Author Topic: Cover Crops  (Read 5115 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Cover Crops
« on: March 30, 2017, 06:30:45 AM »
Anyone have experience with cover crops?  I have some wild vetch growing, but other than that, I have no experience with cover crops. I have planted beans purposefully for the nitrogen benefit, but since I wanted the beans, so it is hard to think of them as a cover crop. Is there an inexpensive way to get seed for cover crops? Will they reseed year after year?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

Re: Cover Crops
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 12:13:04 PM »
Richard after you pick your beans cut the plants down to the ground but leave the roots in the ground. Put the leaf part in the compost.
We've been using beans of all kinds in this way. This year we are planting a bed of potatoes and soy beans. They are friends.  :)   Then when the beans are finished we'll cut back the plants leaving the roots there.

Buckwheat is suppose to be a good cover crop. I don't use cover crops because we use instead a thick layer of compost and leaf mold on our beds in the fall seeing leaves are very plentiful around here.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14