Author Topic: Matthew 24  (Read 68541 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Matthew 24
« on: May 23, 2008, 05:21:45 PM »
"Many will come in My Name saying, I am Christ; and will deceive many."

"And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many."

"For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect."

"For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. All these are the beginning of sorrows."

"And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another."

"Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house: Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes. And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!  But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day: For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened."

"Behold, I have told you before."

These are the words of Jesus.

Is the book of Revelation a commentary on this chapter?

Matthew 24 opens with the destruction of Jerusalem and ends with the destruction of the world and the coming of Jesus.

The book, The Great Controversy opens with the destruction of Jerusalem - it ends with the destruction of the world and His Second Coming.

Shall we study the book of Matthew, Chapter 24?

For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Re: Matthew 24
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 09:11:11 PM »
Let's do study this chapter it's very well known chapter but I believe that there are new things for us to learn and old things for us to cement in our minds. This can be a very deep topic. Pastor Bohr does a whole series of sermons called "Studies in Matthew 24". I'm only saying this to show how big, deep and broad this topic can and will be.

Sister, I'm not sure where you wanted to start of if there was a particular verse you had in mind? What's your thoughts?
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 06:50:20 AM »
Matthew 24 is packed with prophecy for the living in these days. As I go about interacting with those around me, it - along with Luke 21 and Mark 13 - are the books and chapters I quote to those with an interest in questioning why world conditions are worsening. Everyone knows it is, but so many do not know why. Sharing the very words of Jesus with these people bolsters their confidence in the Bible because there is no denying the course of events in our day follows prophecy right down the line, step by step, in fact - in chronological order! This is especially true with Matthew 24. Notice the words of Jesus. He says, "then ... [this will happen]," "then ... [this next thing will happen]," and on down the chronological line. 

Viewing Pastor Bohr's sermons on this has been quite interesting and in fact, prompted the desire to study this particular chapter even further.

We can begin at the beginning - but before we do that, I would like to point out to many who read but do not post the importance of the first verse shown at the beginning of this topic:

"Many will come in My Name saying, I am Christ; and will deceive many."

This prophecy is being fulfilled right and left all around us. Many have come in His Name claiming to be Christ or the Messiah and are deceiving multitudes. And how many are being taught that they are their own saviors through New Age spiritualism? It is rampant. That is where I would really like to begin.

Lewis

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 04:39:29 PM »
Let's do study this chapter it's very well known chapter but I believe that there are new things for us to learn and old things for us to cement in our minds. This can be a very deep topic. Pastor Bohr does a whole series of sermons called "Studies in Matthew 24". I'm only saying this to show how big, deep and broad this topic can and will be.

I am in for a study as well. Today I preached on Matthew 24 and tied in the books of Mark and Luke along with Revelation. Yes, and I used the SOP as well. It impacted the members in a response that I did not expect! The message that Jesus has given us impacted their minds to realize that Jesus is coming soon.

Many members in the church have heard these messages before, but they are a sleep. I am finding that many members will say, "Yes, we know that Jesus is coming again... all we need to do is just rely on Jesus." But this is said with a chuckle or with such a casual attitude as if the end time is going to be a cake walk... like no problem!

The more we can learn and understand of Jesus' messge to us in His Word the more we will draw closer to Him and rely on Him, and not ourselves.  Also, we will be better equiped to share this news with others.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 06:56:23 PM »
With cases like Wayne Bent, Vernon Howell, Jimmie Jones, etc..etc.. we can see this that this happens and it's a sad thing to watch happen. Many have come in Christ's name and many more will come. The Bible tells us this.

However, there is another way to think of this. While most Christians would never claim to be Christ, all Christians claim to be Christ-like (ie... Christian). They take the Lord's name but then live and act like the world. This also can and does lead others astray. The people of the world see them as hypocrites and those in the church use them as an example and copy their life style choices.

We will be responsible for our influence on others.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Lewis

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 07:16:01 PM »

However, there is another way to think of this. While most Christians would never claim to be Christ, all Christians claim to be Christ-like (ie... Christian). They take the Lord's name but then live and act like the world. This also can and does lead others astray. The people of the world see them as hypocrites and those in the church use them as an example and copy their life style choices.

We will be responsible for our influence on others.

I totally agree Jim. Many praise God, but their fruits testify that they follow the world. In Matthew 7:13-20...13Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
 14Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
 15Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
 16Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
 17Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
 18A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
 19Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
 20Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 05:42:50 PM »
Let's begin with the first few verses and go to the end. There is not one sentence that is unimportant:

Mat 24:1  And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to show him the buildings of the temple.
Mat 24:2  And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
Mat 24:3  And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
Mat 24:4  And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.

Verse 2 begins the prophecies. He says: See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down

Inspiration gives us some insight into this:

This was a startling statement to the disciples. The matter was now made plain: The glorious edifice, built at immense cost, which had been the pride of the Jewish nation, was to be destroyed from its very foundation. Not one of those massive stones--some of which had borne the devastation of Nebuchadnezzar's army, and stood firmly through the storm and tempest of centuries--was to be left upon another. They did not clearly comprehend the purpose of all this ruin. They did not discern that in a few days their Saviour was to be offered up as a victim for the sins of the world. The temple and its services would then be of no more use. The blood of beasts would be of no virtue to expiate sin, for type would then have met antitype, in the Lamb of God who would have voluntarily offered his life to take away the sins of the world. Later, when all had been accomplished, the disciples understood fully the words of Jesus, and the reason of the calamity which he foretold.  {3SP 71.1}

And in 70 A.D. His prophecy came to be. The temple was destroyed.

Angels of God were sent to do the work of destruction, so that one stone was not left one upon another that was not thrown down (MS 35, 1906).  {5BC 1098.7}

Then His disciples asked a a single question with two elements: "when" "what will be the sign"

Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world
And the rest of the chapter is a chronological line of events in the very words of Jesus - yet the very first thing He says is this:

Take heed that no man deceive you That is a huge warning. The ancient church was loaded with deceit and blatant hypocrisy. There were false teachers everywhere and of all the things Jesus could have begun to tell them, that was the first.

Turning to the disciples, Christ said, "Take heed that no man deceive you. For many shall come in My name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many." Many false messiahs will appear, claiming to work miracles, and declaring that the time of the deliverance of the Jewish nation has come. These will mislead many. Christ's words were fulfilled. Between His death and the siege of Jerusalem many false messiahs appeared. But this warning was given also to those who live in this age of the world. The same deceptions practiced prior to the destruction of Jerusalem have been practiced through the ages, and will be practiced again.  {DA 628.2}

Why do you think Jesus began his answers with this dire warning? Did everything else hinge on it? It seems to be the case.

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 02:32:20 AM »
Everything for us does hang on our NOT being deceived. I am reminded, that of all the commandments of God, the forth begins with, "REMEMBER". Why did God say this? It was because He knew there was a huge deception coming and that people through the ages, would forget God's true Sabbath. So why does God tell us to beware that we are not deceived? God saw ahead and seen the many people that were deceived and He knows what is coming and has already come in part. He desires that those who love Him will not be surprised at the many fables coming and be deceived into believing them, but will see them for what they are, signs of His Coming and a fulfilling of His Warnings to us.
With Christian Love,
Marie

Brian M

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 05:26:56 AM »
I agree Sister Glass,

We live in the days of deception. False teachers, preachers, christs, prophets, ect. abound.

The problem with deception is that it's not just a condition that comes from outside ourselves. James 1:22 "But be doers of the word and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves". Self-deception is rampant these days. Too many give excuses for their lack of obedience - self-deception in a most dangerous form (and is more and more prevalent within our church).

And, like Elijah, those who would point this out are often considered "troublers" (even by members of the EG White Estate  ;))
Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. Psalm 119:18

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 06:38:19 AM »
Look further in this chapter is this in verse 24:

Mat 24:24  For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

The elect - these are the most astute Bible students. Christ's Object Lessons describes them as such:

The elect of God are dear to His heart. They are those whom He has called out of darkness into His marvelous light, to show forth His praise, to shine as lights amid the darkness of the world. 

Verse 24 says IF IT WERE POSSIBLE, they shall deceive the very elect. These are God's people - people of the Word. The signs and wonders the false Christs and false prophets display will be so convincing that there is a possibility even God's elect will be deceived.

What does this say about the non-elect and nominal professers? Will they be defenseless against the signs and wonders? Many are in our congregations. Are the miracles performed before their very eyes the convincing factor that these false teachers are from God? 

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 06:59:12 AM »
There is an old saying that probably we have all used ourselves from time to time. It goes like this... "I'll believe it when I see it." For the most part this is a good way to rightly judge if something is true or not. And a lot of people take this common sense approach to life. However, as we all know that there are things in this world that are known as... illusions.

Illusion -
–noun
1.   something that deceives by producing a false or misleading impression of reality.
2.   the state or condition of being deceived; misapprehension.
3.   an instance of being deceived.

A lot of people have not taken time to develop true faith and therefore they use this old saying to make judgments even in the in spiritual matters. We are told in the Word that we should live by faith. It doesn't say anything about living by sight.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 07:19:37 AM »
Amen, Jim - reminds me of these two important statements:

Do not consult feeling; for feeling is not to be our guide. We are to walk by faith, not by sight. Do not let unbelief separate you from God. Do not let one word of unbelief or discouragement escape your lips. Satan is pleased at every such expression, because it is dishonoring to Jesus. Seek earnestly to remedy every defect of character. Put away murmuring and fretfulness. In the indulgence of these traits you represent Satan, the prince of darkness, and not Christ, the Prince of light. Cast no shadow to darken the pathway of others. Walk in the light, and the peace and joy that shine in the face of Jesus will be reflected in you. Jesus lives; and his promise is, "According to your faith be it unto you." [MATT. 9:29.]  {GW92 435.2}

Especially solemn is the apostle's statement regarding those who should refuse to receive "the love of the truth." "For this cause," he declared of all who should deliberately reject the messages of truth, "God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: that they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness." Men cannot with impunity reject the warnings that God in mercy sends them. From those who persist in turning from these warnings, God withdraws His Spirit, leaving them to the deceptions that they love.  {AA 266.2}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 07:27:28 AM »
Jim, you mentioned a group of men who have set themselves up as the Messiah. Don't you find it odd (I certainly do) that the people who follow them do so blindly? That the men are so charismatic, so hypnotizing that these people are not driven to search the Scriptures as did the Bereans?

It seems most people who get into these camps are already spiritually minded, in search of some grand truth. And it appears they want something wholly outside of what has been given in His Word. It is truly perplexing. 

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 06:02:48 AM »
It seems most people who get into these camps are already spiritually minded, in search of some grand truth. And it appears they want something wholly outside of what has been given in His Word. It is truly perplexing. 

Spiritual things are spiritually discerned. Until one is born of the Spirit, he remains open to these great deceptions.  The church is to be a light in this dark world. We are to be pointing all to Jesus and His Word, not to ourselves. We are only reflectors of His light. The church has failed in great measure to be this light, therefore many go searching in other places. Satan is not waiting, but eagerly seeking these that are searching. The influence in the church is to attract, not repulse. When the heathen see hypocrisy, they go elsewhere.

Here is a precious promise: "Therefore say unto the house of Israel, thus saith the Lord GOD; I do not this for your sakes, O house of Israel, but for mine holy name's sake, which ye have profaned among the heathen, whither ye went. And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I am the LORD, saith the Lord GOD, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes. For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land. Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you." Ezekiel 36:22-25.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 11:54:21 AM »
Amen, Richard. When there is a vacancy we look to fill it. If our churches are not standing in the gap as faithful watchmen, we will go elsewhere, even to a group who appear to have what we need. Yet Jesus' first words to His disciples are "do not be deceived." As you have said - unless we are so thoroughly grounded in the Word - we are wide open to these deceptions.   

Mat 24:6  And ye shall hear of wars and rumors of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
Mat 24:7  For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
Mat 24:8  All these are the beginning of sorrows.

Shall we discuss primary and secondary applications?

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 05:38:01 PM »
"And ye shall hear of wars and rumors of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet." Prior to the destruction of Jerusalem, men wrestled for the supremacy. Emperors were murdered. Those supposed to be standing next the throne were slain. There were wars and rumors of wars. "All these things must come to pass," said Christ, "but the end [of the Jewish nation as a nation] is not yet. For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. All these are the beginning of sorrows." Christ said, As the rabbis see these signs, they will declare them to be God's judgments upon the nations for holding in bondage His chosen people. They will declare that these signs are the token of the advent of the Messiah. Be not deceived; they are the beginning of His judgments. The people have looked to themselves. They have not repented and been converted that I should heal them. The signs that they represent as tokens of their release from bondage are signs of their destruction.  {DA 628.3}
     "Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for My name's sake. And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another." All this the Christians suffered. Fathers and mothers betrayed their children. Children betrayed their parents. Friends delivered their friends up to the Sanhedrin. The persecutors wrought out their purpose by killing Stephen, James, and other Christians.  {DA 629.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2008, 08:23:25 AM »
Mat 24:9  Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.
Mat 24:10  And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.

When Jesus revealed to his disciples the fate of Jerusalem and the scenes of the second advent, he foretold also the experience of his people from the time when he should be taken from them, to his return in power and glory for their deliverance. From Olivet the Saviour beheld the storms about to fall upon the apostolic church, and, penetrating deeper into the future, his eye discerned the fierce, wasting tempests that were to beat upon his followers in the coming ages of darkness and persecution. In a few brief utterances, of awful significance, he foretold the portion which the rulers of this world would mete out to the church of God. [MATT. 24:9, 21, 22.] The followers of Christ must tread the same path of humiliation, reproach, and suffering which their Master trod. The enmity that burst forth against the world's Redeemer, would be manifested against all who should believe on his name.  {GC88 39.1}
     The history of the early church testified to the fulfillment of the Saviour's words. The powers of earth and hell arrayed themselves against Christ in the person of his followers. Paganism foresaw that should the gospel triumph, her temples and altars would be swept away; therefore she summoned her forces to destroy Christianity. The fires of persecution were kindled. Christians were stripped of their possessions, and driven from their homes. They "endured a great fight of afflictions." [HEB. 10:32.] They "had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment." [HEB. 11:36, 37, 38.] Great numbers sealed their testimony with their blood. Noble and slave, rich and poor, learned and ignorant, were alike slain without mercy.  {GC88 39.2}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 08:31:26 AM »
Satan may bruise the heel, but the faithful believer shall bruise the head of the serpent. 

From righteous Abel falling under his brother's murderous hand, a long line of martyred prophets and holy men, faithful apostles and unnumbered millions of disciples who loved not their lives unto death, testify that Satan's enmity has not abated with the lapse of ages. As the end draws nigh, his wrath increases, and he renews his efforts to destroy God's chosen. Often his greatest victories are gained, not by open, bold attack, but as at first, by deceptive strategy.

At the present day, Satan gains power over God's people, by means of those false brethren who, while at heart friends of the world, exert an influence in the church. These are the most efficient workers that the great deceiver can employ. They are constantly seeking to lessen the enmity between the church of Christ and his deadliest foe. They supply the connecting link whereby he can unite the church and the world. Here lies our present danger,--a danger against which we must constantly guard. While we should make all possible effort to save souls, deeming no self-denial or sacrifice too great to effect this purpose, we must at the same time maintain our allegiance to God.

Without supreme love to God, we cannot glorify him. Those who walk in darkness cannot discern the excellence of heavenly things. No man can serve mammon, and yet build up the Redeemer's kingdom. Whatever diverts our affections from God or destroys our confidence in him, thereby becomes an idol. God calls for the whole heart. No reserve must be made. Said our Saviour, "He that is not with me is against me." We cannot safely disregard one injunction of God's word, to compromise with the enemies of Christ and the truth. 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2008, 08:47:53 AM »
Jesus foretold of the destruction of Jerusalem and it was destroyed in 70AD. How many of the disciples were martyred, not counting Judas? All? leaving only John to die a natural death? Even a pot of boiling oil could not kill John before his appointed time. The more satan inspired to kill, all the more the Gospel message reached. 

How many millions have been killed for standing fast for the Gospel's sake? Untold numbers, yet God always had a remnant somewhere in the world. 

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2008, 09:15:28 AM »
I just finished reading about the life of Martin Luther from the works of Jean Henri Merle D'Aubigne. Luther many times thought he was going to his death yet it never worried him. He stated more than once that he'd rather die than violate his conscience. However, the Lord allowed him to live and die a natural death. However, it was not always so for the rest of the reformers or those tho followed them. Recently I heard a preacher say that the "church" in America needs either a true revival and reformation or persecution to purify the church.