Author Topic: The Hebrew Sanctuary  (Read 193260 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Hebrew Sanctuary
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2001, 09:07:00 PM »
Brother Harry, our sisters are on the right track. You asked "Do you believe that this passage says that only PART of their sins and iniquities are atoned for here? What am I  missing?"

Well, I would first ask you why you believe that the transfer of the sins of Israel to Satan is an atonement? My understanding and that of the church has always been that none can atone for our sins except Jesus Christ. When He suffered and died He payed the price for our sins and when we confess our sins and accept Jesus as our Saviour, the blood of Christ covers our sins. The atonement takes place when we accept what Jesus has done for us. The sanctuary being defiled by our sins will be cleansed and the record will be brought up to date. The wages of sin is death and each will receive according to the works done in the flesh. By this, I understand that God is perfectly just and Satan will suffer in exact proportion for the sins he has committed. Having tempted men to sin, their sins will be placed upon him and he shall suffer the additional amount. Thus the sins from the sanctuary will be placed upon Satan as you have read.

Do you believe that the character of all who have confessed Christ will be compared to the Ten Commandments in the judgment?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Harry Elliott

• http://
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2001, 11:00:00 PM »
Thanks for all the responses.

My point was that in Lev  16: 21 the word “all” is repeated three times.   All their iniquities. All their transgressions.  All their sins.   How can all of them leave out any of them?  

The next verse says it again. “And the goat shall bear upon him ALL the iniquities of the children of Israel...” This is consistent with verse16 which says Aaron shall make an atonement for the tabernacle because of “their transgressions in ALL their sins”.

If we can find four statements that SOME of their sins were NOT placed on the scapegoat, it would be a wash.  But we haven’t  found even one, have we?

Wendy, you make a good point that these sins were indeed confessed--by the High Priest.  But as you pointed out, it says he confessed ALL of them.   I probably should have said simply “repented” instead of “confessed/repented”.

Liane, that’s an interesting suggestion of a possible reason that  the High Priest was instructed to confess all of the sins.  I’m wondering, do you know of any text that says that anyone who was unrepentant would die?  The capital punishment mentioned was for failing to fast (“afflict your souls”)  or keep the ceremonial sabbath.  But that dealt with obvious outward actions, because as you pointed out, the enforcers had no way to know what was in the people’s hearts.

Richard, you ask why I believe that the transfer of the sins of Israel to Satan is an atonement.  I think you may have overlooked verse 10 because it’s separated from the rest of the instruction regarding the scapegoat:

“But the goat, on which the lot fell to be the scapegoat, shall be presented alive before the Lord, to make an ATONEMENT with him...”   Lev 16:10

I think this chapter is worth the extra effort required for precision.  I avoided saying  “Satan”  because I don’t find that name in the chapter.  

And in response to your last question, I don’t find any mention in the  chapter of the  ten commandments or character judgment.  I try to be certain of no more that the scripture actually says.  :)

--Harry

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2001, 07:37:00 AM »
Brother Harry, I appreciate your attention to detail. I just wanted to understand how far removed you are from Seventh-day Adventist doctrine. Do you have a group that you study with that see this as you do, or are you by yourself in questioning our beliefs in these areas?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Liane H

« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2001, 06:17:00 PM »
Hi Harry:

I have studied Leviticus 16 many times and it is at a time such as this, that I am given the opportunity to see it with new eyes.

Throughout Leviticus 16, the use of atonement or expediation is used in the first half of Leviticus from verse 6 through verse 11.

Then from verse 16 through 18, the word atonement changes to mean purge. In connection blood is the form of this atonement.

When the word atonement (expediation) is used in verse 10, there is no blood attached to the process. The key words "with it" or "with him." The application of this word atonement as I understand it in this verse, the use of the word atonement, means to cover the scapegoat with the sins of the people.

The two ways the word atonement is used in this chapter is first:  Expediation means to amend or to cover. In the use of purge, the meaning is to cleanse.

In verse 1 through verse 10, is what you would call a pre-summary of what is going to happen, an explanation. From verse 11 through verse 20, is the actual performance of the atonement, the blood is applied, this is when the word atonement changes from expediation to purge. Then from verse 21 is the process of the scapegoat.

My understanding of the scapegoat as Satan comes from my relationship with my mother who was Jewish. The other name of scapegoat is Azazel, goat removal has always been associated with Satan from ancient times in Jewish tradition and teachings. I will have to study this further from the prospective of the Bible and the Spirit of Prophecy.

Again I have to say my understanding comes from what I learned from Judaism. In Levitcus 23, verse 29: "For whatsoever soul it be that shall not be afflicted in that same day, he shall be cut off from among his people." The word cut meaning in Hebrew to be destroyed or perish when used here. This has been understood that the judgment of every man for the year to come is finally decided.  

Liane

Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Harry Elliott

« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2001, 08:59:00 PM »
Liane--

Now that you mention it, I do recall a tradition that one’s fortunes during the following year depends on the degree of repentance during the period betwee their secular new year’s day and the Day of Atonement. Or something like that.  That may have influenced our own tradition of seeing judgment on this day.  A Jewish friend of mine told me how as a kid, he would listen to his stomach growl as the sun slowly inched its way toward sundown on the Day of Atonement.

Hmmm.  Atonement meaning to cover WITH sins is a new slant. But then, Jesus covered Himself with our sins. And Lev 16:5 says that both goats are for a sin offering. So the bodies of the two dead sin offerings and the live sin offering were all taken outside the encampment. “Let us go forth therefore unto him without the camp, bearing his reproach.”  (Heb 13:13)  I have difficulty concluding that in the face of all these parallels, that two of them represent Jesus and the other represents Satan.    But since the Bible doesn’t quite say so explicitly, I’ll try to stay open on the question.

I have to admit that I’m uncomfortable with changing the meaning of a word in mid-chapter, but your application makes sense.  The last act of atonement on the Day of Atonement is the burning of the bullock and the ram selected in the first act of the day .  Would you see these final sacrifices  as expediation or as purging?

Richard--

I do my studying alone.  It’s less fun, but more productive.  Here are a couple of my favorite EGW statements on the subject.

“There is no excuse for ayone in taking the position that all our expositions of Scripture are withour an error.  The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible.  Age will not make error into truth, and truth can affortd to be fair. No doctrine will lose anything by close investigation.”  R&H December 20, 1892

Unfortunately, it’s not easy to find a group interested in doing “close investigation”.  :)

And:

“How shall we search the Scriptures?  Shall we drive our stakes of doctrine one after another, and then try to make all Scripture meet  our established opinions?  Or shall we take our ideas and views to the Scripturess, and measure our theories on every side  by the Scriptures of truth?  ...We have many lessons to learn, and MANY, MANY to unlearn.” (Counsels to Writers and Editors, p38. Emphasis mine.)

--Harry

Liane H

« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2001, 05:56:00 PM »
Hi Harry:

I am dismayed by the fact that I am going away for a few days for a wedding. My favorite study has always been Leviticus 16.

Neither. There is no atonement from verse 25 to 28, which the final act of taking out the fat, the sin offerings that had been used as an atonement in the holy place, shall be carried without the camp and burned as well. The person who took the scapegoat and the person who burned the fat and remaining flesh used as the atonement had to wash their clothes. This is the final act of purification of the camp.

From verse 29 to the end of this chapter is a summation and extra detail information of what the day of atonement was about.

I found it interesting that you made this statement: "Jesus covered Himself with our sins."  I have understood that He covered our sins with the shedding of his blood for our sins, that He coveres our sins with His righteousness, and that he took upon himself our sins and was a sin bearer, but never "covered Himself with our sins." Could you explain a little more what you mean and where that comes from? Your probably saying the same thing, it just sounds strange to me.

I am also interested in your Jewish friend. What was the growling of his stomach about?. I know that the adults were to fast for the  Day of Atonement, but not the children.

As I said, I am sorry that I will not be able to respond or partake of this for a few days. But it will be the first place I will come to when I get back. I will try to get on before I leave in the morning to see if you have written, but if not, then I will when I get back.

Liane

Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Wendy

• http://www.megspace.com/religion/cainan/
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2001, 06:09:00 PM »
Liane~

I'm a little confused. You believe that Satan will burn for the sins of everyone even those who have not confessed?

It's my understanding that causing someone else to sin is a sin in it's own right and you will have that in your record. But what will happen to Satan goes even further. If Satan tempts me and I sin but then confess that sin and am forgiven and saved, that sin will be placed on Satan's record (like the scapegoat) as if he had committed that sin himself. That's part of the reason why Satan burns the longest and is the last to perish, he not only has 6000+ years of sins on his record but he spends time burning for the forgiven sins of everyone who is saved.

------------------------------------------
"The sins of the righteous having been transferred to Satan, he is made to suffer not only for his own rebellion, but for all the sins which he has caused God's people to commit. His punishment is to be far greater than that of those whom he has decieved. After all have perished who fell by his deceptions, he is still to live and suffer on. In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed, root and branch--Satan the root, his followers the branches." The Great Controversy pg 673
-----------------------------------------

The wicked die for their own sins, they are not transferred to Satan or Christ. That was what the Sanctuary service illustrated. The High Priest had to confess ALL the sins of Israel (and himself) on the lamb and on the scapegoat. He then wore a rope around his ankle because if he entered the most Holy Place with unconfessed sin, he would be struck dead and they could then use the rope to pull him out. Also when the priest confessed the sins of Israel, he did not confess the sins of say, the Ammonites or the Hittites and so those people's sins where not transfered symbolically to the scapegoat or the lamb.

I feel like I need to explain how I see what happened with Christ too in order to avoid anyone misunderstanding me. When Christ died he felt and died for every sin that had been committed and every sin that was yet to be committed. He had to or His sacrifice wouldn't have been complete. If you commit a sin, though, it is not automatically charged to His account. If it were everyone would be saved because they would have no sins on their account. If you confess and repent a sin, it is then charged to Christ (as the lamb) and Satan (as the scapegoat). If you are lost then that sin is charged to your account and you will pay for it.

I know that freaks out a lot of people because many start to worry that they might forget a sin and therefore be lost but I would say to anyone who feels that way, "just trust God". If I do something that I feel is a sin I usually feel sorry immediately and say so to God. At any time you can ask God to help you remember a sin you might need to repent of and then have faith that He will help you to do so. You can also, like David ask for forgiveness for sins that you don't even know are sins ("Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults." Psalms 19:12).

Anyway, I think I kind of got carried away. I just meant to explain what I understood about the transfer of sins and Satan and look where I ended up.

------------------
WendyL ~ Maranatha!   :)

[This message has been edited by Wendy (edited 04-03-2001).]

WendyL ~ Maranatha!:)

Wendy

« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2001, 06:16:00 PM »
Liane~  :)

You must be on at the same time as I am, I just noticed your last post after I posted. You're lucky, I wish I got to go to weddings, I'm always the one who has to go to funerals. My sister gets all the weddings. :)

Liane H

« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2001, 11:50:00 PM »
Hi Wendy:

Still up before my trip. Wanted to post this before I left. Early Writings, page 295:

"Satan bore not only the weight and punishment of his own sins, but also the sins of the redeemed host, which had been placed upon him; AND HE ALSO MUST SUFFER FOR THE RUIN OF SOULS WHICH HE  HAD CAUSED."

Liane

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2001, 08:35:00 AM »
This is a good discussion and I hope to have this question resolved in my mind.  It has never been clear as to which is true. I am not sure that it is crucial, but in looking at the Sancturary service it may help us in our discussion with others on foundation issues to be able to explain this from the Bible.

It seems we have gotten the horse ahead of the carriage, for there are many that are still in need of a clear picture of the simple gospel as revealed in the daily service. It may be that we will need to open a forum for this important and all encompassing subject so that we can have discussion and study on many areas at the same time.

Let us continue on this subect here and let me know what you all think of a forum for the sanctuary.

Brother Harry, I agree with what you have quoted and we do not want to discourage study of the Bible and these important subjects. My only concern is that we keep within the framework that we know is truth as we "teach". All may question what we believe, but we need to take great care in not teaching that which is contrary to what we have accepted as truth as a people.

My great concern revolves around the foundation of our faith and it was to this that I was inquiring. If you take exception with the foundation principles that are taught throughout the Bible in regards to the need of an abiding Saviour that we might overcome sin, then it would be much easier to discuss the situation in simple terms.

Do you believe that when Jesus walks out of the Most Holy Place in heaven and probation closes that none of the saved will sin? And, again, do you believe that when each name comes up in the judgment that the issue will be the character of the person as compared to the Ten Commandments? Or, do you believe that Jesus will give us our perfect character when He comes?

Wendy

« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2001, 12:17:00 PM »
Hi Liane~    :)

---------------------------------
"Satan bore not only the weight and punishment of his own sins, but also the sins of the redeemed host, which had been placed upon him; AND HE ALSO MUST SUFFER FOR THE RUIN OF SOULS WHICH HE HAD CAUSED."
-----------------------------------

I totally agree. My understanding is that anytime we do something that leads another person into sin that is in itself a sin and unless we repent of that sin it will remain on our record and if we are lost we will pay for that sin. Satan is ultimately responsible for leading everyone into sin so he will suffer for those sins.

There is something more going on in the Sanctuary service when the priest confessed the sins of Israel on the head of the scapegoat (which represents satan) then what I just talked about. In the service all the confessed and forgiven sins of those who are saved (read Israel) are transferred to the scapegoat(satan). I'm having trouble trying to explain this clearly so I'll use an imaginary example. I'll make up some guy and call him John. Let's say Satan temps John to steal a car and John does it, at this point Satan has a sin on his record of tempting John to steal the car and John has the sin of stealing the car on his record. If John's probation were to close at this time Satan would pay for having tempted John to steal the car and John would pay for stealing the car. That's how Satan "MUST SUFFER FOR THE RUIN OF SOULS WHICH HE HAD CAUSED".

What's going on in the Sanctuary service is something different. Let's now say that John is converted and repents for stealing the car and that sin is forgiven him and John is in a saved condition when his probation closes. Now John goes to heaven, Satan still burns for having tempted John to steal the car and now Satan also burns for John's sin of stealing the car as if he were the one who stole the car.

That is what I learn from the Sanctuary service. When the sinner confessed his sin on the head of the lamb (representing Jesus) his sin was transferred (symbolically) to the lamb. Jesus suffered and died for each of our sins, however if we refuse to accept Him and His sacrifice for us we must pay for our own sins. If we are saved, then our sins are laid on Christ's record (for which He has already paid the price) and they are laid on Satan (who has yet to pay the price). This was symbolized in the Santuary- Day of Atonement service by the priest confessing all the sins of Israel (which represent the saved) on the animal that represented Christ and the animal that represented Satan (the scapegoat) thus transferring those sins symbolically to those animals. Christ suffered for everyone's sin and Satan will suffer for the confessed and forgiven sins of the saved. At the same time Satan will also suffer for the sin of tempting others to sin. That's what I've learned in my studies anyway.

I know you won't be around for a couple of days so I'll look foreward to your reply later.    :)

------------------
WendyL ~ Maranatha!  :)

[This message has been edited by Wendy (edited 04-04-2001).]

Harry Elliott

« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2001, 10:39:00 AM »
Hi Richard--

I enthusiastically endorse your concern for getting the horse and cart right-way-round.  :)

For me, that means always starting with scripture and only being certain of those things the passage conclusively establishes.  In that spirit, I have attempted to extract from Leviticus 16 a comprehensive list of the actions taken by the High Priest on the Day of Atonement. I hate being wordy, but Aaron was a busy guy that day!  

1) He brings a bullock for a sin offering and a ram for a burnt offering to the sanctuary.
2) He bathes in water.
3) He dons special linen vestments worn only on that day.
4) He takes from the congregation two young goats for a sin offering and one ram for a burnt offering.
5) He presents the goats befort the Lord and casts lots to choose one for the Lord and one for Azazel.
6) He kills the bullock.
7) He takes the smoking censer into the Most Holy Place and returns to the courtyard.
8) He takes some bullock blood into the Most Holy Place, sprinkles it 7 times before the mercy seat and retuns to the courtyard.
9) He kills the Lord’s goat.
10) He takes some goat blood into the Most Holy Place, sprinkles it 7 times before the mercy seat and retuns to the courtyard.
11) He takes some bullock blood into the Holy Place, sprinkles it 7 times and retuns to the courtyard.
12) He takes some goat blood into the Holy Place, sprinkles it 7 times and retuns to the courtyard.
13) He puts bullock blood and goats blood on the horns of the altar in the courtyard.
14) He sprinkles bullock blood 7 times on the altar.
15) He sprinkles goat blood 7 times on the altar.
16) He confesses all the sins and uncleanness of the congregation upon the head of the scapegoat and sends it into the wilderness, evidtntly to succomb to starvation or predators.
17) He returns to the Holy Place to remove his special vestments, bathe and put on his everyday High Priestly outfit.
18) He slaughters the 2 rams for burnt offerings.
19) He burns the fat of the sin offering upon the altar.

Phew! At last to your question about what happens when Jesus comes out of the heavenly Most Holy Place.

After the typical High Priest came out of the Most Holy Place for the third and last time, he still had  three animals still living and actions 11-19 to perform, so it’s not obvious to me that an end to sinning is depicted at this juncture. What do you think?

--Harry

Harry Elliott

« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2001, 10:50:00 AM »

Hi Liane--

I’m disappointed too, but then what’s a few days?  I agree that there is no mentione of atonement in verses 25-28. I guess I should have been a little more explicit in my question about the final atonement for the day. I meant verse 24, (action 18 in the list I prepared above).

“And he shall...offer his burnt offering, and the burnt offering of the people, and *make an atonement* for himself, and for the people.”

So AFTER the sanctuary is cleansed, and AFTER the scapegoat is released, the High Priest made yet another atonement for himself and for the people. And this involved killing two more animals!

You are correct, of course, in pointing out that the Bible never uses the word “cover” in describing Jesus and our sins.  At least, that I know of.  I was simply noticing that the scapegoat being  “covered” by sins that weren’t its own seems analogous to Jesus taking upon Himself sins that weren’t His own.  I was just thinking out loud. That always gets me into trouble.   :)

--Harry

Liane H

« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2001, 12:45:00 PM »
Hi Harry:

Surprise, guess what, I am on. We had a lot of problems getting onto this computer I am using, long story, but I am on for today only.

There were only three animals killed for the offerings that day. One bullock, one ram and one goat. The other goat kept alive and sent off to die.

At the end after the High Priest washed himself, he did the burnt offering, this was one of the animal listed above, which is verse 24. There had not been any burnt offering up to this point. The ram was only for the burnt offering. There is no indication that any more animals were killed. Then the fat was burned at the alter.

Whatever remains were left of these two animals, the bullock and the goat were sent out of the camp and burned completely.

Hope this helps. I will try to get back on later today, but have to get off to help them get there computer back to where it was before.

Liane

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Harry Elliott

« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2001, 08:29:00 PM »
Hi Liane--

Thanks for the feedback.  If I got it right the first time, I’d be shocked.  :)

Hmmm, are you saying that the rams were not a part of the Day of Atonement service?  Their presentation at the Sanctuary is certainly integrated into the day’s rituals (acts 1 and 4 in my list).  And their sacrifice was expressly to “make an atonement for himself, and for the people”.  This is an echo of statements throughout the day’s instructions.

As I recall, the continual/daily/tamid/evening-and morning burnt offerings were lambs, and the instruction was that they were to be offered every day, in addition to whatever else was happening. So the rams would not be for that offering. Right?

And help me out with only one ram sacrificed.  Verse 3 says Aaron brings a ram for a burnt offering, and verse 5 say he takes another ram for a burnt offering from the congregation.  Then verse 24 says “offer his burnt offering, and the burnt offering of the people” to make atonement for the two parties.   That makes four slaughtered animals, doesn’t it? Are you basing your observations on later Judaic tradition?

--Harry

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2001, 08:51:00 PM »
Brother Harry, what about the judgment?  Is the character of the professor of Christ being compared to the Ten Commandments?

Richard

Liane H

« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2001, 08:03:00 AM »
Hi Harry:

Still here. We are leaving later than we had planned on, so I got a chance.

My understanding, but I will most certainly study it again when I get back. Verse 1 thru 10 is an outline of what is going to happen from 11 and on. They are still speaking about the one ram. It is still the ram that was used as verse 24 for the burnt offering. But I will check further.

You did a great outline and when I get back I am going to print this for further study. Perhaps if you are inclined you might want to put the verse number next to each statement and that would give all of us a sense of the chapter.

Today will be very busy and I may not get back on. But thank you for working with me on this as Lev 16 has been my favorite study and I am learning as well.

Also in closing, the rams are used in the daily which also represent Christ as the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. There is no daily done on the day of atonement.

Must close now as we are going to town to get more things before we leave. Take care and talk later.

Liane  

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Harry Elliott

« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2001, 05:55:00 PM »
Hi Richard--

I think the way to go is to start with the bedrock of the Bible description of the High Priest’s tasks on the Day of Atonement, and work up from there. If judgment  and the ten commandments are plainly there, it will be worth our patience. Do you see any errors in my list of these tasks?
I could have missed some of the actions he performed, or gotten them out of order.  I had to make my own list because I have never found a complete list in any source.  I consider omissions to be a form of error.

If there are any lurkers out there, please lend a hand.  :)

--Harry

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2001, 09:38:00 PM »
Happy Sabbath, all.

Brother Harry,  I think the place to begin is  with the daily, but because Sister Liane and others are interested in continuing with the day of atonement, let us continue. It is easy to build upon a false foundation and if we have not agreed upon the duties up to the day of atonement, it will be easy to misunderstand the acts performed on the day of atonement.

The beautiful fact about the message we have been given as a people is that it is taught from Genesis to Revelation. There have been many who have attempted to remove the pins from the platform of our faith, but this will not be done. While we may examine our beliefs, we know that what we are teaching is truth and are comforted when we read of what others believed. It is also comforting to know that what we see happening today has been prophesied.

There is a caution as we move forward. "The time has come when we must firmly refuse to be drawn away from the platform of eternal truth, which since 1844 has stood the test." Letter 277, 1904. "The Word of the Lord has guided our steps since the passing of the time in 1844. We have searched the Scriptures; we have built solidly; and we have not had to tear up our foundations and put in new timbers." Letter 24, 1907. "The great waymarks of truth, showing us our bearing in prophetic history, are to be carefully guarded, lest they be torn down and replaced with theories that would bring confusion rather than genuine light." Ms 31, 1896. "Listen not a moment to the interpretations that would loosen one pin, remove one pillar, from the platform of truth. Human interpretations, the reception of fables, will spoil your faith, confuse your understanding, and make of none effect your faith in Jesus Christ. Study diligently the third chapter of Revelation. In it is pointed out the danger of losing your hold upon the things that you have heard and learned from the Source of all light." Letter 230, 1906.

Finally, "When men come in who would move one pin or pillar from the foundation which God has established by His Holy Spirit, let the aged men who were pioneers in our work speak plainly, and let those who are dead speak also, by the reprinting of their articles in our periodicals. Gather up the rays of divine light that God has given as He has led His people on step by step in the way of truth. This truth will stand the test of time and trial." Ms 62, 1905.  "The truths given us after the passing of the time in 1844 are just as certain and unchangeable as when the Lord gave them to us in answer to our urgent prayers. The visions that the Lord has given me are so remarkable that we know that what we have accepted is the truth. This was demonstrated by the Holy Spirit. Light, precious light from God, established the main points of our faith as we hold them today. Letter 50, 1906.

While God is happy to give new light, we can sense a real danger when any come attempting to contradict what we have taught as a people regarding the foundation of our faith. This is why I ask the questions of Brother Harry. We are not talking incidentals, we are at the very foundation of our faith. The questions I have asked Brother Harry, and their answers regarding what we believe as a people, are supported by the Bible from the beginning to the end.

Like the seventh-day Sabbath, and the pre-existance of Jesus, we know them to be truth. We are not fearful to give an answer for our faith, but we are not ready to allow for the teaching of contrary doctrine. So, while we continue our study, we do so with no intent to prove what we believe is wrong.

We do not believe what we believe because someone else believes it, but because we have tasted and we can confirm from the Bible and the Spirit of Prophecy that it is so. Let us prayerfully continue that the light might shine more brightly.

Harry Elliott

« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2001, 02:18:00 PM »
Hi Richard--

I have been meaning for some time to collect all of EGW’s statements on the sanctuary and arrange them by subcategory .  I only recently bought the CD for that purpose.  You have given me a headstart.

One line that particularly appeals to me is, “We have searched the Scriptures; we have built solidly...”

I would like to emulate thier effort. I can either do what they did and see what the scripture says precisely, or do what they refused to do and merely assent to the conclusions of others.  There is no risk in the former, only the reward of the Bereans.

If the Day of Atonement teaches us what Jesus will do on the antitypical Day of Atonement, then I want to know precisely what it says.  Without speculation.  (Speculation’s okay,  but I like to recognize it as a separate category from the specific “thus sayeth the Lord”).

That’s why I painstakenly extracted the outline of what the earthly High Priest did on the Day of Atonement. To summarize even further:

A) He went twice into the Most Holy Place to sprinkle the blood of two sin offerings. Lev16:14,15

B) He went twice into the Holy Place to sprinkle the blood of the same two sin offerings. vs 16b

C) He went twice to the altar in the courtyard to sprinkle the blood of the same two sin offerings.vss 18,19

D) He confessed all the sins of the people on the head of another sin offering and sent it without the camp to perish.vss 21,22

E) He sacrificed two more animals as additional atonements and burned their carcases in the courtyard . vs 24

All of these actions are called making atonement.

Regardless of what we believe about Jesus’ present ministry from OTHER scriptures, the description of the Day of Atonement does not seem to describe anything being done in the Most Holy Place that is substantially different from his continuing duties on that day.

Perhaps I’m missing something. Do you see any statement in THIS description of the Day of Atonement that clearly ESTABLISHES that the High Priest was performing a judgment in the Most Holy Place, or that his ministry in the other two parts of the sanctuary was less important?  Or do we look elsewhere? (Nothing wrong with that.  The Bible is a big book.)

--Harry