Author Topic: Difficult Biblical Questions  (Read 63666 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Difficult Biblical Questions
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2010, 07:42:22 PM »
They certainly have, Ed. Thank you.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2010, 08:35:33 PM »
That is a very good explanation, Brother Ed. But, like Sister Sybil, it hurts my mind to think of it that way. I have a heavenly Father that I know very well!  He loves me so much that He allowed His innocent Son to come to this dark world as a helpless babe subject to our weaknesses at the risk of failure and eternal loss! Jesus is His Son and my Saviour.  So, I have them both settled nicely into my little brain.  :)

I have no other answer. Jesus said if you have seen me, you have seen the Father. I would have to say that they are both of the same character and in that sense we can know either as representing the very same principles of life. They are of one mind of one character.  But, I see the Father and the Son. :)
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2010, 05:05:29 AM »
Yes, Richard. Separate individuals, but the same in every particular. You made reference to the verse I had in mind when asking this question: Jesus said if you have seen me, you have seen the Father.  

Heaven will have enough time for us to comprehend these things?

Vicki

« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2010, 05:36:44 AM »
"ye are gods"

Psalm 82

1 God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.

2 How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.

3 Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.

4 Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.

5 They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.

6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

7 But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.

8 Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations.

If the answer is in John 10 I can't grasp it. Perhaps someone could spell it out for me.

John 10

31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.

32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?

33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

37 If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.

38 But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2010, 07:04:38 AM »
... good addition, Victoria.  :)

Sister Dee

« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2010, 08:15:05 AM »
That one has boggled my mind as well! 

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2010, 09:52:04 AM »
Humans were built to have dominion over the Earth and all the living things.   They were to rule and have the character of Whom they see as God, rulling in and over them. 

Thus in a sense to the lesser creatures and the planet they were as gods - rulers, in whom the character and union with the Co-Creator Gods dwelt. 

Once they gave their obedience to a usurper interposing between the Co-Creator Gods, this false god became their god and claimed them and Earth as his, and probably demanded a seat upon Deities Throne.   He was in Heaven during high Church or Church in business session among the Adams of all the worlds. 

Thus a defining of the true Dieties had to be made in scripture. 

Jeremiah 10:

1 ¶  Hear ye the word which the LORD speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:
2  Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
3  For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
4  They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.
5  They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.
6  Forasmuch as there is none like unto thee, O LORD; thou art great, and thy name is great in might.
7  Who would not fear thee, O King of nations? for to thee doth it appertain: forasmuch as among all the wise men of the nations, and in all their kingdoms, there is none like unto thee.
8  But they are altogether brutish and foolish: the stock is a doctrine of vanities.
9  Silver spread into plates is brought from Tarshish, and gold from Uphaz, the work of the workman, and of the hands of the founder: blue and purple is their clothing: they are all the work of cunning men.
10  But the LORD is the true God, he is the living God, and an everlasting king: at his wrath the earth shall tremble, and the nations shall not be able to abide his indignation.
11  Thus shall ye say unto them, The gods that have not made the heavens and the earth, even they shall perish from the earth, and from under these heavens.
12  He hath made the earth by his power, he hath established the world by his wisdom, and hath stretched out the heavens by his discretion.
13  When he uttereth his voice, there is a multitude of waters in the heavens, and he causeth the vapours to ascend from the ends of the earth; he maketh lightnings with rain, and bringeth forth the wind out of his treasures.
14  Every man is brutish in his knowledge: every founder is confounded by the graven image: for his molten image is falsehood, and there is no breath in them.
15  They are vanity, and the work of errors: in the time of their visitation they shall perish.
16  The portion of Jacob is not like them: for he is the former of all things; and Israel is the rod of his inheritance: The LORD of hosts is his name.
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Ed Sutton

« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2010, 10:20:04 AM »
When Jesus said "ye are gods"  lots of stuff was going on all around Him.  Here's what I found ("ye are gods" = 2 hits

ONE OF THE FEATURES THAT DISTINGUISH THE TRUE GOD FROM ALL FALSE GODS, IS THE POWER TO COMMUNICATE WITH MEN REGARDING THE PAST AND THE FUTURE. THROUGH THE PROPHET ISAIAH, JEHOVAH ISSUES A CHALLENGE TO THE GODS WORSHIPED BY THE HEATHEN: "LET THEM SHOW THE FORMER THINGS, WHAT THEY BE, THAT WE MAY CONSIDER THEM, AND KNOW THE LATTER END OF THEM; OR DECLARE US THINGS FOR TO COME. SHOW THE THINGS THAT ARE TO COME HEREAFTER, THAT WE MAY KNOW THAT YE ARE GODS." AND BECAUSE OF THE INABILITY OF THESE FALSE GODS TO DO THIS, JEHOVAH DECLARES, "BEHOLD, YE ARE OF NOTHING, AND YOUR WORK OF NOUGHT; AN ABOMINATION IS HE THAT CHOOSETH YOU." ISAIAH 41:22-24. {CET 250.1}
     ONE OF THE DIVINELY APPOINTED TESTS OF A TRUE PROPHET OF GOD IS THE ACCURATE FULFILLMENT OF HIS WORDS. TO ANCIENT ISRAEL GOD SAID THROUGH MOSES, HIMSELF A MIGHTY PROPHET: {CET 250.2}
     "IF THOU SAY IN THINE HEART, HOW SHALL WE KNOW THE WORD WHICH THE LORD HATH NOT SPOKEN? WHEN A PROPHET SPEAKETH IN THE NAME OF THE LORD, IF THE THING FOLLOW NOT, NOR COME TO PASS, THAT IS THE THING WHICH THE LORD HATH NOT SPOKEN, BUT THE PROPHET HATH SPOKEN IT PRESUMPTUOUSLY: THOU SHALT NOT BE AFRAID OF HIM." DEUTERONOMY 18:21, 22. {CET 250.3}

November 27, 1893 The True Sheep Respond to the Voice of
the Shepherd.
-
By Mrs. E. G. White.
-

"I am the Good Shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine. As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold; them also must I bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one Shepherd."  {ST, November 27, 1893 par. 1}

In the East it is the custom of the shepherd to name his sheep, and as the sheep learn their names, they respond to the voice of the shepherd. The shepherd goes before them and leads them out, guiding them from the fold to the pasture. The sheep recognize the voice of the shepherd and follow him. Jesus declared himself to be the true shepherd, because he gave his life for the sheep. He says; "Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father."  {ST, November 27, 1893 par. 2}

Jesus spoke these words in the hearing of a large concourse of people, and a deep impression was made upon the hearts of many who listened. The scribes and Pharisees were filled with jealousy because he was regarded with favor by many. Among the multitude were also rulers, who were deeply impressed as they listened to his important words. While he represented himself as the True Shepherd, the Pharisees said, "He hath a devil, and is mad; why hear ye him?" But others distinguished the voice of the True Shepherd, and said:--  {ST, November 27, 1893 par. 3}

"These are not the words of him that hath a devil. Can a devil open the eyes of the blind? And it was at Jerusalem the feast of the dedication, and it was winter. And Jesus walked in the temple in Solomon's porch. Then came the Jews round about him, and said unto him, How long dost thou make us to doubt? If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly. Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not; the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me. But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me; and I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. I and my Father are one."  {ST, November 27, 1893 par. 4}

With what firmness and power he uttered these words. The Jews had never before heard such words from human lips, and a convicting influence attended them; for it seemed that divinity flashed through humanity as Jesus said, "I and my Father are one." The words of Christ were full of deep meaning as he put forth the claim that he and the Father were of one substance, possessing the same attributes. The Jews understood his meaning, there was no reason why they should misunderstand, and they took up stones to stone him. Jesus looked upon them calmly and unshrinkingly, and said, "Many good works have I showed you from my Father; for which of these works do ye stone me?"  {ST, November 27, 1893 par. 5}

The Majesty of heaven stood, calmly assured, as a god before his adversaries. Their scowling faces, their hands filled with stones, did not intimidate him. He knew that unseen forces, legions of angels, were round about him, and at one word from his lips they would strike with dismay the throng, should they offer to cast upon him a single stone. He stood before them undaunted. Why did not the stones fly to the mark?--It was because divinity flashed through humanity, and they received a revelation, and were convicted that his were no common claims. Their hands relax and the stones fall to the ground. His words had asserted his divinity, but now his personal presence, the light of his eye, the majesty of his attitude, bore witness to the fact that he was the beloved Son of God.  {ST, November 27, 1893 par. 6}

Had the Pharisees misunderstood his words, he could and would have corrected their wrong impression. He could have told them that he was no blasphemer, although he had called himself the Son of God, and that his words need not necessarily mean that he had invested himself with divine prerogatives, and made himself equal with the Father. But he made no such statement. The impression they had received was the very impression he desired to make. Jesus answered them: "Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the Scripture cannot be broken; say ye of Him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God? If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not. But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works; that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him." Again the hatred and the wrath is stirred within the breast of the Jews, and they sought "to take him; but he escaped out of their hand, and went away again beyond Jordan into the place where John at first baptized; and there he abode. And many resorted unto him, and said, John did no miracle; but all things that John spake of this man were true. And many believed on him there.
                                                                -
  {ST, November 27, 1893 par. 7}
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2010, 01:39:56 PM »
If we look at the context of both Psalm 82 and the passage in John, it becomes clear what Jesus is saying. Understanding why the author said "ye are gods" seems to be a translation loss or a lack of understanding on our part. But in context we can know exactly what he meant.  

In Psalm 82 we find the author setting the stage: Verse 1: "God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods."  It appears that there is God and there are other "gods" that do "judging".  Now, God is just, how about the other "gods"? Verse 2: "How long will "YE" judge unjustly?  So, we draw from these two verses that the judges who judge unjustly are being referred to as "gods". And then the author of the Psalm instructs the "gods" to:  verses 3 and 4: "Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked."

Verse 6 is a reference again to the "gods" from verse 1 and 2. "I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High." A better translation would probably remove our concern. How about "Ye think ye are "gods".....and then verse 7: "But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes." They are not gods at all. They are only being called gods, and even if the author calls them gods, it is because they think of themselves as gods in that they are dong the judging as if they were God. Verse 8 is a call for God to judge them and the whole earth: "Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations."

Having discerned the intent of Psalm 82, we then can look at the Words of Jesus in John 10.

The Jews wanted to kill Jesus and were looking for an excuse. When He claimed to be the Son of God, they took this as their excuse. But, Jesus, as He always did, revealed their hypocrisy.  

John 10 verse 33: "The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God."  Jesus points out that they accuse Him of claiming to be God, He then points to their making many gods of themselves, verse 34: "Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?" Now, we go back to what was being said in Psalm 82. In that Psalm we saw inspiration rebuking those who thought themselves as "gods". Jesus knew what was being said and so ought the Jews He was speaking to. It was made very clear in the psalm that they were not gods', but unjust judges. Jesus continues in verse 35 and 36: "If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?"  So, they called their unjust judges "gods" and they were not guilty of blasphemy, so why accuse Jesus of this when He only called Himself the Son of God? Of course He was God, but He was only pointing to their hypocrisy. He then goes on in verses 37 and 38 to tell them that they may indeed know that He is intimately connected to the God of heaven: "If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not. But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him."
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Vicki

« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2010, 08:30:37 AM »
A lot of that makes sense. Which leads me to a different thought on the translation "Ye are gods." 

Psalm 82:6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

We have all been given the opportunity to be a child of God. Could that be the reason man can be called "gods" definitely lower case ~ because we are given an inheritance in Christ we can be called the sons of God. "Ye shall die like men" reveals the path away from God that too many have taken.

Ephesians 1:10,11 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him: In whom also we have obtained an inheritance... 

Revelation 21:7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

I thought the Bible said Christ is our Brother? I can't find it...

Ed Sutton

« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2010, 11:37:01 AM »
Proverbs 18:24  A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.

SOP identifies Jesus Christ in position of Elder Brother .    The Principles identifying Him thus are in Scripture, the specific words are not.

......They could speak the name of Jesus with assurance; for was He not their Friend and Elder Brother ? .......{AA 45.3 - 46.1} 

.......Behold the Son of God bowed in prayer to His Father! Though He is the Son of God, He strengthens His faith by prayer, and by communion with heaven gathers to Himself power to resist evil and to minister to the needs of men. As the Elder Brother of our race He knows the necessities of those who, compassed with infirmity and living in a world of sin and temptation, still desire to serve Him. ..........{AA 56.1}

In the courts above, Christ is pleading for His church --pleading for those for whom He has paid the redemption price of His blood. Centuries, ages, can never lessen the efficacy of His atoning sacrifice. Neither life nor death, height nor depth, can separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus; not because we hold Him so firmly, but because He holds us so fast. If our salvation depended on our own efforts, we could not be saved; but it depends on the One who is behind all the promises. Our grasp on Him may seem feeble, but His love is that of an elder brother; so long as we maintain our union with Him, no one can pluck us out of His hand.  {AA 552.2} 

(  "elder brother"  = 103 hits )

colporteur

« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2011, 08:20:38 PM »
It has been one of those marathon Sabbaths and is late so maybe I'm missing the obvious. Perhaps some of of our faithful Bbile students on the forum can offer some feedback on this question. I was not sure just where to put it so I opted for this spot. I brought this up today in a group setting and the only feedback was that it happens at Christ's second coming and the bride is the new Jerusalem. No more was said and the subject was changed.

When the wedding of the Bride and the Lamb take place when and how does it happen ?

The most popular answer is that it happens at Christ's second coming. Some believe that since the bride is the church and since this is when God's people physically go up to meet Him this is when the wedding/marriage takes place.

Others say that it is the second coming when the wedding takes place because the bride, new Jerusalem/ His dominion, is given to Christ. They say that God's people are the quests at the wedding and therefore they cannot be the bride.

Another view is that the wedding takes place in the judgment as the names of the faithful come up and the destiny of God's people is sealed and made known in heaven. They say that at that time the marriage takes place.

Maybe since I'm tired and ready for bed I have not made this clear.

When does the wedding of Christ to the bride happen ?

It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2011, 09:00:21 PM »
We discussed that here: The Ten Virgins

It is an incredible Bible study. You will enjoy reading it.

Sleep well, Colporteur.  :)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2011, 10:43:04 AM »
Ok... this is probably much simpler than I think but I've often wondered about the following text...

Gal 6:10 As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.

Especially in light of this text from James...

Jas 2:9 But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2011, 11:21:49 AM »
Maybe it is in the same category as the statement from Jesus about not casting pearls before swine.  While we should treat everyone with respect, as Jesus did, even with His betrayer and His murderers, there is a barrier that exists between the believe and the unbeliever.  There is a reason that Christians call each other brother and sister.  We are part of a family.  Members of a family are in a different relationship with each other from those who are unrelated.  There are perks to membership in the family of God. 

Maybe I'm not saying right, but that's what came to mind.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2011, 11:35:47 AM »
Wally, during and after I posted this question the idea of not casting pearls before swine also came to mind and your reference to the family is interesting and I think correct now that I'm thinking along these lines. In families who have Christ at the center will have relationships that are much closer and a small taste of Heaven while on earth. It would be virtually impossible to experience such a thing with a stranger that doesn't believe the same.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2011, 12:28:15 PM »
God sends His rain and sunshine upon the righteous and the unrighteous. We too, are to bless those who despitefully use us. We love the sinner and hate the sin.

"Let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith."  Here we see the same admonition to do good to all men. It does not say to withhold blessings from sinners. But, taken with other Scripture, we understand that those who will not work, shall not eat.  Line upon line, precept upon precept. When we do good to our fellow believers, it is not "respecting persons" as in the the Bible verse in question.  Respecting character is not the same as respecting worldly power and position. We are to treat all men with respect. We are to do for the poor what we would do for the rich. In other words, we are not to act in our self interest.  This is the intent of the Bible verse that says "if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin."  It is a selfish "respect that is sin. In helping especially those of our faith, we are not acting in our self interest.

Vicki

« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2011, 03:21:17 PM »
"Let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith." I always thought it meant to take care of church members first. There is limited time and materials so we cannot help everyone as much as we would like to. Applying this, when we have extra garden produce we first ask those members we know might be in need if they would like some before we ask neighbors or take it to the food pantry. It's just prioritizing who comes first.

colporteur

« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2012, 05:20:40 PM »
I have always wondered about John 10:33-36.  We believe that the "gods" in verse 34 and the first part of vs 35  means "magistrates" and that the "God" in verse 33 means Divinity. I am trying to wrap my mind around Jesus' point. They are accusing Jesus of saying He is the God of heaven (and He is) and Jesus is replying by saying that he called them "magistrates" ? I'm obviously missing something because that would be a non point.  Even if Jesus did not call them magistrates but they said he called them magistrates it is still a mute point because magistrates and God do not equate. That would be like someone accusing me of saying I am a pastor and I reply, haven't I said you are laymen ?

vs 33 " The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone  thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that that thou, being a man, makest  thyself God,

vs. 34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said Ye are gods ?

vs 35 If he called them gods, unto  whom the word of God came, and scripture cannot be broken;

vs 36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified , and sent unto the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Ed Sutton

« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2012, 08:29:03 PM »
   November 27, 1893 The True Sheep Respond to the Voice of the Shepherd.    By Mrs. E. G. White.
-
context of the verse in question

"I am the Good Shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine. As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold; them also must I bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one Shepherd."  {ST, November 27, 1893 par. 1}

In the East it is the custom of the shepherd to name his sheep, and as the sheep learn their names, they respond to the voice of the shepherd. The shepherd goes before them and leads them out, guiding them from the fold to the pasture. The sheep recognize the voice of the shepherd and follow him. Jesus declared himself to be the true shepherd, because he gave his life for the sheep. He says; "Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father."  {ST, November 27, 1893 par. 2}

Jesus spoke these words in the hearing of a large concourse of people, and a deep impression was made upon the hearts of many who listened. The scribes and Pharisees were filled with jealousy because he was regarded with favor by many. Among the multitude were also rulers, who were deeply impressed as they listened to his important words. While he represented himself as the True Shepherd, the Pharisees said, "He hath a devil, and is mad; why hear ye him?" But others distinguished the voice of the True Shepherd, and said:--  {ST, November 27, 1893 par. 3}

"These are not the words of him that hath a devil. Can a devil open the eyes of the blind? And it was at Jerusalem the feast of the dedication, and it was winter. And Jesus walked in the temple in Solomon's porch. Then came the Jews round about him, and said unto him, How long dost thou make us to doubt? If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly. Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not; the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me. But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me; and I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. I and my Father are one."  {ST, November 27, 1893 par. 4}

With what firmness and power he uttered these words. The Jews had never before heard such words from human lips, and a convicting influence attended them; for it seemed that divinity flashed through humanity as Jesus said, "I and my Father are one." The words of Christ were full of deep meaning as he put forth the claim that he and the Father were of one substance, possessing the same attributes. The Jews understood his meaning, there was no reason why they should misunderstand, and they took up stones to stone him. Jesus looked upon them calmly and unshrinkingly, and said, "Many good works have I showed you from my Father; for which of these works do ye stone me?"  {ST, November 27, 1893 par. 5}

The Majesty of heaven stood, calmly assured, as a god before his adversaries. Their scowling faces, their hands filled with stones, did not intimidate him. He knew that unseen forces, legions of angels, were round about him, and at one word from his lips they would strike with dismay the throng, should they offer to cast upon him a single stone. He stood before them undaunted. Why did not the stones fly to the mark?--It was because divinity flashed through humanity, and they received a revelation, and were convicted that his were no common claims. Their hands relax and the stones fall to the ground. His words had asserted his divinity, but now his personal presence, the light of his eye, the majesty of his attitude, bore witness to the fact that he was the beloved Son of God.  {ST, November 27, 1893 par. 6}

Had the Pharisees misunderstood his words, he could and would have corrected their wrong impression. He could have told them that he was no blasphemer, although he had called himself the Son of God, and that his words need not necessarily mean that he had invested himself with divine prerogatives, and made himself equal with the Father. But he made no such statement. The impression they had received was the very impression he desired to make. Jesus answered them: "Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the Scripture cannot be broken; say ye of Him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God? If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not. But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works; that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him." Again the hatred and the wrath is stirred within the breast of the Jews, and they sought "to take him; but he escaped out of their hand, and went away again beyond Jordan into the place where John at first baptized; and there he abode. And many resorted unto him, and said, John did no miracle; but all things that John spake of this man were true. And many believed on him there.
                                                                -
  {ST, November 27, 1893 par. 7}

Psalms 82:6  I have said, Ye are gods <0430>; and all of you are children of the most High.

Isaiah 41:23  Shew the things that are to come hereafter, that we may know that ye are gods <0430>: yea, do good, or do evil, that we may be dismayed, and behold it together.

John 10:34  Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods<2316> ?

<0430>‘elohiym el-o-heem’

plural of 0433; n m p; {See TWOT on 93 @@ "93c"}

AV-God 2346, god 244, judge 5, GOD 1, goddess 2, great 2, mighty 2, angels 1, exceeding 1, God-ward + 04136 1, godly 1; 2606

1) (plural)
1a) rulers, judges
1b) divine ones
1c) angels
1d) gods
2) (plural intensive-singular meaning)
2a) god, goddess
2b) godlike one
2c) works or special possessions of God
2d) the (true) God
2e) God

2316 θεος theos theh’-os

of uncertain affinity; a deity, especially (with 3588) the supreme Divinity; TDNT-3:65,322; {See TDNT 305} n m

AV-God 1320, god 13, godly 3, God-ward + 4214 2, misc 5; 1343

1) a god or goddess, a general name of deities or divinities
2) the Godhead, trinity
2a) God the Father, the first person in the trinity
2b) Christ, the second person of the trinity
2c) Holy Spirit, the third person in the trinity
3) spoken of the only and true God
3a) refers to the things of God
3b) his counsels, interests, things due to him
4) whatever can in any respect be likened unto God, or resemble him in any way
4a) God’s representative or viceregent
4a1) of magistrates and judges

God has written in the books of heaven, "Weighed in the balances, and found wanting." Many have given abundant evidence of their selfishness. They have placed themselves as judges, to judge their fellow men. Yet their cruelty and injustice have not been sufficiently discerned to enable those connected with them to see to what a pass we are coming. God is displeased. His anger is kindled against the men who have acted as gods. Like the Jews, they have been loading the cloud of vengeance, which must at last break upon them. Unless they shall now understand that the souls of men are not given into their hand, that they cannot act out their selfish, avaricious covetousness under the plea that it is for the cause of God, there will be no remedy for them.  {17MR 206.1}

Wake up, brethren, wake up, before it is too late for your characters to be changed. "Seek ye the Lord while He may be found, call ye upon Him while He is near: let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and He will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for He will abundantly pardon" [Isaiah 55:6, 7].--Letter 7, 1896.

Ellen G. White Estate Washington, D. C. July 9, 1987. Entire Letter.   {17MR 206.2}