Author Topic: Bible Translations  (Read 209741 times)

Peter L

Re: Bible Translations
« Reply #340 on: October 26, 2012, 07:14:41 PM »
There is great concern with the increasing use within churches today of the modern "bible" translations, especially the NIV. For many years I have encouraged all that I can to use the King James version of the Bible. Let us discuss the situation and learn why the concern.<P>In His love and grace,    Richard<p>[This message has been edited by Richard Myers (edited 07-04-2001).]

I agree about the KJV and I always use the KJV because others contain errors and are translated from corrupt sources. The KJV is translated from different sources to modern versions.
Revelation 3:20
(20)  Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

colporteur

« Reply #341 on: January 18, 2015, 08:52:36 AM »
 "Others arose from century to century to echo this protest. And those early teachers, who, traversing different lands, and known by various names, bore the character of the Vaudois missionaries, and spread everywhere the knowledge of the gospel, penetrated to the Netherlands. Their doctrines spread rapidly. The Waldensian Bible they translated in verse into the Dutch language. “There is,” they said, “great advantage in it; no jests, no fables, no trifles, no deceits, naught but words of truth. There is, indeed, here and there a hard crust, but even in this the marrow and sweetness of what is good and holy may easily be discovered.” Thus wrote the friends of the ancient faith, in the twelfth century."  {GC88 237.2}

Chapter XIV - Later English Reformers

" While Luther was opening a closed Bible to the people of Germany, Tyndale was impelled by the Spirit of God to do the same for England. Wycliffe's Bible had been translated from the Latin text, which contained many errors. It had never been printed, and the cost of manuscript copies was so great that few but wealthy men or nobles could procure it, and, furthermore, being strictly proscribed by the church, it had had a comparatively narrow circulation. In 1516, a year before the appearance of Luther's theses, Erasmus had published his Greek and Latin version of the New Testament. Now for the first time the Word of God was printed in the original tongue. In this work many errors of former versions were corrected, and the sense was more clearly rendered. It led many among the educated classes to a better knowledge of the truth, and gave a new impetus to the work of reform. But the common people were still, to a great extent, debarred from God's Word. Tyndale was to complete the work of Wycliffe in giving the Bible to his countrymen."  {GC88 245.1}

It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

ltvvaughn

« Reply #342 on: January 23, 2015, 07:16:24 PM »
I searched this thread and couldn't find any information on Constantine Simonides.  He lived during the time of Tischendorf who discovered and obtained the Sinaiticus manuscripts, on which Westcott and Hort partially based their translation of the Bible.  Simonides was a well known palaeographer, forger, and dealer in ancient writings and books.  Some time after Tischendorf "discovered" the manuscripts, Simonides claimed that they were forged, and he should know because he claimed to have forged them.  There was evidence that this is plausible and even likely.  The Sinaiticus contained hieroglyphs with which Simonides was very familiar.   Simonides had also been to the monestary where Tischendorf found the manuscripts.

Do the research and you'll find this story is plausible.  Here's a link with a little more information:

http://greatbiblehoax.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-truth-about-constantine-simonides.html

I heard a retired teacher, David Allen, who goes around promoting different translations and versions of the Bible.  He defends Westcott and Hort, attacks Walter Veith, and loves the NIV and believes in the manuscripts it is based upon.  He styles himself as a somewhat of an expert and has a website called www.delightinhisword.com.  I asked him if he had ever heard of Constantine Simonides and he stated that he had not.  He was invited to speak at our camp meeting last year and also to our elders'/deacons' and pastors' meetings.  He has some good thoughts but I believe that some of his research is incomplete, which would probably change his point of view if he were open minded enough.
LtV
If we can't be united in Truth . . . we dare not unite at all!

sdajeff

• Regular Membership
  • The storm is brewing
« Reply #343 on: January 19, 2016, 02:58:18 PM »
If you can line these up and see which verses have been totally omitted from the new testament of the updated versions of the "modern" translations.

Verses "Taken Away" in the New Testament
T = Taken Away   F = Taken Away in Footnote
VERSE   NIV   NASV   NKJV   RSV   NRSV   NCV   LIV
Matt 12:47   F         T   F     
Matt 17:21   T   T   F   T   T   T   F
Matt 18:11   T   T   F   T   T   T   F
Matt 21:44   F         T   F   F   
Matt 23:14   T   T   F   T   T   T   
Mark 7:16   T   T   F   T   T   T   T
Mark 9:44   T   T   F   T   T   T   T
Mark 9:46   T   T   F   T   T   T   T
Mark 11:26   T   T   F   T   T   T   T
Mark 15:28   T   T   F   T   T   T   F
Mark 16:9-20   F   F   F   T   F   F   F
Luke 17:36   T   T   F   T   T   T   
Luke 22:43   F   F   F   T   F     
Luke 22:44   F   F   F   T   F     
Luke 23:17   T   T   F   T   T   T   T
Luke 24:12      F      T   F     
Luke 24:40      T      T   F     
John 5:4   T   T   F   T   T   T   F
John 7:53 - 8:11   F   F      T   F   F   F
Acts 8:37   T   T   F   T   T   T   F
Acts 15:34   T   T   F   T   T   T   T
Acts 24:7   T   T      T   T   T   
Acts 28:29   T   T   F   T   T   T   T
Rom. 16:24   T   T   F   T   T   T   
2 Cor. 13:14               T     
James 1:8            T   T     
MARANATHA
God bless you
Jeff

colporteur

« Reply #344 on: September 18, 2018, 06:26:57 AM »
Many of the new Translations have Jesus sinning by implication.

" But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother, WITHOUT A CAUSE shall be in danger of the judgment.... " KJV. Matt. 5:22

Many of the new translations leave out " without a cause."   For instance NASB  " But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court,..."

Now couple this verse with Mark 3:5  " And when he had looked round about on them with anger, being grieved for the harness of their hearts,.... " KJV

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #345 on: September 18, 2018, 07:55:16 AM »
Yes, cp, many new translations lead away from truth.  I have not studied them all, but we ought to know that the common new translations are here to mislead. Our understanding is not based on what man says, but upon the Written Word. If it is wrong, then we are in danger. The KJV is not perfect, but it is very good. It is consistent from Genesis to Revelation.  My understanding is not from reading what others have said of it or the new translations, but from my experience of beginning with the NIV and then for the last 30 years studying from the KJV. I can only speak of one error in translation in it. There may be more, but I have not seen them.

There are many faulty translations in the new translations I have looked at. The one that I see is most dangerous and quoted to mislead is Romans 8:1.  We heave it quoted all the time. "There is no condemnation to those in Christ Jesus." Therefor, all are saved as long as they are in Christ. This is true, but "in Christ" even in God's church has been mistaught by false teachers. The KJV tells who it is that is in Christ. Those who do not walk after the flesh, but after the Spirit. The NIV just removed this. It is not by accident that this has been removed. Those who listen to others and do not study for themselves have taken captive and unless they begin to study for themselves will be eternally lost.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

colporteur

« Reply #346 on: March 31, 2019, 06:53:26 AM »
 I'm curious about something. In Ministry of Healing under the chapter heading " The Builders of the Home" on the first page Canticles 4:7 is quoted. This is from the Vulgate. In other copies Song of Solomon 4:7 is quoted. It does not seem likely to me that Mrs. White quoted out of the Latin Vulgate / Catholic Bible. Does anyone know the history on this ?

Glen McCluskey

« Reply #347 on: March 31, 2019, 06:39:22 PM »
I'm curious about something. In Ministry of Healing under the chapter heading " The Builders of the Home" on the first page Canticles 4:7 is quoted. This is from the Vulgate. In other copies Song of Solomon 4:7 is quoted. It does not seem likely to me that Mrs. White quoted out of the Latin Vulgate / Catholic Bible. Does anyone know the history on this ?

"Canticles" is another name for "Song of Solomon".

My version of the Bible Commentary says the following.

The Song of SOLOMON

INTRODUCTION

1. Title.  The book is commonly known as the Song of Solomon.  Its Latin name is Canticum Canticorum, from which is derived the title "Canticles," abbreviated below as Cant.  In the Hebrew it is called Shir Hashshirim, "the song of songs," perhaps idiomatic for "the best of Solomon's many songs," in the same sense that "the King of kings" means, "the supreme King."

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #348 on: March 31, 2019, 07:57:28 PM »
Thanks for the information, Glen. It is a blessing to have the minds of a multitude of counselors who love Jesus supremely.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #349 on: April 01, 2019, 02:47:21 AM »

Why  not?  Not everything in the Vulgate is erroneous.  I doubt that the White Estate tampered with the actual text of the book.  My copy was copyrighted in 1942, long before attempts were being made to "modernize" her writings by putting them in contemporary English.  She sometimes quoted from the RV, which reads a lot like the Douay version.  The NT authors often  quoted from the LXX, which often varies from the Masoretic text.

I wouldn't lose sleep over this.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

colporteur

« Reply #350 on: April 01, 2019, 11:04:25 AM »
Well, not everything in the Douay Bible is wrong either but I notice that she did not ever quote it.