Author Topic: Justification by Faith  (Read 133276 times)

frenchmon

• http://
Re: Justification by Faith
« Reply #160 on: August 02, 2001, 09:26:00 AM »
"To this end also we pray for you always, that our God will count you worthy of your calling, and fulfill every desire for goodness and the *work of faith with power*,"

"We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers; Remembering without ceasing your *work of faith*, and *labour of love*, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father; Knowing, brethren beloved, your election of God.  *For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost,* and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake.
And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost: So that ye were ensamples to all that believe in Macedonia and Achaia. For from you sounded out the word of the Lord not only in Macedonia and Achaia, but also in every place your faith to God-ward is spread abroad; so that we need not to speak any thing. For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God; And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come."

James...the work of faith is our continuing in faith, manifested in law keeping...the fruit of our faith with agape...

How can one please God through faith without the law manifested in his life???

Allan F

« Reply #161 on: August 04, 2001, 02:05:00 PM »
Once upon a time there was a man who had a little daughter. The Father cared so much for her, and the daughter expressed her love to her Father by seeking to please him in all her ways. Unfortunately she had no brothers and sisters and therefore she felt some times a bit lonely. So, one day she asked her Father: Dad, can I get a cat?

The Father thought about this for a moment. He thought that it would be good for his daughter to have someone to care for, and play with. A few days later he came home after work with a tiny, little sweet cat. The daughter immediately fell in love with this tiny, little creature. As the days went on, the father was so happy to watch the two little ones as they were playing together.

One day when the father came home from work he was met by an unusual silence. When he stepped into the kitchen there was a terrible sight. There, just in front of him law the sweet, tiny cat, cut into many pieces. The Father was shocked.
Then he heard someone in the living room. He went into the room and saw her little daughter, with tears in her eyes.

What happened?, her father asked.
"The cat didn't want to play with me", the daughter said. "And therefore I took a knife and cut it into pieces", she continued...

Time went on. One day when the father came home from work, his daughter came to meet him. After she had give the father a big hug, she asked: "Can I get a cat?"
The father thought about it, this time a little longer than just for a moment.
Then he turned and said to his daughter: "My daughter, I will give you a cat. But on certain conditions".
"We are going to have some rules in our home. The first commandment is that you shall not kill the cat. Secondly, you must neither kick it nor throw stones at it. And remember to to give food to the cat, every day.

We see from this parable, that the Father, when he gave a cat to his daughter for the first time, he beleived that the love and the unwritten laws which he had to give the second time, where written in the heart of his daughter.

When the father realized that his daughter had a tendency to do these evil things, he had to give her some rules in how to handle the cat.

When the letters of the unwritten law were expressed in the written form, the spirit of the law didn't go away. The letter only put words to and clarified the spirit of the law. Because of the fact that the daughter had a tendency to not to love the cat with all her heart, there was a need for specific rules to guide her. And even when she loved her cat with all of her heart, the letters of the law didn't go away. They only got their true meaning. They were a reminder for her, and served as a protection for the cat if she should think about doing the same to the second cat that she did to the first one.

What if she one day killed the second cat? When she asked of forgiveness and for a new cat, what do you think the father should do? To forgive her and abolish the rules? Or, forgive her and teach her how to keep the rules?

Allan F

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #162 on: August 06, 2001, 01:40:00 PM »
Brothers, Frenchmon and Allan,  thank you for the posts!  It is all very simple. Love to God and our neighbor is the "requirement" for heaven. We have not this love to give until we are born again and become a partaker of the divine nature. We have not earned heaven by manifesting this love, for it is given to us. Yes, it is true we must do something to get it. We must come to Jesus just as we are and cease resisting His love.  :)

Richard

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

jherbertthompson

« Reply #163 on: August 07, 2001, 02:54:00 PM »
Brother's and Sister's.

Always on the look-out for a "good deal"  :); I have found the "deal of all deals"!

This is the newest and best yet automotive product on the market..."G-RACE"...

This product is poured into your gas tank. As you go thru your week, you may pour any available liquid into the  gas tank.  The product combines with whatever has been provided and prevents engine damage.  It actually creates a more advanced fuel.

Sounds good!  :)  Watch out!  :(  You will never be able to change the principle of the internal combustion engine to suite your whim or fancy...Just as you cannot change the principles that guide a Christians life as we journey thru his or her spiritual week with Christ.

Sincerely your brother in Christ.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #164 on: August 10, 2001, 08:52:00 PM »
Amen, Brother Herbert!  Grace is the power that transforms the character. We are saved by the revelation of God's grace. If we would seek grace we would have power to overcome.  Grace cannot be stored, we must receive it daily.  :) It is being poured out for the taking. It is as real as the air we breathe.  

Happy Sabbath, all.  :)

Richard

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

frenchmon

« Reply #165 on: August 11, 2001, 03:05:00 PM »
Brothers...it was Martin Luther who once wrote...to be able to see the harmony between law and gospel is to put that person at the head of the class...

Grace comes to those who trust Christ by faith...The favor of God is His grace doing for man what man can't do for him self...The Spirit is the fuel...grace is the favor...--frenchmon

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #166 on: August 11, 2001, 03:48:00 PM »
Brother Frenchmon, good to see you more often!  :)  Happy Sabbath and a big amen to your last post!

Richard

jherbertthompson

« Reply #167 on: September 04, 2001, 11:19:00 AM »
Brother's and Sister's.  Seeming to have the propensity to provoke the most obscure, yet relevant biblical questions.  Here is one I'd like to pose in this discussion.  It comes from a brother in another communion who I have been quite busy answering questions over the past several months. Many of his questions have been posed on this a several other SDA forums, with quite a varried response...

First, however, I'd like to share that my two favorite storys in the NT are those of the Prodigal Son & the continued story of Mary Magdalene...these two storys are bound-up with grace untold.  "The heart of him who receives the grace of God overflows with love for God and for those for whom Christ died.  Self is not struggling for recognition.  He does not love others because they love and please him, because they appreciate his merits, but because they ar Christ's purchased possession.  If his motives, words, or actions are misunderstood or misrepresented, he takes no offense, but pursues the even tenor of his way.  He is kind and thoughful, humble in his opinion of himself, yet full of hope, always trusting in the mercy and love of God."  [Christ's Object Lessons, pp.102,103].

My question here is what do we do with Ezekiel 20:25?  Were the Ten Commandments given to Israel as a "stumbling block" from the very beginning?  Were they a punishment? Were they given to Israel with God's full knowledge that they could never be kept?

Where does grace fit into this picture?  How do we as a church ultimately misrepresent God with our answer to, or theology regarding such things?

Your brother in Christ.

M.A. Crawford

« Reply #168 on: September 05, 2001, 07:42:00 AM »
Bro. Thompson, I don't mean to sound sarcastic or funny when I say this, but we are to do nothing with Ezekiel 20:25 but read and understand it. If you will carefully read vss. 24, 26, and 27 which surround verse 25, you will discover that God is saying the Children of Israel REASONED IN THEIR MINDS that He had given them statues that were not good and judgments whereby they should not live. This is why God began verse 27 with the word "Therefore."

In response to some of your other questions, the Ten Commandments were not given to Israel to be a "stumbling block" to them from the beginning or at any other time. They were not a punishment. They were not given to Israel with God's full knowledge that they could never be kept. None of these assumptions can be found anywhere in the Bible. God is not in the "game-playing" business. He is in THE SOUL-SAVING BUSINESS!

This is one of the charges leveled against Seventh-day Adventists today by those of other faiths (and by some who are former Adventists). They contend that many in this church are more interested in ANALYZING AND DISSECTING the Word of God for discussion purposes than they are in OBEYING IT.

M.A.

M.A.

jherbertthompson

« Reply #169 on: September 06, 2001, 10:20:00 AM »
Brother Crawford.  Thank you for your quick response!  As I continued in my study regard-ing this matter [it is important at this point only because it has come up in a conversation with a non-adventist; who, suprisingly, seems well informed regarding the Sanctuary, and other doctrines of the church.  :)  At-any-rate, my study led me to a further assumption, [which I hate to use], that God was perhaps referring to Israel's position against His Law...In other words, it was in fact Israel who, because of their idolatry, made out these laws to be a punishment - both unable to keep and, an arbitrary stimbling block to the nation...By the way, Paul made a simular assertion in Romans.  Perhaps you would elaborate?  So it seems that we have both come to at least simular understanding of these verses?

Secondly, and in reference to your last paragraph; it seems to me that the point that my friend is making has nothing to do with adventist propensity to: "contend that many in this church are more interested in ANALYZING AND DISSECTING the Word of God for discussion purposes than they are in OBEYING IT."  Rather, that this remains adventis *dogma* which we [adventist's] need to weed through and resign to a format more in line with NT *grace*...
What do you think?

Your brother in Christ.

the Ten Commandments were written on this man's heart and he did reveal his love for God as he suffered the agony of the cross. I am forever thankful for his words that encouraged my Saviour when all others had denied Him.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #170 on: September 06, 2001, 01:29:00 PM »
Brother Herbert, God's law can be kept through the power of God's grace.  This is where the "evangelicals" have missed the boat. They have been told over and over that they are under grace, not the law. They do away with the need to keep the law because they do not believe in the power of Jesus to keep them holy. It is a very sad situation that has come into the church.

When God gave the ten commandments at Mt. Sinai, the people were in the same condition as Peter when he said he would never deny Jesus. they did not know they needed a Saviour in their hearts in order to keep the law. They learned quickly as did Peter. Shall we too, learn of our great need?

Richard

In His love and grace,     Richard

M.A. Crawford

« Reply #171 on: September 07, 2001, 07:10:00 AM »
"...this remains Adventist dogma which we [Adventists] need to weed through and resign to a format more in line with NT grace."

That is precisely why I made the statement in the last paragraph you quoted, Bro. Thompson. We, here in these last days need to be focusing on the answer from God's Word to the question: What must I do to be saved? and not so much on Adventist "dogma." Doctrinal discussions have their place, but I do not believe there is ANYTHING in this life more important than being saved. I am not saying this has happened to you, but oftentimes the enemy will divert our minds with "discussions" that do little more than waste our time causing us to lose sight of what we actually need to be focusing on. We need to especially be on our guard against former Adventists and others who hate this church and the Lord's messenger, and will try to engage us in discussions that waste time, seek to cause doubt, or bring about confusion in what we believe unto salvation. I very firmly believe that one is on SAFE GROUND if one continues to stick with the Bible as It reads, the original principles of salvation as taught by this church, and if one does not permit ANYONE to cause him/her to reject the teachings of the Lord's messenger, Ellen G. White.

The devil is very busy, Bro. Thompson, and he is going to use EVERY DEVICE in his "trick bag" arsenal to cause us---if he possibly can---to stumble, reject the Bible as it reads, and be lost.

M.A.      

M.A.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #172 on: December 06, 2001, 07:30:00 AM »
The false teachers have caused many to stumble as they look at Israel and the law. The ten commandments predates Mt. Sinai as did Israel's knowledge of them. The law was given at Mt. Sinai for the same reason it is given to those who are not converted today. It is the "schoolmaster" that leads us to see our need of a Saviour. The law is holy just and good and those who fight against the law have little understanding of the real grace of God.

Righteousness by faith is not freedom from keeping the law, but rather it is the power to keep the law. Such a deception that has come upon Israel. Faith is required because of the high standard required for salvation. The WHOLE heart must be given to Christ. How few understand they will not enter heaven without a new heart that is revealed by a new character, without spot, blemish, or wrinkle. The white robe of Christ's righteousness does not cover one unconfessed or unforsaken sin. Our filthy garments are removed prior to putting it on.

Such is the truth regarding "righteousness by faith."

In His love and grace,         Richard

jherbertthompson

« Reply #173 on: January 28, 2002, 05:08:00 PM »
Brethren. The past four working on number five Sabbath School Lessons have really been good! Don't you think?

I'm not sure as to "how" I have come to adopt this particular "idea". We all know that some will "pick-it-apart" piece at a time. My hope is to find some real Biblical and SOP basis for either "believing or not believing" this. One may have all sorts of "beliefs" or "doctrinal" back-up; however, I'm afraid that will not work in convencing me in either direction...I'm looking for solid "evidence". Okay?

The question is: Did the Cross answer ALL of the questions alleged against God by satan in heaven; or for that matter, here on this world?

My paradigm: I believe that at the cross Christ made a compelling case that the Godhead is not arbitrary, vengeful, unforgiving and severe. However, those are not the only charges which satan brought against God, His Nature, Character, or Government.

Satan also climed that it is not possible for man to perfectly obey God's law. This issue has not been resolved as far as most people are concerned [i.e. most accept Satan's claim]. However, I find that both Mrs. White and the Bible support, in fact make it very clear, that before Christ's second coming this issue will be settled beyond the shadow of a doubt both here on the world; and, throughout the universe.

This leaves a rather natural question. "There must be "TWO" groups of the "SAVED". Those who are saved "sinners", and those who are saved "perfect". You may correct me if I'm wrong - bring your Bible!

Finally, it does not seem suit God's purposes to address such a serious charge with an unsubstantiated claim and expect it to be accepted by faith...I conclude that "perfection of character" is a "statement" about "God's ability" to HEAL; not, our ability "to do right". We need only to remove the obstructions so that He can "do His part"...

In a recent conversation with another Adventist on this particular subject he reminded me that "sin is a deadly cancer with an aggressive growth pattern. Making "progress" is not enough to vindicate God's reputation...

God bless all.
Your brother in Christ Jesus

M.A. Crawford

« Reply #174 on: January 29, 2002, 07:29:00 AM »
"Satan also claimed that it is not possible for man to perfectly obey God's law. This issue has not been resolved as far as most people are concerned...."

This issue may not have been resolved by some, but where my salvation is concerned, I AM THOROUGHLY CONVINCED this claim was proven false by the Perfect Example that Jesus Christ lived in the flesh. In addition to saving us on Calvary, Christ also came to this earth to provide us with a perfect example IN THE FLESH (1 Peter 2:21) which proved that it could be done in the flesh. In condemning sin in the flesh (Rom. 8:3), Jesus also proved that Adam did not have to sin as the devil claimed. Adam sinned BECAUSE HE CHOSE TO SIN!!! And so it is with us today. We sin when we yield to the particular temptation to commit a particular sin (James 1:14).

In reference to Christ, the Bible tells us that Jesus "did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth" (1 Peter 5:22). The Bible also says of the Saviour that He knew no sin (2 Cor. 5:21). If you have not done so already, I suggest that you read other posts on the topic of sinless human perfection in the thread by the same name.

"This leaves a rather natural question. There must be 'TWO' groups of the 'SAVED'. Those who are saved 'sinners', and those who are saved 'perfect'."

NOWHERE in all the Bible will you find where there are two groups of the saved: those who are saved as sinners, and those who are saved as perfect. Matthew 5:48 tells us to be perfect as our Father who is in Heaven is perfect. And THE ONLY WAY we can fulfill this Bible command is THROUGH HIM WHO IS PERFECT: JESUS CHRIST. This is why we are told in Romans 13:14 to put on the Lord Jesus Christ, so when Christ is seen coming in the clouds of His Glory, He will see covering us ONLY HIS PERFECT ROBE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS and not our own which are as filty rags in His Sight (Isa. 64:6).

"I conclude that 'perfection of character' is a statement about 'God's ability' to heal; not our ability 'to do right'.

Scriptural support for such a conclusion cannot be found ANYWHERE in the Bible. Anything that we believe unto salvation, if it is to have redeeming value, MUST  be based upon the Word of God.

M.A.  

M.A.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #175 on: January 29, 2002, 05:57:00 PM »
Brother Herbert,  I believe that the Great Contorversy continues for a reason. Yes, we all must choose who we will serve, but there is more to demonstrate also. I do not believe there are two groups, those that are perfect and those who are not. None will enter heaven without having a character that measures with the law of God. All must have the seal of God.

But....the last group that are living when Jesus returns will perfectly reflect the character of Christ. They will have demonstrated something that no other group ever have or will. They will have a song to sing for eternity. They know of grace in a way that will make them a witness to the unfallen universe in a way that no other can. Yes, they are special, but this does not mean that those who come forth from the grave did not surrender self and serve Christ with the whole heart. All who went into the grave and who will come up in the first resurection will have been judged to have kept the law of God to the degree they knew it. They died to self.

No, there are not two groups based upon character perfection. All who will be saints in heaven will first have been saints upon this earth. None will get their character perfection when Jesus comes. Character is gained in our time of probation.

Richard

M.A. Crawford

« Reply #176 on: January 31, 2002, 06:21:00 AM »
"Satan also claimed that it is not possible for man to perfectly obey God's law."

Satan has made many claims, but THE REAL QUESTION is: Are those who expect to be saved entertaining those claims--thereby setting themselves up to be persuaded by them--or are we living by EVERY WORD that proceeds out of the Mouth of God? (Matt 4:4). I do not believe that WISE CHRISTIANS have the time to be concerned with what "Satan claims." For those of us who expect to be saved, I believe our primary objective--in these last few moments of earth's history--is to MAKE DOUBLY SURE we have ordered our lives after the Divine Likeness of Jesus Christ. This, I am convinced, is THE ALPHA AND OMEGA of what every Christian should be NOW DOING who desires to be saved.

"Did the Cross answer all the questions alleged against God by Satan in heaven; or for that matter, here on this world?"

Not only the death of Christ on Calvary, but also HIS LIFE while here on this earth answered EVERY QUESTION alleged against God by the devil. Both THE LIFE AND DEATH OF JESUS CHRIST put an end to all allegations for all time (John 19:30).

M.A.    

M.A.

astleyt

« Reply #177 on: January 31, 2002, 06:10:00 PM »
What appears to be contradictions in Paul's discussions of the law are not contradictions at all. The central issue is Paul's discussion of the law as a means of salvation and law as God's moral standard. Obviously Paul takes issue with the legalistic attitude of regarding law as a method of salvation and upholds the law as God's standard that no one can ever hope to live up to except through daily surrender to Jesus, Who then lives His perfect life in and through us. (see Romans 9:31,32)

------------------

jherbertthompson

« Reply #178 on: January 31, 2002, 08:12:00 PM »
One might consider the postulate that, as Seventh-Day-Adventists; we have, or have received the "final word" regarding truth as being (IMO) a very narrow and definately arrogant point of view.

Brother Crawford, I must agree with you that we must be "thoroughly convinced in our own minds what is truth"...However, the opposite would hold true also: One might believe a lie to be true [Romans 1:25] relevant only to our "preception of the image of God", and that horribly distorted as it is in the minds of many today; being taught as "truth" from the pulpit and many are taken in by its deceitfullness...Man gives The Holy God, Creator attributes of man in suggesting that God should await to "punish" the wicked as the result of their having "broken the rules"...To put God in such a light is to say that He merely wishes vindication through His wrath - a common idea - yet terribly wrong. God's wrath has nothing at all to do with punishment.

The "punishment of the wicked" will come upon them as no suprise. "Every knee will bow, and tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord". He has done everything in  His power to win back our "trust" and, to "restore" us back to the relationship with Him that we had before the Fall...Do you really believe that we will spend a thousand years "judging the wicked"? No, no, no!!! God, in His mercy will conduct a thorough investigation into His way of having handled the "sin problem". And, with it all said and done, we will see that He can indeed be "trusted" - that there is no reason to fear Him for we love Him -Righteousness - and Freedom...

In regard to the "two groups saved". Take an example of Enoch - Elijah; versus say the thief on the cross. Both Enoch and Elijah were in such close communion that leaving this world for the Heavenly one was simply the "next step"...But the thief, he had no time to set his "behavior right" now did he? For him, as it is (IMHO) with many, his belief; faith; TRUST in what God would do in him inspite of his record; is what ultimately will save...He is then, a "saved sinner"...He gains access to the presence of God because he believed in his heart that Jesus could do for him what was impossible for him to do for himself...what ever else the thief may have been - his faith - and ultimately our own - is based not on speculation, or a desire to avoid the consequences - oh no! It is based on a true witness and the fact [evidence] which we are able to weigh and base our decission upon. God would have no other form of service...and truly, this would lead to service of love...

Brother Myers, I suspect we are saying the same thing from slightly different prespectives. The Great Controversy is not at all based upon the results it has here on earth...the entire universe is at stake. God must vindicate His character...And, how can He do so if He "requires a death" for sin. That is Satan's claim...sin requires its due...How could we, or any being in the universe feel "safe" around a God who required the "Life of His Son" as "substitute" for the "life of the sinner"?

Although in one sense Jesus requires a life [His life] for a life [our life]; it is not mind you "death for death"...The "wages of sin is death"; not my dear friends, "that God will have to kill you"...

I personally do not really think that there are going to be "two groups" who are saved. And, it has nothing to do with the behavioral condition of the human race. It has to do with God's ability to "HEAL US" if we will allow Him to do so :-)

This is I'm sure something which is not at all going to be contended with [in a civil manner any way] by several here, as their position precludes the "power of God unto salvation"...Those who are in this catagory will lift up the cross, but deny it's power as Mrs. White said in many places - it will be those who are most conservative in their beliefs who will be in the end, our worst enemys...

Eternity closes upon us all too soon to be ignorant of the Nature and Character of God -and our "display" of God before men...Or, perhaps I can put it in a little more personal a way...When I break into a rage at a neighbor for a personal slight - it really is not the display of rage for which I feel worst - no, and I will and have told many during my new Christian walk that, I am most ashamed not for the display but for the total MISREPRESENTATION OF GOD! Sure, there is sorrow for the "act"...but it really is secondary. God, and even the neighbor will forgive the act - but what might I ask, is the longer effect of such a display if my neighbor knows that I profess to be a Christian...

If I am not "thrown-off" this forum for "blasphemy", perhaps we can "reason" out the differences between the "legalistic view" and the view in light of what is a stake [to the nature - character- and government of God] in the universe...

I submit to you that should not a human being on this planet have ever accepted Christ in the illustration at the cross - Christ would still have come, died, and resurected to the Glory which He shared with the Father...Why? Because God need to allow Satan every opportunity to show exactly what his form of government really was. Self-centered; self-destructive; self-deceiving.

It is not we who must vindicate the character of God. He must do that for Himself. We may be participants in the effort to do so only if we are willingly submitted to letting Him do what we cannot do for ourselves.

God's grace and peace to all.

Your brother in Christ Jesus.

M.A. Crawford

« Reply #179 on: February 01, 2002, 07:36:00 AM »
"...One might believe a lie to be true...."

This is the reason why EVERYTHING we believe unto salvation MUST be based upon the Word of God. Titus 1:2 says God cannot lie. Since the Bible is the Word of God, it stands to reason that the Bible also cannot lie. Therefore, the Scriptures are OUR ONLY SURETY and safeguard against the deceit and errors that are being entertained today concerning salvation and how we are saved. The salvific principles of the Bible are plain and made easy to understand by the Holy Spirit for anyone who wants to follow them.

"Do you really believe that we will spend a thousand years 'judging the wicked'? No, no, no!!!"

Revelation 20:4 and 5 reads:

"And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, AND JUDGMENT WAS GIVEN UNTO THEM...and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years (Emphasis mine). But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished...."

These verses clearly indicate that the redeemed saints shall sit on thrones with Christ and go over the life's record of the living dead during this one thousand year period to determine THE DEGREE of punishment the wicked shall receive because the Bible tells us God shall reward every man ACCORDING TO HIS WORKS (Rev. 22:12).

"In regard to the 'two groups saved'. Take an example of Enoch - Elijah; versus say the thief on the cross...the thief had no time to set his 'behavior right' now did he?"

Concerning the demise of the thief on the cross, Mrs. White writes:

"To Jesus in His agony on the cross there came one gleam of comfort. It was the prayer of the penitent thief. Both men who were crucified with Jesus had at first railed upon Him; and one under his suffering only became more desperate and defiant. But not so with his companion. THIS MAN WAS NOT A HARDENED CRIMINAL; he had been led astray by evil associations, but he was less guilty than many of those who stood beside the cross reviling the Saviour (Emphasis mine throughout). He had seen and heard Jesus, AND HAD BEEN CONVICTED BY HIS TEACHING, but he had been turned away from Him by the priests and rulers....

"...When condemned of his crime, the thief had become hopeless and despairing; but strange, tender thoughts now spring up. HE CALLS TO MIND all he has heard of Jesus, how He has healed the sick and pardoned sin. He has heard the words of those who believed in Jesus and followed Him weeping. He has seen and read the title above the saviour's head. He has heard the passers-by repeat it, some with grieved, quivering lips, others with jesting and mockery. THE HOLY SPIRIT ILLUMINATES HIS MIND, and little by little the chain of evidence is joined together. In Jesus, bruised and mocked, and hanging upon the cross, HE SEES THE LAMB OF GOD, that taketh away the sins of the world. Hope is mingled with anguish in his voice as the helpless, dying souls casts himself upon a dying Saviour. 'Lord remember me,' he cries, 'when Thou comest into Thy kingdom.'

"Quickly the answer came. Soft and melodious the tone, full of love, compasion, and power the words: Verily I say unto thee today, Thou shalt be with Me in paradise" (DA 749-50).

The same thing it took for Enoch to be saved is THE SAME THING it took for the penitent thief: TO HEAR AND OBEY the Voice of God and order one's life after the Word of God.

M.A.

M.A.