Author Topic: SDA History - Evangelism S.O.P.& Bible "Bowl"  (Read 116094 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: SDA History - Evangelism S.O.P.& Bible "Bowl"
« Reply #100 on: June 12, 2009, 06:32:23 PM »
You are a certified stinker!  ;D ;D ;D
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Vicki

« Reply #101 on: June 12, 2009, 07:36:10 PM »
YAY!  :D

You know, that crossed my mind - BUT, we just finished with Fitch. You are a tricky one, Mr. Immanuel!

Okay - Vicki! Give us another good one!

He came to my mind right off, but I didn't mention him sooner for the same reason.

Give me a few minutes here to think of something that you hopefully won't get in 2 minutes or less...

Vicki

« Reply #102 on: June 12, 2009, 07:53:25 PM »
Health message related...

Of our pioneers, who didn't mind beans every day but didin't want them so often?

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #103 on: June 12, 2009, 08:24:11 PM »
James White? Purely a guess. This one is a stumper! If not, please give us a clue ... 

Immanuel

• Senior Moderator
  • Jesus is My Judge
    • Emmanuel Institute of Evangelism
« Reply #104 on: June 12, 2009, 08:31:45 PM »
Health message related...

Of our pioneers, who didn't mind beans every day but didin't want them so often?

Hmmmm... I just heard this, but cannot remember the person. Any more hints?

Dora

• For the battle is not yours, but God's.
« Reply #105 on: June 12, 2009, 08:39:45 PM »
It was Uriah Smith, said he didn't mind beans every day, but did not choose to eat them 365 days a year!! :D
Dora

Immanuel

• Senior Moderator
  • Jesus is My Judge
« Reply #106 on: June 12, 2009, 08:42:03 PM »
It was Uriah Smith, said he didn't mind beans every day, but did not choose to eat them 365 days a year!! :D

I thought it might be him but I couldn't remember! He was a character!  :)

Larry Lyons

« Reply #107 on: June 12, 2009, 11:23:44 PM »
I have one. At one time Ellen White had a watch dog. What was his name?

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #108 on: June 13, 2009, 04:40:07 AM »

I remember one by the name of Tiglath-pileser that she had while in Australia.  Is that the one?
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Vicki

« Reply #109 on: June 13, 2009, 05:21:33 AM »

Yay, for Dora! We laughed when we read that in The Spirit of Sacrifice and Commitment, Experiences of Seventh-day Adventist pioneers, p 74. A cook the White's had didn't understand much on variety, but she did understand the value of beans - the budget could stretch farther when feeding 15 people in the White's home, 7 of whom were "hearty men and boys." Uriah Smith had been with them for a few weks when he commented to someone that "though he had no objection to eating beans 365 time in succession, yet when it came to making them a regular diet, he should protest!"  ;D 

Larry Lyons

« Reply #110 on: June 13, 2009, 08:35:32 AM »

I remember one by the name of Tiglath-pileser that she had while in Australia.  Is that the one?
Yep, thats the one.

Vicki, that is a funny story. Smith had a good sense of humor.

Vicki

« Reply #111 on: June 13, 2009, 09:34:43 AM »

Odd name. Anyone know if it means anything?

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2009, 10:11:51 AM »

According to the Bible Commentary it is a Hebrew transliteration of the Assyrian Tukulti-apil-Esharra, which means "my trust is in the son of Esharra," (that is, the god Ninib).  I suspect they didn't choose the name because of its meaning, just as we usually don't choose names for their meanings.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Vicki

« Reply #113 on: June 13, 2009, 10:16:58 AM »

According to the Bible Commentary it is a Hebrew transliteration of the Assyrian Tukulti-apil-Esharra, which means "my trust is in the son of Esharra," (that is, the god Ninib).  I suspect they didn't choose the name because of its meaning, just as we usually don't choose names for their meanings.

I would agree with you on that. Perhaps it was chosen for how easily it rolls off the tongue.   :D 

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2009, 11:28:01 AM »

I would agree with you on that. Perhaps it was chosen for how easily it rolls off the tongue.   :D 

Can you say "Tiglath-pileser" 5 times really fast.  ;D

Vicki

« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2009, 11:44:50 AM »

Can you say "Tiglath-pileser" 5 times really fast.  ;D

;D You first...busy buzzing bumblebees was already a hilarious disaster this week.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #116 on: June 13, 2009, 01:44:48 PM »
He loved studying the stars.

He especially loved the "amazing astronomical questions" of Job:

Job 38:31-33: “Can thou bind the sweet influences [or as the American Revised Version says, “the cluster”] of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion? Can thou bring forth Mazzaroth in his season? or can thou guide Areturus with his sons? Know thou the ordinances of heaven? can thou set the dominion thereof in the earth?”

He was a pioneer of sorts.

Immanuel

• Senior Moderator
  • Jesus is My Judge
« Reply #117 on: June 13, 2009, 02:08:11 PM »

Job 38:31-33: “Can thou bind the sweet influences [or as the American Revised Version says, “the cluster”] of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion? Can thou bring forth Mazzaroth in his season? or can thou guide Areturus with his sons? Know thou the ordinances of heaven? can thou set the dominion thereof in the earth?”

Bates?

Vicki

« Reply #118 on: June 13, 2009, 02:27:14 PM »

Bates?

Logical thinking, Immanuel. He had been a sea captain, right? That would be a good reason to love the study of stars. But I'm thinking it's not him because he would definitely be a "pioneer" not "of sorts" - but I don't have a guess of my own yet. :P

Immanuel

• Senior Moderator
  • Jesus is My Judge
« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2009, 02:35:00 PM »

Bates?

Logical thinking, Immanuel. He had been a sea captain, right? That would be a good reason to love the study of stars. But I'm thinking it's not him because he would definitely be a "pioneer" not "of sorts" - but I don't have a guess of my own yet. :P

Yes, the "pioneer of sorts" did throw me. Bates was very interested in astronomy. It was him who was convinced of the validity of the SOP because of a message that he personally heard where EGW talked about the number of moons around one of the planets. (Jupiter?) Being uneducated as she was she could not have known except through a divine source. There is much more to that story, but this is the part that made me think of Bates.