Author Topic: Justification by Faith  (Read 133331 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Justification by Faith
« Reply #200 on: January 21, 2008, 08:53:32 AM »
As the penitent sinner, contrite before God, discerns Christ's atonement in his behalf and accepts this atonement as his only hope in this life and the future life, his sins are pardoned. This is justification by faith. Every believing soul is to conform his will entirely to God's will and keep in a state of repentance and contrition, exercising faith in the atoning merits of the Redeemer and advancing from strength to strength, from glory to glory. Pardon and justification are one and the same thing. Faith and Works, p. 103

This single statement answers many objections we are hearing these days.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #201 on: January 21, 2008, 09:05:19 AM »
It has always been, "repent" first.  That's what Peter said on the day of Pentecost.  Acts 2:37, 38:  Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?  Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.  Paul's words to the Philippian jailer imply repentance.  Acts 17:30, 31:  And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?  And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.  Believing on Jesus includes obeying His commandments, which include repentance.  Jesus' words to Nicodemus, indicate a positive action on the part of the sinner if he is to see the kingdom of God. Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.  There is no new birth without repentance.

I know that Sister White, in Steps to Christ, says we don't have to repent before we can come to Jesus, but coming to Jesus presupposes a desire for repentance, and we won't stay with Jesus if we don't repent.

Another angle to pursue is to ask those who think that everyone is justified, to support their position from Scripture.  They won't be able to do it.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #202 on: January 21, 2008, 09:45:21 AM »
 Jesus' words to Nicodemus, indicate a positive action on the part of the sinner if he is to see the kingdom of God. Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.  There is no new birth without repentance.

I know that Sister White, in Steps to Christ, says we don't have to repent before we can come to Jesus, but coming to Jesus presupposes a desire for repentance, and we won't stay with Jesus if we don't repent.

I think you have the right idea, Brother Wally, but let us be more specific so that those who have deceived might be able to see clearly from Scripture how it all fits together. We want the simplicity of the gospel.

You bring up a good point. We need to think about what it means to "come to Jesus". This will help us much and put repentance in the correct position along with justification. Jesus said "If I be lifted up, I will draw all men unto me." Conversion is the end of long protracted process of wooing by the Holy Spirit. Many today who think they have been converted, have not been. They are in the process of being drawn to Christ. They have seen Him and they know He is right, but they have failed to submit their lives to Him fully. They do not trust Him with everything because they do not know Him well enough to give all to Him. But, they are "coming to Him." They are learning of Him. Sadly, this includes many, too many ministers. The blind are leading the blind into the water, but most have come up alive, not dead to self. And, the few who did experience true conversion, do not know how to maintain their experience, so they fall back into the water of sin.

Now we may better understand the idea that one does not cease to sin before coming to Jesus. We are bidden "Come unto me all ye that labor and I will give you rest."  This is not for the converted only, but for the sinner while he is yet in his sins. This is the work of the sinner to cease resisting His drawing. To come to Jesus while we are sinning. It is the only way. Those who are not sick have no need of Jesus. But, all who see their sins are to go to Jesus for healing. Learn of Him and in doing so they (we) will fall in love with Him because He first loved them (us). There is no repentance or salvation in this process of "coming" to Christ. It is the first steps in the plan of salvation in responding to the drawing of Christ.

When we come to Him and see His great love, we soon discover grace. It is a special kind of love. It is love for me while I am yet a sinner. I do not deserve this. And, I see the cost to our heavenly Father and to Jesus. It is what brings true repentance not to be repented of.  And when this repentance is in the heart, the fruit of "coming to Jesus", we are then converted and justified in having eternal life. Justified and sanctified, made holy. Set aside for His honor and glory.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

asygo

« Reply #203 on: January 21, 2008, 12:30:55 PM »
We need to think about what it means to "come to Jesus".

As I am so fond of throwing theological curve balls, take a swing at this quote from C. S. Lewis:
Remember, this repentance, this willing submission to humiliation and a kind of death, is not something God demands of you before He will take you back and which He could let you off of if He chose: it is simply a description of what going back to Him is like. If you ask God to take you back without it, you are really asking Him to let you go back without going back. It cannot happen.

So, rather than looking at repentance as causing our good relationship with God, we can look at it as describing what a good relationship with God is like. And when viewed that way, it becomes impossible to separate repentance from justification. It would be akin to saying we have eternal life while being dead in trespasses and sins - an impossibility. Then we don't have to figure out if we can come to Jesus BEFORE repentance, since coming to Jesus IS repentance.

WDYT?
By God's grace,
Arnold M. Sy Go
-end-

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #204 on: January 21, 2008, 01:29:20 PM »
I agree with the theology, Brother Arnold, but I am fearful that we need to get the "coming to Jesus" down a little better. Coming to Jesus as I see it is a walk to Him. When we are not "in Christ", He is drawing us to Him. This is the process of "coming to Him". There is no repentance at this point. It is only when we have found Him and given Him all we have and all we are, that we get repentance and our new heart. Then we are new creatures and are justified, sanctified, and all His! Such a blessing! Such a miracle!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

asygo

« Reply #205 on: January 21, 2008, 03:52:35 PM »
     It was taught by the Jews that before God's love is extended to the sinner, he must first repent. In their view, repentance is a work by which men earn the favor of Heaven. And it was this thought that led the Pharisees to exclaim in astonishment and anger. "This man receiveth sinners." According to their ideas He should permit none to approach Him but those who had repented. But in the parable of the lost sheep, Christ teaches that salvation does not come through our seeking after God but through God's seeking after us. "There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. They are all gone out of the way." Rom. 3:11, 12. We do not repent in order that God may love us, but He reveals to us His love in order that we may repent. {COL 189.1}

Just here is a point on which many may err, and hence they fail of receiving the help that Christ desires to give them. They think that they cannot come to Christ unless they first repent, and that repentance prepares for the forgiveness of their sins. It is true that repentance does precede the forgiveness of sins; for it is only the broken and contrite heart that will feel the need of a Saviour. But must the sinner wait till he has repented before he can come to Jesus? Is repentance to be made an obstacle between the sinner and the Saviour? {SC 26.1}
     The Bible does not teach that the sinner must repent before he can heed the invitation of Christ, "Come unto Me, all ye that labor and are heavy-laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28. It is the virtue that goes forth from Christ, that leads to genuine repentance. Peter made the matter clear in his statement to the Israelites when he said, "Him hath God exalted with His right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins." Acts 5:31. We can no more repent without the Spirit of Christ to awaken the conscience than we can be pardoned without Christ. {SC 26.2}
By God's grace,
Arnold M. Sy Go
-end-

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #206 on: January 22, 2008, 09:10:18 AM »
Amen! Conversion, justification, is the end of a long protracted process of wooing by the Holy Spirit.

Cop

« Reply #207 on: January 22, 2008, 10:41:43 PM »
Many are confused as to what constitutes the first steps in the work of salvation. Repentance is thought to be a work the sinner must do for himself in order that he may come to Christ. They think that the sinner must procure for himself a fitness in order to obtain the blessing of God's grace. But while it is true that repentance must precede forgiveness, for it is only the broken and contrite heart that is acceptable to God, yet the sinner cannot bring himself to repentance, or prepare himself to come to Christ. Except the sinner repent, he cannot be forgiven; but the question to be decided is as to whether repentance is the work of the sinner or the gift of Christ. Must the sinner wait until he is filled with remorse for his sin before he can come to Christ? The very first step to Christ is taken through the drawing of the Spirit of God; as man responds to this drawing, he advances toward Christ in order that he may repent.

The sinner is represented as a lost sheep, and a lost sheep never returns to the fold unless he is sought after and brought back to the fold by the shepherd. No man of himself can repent, and make himself worthy of the blessing of justification. The Lord Jesus is constantly seeking to impress the sinner's mind and attract him to behold Himself, the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sins of the world. We cannot take a step toward spiritual life save as Jesus draws and strengthens the soul, and leads us to experience that repentance which needeth not to be repented of.

When before the high priests and Sadducees, Peter clearly presented the fact that repentance is the gift of God. Speaking of Christ, he said, "Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins" (Acts 5: 31). Repentance is no less the gift of God than are pardon and justification, and it cannot be experienced except as it is given to the soul by Christ. If we are drawn to Christ, it is through His power and virtue. The grace of contrition comes through Him, and from Him comes justification. ...The whole work is the Lord's from the beginning to the end.

Who is desirous of becoming truly repentant? What must he do?--He must come to Jesus, just as he is, without delay. He must believe that the word of Christ is true, and, believing the promise, ask, that he may receive. When sincere desire prompts men to pray, they will not pray in vain. The Lord will fulfill His word, and will give the Holy Spirit to lead to repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ. He will pray and watch, and put away his sins, making manifest his sincerity by the vigor of his endeavor to obey the commandments of God. With prayer he will mingle faith, and not only believe in but obey the precepts of the law. He will announce himself as on Christ's side of the question. He will renounce all habits and associations that tend to draw the heart from God.

He who would become a child of God must receive the truth that repentance and forgiveness are to be obtained through nothing less than the atonement of Christ. Assured of this the sinner must put forth an effort in harmony with the work done for him, and with unwearied entreaty he must supplicate the throne of grace, that the renovating power of God may come into his soul. Christ pardons none but the penitent, but whom He pardons He first makes penitent. The provision made is complete, and the eternal righteousness of Christ is placed to the account of every believing soul. The costly, spotless robe, woven in the loom of heaven, has been provided for the repenting, believing sinner, and he may say: "I will greatly rejoice in the Lord, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness" (Isa. 61:10). {1SM 391-393}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #208 on: January 25, 2008, 05:29:24 PM »
As the penitent sinner, contrite before God, discerns Christ's atonement in his behalf and accepts this atonement as his only hope in this life and the future life, his sins are pardoned. This is justification by faith. Every believing soul is to conform his will entirely to God's will and keep in a state of repentance and contrition, exercising faith in the atoning merits of the Redeemer and advancing from strength to strength, from glory to glory. Pardon and justification are one and the same thing. Faith and Works, p. 103

This quotation continues the natural outflow of the first quote:

"All true obedience comes from the heart. It was heart work with Christ. And if we consent, He will so identify Himself with our thoughts and aims, so blend our hearts and minds into conformity to His will, that when obeying Him we shall be but carrying out our own impulses. The will, refined and sanctified, will find its highest delight in doing His service. When we know God as it is our privilege to know Him, our life will be a life of continual obedience. Through an appreciation of the character of Christ, through communion with God, sin will become hateful to us."
{DA 668.3}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #209 on: July 03, 2008, 07:32:41 AM »
I feel somewhat like the man who saw Mary and Joseph bring Jesus into the temple to be blessed. Now that I have seen others understand the gospel, I feel that I can lay down and go to sleep!! :)  Take me home Lord!!  So many dry years of listening to so much chaff. What a blessing to see others who  understand the power of God's grace to save!! Grace at the beginning, middle, and end!! Jesus will not do it without our effort, but He is the object, the power, and the reason. He is indeed a Saviour, our Saviour!

Linda K

• Wordkeeping
« Reply #210 on: October 05, 2008, 07:09:27 PM »
I'm studying about faith. Righteousness by faith is the theme of our wonderful message. We know that righteousness is right doing, harmony with God's will, but what is faith? I've been working on a definition that doesn't use the words faith, trust or believe to define faith.

The easy response to the requirement for salvation is just believe, have faith, trust God. If we have a faulty understanding of faith, we can be in danger of missing the mark. I'm afraid many people believe they have faith when they actually have presumption, which is claiming the promises of God without fulfilling the conditions. So, what are the conditions for salvation?

We know that faith works by love and purifies the soul. But what is faith?

I'll list some of the ideas I have. I am looking for a comprehensive, practical definition that doesn't have any ambigious words in it. I want words that everyone understands. Please share with me your definition of faith, or let me know what you think of my ideas.

Saving Faith is the God-given ability to appreciate, absorb and apply God's Word, so the power of God's love creates holy and righteous thoughts and actions in the individual.

Saving Faith is the God-given ability to assimilate & appropriate God's Word, so the power of God's love creates holy and righteous thoughts and actions in the individual.

Saving Faith is the reception of the God-given ability to cling to and rely on God as He is revealed in His entire Word, which then generates the love which motivates us to holy and righteous thoughts and actions.

Saving Faith is the acceptance of the creative power of God in one's life to live in harmony with God's will.

Saving faith is the God-given ability to grasp on to God's Word in wuch a was that it controls the thoughts and actions.

Saving faith is the God-given ability to receiving and lovingly respond to God's Word in cooperative submission.

Saving faith is the God-given ability to submit one's will to God's will and cooperate with His regenerating power to transform the life.

Saving faith is the loving response to what God has declared.

Saving faith is the supernatural ability to receive truth so that it controls all our faculties.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #211 on: October 01, 2010, 07:20:36 AM »
Today in the religious world there are multitudes who, as they believe, are working for the establishment of the kingdom of Christ as an earthly and temporal dominion. They desire to make our Lord the ruler of the kingdoms of this world, the ruler in its courts and camps, its legislative halls, its palaces and market places. They expect Him to rule through legal enactments, enforced by human authority. Since Christ is not now here in person, they themselves will undertake to act in His stead, to execute the laws of His kingdom. The establishment of such a kingdom is what the Jews desired in the days of Christ. They would have received Jesus, had He been willing to establish a temporal dominion, to enforce what they regarded as the laws of God, and to make them the expositors of His will and the agents of His authority. But He said, "My kingdom is not of this world." John 18:36. He would not accept the earthly throne. 

The government under which Jesus lived was corrupt and oppressive; on every hand were crying abuses,--extortion, intolerance, and grinding cruelty. Yet the Saviour attempted no civil reforms. He attacked no national abuses, nor condemned the national enemies. He did not interfere with the authority or administration of those in power. He who was our example kept aloof from earthly governments. Not because He was indifferent to the woes of men, but because the remedy did not lie in merely human and external measures. To be efficient, the cure must reach men individually, and must regenerate the heart. 

Not by the decisions of courts or councils or legislative assemblies, not by the patronage of worldly great men, is the kingdom of Christ established, but by the implanting of Christ's nature in humanity through the work of the Holy Spirit. "As many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God." John 1:12, 13. Here is the only power that can work the uplifting of mankind. And the human agency for the accomplishment of this work is the teaching and practicing of the word of God.

When the apostle Paul began his ministry in Corinth, that populous, wealthy, and wicked city, polluted by the nameless vices of heathenism, he said, "I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and Him crucified." 1 Corinthians 2:2. Writing afterward to some of those who had been corrupted by the foulest sins, he could say, "But ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God." "I thank my God always on your behalf, for the grace of God which is given you by Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 6:11; 1:4.

Now, as in Christ's day, the work of God's kingdom lies not with those who are clamoring for recognition and support by earthly rulers and human laws, but with those who are declaring to the people in His name those spiritual truths that will work in the receivers the experience of Paul: "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me." Galatians 2:20. Then they will labor as did Paul for the benefit of men. He said, "Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God." 2 Corinthians 5:20. 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #212 on: October 01, 2010, 07:38:17 AM »
Amen!

Sister Dee

« Reply #213 on: October 01, 2010, 10:06:40 AM »
Thank you for the post, Brother Richard.  Rather timely for me in light of the sermon we heard at church last Sabbath.  It is hard to listen to messages from the pulpit that seem designed to lead one to believe that it is our duty to change the government.   

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #214 on: April 05, 2011, 05:59:23 AM »
The message of justification by faith is to bring more prominently before the world the uplifted Saviour, the sacrifice for the sins of the whole world. It presents justification through faith in the Surety; it invites the people to receive the righteousness of Christ, which is made manifest in obedience to all the commandments of God. Many have lost sight of Jesus. They need to have their eyes directed to His divine person, His merits, and His changeless love for the human family. All power is given into His hands, that He may dispense rich gifts unto men, imparting the priceless gift of His own righteousness to the helpless human agent. This is the message that God commanded to be given to the world. It is the third angel's message, which is to be proclaimed with a loud voice, and attended with the outpouring of His Spirit in a large measure.

The uplifted Saviour is to appear in His efficacious work as the Lamb slain, sitting upon the throne, to dispense the priceless covenant blessings, the benefits He died to purchase for every soul who should believe on Him. John could not express that love in words; it was too deep, too broad; he calls upon the human family to behold it. Christ is pleading for the church in the heavenly courts above, pleading for those for whom He paid the redemption price of His own lifeblood. Centuries, ages, can never diminish the efficacy of this atoning sacrifice. The message of the gospel of His grace was to be given to the church in clear and distinct lines, that the world should no longer say that Seventh-day Adventists talk the law, the law, but do not teach or believe Christ. 

The efficacy of the blood of Christ was to be presented to the people with freshness and power, that their faith might lay hold upon its merits. As the high priest sprinkled the warm blood upon the mercy seat, while the fragrant cloud of incense ascended before God, so while we confess our sins and plead the efficacy of Christ's atoning blood, our prayers are to ascend to heaven, fragrant with the merits of our Saviour's character. Notwithstanding our unworthiness, we are ever to bear in mind that there is One that can take away sin and save the sinner. Every sin acknowledged before God with a contrite heart, He will remove. This faith is the life of the church. As the serpent was lifted up in the wilderness by Moses, and all that had been bitten by the fiery serpents were bidden to look and live, so also the Son of man must be lifted up, that "whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." 

Unless he makes it his life business to behold the uplifted Saviour, and by faith to accept the merits which it is his privilege to claim, the sinner can no more be saved than Peter could walk upon the water unless he kept his eyes fixed steadily upon Jesus. Now, it has been Satan's determined purpose to eclipse the view of Jesus and lead men to look to man, and trust to man, and be educated to expect help from man. For years the church has been looking to man and expecting much from man, but not looking to Jesus, in whom our hopes of eternal life are centered. Therefore God gave to His servants a testimony that presented the truth as it is in Jesus, which is the third angel's message, in clear, distinct lines. John's words are to be sounded by God's people, that all may discern the light and walk in the light: "He that cometh from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth: He that cometh from heaven is above all. And what He hath seen and heard, that He testifieth; and no man receiveth His testimony. He that hath received His testimony hath set to his seal that God is true. For He
whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto Him. The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into His hand. He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him."

This is the testimony that must go throughout the length and breadth of the world. It presents the law and the gospel, binding up the two in a perfect whole. (See Romans 5 and 1 John 3:9 to the close of the chapter.) These precious scriptures will be impressed upon every heart that is opened to receive them. "The entrance of Thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple"--those who are contrite in heart. "As many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name."  These have not a mere nominal faith, a theory of truth, a legal religion, but they believe to a purpose, appropriating to themselves the richest gifts of God. They plead for the gift, that they may give to others. They can say, "Of His fullness have all we received, and grace for grace."

"He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent His only-begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us, and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another. No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and His love is perfected in us. Hereby know we that we dwell in Him, and He in us, because He hath given us of His Spirit."

This is the very work which the Lord designs that the message He has given His servants shall perform in the heart and mind of every human agent. It is the perpetual life of the church to love God supremely and to love others as they love themselves. There was but little love for God or man, and God gave to His messengers just what the people needed. Those who received the message were greatly blessed, for they saw the bright rays of the Sun of Righteousness, and life and hope sprang up in their hearts. They were beholding Christ. "Fear not," is His everlasting assurance; "I am He that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive forevermore." "Because I live, ye shall live also." The blood of the spotless Lamb of God the believers apply to their own hearts. Looking upon the great Antitype, we can say, "It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us." The Sun of Righteousness shines into our hearts to give the knowledge of the glory of Jesus Christ. Of the Holy Spirit's office He says, "He shall glorify Me: for He shall receive of Mine, and shall show it unto you." The psalmist prays, "Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. . . . Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from Thy presence; and take not Thy Holy Spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation; and uphold me with Thy free Spirit. Then will I teach transgressors Thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto Thee." 

The Lord would have these grand themes studied in our churches, and if every church member shall give entrance to the Word of God, it will give light and understanding to the simple. "Who is among you that feareth the Lord, that obeyeth the voice of His servant, that walketh in darkness, and hath no light? let him trust in the name of the Lord, and stay upon his God. Behold, all ye that kindle a fire, that compass yourselves about with sparks: walk in the light of your fire, and in the sparks that ye have kindled. This shall ye have of Mine hand; ye shall lie down in sorrow." (See Isaiah 29:13-16, 18-21.) "Thus saith the Lord, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: but let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth Me, that I am the Lord which exercise loving-kindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the Lord."

Never was there a time when the Lord would manifest His great grace unto His chosen ones more fully than in these last days when His law is made void. "The Lord is well pleased for His righteousness' sake; He will magnify the law, and make it honorable." What does God say in regard to His people? "But this is a people robbed and spoiled; they are all of them snared in holes, and they are hid in prison houses: they are for a prey, and none delivereth; for a spoil, and none saith, Restore." (See also Isaiah 43.) These are prophecies that will be fulfilled. 

billy

« Reply #215 on: April 21, 2012, 08:59:32 PM »
"I know that Sister White, in Steps to Christ, says we don't have to repent before we can come to Jesus...." (Wally)

EGW got that right.

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me-watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." (Matt. 11:28-30 Message)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #216 on: April 21, 2012, 09:28:09 PM »
  11:28   Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 
  11:29   Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 
  11:30   For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. 

Yes, Billie, you are very perceptive. One does not have to repent before coming to Christ. We do not have any good thing in us until we make a full surrender to Jesus. We are evil by nature. But, we can choose to come to Jesus just as we are.  If we will learn of Him who gave all for us, we shall learn of His love. That love will draw us to Him and this will lead us to make a full surrender of our will to Him. When we do this, then He gives us repentance for past sins. Jesus said "If I be lifted up I will draw all men unto me."  All men He is drawing and unless we resist we shall be converted and manifest the fruits of His Spirit instead of the works of our flesh. There is then no condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus who walk not after the flesh, but after His Spirit.  Very good Billie! We are happy to be in unity with you on this important Biblical doctrine.

billy

« Reply #217 on: April 21, 2012, 10:46:07 PM »
In fact Christ tells us it even gets better than this in John chapter 5 and verse 24

"Truly, truly, I say unto you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgement, but has passed out of death into life." (John 5:25 NASB which is generally considered by most scholars as the most accurate translation that we have.)

That is surely the best news this world has ever heard of, I know it is for me.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #218 on: April 21, 2012, 11:33:56 PM »
5:24   Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. 

Yes, Billie, Jesus speaks the truth when He said "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind." Matt. 22:37.

We read in Acts  8:37    "And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest.(be baptized)." Many are buried alive, Billie because they do not believe with all the heart. They, like the devils believe and tremble. Many are deceived by false teachers that they have life when their faith is not saving faith. How can one tell if their faith is short of believing God with all the heart? The Bible tells us plainly, Billie.  "Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: show me thy faith without thy works, and I will show thee my faith by my works.  Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.  But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?" James 2:18-20.  Many have been deceived and they hate to hear this truth. Man is not saved by works, but he is surely going to be judged by his works. "Faith without works" is a dead faith, Billie.

By the way, Billie, I asked you to share your understanding of the first half of Romans chapter eight. You can do it here since it is foundational to the topic of Justification by Faith.

Here are the verses. Tell us what they mean to you, dear brother.

8:1   There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 
 8:2   For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. 
 8:3   For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: 
 8:4   That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 
 8:5   For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 
 8:6   For to be carnally minded [is] death; but to be spiritually minded [is] life and peace. 
 8:7   Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 
 8:8   So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. 
 8:9   But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. 
 8:10   And if Christ be in you, the body [is] dead because of sin; but the Spirit [is] life because of righteousness. 
 8:11   But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. 
 8:12   Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. 
 8:13   For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. 
 8:14   For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. 

The first verse is so very important in understanding justification by faith. Tell us how you interpret these simple words, Billie.

billy

« Reply #219 on: April 23, 2012, 05:27:45 AM »
Romans 8:1

"Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." (NASB)

Pretty simple to me. The key word in that verse is "now". That word is so beautiful, so true. That says so much about the gospel. In fact it makes a summary of the gospel in just that one word. If we accept Christ we have no condemnation "now". Right now we can claim that promise.

We do not have to wait for nearly 2,000 years to pass to claim it.