Author Topic: How To Grow In Grace  (Read 6939 times)

M.A. Crawford

• http://
How To Grow In Grace
« on: March 02, 2001, 05:45:00 AM »
In requesting this new topic, Bro. Battler wrote: "...When I first joined the church, in giving my heart to Jesus; our church taught me some basics of salvation that have helped me through thick and thin for almost 13 years now." We would like for him to share with us those basics of salvation that will, hopefully, also be a blessing to others.

M.A.

M.A.

DavidTBattler

How To Grow In Grace
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2001, 07:18:00 PM »
Thankyou for allowing this topic.  I have quite a few notes on this subject; which I will refine a portion of, and post each Sabbath, allowing a week for comments/discussion.

Whenever I have a rough time in life; I like to go back to these notes, according to the directions given in Ministry Of Healing; which you will read in a moment...

Happy Sabbath To All!

We all have times where our faith is tested; and it is at these times that it can be a good idea to go back to the very roots of our faith, where we first walked with the Lord.  “He who began a good work in you, will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.”  (Phil.1:6).

“When temptations assail you, when care, perplexity, and darkness seem to surround your soul, look to the place where you last saw the light.  Rest in Christ’s love, and under His protecting care.  When sin struggles for the mastery in the heart, when guilt oppresses the soul, and burdens the conscience, when unbelief clouds the mind; remember that Christ'’ grace is sufficient to subdue sin, and banish the darkness.

Entering into communion with the Savior, we enter the region of peace.”  
(Ministry Of Healing, pg. 250).

The basics of salvation, and our relationship to God are in His Word; and this paper is an attempt to portray where my understanding was when I first gave my heart to Jesus.  By going back to these spiritual roots; as taught to me by the SDA Church, I find personal strength and restoration: it is my hope that others will also find strength and encouragement as I post this material.  I will just do small bits at a time, and allow a few days or so for comments between posts.  Please add your “treasures” to the “chest.”

One of the first questions that the SDA Church ever asked me was this:

1/  Is Jesus BOTH your Savior and your Lord?  If so, what must you do?

Answer:

Job 22:21  Acquaint now thyself with him, and be at peace: thereby good shall come unto thee. {him: that is, God}

2 Pet.3:18 - But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

The gift of God, (salvation), and the claim of God, (obedience to His commandments), are inseparably connected.  God’s gift, and God’s claim, reflects the fundamental Truth that Jesus is BOTH Savior and Lord to the Christian.

Christ’s relationship to the believer serves to illustrate the relationship between “justification,” and “judgement.”  

By looking for “works” as the fruit of faith, the judgement is, in effect, a testimony to the reality of a person’s salvation.  The judgement by ‘works” does not stand in some sort of contradictory relationship to “justification; but rather, in a relationship of fulfilment.  The judgement by “works” shows the actual performance, by God, of a my salvation.  To reject judgement “according to works,” would be a denial of the total completeness of God’s plan of redemption and restoration.

2 Cor.5:10  For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

The Christ of the cross Who justifies, always says as Lord of any person who is justified:

Luke 9:23 “If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.”

The judgement provides evidence of, and witness to, the reality and genuineness of this “following” that Jesus mentions in Luke 9:23, above.  In His dual office of Savior AND Lord; Christ has judged sin at the cross; He justifies the sinner, on the basis of their faith response, and judges the justified, by their works.

The cross is the means by which justification is accomplished for the Christian.  Faith is the means by which justification is accepted by the believer.  Works of righteousness testify to the total reality, and vitality, of the justification of Jesus, in a person’s heart.  The absence of the works of righteousness, indicates a broken relationship with Jesus.

This relationship  between justification, and judgement, can be seen better by placing it in the setting of a brief study on the relationship between Christ as my Savior, and Christ as my Lord...That is...the relationship between the GIFT of God, to me, and the CLAIM of God on me.

Christ: My Savior And My Lord

“Grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.”  (2 Pet.3:18).

I have found that to try an separate God’s gift, from God’s claim, on my heart and on my life, is like trying to segregate Christ as Savior, and Christ as Lord, into two separate entities picking which ever of the two seems best at the moment.  But how can one have Christ only as their Lord, or, only as their Savior?  Christ comes to us as both.  That’s who He is.  And there is an intimate bond between these two realities.

In particular, the Savior-hood of Christ is revealed at the cross, where the love of Christ, already manifested during His earthly life, receives it’s climactic expression.  I have been so excited to see that the Lordship of Jesus, with me, is precisely established through His love for me!  As Lord, Christ rules from the cross!  The self-giving love of Christ, revealed in His life and death, is the very heart of His reign over my mind and my life!  There is no other principle in the crown of Christ, than in the principle of the cross of Christ.  As one of my favorite Christian writers once put it: “In the cross all influence centres, and from it, all influence goes forth.”  (Man.56, 1899).

To speak of Jesus’ Lordship, is specifically to say that His sacrificial love is meant to prevail over all the earth.  Therein lies His Lordship.  As my Lord, Jesus claims my entire life for His amazing love.  With the inseparable Christ as both my Savior, and my Lord, I can readily see how there is an intimate connection, between what Christ gives to me; and what Christ claims of me.  

My Jesus comes to me in love.  In the Light and strength of His love; my Jesus asks that I be loving.

My Jesus comes to me in mercy.  In the joy and power of His mercy; my Jesus asks that I be merciful.

My Jesus comes to me in forgiveness.  In the great comfort and relief of His forgiveness; my Jesus asks that I be forgiving.

My Jesus comes to me in kindness.  In the inspiration and strength of His kindness; my Jesus asks me to be kind.

My Jesus comes to me in gentleness.  Under the power of the soft touch of His gentleness; my Jesus asks me to be gentle.

My Jesus comes to me in sacrifice.  In the  dauntless example of His sacrifice; my Jesus asks me to live and give sacrificially.

My Jesus comes to me, to be a servant to me; and in His astounding ministry of serving; my Jesus asks me to give a little bit back, by serving at every opportunity.

All that I can do or be as a Christian, is revealed in, and is the product of what Christ has done for me personally!  That’s why I always have a testimony on my lips, of something He has done!   Of who He is to me! (Rev.12:11).  The wonderful gift of God, that is, the gift of salvation, in His Son, is both the content of Christ’s claim on me, and the strength for me to fulfill His claims!  There is power in the blood!  There is power in the blood!  That’s why the Bible assures us that: “nothing can separate us from the love of God.”  (Rom.8:38).  I mean really – how can Calvary ever be undone!

(To be continued....)    :)

------------------
Courage is fear that has said it's prayer...Therefore, "be of good courage."

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

[This message has been edited by DavidTBattler (edited 03-02-2001).]

M.A. Crawford

How To Grow In Grace
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2001, 06:15:00 AM »
Bro. Battler, thank you for your post and I, for one, will be looking forward to your future presentations. I plan to make a comment on this one very shortly.

Don't become discouraged by the lack of participation of those who read. Go right ahead and post your messages as you believe you are led of the Lord and don't worry about whether anyone posts a reply or not.

M.A.

M.A.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
How To Grow In Grace
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2001, 08:29:00 AM »
Amen, Brother David.  :)

Richard

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

DavidTBattler

How To Grow In Grace
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2001, 10:27:00 PM »
Hello Brothers & Sisters

Just a quick comment on my first post here.  When someone I know read the first post I made above, I got a bit of a lecture about being obsessed with "works."

My comments at the end of the first post are particulary related to my understanding of Jesus' attitude about our "works."   :)

This will unfold more as we progress, of course.  That's why I called it How To GROW In Grace."  That's in the progressive sense!   :)

------------------
"...We believe that through the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, we shall be saved..."  (Acts 15:11).

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

M.A. Crawford

How To Grow In Grace
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2001, 06:18:00 AM »
"Is Jesus BOTH your Savior and your Lord? If so, what must you do?"

In reference to Jesus as Savior and Lord in the life of a Christian, one writer wrote: "...the problem is not so much of having Jesus as Savior...but when it comes to permitting Christ to come into our lives, be Lord, and reign supreme, that is another matter. There are some who are not willing to remove 'self' from the throne of their hearts and make Christ King and Lord. As a result many are guilty--as were Ananias and Sapphira--of 'holding back' something...they are unwilling to give up...." And more often than not, that "something they are unwilling to give up" is usually some "pet" sin such as dislike, contempt, or scorn for another.

Do you agree with these statements, Bro. Battler?

M.A.

M.A.

DavidTBattler

How To Grow In Grace
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2001, 06:28:00 AM »
Yes.  I certainly do agree.  it is almost habitual for us to hide something away in the recesses of our experience; and think no one sees it; but God says: "the hidden things will be revealed."  Jesus must be Lord, or we will have an experience that falls short of His ideal for us.

Here is the next section I have prepared.

Jesus Will Help You

Jesus Came To Seek And Save The Lost:

“For the Son of man came to seek and save the lost.”  “In the parable, the Shepherd goes out to search for one sheep – the very least that can be numbered.  So [too], if there had been one lost soul, Christ would have died for that one...The sheep that has strayed from the fold, is the most helpless of all creatures.  It must be sought for by the Shepherd; for it cannot find it’s way back.  So with the soul that has wandered away from God; [they] are as helpless as the lost sheep, and unless divine love had come to [their] rescue, [they] could never find [their] way to God.”  (C.O.L. 187).

“Everyone that will submit to being ransomed, Christ will rescue from the pit of corruption, and from the briers of sin...Desponding soul: take courage, even though you have done wickedly.  Do not think that perhaps God will pardon your transgressions and permit you to come into His presence.  God has [already] made the first advance.  While you were in rebellion against Him, He went forth to seek you.  With the tender heart of the Shepherd, He left the ninety and nine, and went out into the wilderness to find that which was lost.  The soul bruised and wounded and ready to perish; He encircles in His arms of love, and joyfully bears it to the fold of safety.”  (C.O.L. 188).

“For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son; that whosoever should believe in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.  For God sent the Son into the world, not to condemn the world; but that the world, through Him, might be saved!”  (Jo.3:16-17).

(to be continued).

------------------
"...We believe that through the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, we shall be saved..."  (Acts 15:11).

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
How To Grow In Grace
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2001, 07:20:00 PM »
Amen!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

DavidTBattler

How To Grow In Grace
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2001, 10:27:00 PM »
I am so thankful for these wonderful Truths about Jesus, and our relationship to Him.  Find enclosed a little more:

There is indeed, wonderful POWERin the blood!  There is wonderful POWER in the blood of the Lamb!

“...The preaching of the cross is, to them that perish, foolishness; but unto us which are saved, it is the POWER of God!”  (1 Cor.1:18).

“...As many as received Him; to them gave He POWER to become the sons [and daughters] of God, even to them that believe on His name.”  (Jo.1:12).

“[We overcome] “the devil by the blood of the Lamb, and by the Word of [our] testimony...”  [of what that blood has done...and how it was applied to the heart and the life].  (Rev.12:11).

And we find in God’s Word, numerous examples of what the believer is to do in the gift, , in the strength, and in the example of, what Christ has done for them:

“Love one another, as I have loved you.”  (Jo.13:34, KJV).

“Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the Church, and gave Himself up for her...”  (Eph.5:25, NIV).

“As ye have THEREFORE received Christ Jesus the Lord; so walk ye in Him.”  (Col.2:6, KJV).

“I beseech you...by the mercies of God, [God’s sacrificial grace as described in Romans 1-11], that ye present your bodies a LIVING sacrifice...”  (Rom.12:1, KJV).  

“The Spirit has given us life; He must also control our lives.  We must not be proud, or irritate one another, or be jealous of one another!”  (Gal.5:25-26, TEV).

“Look not every person on their own things; but every person also on the things of others.  Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus.”  (Phil.2:4-5).  Phil.2:5-11 describes the faith responses of Jesus...

These texts, and others like them, make it clear, that in Christ’s self giving, our redemption was accomplished, and also, in this self giving, our discipleship was revealed.  

To see and accept what Christ has done for us, is to know what He wishes to do through us!  To live in harmony with the claims of Christ, as a consequence of the reality of the cross, can’t possibly be the saving of one’s self, by one’s own works:

“If ye love Me, [ye will be able to] keep My commandments.”  (Jo.14:15).

To sincerely live in harmony with the claim of Christ, is to positively accept Him as the Messiah, and to have your life, and your mind, shaped by this amazing deliverance of Jesus.  By His Sacrifice of love; our spiritual house is built.  

To knowingly not live in accord with Christ’s claim, is to reject Jesus, and the kingdom He brings: that is – to reject the Ruler-ship that Christ establishes...How can Christ be our King, if we are not His servants?

“And they sing the song of Moses, the servant of God, And the song of the Lamb, saying: ‘Great and marvellous are Thy works Lord God Almighty; and just AND true are Thy ways, Thou King of saints!’”  (Rev.15:3).

Friends: we “are kept by the POWER of God!”  (1 Pet.1:5).  The cross is the only reason that any of us are alive, or have anything, or are anything...theologian, or beggar, or winner, or loser...”If the cross does not find an influence in it’s favor; it creates an influence.”  (Man. 56, 1899).  If you want THE antidote to any confusion in your life, or in your mind, or if there’s trouble in your church, or problems at home; Jesus says to you now:

“...Behold: I lay in Sion a chief cornerstone, elect, precious, and [anyone] that believeth on Him SHALL NOT BE CONFOUNDED!”  (1 Pet.2:6).
“If [anyone is willing to] do His will; [they will] know...”  (Jo.7:17).

All through the ages, Jesus has been the Cornerstone upon which His followers built their testimony that God was real:

Cain may have had the title
But Abel had the testimony!
Laban may have had the title
But Jacob had the testimony!
Lot may have had the title
But Abraham had the testimony!

Pharaoh may have had the title
But Moses had the testimony!
Achan may have had the title
But Joshua had the testimony!
Cyrus may have had the title
But Ezra had the testimony!
Nebuchadnezzar may have had the title
But Daniel had the testimony!
Queen Jezebel may have had the title
But Elijah had the testimony!
Zedekiah may have had the title
But Jerimiah had the testimony!
Sennacherib may have had the title
But Isaiah had the testimony!
Herod may have had the title
But Mathew had the testimony!
The Pharisees may have had the title
But Mark had the testimony!
The Romans may have had the title
But Luke had the testimony!
The Jews may have had the title
But John had the testimony!
Annanias may have had the title
But Paul had the testimony!
The Gnostics may have had the title
But Timothy had the testimony!
Nero may have had the title
But Peter had the testimony!
Pilot may have had the title
But MY JESUS HAS THE TESTIMONY!

Let all God’s people say:

(Amen).

Yes.  It’s so true.  The Pope and the popular churches may have the title.  
But, God’s people have the testimony!  

“...They overcame the devil by the blood of the Lamb, and by the Word of their [what?], by the Word of their testimony!”  (Rev.12:11).

And,

This is the Word of their testimony:

My Bible tells me that Jesus is the Cornerstone of the Seventh Day Adventist Church:

“Jesus is the Cornerstone
came for sinners to atone
Though rejected by His own
He became the Cornerstone!

When I am by sin oppressed
On the Stone, I am at rest!
When the seeds of truth are sown
He remains the Cornerstone!

Jesus is the Cornerstone.....”

Oh praise the Lord!  God’s idea of the New World Order is taken from Daniel 2:45 – “For as much as thou sawest that the Stone was cut out of the mountain without hands, and that it brake in pieces the iron, the brass, the clay, the silver, and the gold...the dream is certain, and the interpretation thereof is sure...”

This prophecy is the only prophecy in the entire Bible, in which the Words “certain,” and “sure,” are attached!

My testimony is that my Jesus, is a certain hope and a sure anchor, even in the storm of these last days!  Your spiritual “house”  will be on solid Rock, if you build it on Him!

The name of Jesus is your Rock!  The name of Jesus is in the state of His people!  The name of Jesus is the Cornerstone of His church!  And God’s people who really walk, living out the name of God in their daily lives, will have the prayer and the testimony:

“Rock of Ages
Cleft for me
Let me hide myself in thee.
Rock of Ages
So secure
For all time – it shall endure.
Till His children reach their home
He remains the Cornerstone...

Till the breaking of the dawn
Till all footsteps cease to roll
Ever let this Truth be known
Jesus is the Cornerstone!
Jesus is the Cornerstone!”

(Let us commence with our building project - to be continued... :)  ).

------------------

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

DavidTBattler

How To Grow In Grace
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2001, 06:45:00 AM »
To resurrect this precious topic a bit, I am trying to make a particular point about growing in grace that many mainline churches, and sadly, even a few SDA churches, seem to miss.

Growing in grace, in the Biblical sense, means that not only is Jesus your Savior, but He is your Lord, and He is having His way in your heart and mind:

"1T.340.001
     2 Peter 3:14, 18: "Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of Him in peace, without spot, and blameless." "But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To Him be glory both now and forever. Amen."
1T.340.002
     Sanctification is not the work of a moment, an hour, or a day. It is a continual growth in grace. We know not one day how strong will be our conflict the next. Satan lives, and is active, and every day we need to cry earnestly to God for help and strength to resist him. As long as Satan reigns we shall have self to subdue, besetments to overcome, and there is no stopping place, there is no point to which we can come and say we have fully attained."

Are there any clues in this SOP passage, or elsewhere, that would indicate to us how we can know that Jesus is BOTH our Savior and Lord?  How can we know for sure that we are growing in grace?    :)

------------------

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

[This message has been edited by DavidTBattler (edited 04-30-2001).]

Allan F

How To Grow In Grace
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2001, 10:25:00 AM »
Thanks for the your postings, brother David   :)
You ask "how can we know for sure that we are growing in grace?" I am looking forward to your answer. How does a tree "know" that its fruits are growing? I beleive that we must examine the connection between the branch and the vine. If we are truly connected with Jesus, the true Vine, the fruits will grow.

I found an interesting quote from the SOP about this topic that I would like to share:

"So long as we are in this world, we shall meet with adverse influences. There will be provocations to test the temper; and it is in meeting these in a right spirit that the christian graces are developed. If Christ dwells in us, we shall be patient, kind, and forbearing, cheerful amid frets and irritations. Day by day and year by year we shall conquer self, and grow into a noble heroism. This is our allotted task; but it cannot be accomplished without help from Jesus, resolute decision, unwavering purpose, continual watchfulness, and unceasing prayer" (MH 487).

Allan F

DavidTBattler

How To Grow In Grace
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2001, 10:52:00 PM »
Allen

Thankyou for this post. I didn't forget about this thread at all...It's just that life sometimes gets us busy, and going down the road in a different direction.

Your quote was very timely.  I really appreciated it.  Growing in grace has to be a process, rather than an event.

I asked a two part question in my last post.  I will repeat it once more to see if we get any more comments; and I will have time to post an answer of my own on the week end.   :)

Quote by DavidTBattler:

"Are there any clues in this SOP passage, or elsewhere, that would indicate to us how we can know that Jesus is BOTH our Savior and Lord? How can we know for sure that we are growing in grace?"

In particular, is there a way to tell if Jesus is our Savior AND Lord?  (If He isn't, can we "grow in grace?").

------------------

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
How To Grow In Grace
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2001, 09:05:00 AM »
Yes, Brother David, we may know that Jesus is Lord of our life. The Bible gives us the principle very clearly in many passages. I like the verse that says we cannot serve two masters, and the verse that says we can know them by their fruits, and the Words of Jesus that tell us the world will know His disciples by the love they have one for another.  But, my favorite is 1 John 3:14; "We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren." Jesus is the Lord of our life when we have His Spirit in our hearts and when Jesus is in the heart, then out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. Sweet water comes from a sweet spring and good fruit comes from a good tree.  :)

Richard

L.Picard

How To Grow In Grace
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2001, 04:59:00 PM »
In the beginning God said, "Let the earth bring forth vegetation and herb yieding seed and the fruit tree yielding fruit, after its kind." Gen.1:11.

And how do these things grow year after year? By the power of that Word that was spoken. The same Lord says, "Grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." 2 Peter 3:18. "Go and bear much fruit." John 15:16.

How are we to grow in grace and bear fruit? By the same power that causes the plants to grow. "In every command and in every promise of the Word of God is the power, the very life of God by which the command may be fulfilled (if we do not interpose a perverse will or an eveil heart of unbelief) and the promise realized." Heb.3:7,12; C.O.L.38; Education, p.126.

"This is the Word which by the Gospel is preached unto us." 1 Peter 1:25. The Word of God is the same yerterday, today, and forever! The Lord's command is: "Be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind." We are to let the Word accomplish what it says. That is the faith of Abraham. "My Word shall accomplish that which I please." Isa.55:11. What pleases God is expressed in His commandments and promises and it is through them that He communicates to us His grace and power! John 6:63,68; See M.H.122.

"Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus." Phi.2:5. "Let the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ shine in the darkened void of your heart." 2 Cor.4:6.

Let it! Let the Word work effectually in you for it is full of power to accomplish what is said in that Word. Such is the Word of God! 1 Thess.2:13.

"Pray that the Word of the Lord may have free course and be glorified." 2 Thess.3:1.

[This message has been edited by L.Picard (edited 05-07-2001).]

L.Picard

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: How To Grow In Grace
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 09:59:32 AM »
bumping current
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89