Author Topic: Postcard/Greeting card virus  (Read 2615 times)

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
Postcard/Greeting card virus
« on: June 29, 2008, 12:30:10 PM »
I received an email today from a known source warning about a virus. It even mentioned that it had checked with Snopes.com and it was real. It also had a link to Snopes. I decided to check out Snopes myself, but I did not use the link in the email. Snopes has posted a copy of the email I received which, it seems, is actually a hoax. The virus is real, and very troublesome so it does pay to be aware of it. You can read about it here. I have a couple of friends who forward things like this to me all the time, but never check it out, apparently.  :P
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
Re: Postcard/Greeting card virus
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 04:30:26 PM »
In the last two days I've received 3 emails telling me I have an ecard. Two of them began with "fw:" as if they were being forwarded. I did not open them but permanently deleted them. I did not recognize any of the sender names. Just putting this here as an FYI as this has been a means of spreading viruses and trojans in the past. I'm very leery of opening anything from anyone that I don't know. I may dump some legitimate emails as a result, but better be safe than sorry.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 08:05:48 AM »
Is it safe to open such a message from someone you know? I won't.    It seems that this greeting card thing is a problem and when a person's computer has been hacked, then we get an email from them that has been infected. That is my understanding. So, until we know that the greeting card people have fixed the hole, then what else can we do? I feel badly trashing the cards, but as you say, better safe than infected.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 09:45:59 AM »
So far I have received 5 total in the last few days, two of them going directly to my spam folder. I used to enjoy sending ecards, but no more. It truly is not safe to open them, even if they come from someone you know. If you aren't sure about it, then contact the person it is from and see if they did send a card. If they didn't, trash it.