Author Topic: "We Glory in Tribulations"  (Read 14408 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: "We Glory in Tribulations"
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2010, 07:39:00 AM »
I think so, dear brother. There is so very much in life that we need never have suffered. I will give just one example that will make it very clear that we reap what we sow and God never intended such evil.

We all know situations where a young woman and a young man marry before they were truly converted. They did not seek parental approval, nor did they seek God's counsel. After marriage they bring into the world children. At some point they find that not having an anchor in Christ, they cannot live with each other and they and their children suffer in ways that God never intended. God hates divorce and the misery that follows for the children is something that none can believe is the same as the trials that God has a direct hand in bringing to His children. God will use these difficulties to our good if we let Him, but these trials were we reap what we have sown are different than the ones that come when we are walking in the light as He is in the light.

The amazing thing is that the life hidden in Christ, is given power to accept even the trials we bring upon ourselves. We focus on Christ and His great love and forgiveness and He lifts us above our own defects and past sins. He makes us new creatures that live to bless others in spite of where we have come from.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 04:17:03 AM »
Hummm. I have been pondering your question, Jim, and must agree with Richard, especially this statement:

God will use these difficulties to our good if we let Him, but these trials w[h]ere we reap what we have sown are different than the ones that come when we are walking in the light as He is in the light.

Maybe we can discuss this further. It has far-reaching implications deeply embedded in Scriptural principles.

Situations I set up for myself (sowing time) while in the world have a direct effect on my Christian life (reaping the whirlwind). I cannot draw a line in the sand on the day of my baptism into His church saying everything that has gone before no longer can rear its head and condemn me. I must live with the consequences of decisions made "way back when" I knew nothing of God. A life changed, sins confessed and a new way of living can be placed in the category of Redeeming the Time. God forgives and is merciful but He is also just in dealing with these issues. 
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Tim2

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 04:57:57 AM »
Here's a quote that I need to keep reminding myself of -- I want to let my trials do their intended work, but it's hard to remember at the time that I'm going through them.

God has shown me that He gave His people a bitter cup to drink, to purify and cleanse them. It is a bitter draught, and they can make it still more bitter by murmuring, complaining, and repining. But those who receive it thus must have another draught, for the first does not have its designed effect upon the heart. And if the second does not effect the work, then they must have another, and another, until it does have its designed effect, or they will be left filthy, impure in heart. I saw that this bitter cup can be sweetened by patience, endurance, and prayer, and that it will have its designed effect upon the hearts of those who thus receive it, and God will be honored and glorified. It is no small thing to be a Christian and to be owned and approved of God. The Lord has shown me some who profess the present truth, whose lives do not correspond with their profession. They have the standard of piety altogether too low, and they come far short of Bible holiness. Some engage in vain and unbecoming conversation, and others give way to the risings of self. We must not expect to please ourselves, live and act like the world, have its pleasures, and enjoy the company of those who are of the world, and reign with Christ in glory.  {EW 47.1}

Ouch!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 05:17:58 AM »
Oh, yes, Brother Tim. The lesson is given again and again, until learned. How hot that furnace can get! May God help us endure that which is best fitted to refine and purify, and - that we will accept it without murmuring and in fact, glory in the tribulation. How foreign is that to the human nature? Utterly so! Only God's grace can turn it into an experience we know can fit us for heavenly citizenship.

I suppose all of this begs the question: How unlike our experience was His own? It is no different but most times we believe ours is so unique, so different that we feel put upon. He endured this and more. He was God on earth with a much greater battle than ours. Sometimes we simply forget that.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 01:20:45 PM »
When we see Jesus and His suffering, when we see our heavenly Father and His suffering as His Son suffered, we shall better understand how blessed we are to suffer with them. We will willingly glory in our tribulation, knowing that it works for our good and their glory! Yes, it is painful, but it serves a purpose. What a blessing to be able to glorify the One who gave all for us! It is not too much!~
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 03:47:32 AM »
No, it is not too much. A wise woman said, "Heaven is cheap enough."

Donna H

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2010, 09:46:49 AM »
We could also consider our tribulations as good practice for the last plagues. I would like to use my tribulations now to learn how to rely on God and to be godly under severe circumstances, to practice my Christian integrity, being grateful at all times. Those of us who will be ready, will not be watching the plagues play out and enduring the circumstances it brings us personally praying, "Why me, God? Why me?".  No. We'll be praying, "Thank you, God, for the tribulations. Thank you, God for teaching me to rely on you fully. Thank you, God, for refining me through my life and preparing me." Any one who will still be praying "Why me?" will probably not be ready.

James 1:1-8
1 James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.
2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
3 Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
4 But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.
8 A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

We have such great opportunity through our strife and struggles to rid ourselves of doube mindedness. Sometimes I think the harder the struggle, the deeper we are able to search ourselves; the harder the struggle, the greater the opportunity to truly emulate Christ, who while during His own murder was able to say, "Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do." Also, Stephen prayed this when he was stoned to death, just before he passed into sleep. It's such an excellent opportunity to acknowledge the enemy and the destruction he causes and to seperate the sin from the sinner and learn compassion. It's a depth of compassion beyond human capability carrying the weight of incredible, unknowable even, loss, but it is ours to carry. It's such a great opportunity to wholly focus on God, and not let ourselves be swayed and weakened by whatever the enemy throws at us in whatever costume it wears. We are God's children and our aim is to love not our lives unto death. "And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death". Rev, 12:11

We'll be in union with God while the world is falling apart around us. Like Stephen, who, while in the death circumstance of being stoned, was in union with the Father. He was praying to Him, thinking of the ones who were stoning him and their salvation, while being brutalized and passing onto death. That is a focus and trust, a complete separation from sin and the sinful world, such a close and total union with God, a reliance that I just love to contemplate. I imagine he was gathered in God's love as it was happening. I imagine he was so in the Spirit that nothing in the flesh could really touch him. Such total union is that. I want that to be me.

Ellen White says the cost of heaven is cheap enough. I have to agree, and not just trust. Because tribulation is where we find victory, and growth, and our "full stature of man", sacrifice, maturity. Living in times of peace is easy, but we have not been called to the easy road. We've been called to the narrow road, which few ever find. Thank God, and praise Him, for our tribulations. Who would want to go through the last plagues without preparation? Not me.

I understand, it feels like death, making that separation. Parting with the anger, and the frustration, and the venemous rage. It feels like I'm literally being torn apart. It feels very violent and it's grueling to suffer through such a challenge. Just not understanding is sometimes enough. But how worth it when we have victory? How worth it when we don't succumb to fear and doubt? All those feelings and temptations of the flesh hang on like the enemy himself with an army of 10 thousand angels. But God is greater, and we are privelaged to witness the gentle victorious strength of Him in our lives throught the struggles. We have to be wiling to let it go. And it will all come to an end.

I often think about my daughter, who has not accepted the gift. I wonder, if she doesn't ever accept it, and she turns on me in the last days, will I be able to leave her behind? Not just physically, but whatever attachment I will have to her - anger, fear, betrayal, grief, grief. Will I be able to watch her storm New Jerusalem and trust God? We need to be prepared for that sort of heart ache, and be prepared to follow Jesus, and to trust, no matter what. I don't know about you, but I need the practice. And again, like Ms. White said

God has shown me that He gave His people a bitter cup to drink, to purify and cleanse them. It is a bitter draught, and they can make it still more bitter by murmuring, complaining, and repining. But those who receive it thus must have another draught, for the first does not have its designed effect upon the heart. And if the second does not effect the work, then they must have another, and another, until it does have its designed effect, or they will be left filthy, impure in heart. I saw that this bitter cup can be sweetened by patience, endurance, and prayer, and that it will have its designed effect upon the hearts of those who thus receive it, and God will be honored and glorified. It is no small thing to be a Christian and to be owned and approved of God.  {EW 47.1}

I want to accept with gratitude and a wholly open heart for God, the opportunities that we are given through tribulation, and learn with eagerness. By the grace of God, we can rise above life in the flesh, and hold dear the law and mercy of God in all circumstances, trusting in Him, that He's always working for our good, no matter what. 

"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Romans 8:18

Our minds are not set on this world, or the sufferings that come with it.

Donna

Faith is the living power that presses through every barrier, overrides all obstacles, and plants its banner in the heart of the enemy’s camp. 4T 163.3

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2010, 10:30:14 AM »
Whew - you have certainly laid it out, dear sister. It is also my prayer.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2010, 10:17:12 AM »
I was reading DA this morning and thought of this discussion. For me it was a sobering statement. Here is this the making of a good sermon but few would probably wish to hear it.

Simon had heard of Jesus. His sons were believers in the Saviour, but he himself was not a disciple. The bearing of the cross to Calvary was a blessing to Simon, and he was ever after grateful for this providence. It led him to take upon himself the cross of Christ from choice, and ever cheerfully stand beneath its burden.  {DA 742.3}
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2010, 11:28:46 AM »
from choice

Therein is the key.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2010, 01:19:06 PM »
Amen! And that is why we have the Word of God so that we are not surprised that our life is to be a life of joy in tribulation. :)  Jesus is our Elder Brother as well as our God. He is one of  us in that He is fully man. I do not mean to bring Him down from heaven or us up from hell. But, He has taken upon Himself our human nature. Such a thought!!!!  That God is today in human flesh!!!  That ought to be enough for us to glory in whatever befalls us!

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2014, 10:03:01 AM »
And for those also who mourn in trial and sorrow there is comfort. The bitterness of grief and humiliation is better than the indulgences of sin. Through affliction God reveals to us the plague spots in our characters, that by His grace we may overcome our faults. Unknown chapters in regard to ourselves are opened to us, and the test comes, whether we will accept the reproof and the counsel of God. When brought into trial, we are not to fret and complain. We should not rebel, or worry ourselves out of the hand of Christ. We are to humble the soul before God. The ways of the Lord are obscure to him who desires to see things in a light pleasing to himself. They appear dark and joyless to our human nature. But God's ways are ways of mercy and the end is salvation. {DA 301.1} 
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2014, 10:43:36 AM »
A resounding Amen! His power and grace is with us through it all. That is what we cannot lose sight of while in the midst of it.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2014, 01:06:27 PM »
Amen!!  What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us!!  He that spared not His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things!!!