Author Topic: Bible Translations  (Read 104879 times)

Peter L

Re: Bible Translations
« Reply #340 on: October 26, 2012, 07:14:41 PM »
There is great concern with the increasing use within churches today of the modern "bible" translations, especially the NIV. For many years I have encouraged all that I can to use the King James version of the Bible. Let us discuss the situation and learn why the concern.<P>In His love and grace,    Richard<p>[This message has been edited by Richard Myers (edited 07-04-2001).]

I agree about the KJV and I always use the KJV because others contain errors and are translated from corrupt sources. The KJV is translated from different sources to modern versions.
Revelation 3:20
(20)  Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

colporteur

« Reply #341 on: January 18, 2015, 08:52:36 AM »
 "Others arose from century to century to echo this protest. And those early teachers, who, traversing different lands, and known by various names, bore the character of the Vaudois missionaries, and spread everywhere the knowledge of the gospel, penetrated to the Netherlands. Their doctrines spread rapidly. The Waldensian Bible they translated in verse into the Dutch language. “There is,” they said, “great advantage in it; no jests, no fables, no trifles, no deceits, naught but words of truth. There is, indeed, here and there a hard crust, but even in this the marrow and sweetness of what is good and holy may easily be discovered.” Thus wrote the friends of the ancient faith, in the twelfth century."  {GC88 237.2}

Chapter XIV - Later English Reformers

" While Luther was opening a closed Bible to the people of Germany, Tyndale was impelled by the Spirit of God to do the same for England. Wycliffe's Bible had been translated from the Latin text, which contained many errors. It had never been printed, and the cost of manuscript copies was so great that few but wealthy men or nobles could procure it, and, furthermore, being strictly proscribed by the church, it had had a comparatively narrow circulation. In 1516, a year before the appearance of Luther's theses, Erasmus had published his Greek and Latin version of the New Testament. Now for the first time the Word of God was printed in the original tongue. In this work many errors of former versions were corrected, and the sense was more clearly rendered. It led many among the educated classes to a better knowledge of the truth, and gave a new impetus to the work of reform. But the common people were still, to a great extent, debarred from God's Word. Tyndale was to complete the work of Wycliffe in giving the Bible to his countrymen."  {GC88 245.1}

It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

ltvvaughn

« Reply #342 on: January 23, 2015, 07:16:24 PM »
I searched this thread and couldn't find any information on Constantine Simonides.  He lived during the time of Tischendorf who discovered and obtained the Sinaiticus manuscripts, on which Westcott and Hort partially based their translation of the Bible.  Simonides was a well known palaeographer, forger, and dealer in ancient writings and books.  Some time after Tischendorf "discovered" the manuscripts, Simonides claimed that they were forged, and he should know because he claimed to have forged them.  There was evidence that this is plausible and even likely.  The Sinaiticus contained hieroglyphs with which Simonides was very familiar.   Simonides had also been to the monestary where Tischendorf found the manuscripts.

Do the research and you'll find this story is plausible.  Here's a link with a little more information:

http://greatbiblehoax.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-truth-about-constantine-simonides.html

I heard a retired teacher, David Allen, who goes around promoting different translations and versions of the Bible.  He defends Westcott and Hort, attacks Walter Veith, and loves the NIV and believes in the manuscripts it is based upon.  He styles himself as a somewhat of an expert and has a website called www.delightinhisword.com.  I asked him if he had ever heard of Constantine Simonides and he stated that he had not.  He was invited to speak at our camp meeting last year and also to our elders'/deacons' and pastors' meetings.  He has some good thoughts but I believe that some of his research is incomplete, which would probably change his point of view if he were open minded enough.
LtV
If we can't be united in Truth . . . we dare not unite at all!

sdajeff

• Regular Membership
  • The storm is brewing
« Reply #343 on: January 19, 2016, 02:58:18 PM »
If you can line these up and see which verses have been totally omitted from the new testament of the updated versions of the "modern" translations.

Verses "Taken Away" in the New Testament
T = Taken Away   F = Taken Away in Footnote
VERSE   NIV   NASV   NKJV   RSV   NRSV   NCV   LIV
Matt 12:47   F         T   F     
Matt 17:21   T   T   F   T   T   T   F
Matt 18:11   T   T   F   T   T   T   F
Matt 21:44   F         T   F   F   
Matt 23:14   T   T   F   T   T   T   
Mark 7:16   T   T   F   T   T   T   T
Mark 9:44   T   T   F   T   T   T   T
Mark 9:46   T   T   F   T   T   T   T
Mark 11:26   T   T   F   T   T   T   T