Author Topic: Justification by Faith  (Read 133287 times)

asygo

Re: Justification by Faith
« Reply #260 on: April 28, 2012, 09:07:52 AM »
(John said that whoever is born of God cannot sin. (1Jn 3:9) So on some level, in some way, Christians are able to completely abstain from sin) asygo.

There is no point in making a quote such as the one above if you are still sinning.

It would have the same point as talking about going to heaven without actually having gone to heaven first. Have you ever heard of anyone doing that? Talking about going to heaven with Jesus, without first doing it? Pointless?

But the fact of the matter is, John knew what he was talking about. You can trust the truth in that verse more than you can trust Des Ford or any other writer outside the Bible, including EGW.

The question for you is simple: Do you believe what the Bible says?

I do not know of anyone who has completely abstained from sin.

More importantly, do you know of anyone who WANTS to abstain from sin? You see, that's the crux of the matter. If one does not want to stop sinning, it will be impossible.
By God's grace,
Arnold M. Sy Go
-end-

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #261 on: April 28, 2012, 05:17:42 PM »
Billie, if you wish to continue, share your interpretation of Romans 8:1-14.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Peter L

« Reply #262 on: October 27, 2012, 05:27:03 AM »
The way I see justification is, justification is what Christ has done for us, sanctification is what Christ does in us and glorification is what Christ will do to us. We are to die daily to allow God to work in us.
Philippians 2:13
(13)  For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
Revelation 3:20
(20)  Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #263 on: October 27, 2012, 06:52:30 AM »
Good morning, Peter.  Let's look at this a little closer. These three theological terms are important. Let's take glorification first since some will not be familiar with it. We know that man has a fallen nature and thus must overcome in this nature. It will not be removed until Jesus comes. At that time, all who have accepted the "free gift" of salvation will be changed. 

1 Corinthians
  15:51   Behold, I show you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 
  15:52   In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 
  15:53   For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal [must] put on immortality. 
  15:54   So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. 
  15:55   O death, where [is] thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? 

But, this change that takes place at that time will not change one's character, only ones fallen human nature. Moral character has already been changed or else the sinner will not inherit eternal life. This is both justification and sanctification. Let's continue with these two terms.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #264 on: October 27, 2012, 07:17:37 AM »
While we must be changed at the second coming of Jesus, we also must be changed today if we want to follow Jesus. It is sad that so many do not understand that conversion is a radical transformation of nature. It is true that we will not have holy flesh until the second coming, but we can have a holy character while living in sinful flesh. It is the greatest miracle that God can do. To create Adam holy was easy for God, but to re-create you and me into a reflection of Christ while in these vile bodies is not easy for God. It requires our cooperation. He does His part, but we must do ours. We must learn of Him who gave all for us and then yield up our wicked sin polluted hearts that He might cleanse us from all sin. "But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin....If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:7,9.

When we are truly converted, this is justification, we become partakers of God's divine nature. It is then that we are able to keep the flesh, our vile body, under subjection at all times. Power to resist sin comes when we are justified, are converted. "Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust." 2 Peter 1:4.  "But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway." 1 Corinthians 9:27.   

Justification has to do with being reconciled to God that we might be removed from the condemnation of having sinned. The wages of sin is death and all have sinned. So all deserve to die. But, because Christ has suffered and died for all men, we may live IF we will accept the Gift of that sacrifice. It is called "justification". That is we can be justified in having eternal life. How can we be justified in having eternal life? By accepting the free gift offered, by dying to self, by making a FULL surrender to Jesus. "For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)  Therefore as by the offence of one [judgment came] upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one [the free gift came] upon all men unto justification of life.  For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous." Romans 5:17-19.

"They which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life..." We who receive God's grace and His righteousness will be saved. This means that we allow Christ to have the heart, the whole heart. When we do this, we are filled with His Spirit and that is why we are justified of having life, we are made holy by His indwelling presence. All of the fruits of His Spirit are in the life, not one is missing. The moral character is holy. The motives are changed at conversion. It is a radical change that takes place when Jesus comes into the heart. This is true conversion, this is justification. One is also sanctified when converted, but both our justification and our sanctification must continue daily. Without Christ we can do no good thing, but with Christ in the heart, we can all things. "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13.

When we are truly justified, converted, then the promise that I will have enmity towards sin is seen in the life. The sinner has power to overcome. "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God [is] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." 1 Corinthians 10:13.

Peter L

« Reply #265 on: October 27, 2012, 03:49:01 PM »
Exodus 23:7
(7)  Keep thee far from a false matter; and the innocent and righteous slay thou not: for I will not justify the wicked.

To be justified is to be declared innocent.
(20)  Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #266 on: October 27, 2012, 08:35:01 PM »
Yes, but you seem to disagree with what I just posted regarding the need to be abiding in Christ, to be filled with His Spirit, to be walking in the Spirit to be justified? Can one be declared justified when sinning a known sin, when walking in the flesh?

Peter L

« Reply #267 on: October 27, 2012, 08:45:15 PM »
We are justified by faith and works follow.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #268 on: October 27, 2012, 10:46:23 PM »
I very much agree. My question is can a man be declared justified while sinning a known sin?

Peter L

« Reply #269 on: October 28, 2012, 03:24:58 AM »
We cannot be justified living in willful sin otherwise it is osas.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #270 on: October 28, 2012, 10:58:22 AM »
Amen. What is the difference between one who is willfully sinning and one who is not?

Peter L

« Reply #271 on: October 28, 2012, 01:38:57 PM »
Leviticus 4:2-3
(2)  Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, If a soul shall sin through ignorance against any of the commandments of the LORD concerning things which ought not to be done, and shall do against any of them:
(3)  If the priest that is anointed do sin according to the sin of the people; then let him bring for his sin, which he hath sinned, a young bullock without blemish unto the LORD for a sin offering.

Why would they have a sin offering for sins of ignorance?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #272 on: October 28, 2012, 03:19:33 PM »
Sins of ignorance are different from sins that are not willful.  We may know that it is wrong to murder, that is we are not ignorant, but we did not plan the murder.  It was not willful.

What I was looking for is what is the difference in the heart between one who sins willfully and one who does not?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #273 on: February 06, 2015, 10:41:25 AM »
In my studies this morning, I came across something I had read many times before, but it had not made an impression upon my mind until today. The term "justification" is often misunderstood and thus opens a door to deceive at the very foundation of our faith. It is not a difficult word, but one that we need to rightly understand because it is a Biblical term. The title of this topic we are posting in is Justification by Faith. I have expressed the thought that it means the same as righteousness by faith. How can this be?

Let's look at the statement I read this morning. It was penned by the reformer, Lefevre. He wrote: “It is God who gives us, by faith, that righteousness which by grace justifies unto eternal life.” It is a beautiful explanation of our salvation in Christ. It would be well to prayerfully study the statement until it makes sense. If we have a Bible scholar who can rightly divide the statement, please share with us how you see it. By the way, this man spoke these words prior to when the reformers Luther and Zwingle began their work of reformation. Lefevre was a staunch papist and a professor at the University of Paris when he discovered the truth of salvation by grace.

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
« Reply #274 on: February 11, 2015, 10:00:33 PM »
...Lefevre...wrote: “It is God who gives us, by faith, that righteousness which by grace justifies unto eternal life.”

Ephesians 1:2 Grace be to you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.

The presence of the Holy Spirit, as the Grace of God, brings peace to the penitent sinner. Peace in the abundant pardon first bestowed in its acceptance, and peace that may continue from that moment of acceptence of the proffered Gift, throughout Eternity; that, is the purpose of the Godhead. Too frequently laxness and doubt assails us, and we fall again and again into sin, and think that it must always be so. (see  God's Amazing Grace, p. 262.2)

I found your quote of Lefevre just before what I believe is an excellent “dividing” of his own statement:

“Oh, the unspeakable greatness of that exchange,—the Sinless One is condemned, and he who is guilty goes free; the Blessing bears the curse, and the curse is brought into blessing; the Life dies, and the dead live; the Glory is whelmed in darkness, and he who knew nothing but confusion of face is clothed with glory.” The Great Controversy 1888, p. 212.1

2 Corinthians 5:
20 God...(“in Christ”; see vs. 19)
21 ...hath made (Christ) to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

This divine exchange is “...let(ting) this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus...he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. Philippians 2:5, 8 and 9; and

Ephesians 2:
6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: 7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

This “new creature” is the sure result of God's saving Grace, “the Holy Spirit, the grace of truth in the soul”:

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. 2 Corinthians 5:17 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature. Galatians 6:15

Christ died as our surety, the earnest vow of the Godhead making “the Way” (John 14:6) for sinful humanity to become inhabited by divinity; His life on earth as a man in the likeness of sinful human flesh the very speciman of what we may become, God's character perfectly reproduced. -This is what the angels over Bethlehem were proclaiming to those shepherds: the union of the human with the divine. It begins when the sinner responds to the Gift, receives the faith of Christ; believing, that Christ has faith in His own word to accomplish in us, what He works in us to will and to do; thus believing that the Word of Christ as Creator and indwelling Savior will finish that which He has begun, as the Author and Finisher of our faith. (see Hebrews 12:2) This Grace justifies the penitent sinner, placing within the humble soul the imparted life of Christ. (see Reflecting Christ, p. 131.4)

It is essential to live by every word of God, else our old nature will constantly reassert itself. It is the Holy Spirit, the redeeming grace of truth in the soul, that makes the followers of Christ one with one another, and one with God. He alone can expel enmity, envy, and unbelief. He sanctifies the entire affections. He restores the willing, desirous soul from the power of Satan unto God. This is the power of grace. It is a divine power. Under its influence there is a change from the old habits, customs, and practices which, when cherished, separate the soul from God; and the work of sanctification goes on in the soul, constantly progressing and enlarging.—The Review and Herald, October 12, 1897.

...As God works in the heart, and man surrenders his will to God, and cooperates with God, he works out in the life what God works in by the Holy Spirit, and there is harmony between the purpose of the heart and the practice of the life. Every sin must be renounced as the hateful thing that crucified the Lord of life and glory, and the believer must have a progressive experience by continually doing the works of Christ. It is by continual surrender of the will, by continual obedience, that the blessing of justification is retained. Selected Messages Book 1, p. 397.1

Christ bridged the gulf and connected earth with heaven. In human nature He maintained the purity of His divine character. He lived the law of God, and honored it in a world of transgression, revealing to the worlds unfallen, to the heavenly universe, to Satan, and to all the fallen sons and daughters of Adam that through His grace humanity can keep the law of God! He came to impart His own divine nature, His own image, to the repentant, believing soul.—Manuscript 20, 1898 (Manuscript Releases 8:39-41).

...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #275 on: February 21, 2015, 02:10:56 PM »
Amen, Glen!  Good to see your post!