Author Topic: Moaning and Groaning  (Read 18464 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Moaning and Groaning
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2008, 11:39:17 AM »
We really do sympathize with you! I don't like moaning and groaning, so I give up some internet experience so that my computer is not placed in such a position. It moans and groans when it is doing a hundred things at once.  Yes, I know that I am "old fashioned" and don't use all of the latest gizmos, but most of the time I am happy. :)  ....and have more time for my family and garden!! :)

I did ask a question about flash and Firefox. Mine does not work with firefox on two computers. I just gave up (so I won't moan and groan) and use IE in this one need.  :(
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2008, 11:50:40 AM »
I did ask a question about flash and Firefox. Mine does not work with firefox on two computers.

I'm not sure what to you tell about this. Only because I have not yet had any problems. I'm using the latest versions of Firefox and Adobe Flash. It usually isn't the case but I'm wondering if there might be some addon/extension for Firefox that is interfering? I'm just thinking out loud. That indeed a bit of a bummer.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2008, 05:23:35 PM »
It truly is a bummer, Jim, because to view videos I have had to install Adobe Flash 8 right fast and then uninstall it to keep things normal. Surely there is a solution. I really don't want to go back to Internet Explorer. The addons to Firefox are too attractive and utterly useful. Do talk to me about using flashblock - maybe that is a possible fix?

Now to the problem with the ISP. Yesterday we had very high winds and blowing snow. Up this high the winds can literally blow you over - it blew out some of my double-pane windows nine years ago. It was so fierce yesterday up in the valley that it broke the screws on the pole holding the relay antenna, so that was the problem.

Now ... all finished moaning and groaning.  :-[ It was not all a loss ... I was able to try out a new recipe on gluten steaks and they turned out very well. So well, that I made three more batches for the freezer! Quick tip: don't ever let that stuff dry around anything you want to keep. It turns into cement!   
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2008, 03:33:49 PM »
I've been moaning and groaning this week. I think my DVD burner is burned out. It won't write no matter what I try. I got it to write one on 27th but not since. It still reads, but I depend on it to back up my files, especially now since I've got a little business going and my HD isn't large enough. I know, 222gigs is enough for most folks, but I'm working in graphics where one file can be 6 or 7 mgs. I'm looking at online storage until I can get an EHD.

It wouldn't write with Roxio on Wednesday and I thought it was the software because of an error message I got. Well, I created a mess when I tried to reinstall Roxio over the current install. I had a mess. Why would Dell send a program disk that contained something different that what was installed? I had to send up a prayer asking for help, and was impressed to boot into safe mode. From there I was able to do a system restore. But that didn't clear all the problems. I still had to uninstall Roxio completely and don't dare try to reinstall. So I have only Windows to write discs and I don't like Windows burning. So I don't really know if it's the software, the burner, or a combination.

O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2008, 05:55:16 PM »
Sister Tirza, it could be that you dvd burner has given up the ghost. There might possibly be a way to test to see if it's software or not and that is download one of these free options and see if it works.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-cd-dvd-burning-software.htm

If you have Vista make sure that the software is Vista compatible first. Vista seems to be kind of picky about that.

Also if you have a Dell computer you should be able to go to http://support.dell.com/ and type in your TAG number under "downloads". If there has been an update to Roxio it should be under "applications".

Please don't let me insult your intelligence if you've already tried or ruled these things out as you seem to be somewhat tech savy yourself.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2008, 08:47:02 PM »
Thank you Jim. I have downloaded some software and will try it. I had gone to Cnet looking for software, but just didn't know what to pick. I am getting an EHD for backup purposes which will help. Then I can think about a new DVD drive if I need one.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2008, 09:14:17 PM »
Well, I tried, and I can tell you something's way wrong. I had to manually trun off the computer, then reboot after attempting to write a disc. I think I'll just not try to burn any more DVD's. One thing it does when it goes to burn is make this really horrible screech. But it still reads CDs. I've had a time with burners that quit burning. This is the first one in this computer that's gone bad. Any recommendations for the best replacement?

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2008, 07:53:18 AM »
I don't have a specific recommendations. It's been too long since I've had to purchase one for work or personally. However, I see now that blue-ray burners are available but it's my understanding that the 25gb dics are still really expensive though.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2009, 06:25:27 PM »
A friend built me a new computer the other day. It is loaded AND fast. As fast as Immanuel's.  ;) This friend also came to help me cut down pesky Rocky Mountain Junipers around the creek as a measure to help both of us tone our muscles through vigorous exercise. This friend also knows how to overhaul a common pickup truck, weld, do plumbing, electrical and HV/AC if necessary. This friend also knows how to cook and do the laundry ...   :o

Now, I ask you, as one who started this thread - between the God in heaven who has the power to save us, sent His only begotten Son to die in our stead, and earthly friends like the one I just described, should I ever moan and groan again? That any one of you would catch me even beginning to utter a slight moan, you have my permission to send me to the corner.

I am more than blest!   

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2009, 07:23:25 PM »
I would like to meet your friend!!  Send him (her) over to visit.   :)
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2013, 02:22:08 PM »
I have not moaned or groaned lately because the Lord has seen fit that I should endure the trials coming my way with a sweet spirit of submission and humility. If, however, I were to moan or groan, it would be over present difficulties with my internet connection. The Lord knows I need a consistent, steady, reliable, ever-present, never tiring connection to do His work, so it is with a most sincere heart that I ask for His help to prop up what remains of a crippled system.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2013, 10:41:21 PM »
Your gave us permission....40 minutes in the corner, young lady!!!   :)  BTW, I am still waiting for a friend like yours!!  Can he sew?

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2013, 05:23:08 AM »
I'm there. Lesson learned. 

Oh, my former worker. LOL  He could do everything else, so I would assume he also earned a badge for sewing!  ;D

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2013, 02:42:27 AM »
He needs to build his own satellite dish and system to start a fast reliable ISP system .
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2013, 05:09:11 AM »
 ;D He would be impressed at your confidence, Ed.