Author Topic: Deer, Aren't They Sweet!  (Read 39457 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Deer, Aren't They Sweet!
« on: July 28, 2008, 05:46:40 PM »
A couple of weeks ago, I found two spotted fawns close to our house. First time they have been this close. They were frightened when they saw me. I then saw their mother not far away. I tried to set aside her fears as she stood frozen hoping her babies would be safe.

Today I feel much differently. She ate all of my tomato plants last night! All 30 plants down to the stumps. :(

I have never needed a fence to keep my garden safe. But, now that our German Shepherd is gone, the deer have free run at night.

Any suggestions?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Re: Deer, Aren't They Sweet!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 03:25:08 AM »
A couple of weeks ago, I found two spotted fawns close to our house. First time they have been this close. I frightened them and then saw their mother not far away. I tried to set aside her fears as she stood frozen hoping her babies would be safe.

Today I feel much differently. She ate all of my tomato plants last night! All 30 plants down to the stumps. :(

I have never needed a fence to keep my garden safe. But, now that our German Shepherd is gone, the deer have free run at night.

Any suggestions?

Welcome to the gourmet deer feeding club!  ;D  You are providing a valuable service to these starving creatures.

There is only one solution that I know of that actually works 100% of the time:  a good fence.  I know exactly how you feel, having lost all of my tomatoes in the same way one time.  In fact, our entire garden (except the potatoes) was eaten by deer one year.  The next year I put in an electric fence.  That worked well until about 2 years ago when a doe with more spring in her step than normal found out she could jump it.  It was about 7' high.  I took it down and put up a new fence with the top wire 9 1/2' off the ground.  They don't jump that.  I space the wires about 15" apart and that seems to work well.  I also have to have a few wires fairly close to the ground (and close to each other) to keep the coons out--they will eat all the corn--usually the day before you were going to pick it.  >:(

A regular barbed wire fence would work, too, if it's high enough.  I do electric because the coons won't climb it.  But you do have to keep the weeds away from the wire to achieve maximum efficiency.  I have a battery operated fencer that works off of a rechargeable 6 volt battery.  I think they also make fencers that will work off of a regular 12 volt car battery.

Have fun!
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Immanuel

• Senior Moderator
  • Jesus is My Judge
    • Emmanuel Institute of Evangelism
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 08:01:28 AM »
Our groundskeeper always battles the deer eating all of the flowers. Since fencing is not practical in this application he uses simple black garden netting. It works well and you cannot see it unless you are up close. Of course in a vegetable garden the netting might be a pain since you would have to move it every time you wanted access to the produce.

Another thing that he tried is using dish soap and a little cayenne pepper diluted in water and sprayed on the flowers. This worked well as a deterrent - one bite and the deer wanted no more - but it did leave a little visible residue. Not sure that I would want to spray that on things I want to consume.

Jim Taylor

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 06:59:36 PM »
 ;D Gourmet deer feeding club!  I like it.  I'd love to see your fence, it sounds superb.  This year I've provided carrot tops, beet tops and strawberries.  My patrons seem very happy.

I've tried human hair, dog hair, fencing, and drinking a lot of water.. and well... you can imagine the rest of that story...  The problem for me is that without anything, they come only rarely, so it is tough to know when to use the temporary deterrents.  I've heard use of white flags as well, apparently white tailed deer see it as alarming.

Last year I walked outside to find a doe in the garden.  I started a slow trot toward it yelling and waving my hands.  The bold thing looked at me and started to walk toward me.  I was a bit shocked.  Fortunately it decided in the next instant to run away.  She should not have given up so quickly, I would have looked like one big chicken if it kept coming toward me.

Years back, I caught a squirrel climbing up a tree with one of my stalks of corn.  He was about 10 feet up, and the stalk was about 5 feet long.  Amazing little critter.  I had a small garden then, and by the time I came home from work, I didn't have any more corn.

As I look this post over, it looks like it is best not to listen to my advice!

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 08:06:27 AM »
;D Gourmet deer feeding club!  I like it.  I'd love to see your fence, it sounds superb.  This year I've provided carrot tops, beet tops and strawberries.  My patrons seem very happy.

I've tried human hair, dog hair, fencing, and drinking a lot of water.. and well... you can imagine the rest of that story...  The problem for me is that without anything, they come only rarely, so it is tough to know when to use the temporary deterrents.  I've heard use of white flags as well, apparently white tailed deer see it as alarming.

I've tried some of those methods you mentioned, as well as others, including hanging pieces of bar soap around the garden.  All of these various methods seem to work--for awhile; but when the deer get hungry enough (or bored with wild fare), they will eventually come to your banquet table.  That's why I'm a firm believer in good fence.  Just remember to turn the fencer on.  If you don't they eventually will figure out that it doesn't bite anymore, and will jump through it--unless you string the wire really close together, which isn't really practical and is unnecessary if you keep the fence on.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 05:55:10 AM »
Today I feel much differently. She ate all of my tomato plants last night! All 30 plants down to the stumps.  :(

Richard! Oh no! Those rascals!

Seems as if there is a large conspiracy to rid us of our tomatoes!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Colleenhf

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 05:57:33 PM »
Oh gardening..isn't it fun?   I lived in MT for 20 years and nothing but a fense worked.  I tried all the things you tried and would have healthy deer to show for it.
Now I live in Alaska..and had to put a 8ft fense to keep the moose out!    Want to trade?   Oh yes...the bears can climb the fenses here :)    Now that I think of it...I think I should ask for a greenhouse!!
Colleen

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 02:58:24 AM »
Oh gardening..isn't it fun?   I lived in MT for 20 years and nothing but a fense worked.  I tried all the things you tried and would have healthy deer to show for it.
Now I live in Alaska..and had to put a 8ft fense to keep the moose out!    Want to trade?   Oh yes...the bears can climb the fenses here :)    Now that I think of it...I think I should ask for a greenhouse!!
Colleen

Even here in Maine we are not exempt from moose issues.  I once had a moose walk through my garden, dragging the fence with him.  He took out half of the fence before he made an abrupt left turn (the wires had gotten tangled around one of his feet).  It took me half a day to repair the damage.  Fortunately moose do not frequent my yard very often.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 08:32:52 AM »
Colleen

I am so thankful that I do not have to deal with Moose and bear!! :)  I am blessed even without my tomato plants! It could be so much worse!!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 10:48:49 AM »
In the deep South where I lived for a number of years, it's not the big critters that are the problem in the garden, but the little ones. Mole crickets. Fire ants. And I can't forget those rototilling rodants that we so often referred to as possom-on-the-half-shell, armadillos.  ;D  ;D
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 10:08:09 AM »
God allowed the thorns and hardpan that we might depend upon Him. Sadly we need all of these difficulties in our lives to perfect our characters.  Next time, I will pray over my tomatoes as well as build a fence. :)

Colleenhf

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 03:52:49 PM »

Even here in Maine we are not exempt from moose issues.  I once had a moose walk through my garden, dragging the fence with him.  He took out half of the fence before he made an abrupt left turn (the wires had gotten tangled around one of his feet).  It took me half a day to repair the damage.  Fortunately moose do not frequent my yard very often.

Oh what a sight I picture!   WE have moose seasonally... Mostly early winter and spring....Last winter I had xmas lights strung on a tree close by my deck and a moose must have got it..the lights were bitten and stings of lights missing, besides parts of the tree missing!
This year I am wrapping the tree with burlap!

Mishka M

• All that He has made is wonderful
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 11:12:54 PM »
Deer, Aren't they sweet. Hmmmmmm, I will need to think this through because when they eat your tomatoes twice, you think "there go my tomatoes again", but then you think, "oh the poor little cute things how are they to know what is garden and what is not?" And then you think, "besides they need to eat too, and they do not have a Food-Max." Oh well I'll probably let them eat them next time too.  ::)
Not one sparrow falls that God does not see.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 05:52:33 AM »
TWICE? Oh No! I am so sorry!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 07:22:37 AM »
Deer, Aren't they sweet. Hmmmmmm, I will need to think this through because when they eat your tomatoes twice, you think "there go my tomatoes again", but then you think, "oh the poor little cute things how are they to know what is garden and what is not?" And then you think, "besides they need to eat too, and they do not have a Food-Max." Oh well I'll probably let them eat them next time too.  ::)

Tall fence, preferably electric.   ;D

Richard Sherwin

• Keeper of Bees
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 07:45:33 AM »
It's hunting season here in Michigan. All the farmers and car owners are hoping for a successfully large harvest. The deer herd is too big, causing millions of damage to crops and autos. When we talk of venison on the grill it's the grill of the car (I've gotten two this way) Sadly we live in a sinful world where killing is a necessary evil.

rs
Laughter is an instant vacation

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 05:19:18 AM »
I had my own very close call with a deer last night. It actually was close enough that I closed my eyes and cringed waiting for the impact but it didn't happen. Praise the Lord! I'm not sure how I missed him or how the car in the other lane missed his/her buddy who was also crossing the road at full speed.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 01:13:48 PM »
It's hunting season here in Michigan. All the farmers and car owners are hoping for a successfully large harvest. The deer herd is too big, causing millions of damage to crops and autos. When we talk of venison on the grill it's the grill of the car (I've gotten two this way) Sadly we live in a sinful world where killing is a necessary evil.

rs

Be glad they just hit the grill.  I've had 2 deer drape themselves across the windshield (while apparently trying to jump over the car)--and walk away from it, in spite of ruining a perfectly good windshield both times.  Here it's moose we worry about, especially at night.  Very hard to see in the dark--no eyeshine, and very tall.

Richard Sherwin

• Keeper of Bees
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 02:21:12 PM »
I can't imagine hitting a moose, that would be like hitting a horse. I guess I should be thankful I live in an area where we just hit deer.

rs
Laughter is an instant vacation

Dora

• For the battle is not yours, but God's.
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 02:46:54 PM »
O, Dear Jim, I am so thankful your gurardian angel was on the alert!  Last year, our son and his wife hit a deer on the way home to Indianapolis from IL.  They could drive the vehicle home, but it sure had to have several spare parts put on it....The deer?  Paul  went back and looked, but never could see it again, as there were woods on both sides of the road, I suppose it hid there.

Brother Richard!  Hitting a moose does sound even worse!!  We live in the country, and when we are coming home and it is dusky dark, I try to keep an eye out everywhere, and there are certain places on the road the deer are more likely to be crossing.  But, they can suddenly appear from seemingly nowhere, and you cannot avoid them.
Dora