Author Topic: Abide in Me and I in You  (Read 89988 times)

KiwiYvonne

Re: Abide in Me and I in You
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2009, 01:07:21 AM »
Don't know who Mr Peterson is, but his idea about churches misses the mark if he is talking about church members. If he is talking about those who come looking for an answer, then yes, but so many "teachers" today want to excuse sin. In this topic we find Jesus talking about how to be a witness for Him. So many today become Hindus or "new agers" and even atheists because they find so much immorality and hypocrisy in professing Christian churches.

The issue that is most important to understand is that true Christianity takes a sinner and kills him. He becomes a new creature in Christ Jesus. Self is dead, as is symbolized by his baptism. All this is made a lie by many teachers in the churches today. They excuse sin when there is no excuse for sin. The Holy Spirit is calling sinners to repentance when many ministers are telling  them they do not need to cease sinning. :( Very sad indeed.

So, Jesus says "Abide in me and I in you!" Then we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. He will not allow to be tempted beyond what we can bear. We will be good trees that bring forth good fruit. If we sin, we will respond to that still small voice calling us back to Jesus in repentance.

The modern Baylonian churches are feeding their sheep lies that lead to perdition. That is why Jesus says "Babylon is fallen is fallen, come out of her my people."

Amen!! to your post brother Richard. :)

I could not belong to a church that believed that the 10 Commandments are done away with.
That is why I remain a Seventh Day Adventist.  8)

KiwiYvonne

« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2009, 01:51:13 AM »
In the end, both the saved and the lost will have one thing in common: they were all sinners.
The fundamental difference will be that the saved were sinners who wanted out of sin, and Jesus made them whole.  :)
The lost liked sin and refused to accept the cure that Jesus so graciously proffered. :(

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2009, 01:47:26 PM »
In the end, both the saved and the lost will have one thing in common: they were all sinners.
The fundamental difference will be that the saved were sinners who wanted out of sin, and Jesus made them whole.  :)
The lost liked sin and refused to accept the cure that Jesus so graciously proffered. :(

Interesting you point this out. "they were all sinners."  I would go even further. We were just discussing the idea that I can still be a sinner even though I am not sinning. I think of myself a sinner even when abiding in Christ. I just see that as who I am. A great sinner. Now, when I am letting Jesus into my heart and am walking the light of His love, I do not sin. But, it is Christ, not I. There is  nothing good in me unless Jesus is in my heart. I think this gives us the proper perspective of our plight. We need to keep the flesh under subjection. And this we can do if Christ is in the heart. Self must remain dead even though we still live in these vile bodies. This body belongs to me. I live in it. Christ will keep me from being tempted beyond what I can bear if I will abide in Him, in this fallen flesh.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

KiwiYvonne

« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2009, 06:08:57 PM »

Interesting you point this out. "they were all sinners."  I would go even further. We were just discussing the idea that I can still be a sinner even though I am not sinning. I think of myself a sinner even when abiding in Christ. I just see that as who I am. A great sinner. Now, when I am letting Jesus into my heart and am walking the light of His love, I do not sin. But, it is Christ, not I. There is  nothing good in me unless Jesus is in my heart. I think this gives us the proper perspective of our plight. We need to keep the flesh under subjection. And this we can do if Christ is in the heart. Self must remain dead even though we still live in these vile bodies. This body belongs to me. I live in it. Christ will keep me from being tempted beyond what I can bear if I will abide in Him, in this fallen flesh.

Well presented! I agree! We need to remember that ALL have sinned and come short of the glory of God.
Romans 3:23. That includes You and Me and even the President of the General Conference. In spite of our sinfulness,God loves us and wants to give us eternal life. In fact,Christ died for us while we were still sinners.In 1Corinthains 5:21,Jesus became sin for us so that we might become righteous in Him.
John 14:6 says that Jesus is the only way to salvation.
Acts 4:12 says that there is no other name than Jesus by which we may be saved.
1John 5:12 says that we have life as long as we have Jesus.

That is why, in calling sinners to come to Jesus, the word to use is repent. Repentance is a gift of the Holy Spirit. It isn't a status quo word; it's a change word.We don't come to Jesus to stay the way we are but to change. The gospel's first invitation to the lost is always a call to repent.John the Baptist called for repentance.
(see Matthew 3:2), as did Jesus(see Matthew 4:17).
And, of course,Peter on the day of Pentecost said, "Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord."(Acts 3:19). The great revivals in Europe and America in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries were all based on a call to repent.
But the generation of the twenty-first century resents the call for repentance and prefers to be told that Jesus accepts us just the way we are. We can come to Jesus and still keep our love of the world and sinful habits. :(

While we initially come to Jesus just as we are for the simple reason that there is no other way for us to come, Jesus immediately begins to change us.
The promise is," A new heart also will I give you, and  a new spirit will I put within you, and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh." Ezekiel 36:26.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2009, 06:16:49 PM »
Amen!  It has taken a long time, but I think that God is making progress in reaching our darkened minds! :)
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

KiwiYvonne

« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2009, 06:36:54 PM »
Amen!  It has taken a long time, but I think that God is making progress in reaching our darkened minds! :)

Praise to the Lord!

God bless you brother Richard! :)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2009, 09:19:37 AM »
We have all heard this "Only believe and you will be saved!"  Do I believe enough? How can I tell if I am abiding in Christ?

Donna H

« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2010, 07:02:16 PM »
May I suggest: I know that I abide in Christ because I am able to say that I know Him.

He's not an idea, nor a description, nor an elusive question to ponder, though holiness is beyond comprehension. He is real, alive, present, a person who I relate with and know.

"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me" (John 10:27). I am able to recognize Him. He is familiar. He doesn't live on a page. He lives in me. And I can tell the difference between Him and any other. When I draw close to Him, He is unmistakable. "A stranger they simply will not follow, but will flee from him, because they do not know the voice of strangers" (John 10:5).  And when I draw away, I notice, and miss Him.

The relationship becomes tangible.
I prayed for that, and it is the Father's will. AMEN!!!!!!! and glory be to God!!!
It's the most beautiful thing ever.

Donna
Faith is the living power that presses through every barrier, overrides all obstacles, and plants its banner in the heart of the enemy’s camp. 4T 163.3

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2010, 07:12:39 PM »
Hallelujah, dear sister and Amen!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Donna H

« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2010, 07:20:14 PM »
Thank you! I am so blessed... as we all are. There isn't a happy enough smiley to put here  :D
Faith is the living power that presses through every barrier, overrides all obstacles, and plants its banner in the heart of the enemy’s camp. 4T 163.3

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #90 on: August 09, 2010, 08:55:48 PM »
There isn't a happy enough smiley to put here  :D

:)  I really liked that!!   Yes, that is true!  When we know Him, we will indeed love Him! He is our very best friend!  Sad that we at times forget and go off and leave Him behind. But, then we learn to be more careful! :)  We don't like hurting our Best Friend!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2013, 07:59:19 AM »
This is worthy of sharing:

It is not necessary for us deliberately to choose the service of the kingdom of darkness in order to come under its dominion. We have only to neglect to ally ourselves with the kingdom of light. If we do not co-operate with the heavenly agencies, Satan will take possession of the heart, and will make it his abiding place. The only defense against evil is the indwelling of Christ in the heart through faith in His righteousness. Unless we become vitally connected with God, we can never resist the unhallowed effects of self-love self-indulgence, and temptation to sin. We may leave off many bad habits, for the time we may part company with Satan; but without a vital connection with God, through the surrender of ourselves to Him moment by moment, we shall be overcome. Without a personal acquaintance with Christ, and a continual communion, we are at the mercy of the enemy, and shall do his bidding in the end."  -Desire of Ages, p. 324.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2013, 08:34:17 AM »
Amen! Once the truth is seen in its simplicity, the whole foundation of our faith is made clear. Unless we have Jesus, unless He has possession of the heart, unless we are born of His Spirit, unless we are fully surrendered to Him, unless self is dead, unless we are walking in the light we have received, we do not possess salvation, no matter who teaches that we do. The Bible is to be our Guide, and it is perfectly clear on this point. If we have Jesus, we have life, if we do not have Jesus, we do not have life (eternal life). "If any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of His." Romans 8:9.