Author Topic: Abide in Me and I in You  (Read 89982 times)

Claudia Marie

Abide in Me and I in You
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2001, 06:16:00 AM »
Sorry if I may repeat something that someone else has said, I came in late on this topic.

I think that to abide in Jesus and to have a relationship with Him involves a complete surrender of the soul to God. No matter what he or she is shown by the Holy Spirit- no matter how it may go against the natural inclination of the sinful heart- it will be set aside, if God asks them to.

1Jn:3:24: And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

Jn:15:7: If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

Having a relationship with Jesus means to be constant in our faithfulness. To "stay" with Him. He becomes a part of you, instead of just Someone who we are happy died for us. We dont just thank Him for it and go on as before, but we become one with Him in mind and character. 1Jn:2:24: Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father.  

Of course this also involves all the other factors like spending time each day with God, talking to Him, studying the Bible to see what He has said to us. He has to be our Best Friend.

Desire of Ages pg 555,556
"Before Zacchaeus had looked upon the face of Christ, he had begun the work that made him manifest as a true penitent. Before being accused by man, he had confessed his sin. He had yielded to the conviction of the Holy Spirit, and had begun to carry out the teaching of the words written for ancient Israel as well as for ourselves... no sooner did Zacchaeus yield to the influence of the Holy Spirit than he cast aside every practice contrary to integrity.

No repentance is genuine that does not work reformation. The righteousness of Christ is not a cloak to cover unconfessed and unforsaken sin; it is a principle of life that transforms the character and controls the conduct. Holiness is wholeness for God; it is the entire surrender of heart and life to the indwelling of the principles of heaven.

...Those who profess to be followers of Christ, and who deal in an unrighteous manner, are bearing false witness against the character of a holy, just, and merciful God. Every converted soul will, like Zacchaeus, signalize the entrance of Christ into his heart by an abandonment of the unrighteous practices that have marked his life... To Zacchaeus the Saviour said, "This day is salvation come to this house."

...It is when Christ is received as a personal Saviour that salvation comes to the soul. Zacchaeus had received Jesus, not merely as a passing guest in his home, but as One to abide in the soul temple. The scribes and Pharisees accused him as a sinner, they murmured against Christ for becoming his guest, but the Lord recognized him as a son of Abraham. For "they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham." Gal. 3:7."

Notice that Zacchaeus received Jesus as Someone to abide in the soul temple, just not as a "passing guest."

------------------
Claudia

Claudia

Claudia Marie

Abide in Me and I in You
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2001, 06:57:00 AM »
Well I was thinking about this some more. During the day, I noticed that if I havent stayed close to Jesus, then when things arise that tend to irritate me, I let them overcome me instead of me overcoming the temptation to get all upset.

When I think about this, its really because of one thing.... that I didnt make the principles of God's Word a part of me. Jesus talked about "eating His flesh and drinking His blood". That meant that we are to make Him and His Word a part of us. Then it wont be like an "on again, off again" relationship with Jesus. But it will be an abiding one.

We can understand and know and realize the principles of God's Word and assent to this. But if the principles havent become a real part of us, who we are- then just as soon as a trial comes, be it big or small, our natural sinful self will arise. This shows that His Word wasnt abiding in us. Not just to let it "stay" in us at all times, but it had to become a part of us, a part of our thinking, our "way of being", or "who we are" -way in advance.

Thats why I think that in the Bible, John kept saying things like this:

1Jn:3:24: And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

We dont just "do" the commandments... but we "keep" them, the principles of them, inside our hearts at all times. And when temptations arise, we demonstrate if we have His Spirit abiding in us, by how we react to the trials. Its easy to "seem" to have a relationship with Jesus, when things are going well for us... but when things arise to go against the grain, -now thats the real test of what or who CONSISTANTLY abides in us!

Desire of Ages 389,390
"To eat the flesh and drink the blood of Christ is to receive Him as a personal Saviour, believing that He forgives our sins, and that we are complete in Him. It is by beholding His love, by dwelling upon it, by drinking it in, that we are to become partakers of His nature. What food is to the body, Christ must be to the soul. Food cannot benefit us unless we eat it, unless it becomes a part of our being. So Christ is of no value to us if we do not know Him as a personal Saviour. A theoretical knowledge will do us no good. We must feed upon Him, receive Him into the heart, so that His life becomes our life. His love, His grace, must be assimilated.

But even these figures fail to present the privilege of the believer's relation to Christ. Jesus said, "As the living Father hath sent Me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth Me, even he shall live by Me." As the Son of God lived by faith in the Father, so are we to live by faith in Christ. So fully was Jesus surrendered to the will of God that the Father alone appeared in His life. Although tempted in all points like as we are, He stood before the world untainted by the evil that surrounded Him. Thus we also are to overcome as Christ overcame."

------------------
Claudia

Claudia

DavidTBattler

Abide in Me and I in You
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2001, 08:01:00 AM »
Brother Gerry;

It takes faith to admit that we have questions, and to persist in seeking answers for them.

I noticed that in the promise of Ez.11:19-20, there is a collective or corporate aspect, and an individual aspect:

This promise is for us: "I will GIVE THEM one heart, (corporate), and I will put a new spirit WITHIN YOU; (individual)..."

"It is not because of lack of opportunity to know the will and way of God that sinners must perish; but because of their determination to carry out their own will.  They refuse to become spiritually enlightened in the Word of God.  Willingly, they remain ignorant of the privileges of the Christian, and of his duty day by day, to inquire of God.

The Lord desires to give to everyone, a deep, intelligent experience in spiritual life.  (even to an old trucker!  :) ).  But, many are contented with a haphazard experience."

One of the ways we can tell if someone is abiding in the Christ, is found on the same page of "The Upward Look, pg.297: "Let not one stumbling block be laid before those who are seeking to know the will of the Lord.  Do not make public the supposed errors you see in those who profess to believe the Truth."

Am I abiding in Christ?  Which, to me is stonger?  Sin?  Or, grace?  Do the errors in the church seem to be stronger than the grace in the church?  Is this what my "message" puts across to people?

Romans 5:20 is God's answer.

Some of us too, make our answer very obvious, at times.   :)

------------------
"...We believe that through the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, we shall be saved..."  (Acts 15:11).

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

Claudia Marie

Abide in Me and I in You
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2001, 08:36:00 AM »
David,

I'm having trouble understanding what you said to Gerry. What does the errors in the Church have to do with abiding or not abiding in Christ?

Christ seemed to expose the errors of the Pharisees and others constantly.

Sometimes I think we can take statements in the Spirit of Prophecy and try to apply them to every single circumstance.

I just cant see how you could tie that in with "abiding in Christ?"

Where did "that" come from? It almost seems as if you you are implying that we give proof that we are abiding in Christ if we keep quiet and cover up sin in the Church?

There are a multitude of other SOP passages that tell us to not keep silent when we see sin and error in the Church. I think you have to pray about each circumstance involved. Not just have the idea in your mind that if you really abide in Christ that you won't ever speak out against sin.

Here's just one of those quotations:

Selected Messages Book 2, page 152,
Chapter Title: Admonition Will Be Heard
Does anyone suppose that the messages of warning will not come to those whom God reproves? The ones reproved may rise up in indignation and seek to bring the law to bear upon God's messenger, but in doing this, they are not bringing the law upon the messenger, but upon Christ, who gave the reproof and the warning. When men endanger the work and cause of God by their own wrong course of action, shall they hear no voice of reproof? If the wrongdoer only were concerned, and the work reached no farther than him, he alone should have the words of warning; but when his course of action is doing positive harm to the cause of truth, and souls are imperiled, God requires that the warning be as broad as the injury done. The testimonies will not be hindered. The words of rebuke and warning, the plain "Thus saith the Lord," will come from God's appointed agencies; for the words do not originate with the human instrument; they are from God, who appointed them their work. If a suit is instituted in earthly tribunals, and God suffers it to come to trial, it is that His own name may be glorified. But a woe will be upon the man who gives himself to do this work. God reads the motives, whatever they may be. I pray that the Lord will teach our brethren to be straightforward, and make no compromise in the matter. The cause of God has been bruised and wounded by any such men connecting with it, and the sooner they are separated from it, the better. . . ."

Claudia

[This message has been edited by Claudia Marie (edited 04-21-2001).]

Claudia

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Abide in Me and I in You
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2001, 09:01:00 AM »
Sister Claudia Marie, happy Sabbath!   :)  I appreciate your posts on "abiding in Christ". It is not difficult to understand if we only had our Bibles written in old English, but when we have the Spirit of Prophecy, we truly are without excuse for not understanding the gospel.

Please read the threads on Romans, Justification by Faith, and the Latter Rain. Your comments would be greatly appreciated.   :)

Richard

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Claudia Marie

Abide in Me and I in You
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2001, 09:02:00 AM »
Hi there Richard   :)

Okay, I will read the topics you mentioned.

Amen to what you said, with both the Bible and Spirit of Prophecy in our hands, we ought to be able to understand things better than we do.

Happy Sabbath to you too!

------------------
Claudia

Claudia

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Abide in Me and I in You
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2001, 09:09:00 AM »
Sister Claudia Marie, in reading your last post, you might be interested in the topic "Watchmen" in this forum. Also, there is a thread on "The Third Angel's Message" that you might appreciate.  :)

Richard

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

DavidTBattler

Abide in Me and I in You
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2001, 09:49:00 PM »
Hi Claudia

Good questions.  I just hapened to have read the threads brother Richard has referred you to above, and so the topic was fresh in my mind.

The main point I think that should be clear from my above post is that we are not abiding in Christ, when there is an inordinate focus on something other than Christ.  Errors of other church members is only one of many possible examples of this.

Please don't say things that I did not say or intimate.  Where did I say anything about covering up sins anywhere?  I simply asked: "What is stronger to you?  The sins, or the grace?"

In regards to your comments about reproofs, we must remember to keep it properly balanced:

According to Ez.3:4-10, we are to sound a warning.  Who could deny this?  The servant of the Lord also offers this caution:

3T 269-70  "Not all are fitted to correct the erring.  They have not wisdom to deal justly, while loving mercy.  They are not inclined to see the necessity of mingling love and tender compassion, with FAITHFUL reproofs.

Some are ever needlessly severe, and do not feel that the apostle's injunction is needed."  Jude 16-21:

"16  These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men’s persons in admiration because of advantage.
17  But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ;
18  How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts.
19  These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit.
20  But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
21  Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life."

4T.063.002
     As far as possible, you should come into harmony with your brethren and sisters. You should surrender yourselves to God and cease to manifest sternness and a disposition to find fault. You should yield your own spirit and take in its place the spirit of the dear Saviour. Reach up and grasp His hand, that the touch may electrify you and charge you with the sweet properties of His own matchless character. You may open your hearts to His love, and let His power transform you and His grace be your strength. Then will you have a powerful influence for good. Your moral strength will be equal to the closest test of character. Your integrity will be pure and sanctified. Then will your light break forth as the morning.”

I will save other comments about this subject for the appropriate thread.  Sorry for getting off topic here.   :)

------------------
"...We believe that through the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, we shall be saved..."  (Acts 15:11).

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Abide in Me and I in You
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2001, 05:59:00 AM »
I think that the discussion is appropriate to the topic. If we are abiding in Christ, we shall want to follow His ways. We must be learning what those ways are. We must be gentle with one another as we seek to know Him and His ways. Yes, some are  not gentle in the reproofs when there is no need to be forceful. Many are sincere and need to be shown courtesy and love as they are corrected.  :)

Richard

DavidTBattler

Abide in Me and I in You
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2001, 07:28:00 AM »
Amen Richard!

------------------

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

Claudia Marie

Abide in Me and I in You
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2001, 09:27:00 AM »
Well, now I agree that what David said was on topic, if its just that anything that has to do with following Christ's ways, is to abide in Christ... But, I was thinking of things this way, when I read what David B. said:

It sounded as if he was saying that if someone was exposing or correcting sins in the Church, that this automatically meant they weren't "abiding in Christ". And to me it seemed like he was saying that if we saw someone doing that, we could automatically assume they were not "in Christ". I was viewing it more from the idea of not being within our capabilities (or our rights, even) to judge someone else as not abiding in Christ if they were exposing error in the Church. I was thinking along the lines of how many think that places such as Hope International, etc. were not "in Christ" because they expose sin.

I completely agree that when you correct someone in error, that you should be gentle. Well, not always... there are places where Sister White talks about "giving sharp reproof". I think that we have to study out the entire situation and pray a lot about it before doing anything. You're also supposed to make sure you aren't separated from God yourself, before venturing to correct someone else.

I also agree that if we abide in Christ, we should follow His ways. However, in my opinion, we can't really decide when we see someone whom we think isnt handling things correctly, -to be "not abiding in Christ". The reason I believe this is because God alone can judge someone's motivation. And again, in my opinion, that's the main thing God judges us by, is the heart.

You think of Peter, and "the sons of thunder", for instance. Ellen White talked about them being impulsive and quick to speak, sometimes harsh in their mannerisms. But I dont know if we could view them as not "abiding in Christ".

Gee now Im getting myself confused **chuckle**... are we talking about abiding in Christ, as the idea of being in a saved condition, or are we talking about it in another sense?

I tend to go by the idea of "not living in KNOWN sin". And what Im saying is that I dont think we can judge by how another might correct someone else - as a reason to think or not think they were abiding in Christ.

Even James White was too harsh at times, as Sister White wrote about, but we cant hardly say he wasnt abiding in Christ, can we? This I think, is because sometimes things are said and done, not with malicious intent but just because consideration was not given beforehand... maybe the person was actually full of love for others and had a very sincere intent of the heart and really thought they were doing the right thing?

“But while God can be just, and yet justify the sinner through the merits of Christ, no man can cover his soul with the garments of Christ’s righteousness while practicing KNOWN SINS, or neglecting KNOWN DUTIES. God requires the entire surrender of the heart before justification can take place.” Selected Messages, book 1, page 366

and see, what may be "known" to us, may not be "known" to another, or realized by another. So therefore, its my opinion that whenever you start bringing up "specific" ways to act like or not act like Jesus, and then say that someone is or isnt abiding in Christ because of it, -I just think we cant know that about someone else. All you can really say in that direction is that they have to be "keeping the commandments" or loving their God and their neighbor, as John said when he talked in the Bible about abiding in Christ. And they might in their hearts be doing that, keeping the commandments, loving their neighbor, -to the best of their knowledge, while still whopping someone over the head with too harsh of reproof.

Did any of that make any sense to anyone else but me?       :)

------------------
Claudia

Claudia

M.A. Crawford

• http://
Abide in Me and I in You
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2001, 07:44:00 AM »
"Does any of that make any sense to anyone else but me?"

It certainly does make sense to me, and I sincerely hope you will not let anyone change your Christ-centered conclusions you offered in your post. Permit me to mention just a few of your comments with which I  quite emphatically agree:

1. "I also agree that if we abide in Christ, we should follow His ways."

In that statement I believe you have summed up in simple language what some scholars and theologians have attempted to make quite complex. In line with what you stated, I do not believe it is possible to abide in Christ and not follow after His Living Example He left for us while here on this earth. With me, to believe otherwise just simply does not compute.

2. In regard to reproving others, you wrote: "I think that we have to study out the entire situation and pray a lot about it before doing anything."

If more of us would follow that very sound advice, we would find ourselves more in line with God's Will in regard to the day to day decisions we make that affect our salvation. The key words here are: "in line with God's Will." WHATEVER WE DO in this life where our soul salvation is concerned should be predicated upon the fact that, prior to making a decision, we have entered into serious and humble prayer about the situation. I have found a good rule of thumb for me in a given situation before proceeding is to ask the question: "What would Jesus do in this particular situation?" In order to successfully answer that question we have to KNOW THE MAN! And we cannot hope to know Jesus Christ unless we CONSTANTLY spend quality time in our Bibles and on our knees in prayer.

3. "...I don't think we can judge by how another might correct someone else - as a reason to think or not think they are abiding in Christ."

To echo what you said, first of all, I don't believe God has appointed any of us to do that anyway. The Bible says: "Judge not, that ye be not judged" (Matt. 7:1). To my knowledge, God has not appointed any of us to do His judging for Him. Jesus says: "And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, let me pull out the mote in thine own eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam OUT OF THINE OWN EYE; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye" (Matt. 7:3-5, emphasis mine). What I glean from this is the Bible is telling me that I DON'T HAVE TIME to try to get the "speck of dust" out of my brother's/sister's eye when I need to get the "two by four" that is hanging out of my own eye!

4. I especially like what you said about loving my neighbor. Unfortunately, there is TOO LITTLE LOVE demonstrated in many of our churches and in the EVERYDAY LIVES of those of us who profess to be followers of Christ. But I am reminded of the words of a song which remind us that: "It only TAKES A SPARK to get a fire going!"

Keep on doing what you are doing, and don't let anyone change you. Here in these last days, God is counting on "sparks" like you and others to "jump start" our various congregations that are sorely in need of a breath of fresh air of His Love.

M.A.          

M.A.

Claudia Marie

Abide in Me and I in You
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2001, 03:00:00 AM »
M.A.

Thanks so much for your message. It feels so good to be understood, and it seems as if you and I are on the same "wavelength".

By the way, I started to read your thread on "watchmen" the other day. I still have to go back and read a lot of it. It seems really interesting, one of those things that I would like to copy and paste and put on my computer notepad to read over and over in the future. Im trying to do so many different things these days though, and it's hard to keep up, but I plan on reading through a lot of the threads on this forum. It will be nice when I can catch threads just as they are beginning, and then keep up with them.

Anyway, it's nice to meet you, and thanks again for your understanding post.

------------------
Claudia

Claudia

M.A. Crawford

Abide in Me and I in You
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2001, 06:57:00 AM »
Thank you for your kind response. From what I can gather from reading your post, I too believe that we are on the same "wavelength."

Let us pray for each other because the enemy is very busy here in these last days as he goes about seeking whom he may devour because he knows he has but a short time. As a result, always remain on your spiritual guard against anyone or anything that attempts to "show you a better way" that differs from what the Bible says. The devil is very cunning and we must ALWAYS keep our spiritual guard up. Anything that is not based upon the unwatered down Word of God as it reads is not worthy of our attention because it has ABSOLUTELY no redeeming value.

May God continue to bless you and your family. Because "His Eye is on the sparrow," we can rest assured that He watches over, cares for, and loves us very much.

M.A.  

M.A.

L.Picard

Abide in Me and I in You
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2001, 12:12:00 PM »
I just noticed this thread and I quickly glanced at the posts and if I am not mistaken, there was nothing said about the fact that Christ gives Himself to us through His spoken Words and commands. Please allow me to elaborate a little on this subject that is so necessary to our present and eternal welfare:

PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ THE FOLLOWING. I realize it is a bit long but I believe you will not be disappointed: Please TRY IT!

Christ imparts Himself to us through His spoken Word. His commandment, "Abide in Me and I in you," if it is allowed to have free course in us, is the impartation of His Spirit, ensuring that we abide in Him and He in us! His command is the impartation of His life, for "His commandment is life everlasting." John 12:50.

"The Words--commands--that I speak unto you," Jesus said, "they are Spirit and they are life." John 6:63,68. In other words, the creative energy that called the worlds into existence is in His Word. EVERY COMMAND IS A PROMISE. That Word imparts power, it begets life. Accepted by the will, received into the soul, it brings with it the very life of the Infinite One! See Prov.4:20-22.

The Psalmist understood this when he exclaimed: "Unless Your law had been my delight, I would then have perished in my affliction. I will never forget Your commandments for by them you have given me life." Ps.119:93,50.

In the beginning Christ said, "Let there be light! And there was light." Gen.1:3. There was nothing to oppose that Word. It had free course and it worked effectually to cause light to appear, at once!

The Holy Spirit, through the apostle Peter says, "This is the Word which by the gospel is preached unto you." 1 Peter 1:25.

The Word of the Gospel is: "Let the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ shine in the darkened void of your heart." 2 Cor.4:6; 1 Peter 2:9; 2 Peter 1:19; Acts 26:18; Eph.5:8.

And the Holy Spirit, the light of His glory, the Light of His life, shine in us, at once, if we do not resist His will, as it is expressed in His commandment, for "He speaks and it is done. He commands and it stands fast." Ps.33:9. Only the heart of man can make God's Word of none effect, through unbelief! Therefore, it is written, "Beware lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief." Heb.3:12.

Is not His Word the same yesterday, today, and forever? He speaks His commandments to us that His joy may be imparted to us and that our joy may be full. John 15:11. "I found Your Words and I ate them and they were the rejoicing of my heart." Jer.15:16; Ps.119:111.

"Oh that you had hearkened unto My commandments: then your peace would have been as a river and your righteousness as the waves of the sea." Isaiah 48:18. "Abide in Me and I in you." "Abide in My love." "Go and bear much fruit." "Grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." John 15:4,9,16; 2 Peter 3:18.

And how is this to be accomplished? By choosing to let the Word have free course in us, allowing His Word to "effectually work in us," because it is self-fulfilling. 1 Thess.2:13. Such is the Word of God! "When you receive the Word which you heard from us, you received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth the Word of God which effectually works in you that believe." 1 Thess.2:13.

His power, His very life, dwells in His Word. Receive the Word in faith and it will give you power to obey!

"Abide in Me and I in you." We abide in Him and He abides in us according to the commandment, if we believe, that is, if we do not interpose His Word with unbelief. Heb.3:12. "Today, if you will hear His voice, do not harden your heart." Heb.3:7, 18,19; 4:1-3.

It is the same with all His commandments. They are "exceeding great and precious promises" by which Christ Jesus imparts His Spirit to us. 2 Peter 1:4. And His Spirit is life, even life everlasting, fulfilling every jot and tittle of what that Word says!

Therefore, let us exalt God alone and His Word, saying: Lord, "Thy commandments are my delights." "Your commandments are the rejoicing of my heart." "I love them exceedingly." "I opened my mouth and panted; for I long for Your commandments." Ps.119:143,111,167,131.

He says, "Be converted." "The commandment of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul." Ps.19:7. The commandments of the Lord are "more to be desired than gold, yea than much fine gold; sweeter also than honey, and the honeycomb." Ps.19:7-10.

The Lord says, "Repent," and the word produces repentance in the believing heart, repentance which is not to be repented of, which is according to the will of God!

Therefore, the reception of the Word (not merely written but spoken), the bread that comes down from Heaven, is the reception of Christ Himself. And "The Lord is that Spirit." 2 Cor.3:17.

"My Word shall accomplish that which I please and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it." Isaiah 55:11. Let it be done unto us according to all Thy commandments O Lord!

The human agent is to be kept out of sight and God alone and His Word are to be exalted! Praise His Word! Ps.56:4,10.

His will is: "Love God supremely and your neighbour impartially." John 15:9.

And the Word diffuses the love of God through the whole being if we do not interpose the Word with unbelief. And this love is a vitalizing power. Every vital part, the heart, the brain, the nerves, it touches with healing. It frees the soul from the guilt and sorrow, the anxiety and care that crush the life forces. By it the highest energies of the being are roused into activity. With it come serenity and composure. It implants in the soul a joy that nothing earthly can destroy, joy in the Holy Spirit, health-giving, life-giving joy!

"His commandments are life to all who find them and health to all their flesh." Prov.4:20-22.

[This message has been edited by L.Picard (edited 04-24-2001).]

L.Picard

Allan F

Abide in Me and I in You
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2001, 01:46:00 AM »
Thank you, brother Picard for reminding us about the power of Gods Word. Particularly I appreciated this statement:

"Therefore, the reception of the Word (not merely written but spoken), the bread that comes down from Heaven, is the reception of Christ Himself."

(Jn 1:1-3) "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him" (also his written Word). Jesus is the central theme of the Word. To receive the word is to receive Jesus. If we love Jesus we will also love all of his Word. But, if we do not beleive all of the Word, we are at the same time saying that we don't fully beleive Jesus, the true Word. This is serious.

"Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words. The words that ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me. ...and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him and make our abode with him... " (Jn 14:23,24)

Wonderful promises...   :)

Allan F

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Abide in Me and I in You
« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2008, 12:08:09 PM »
Amen!

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on Me hath everlasting life." Through the beloved John, who listened to these words, the Holy Spirit declared to the churches, "This is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He that hath the Son hath life." 1 John 5:11, 12. And Jesus said, "I will raise him up at the last day." Christ became one flesh with us, in order that we might become one spirit with Him. It is by virtue of this union that we are to come forth from the grave,--not merely as a manifestation of the power of Christ, but because, through faith, His life has become ours. Those who see Christ in His true character, and receive Him into the heart, have everlasting life. It is through the Spirit that Christ dwells in us; and the Spirit of God, received into the heart by faith, is the beginning of the life eternal. 

The people had referred Christ to the manna which their fathers ate in the wilderness, as if the furnishing of that food was a greater miracle than Jesus had performed; but He shows how meager was that gift when compared with the blessings He had come to bestow. The manna could sustain only this earthly existence; it did not prevent the approach of death, nor insure immortality; but the bread of heaven would nourish the soul unto everlasting life. The Saviour said, "I am that bread of life. Your fathers did eat manna in the wilderness, and are dead. This is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die. I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live forever." To this figure Christ now adds another. Only through dying could He impart life to men, and in the words that follow He points to His death as the means of salvation. He says, "The bread that I will give is My flesh, which I will give for the life of the world." 

"Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God."

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2008, 01:16:08 PM »
Only through dying could He impart life to men, and in the words that follow He points to His death as the means of salvation. He says, "The bread that I will give is My flesh, which I will give for the life of the world."

Amen! As it is also with His ascending, leaving, that He could send the Comforter to bind all men unto Him. Spiritual laminin. 
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

KiwiYvonne

« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2009, 12:59:40 AM »
probably off topic but thought this was interesting...
Churches...
Untidy living rooms.
"The churches of the Revelation show us that churches are not Victorian parlours where everything is picked up and ready for guests. They are messy family rooms.Entering a person's house unexpectedly, we are sometimes met with a barrage of apologies. St.John does not apologize. Things are out of order to be sure, but that is what happens to churches that are lived in. They are not show rooms. They are living rooms, and if the persons living in them are sinners, there are going to be clothes scattered about, hand prints on the woodwork, and mud on the carpet. For as long as Jesus insists on calling sinners and not the righteous to repentance--and there is no indication as yet that he has changed his policy in that regard--churches are going to be an embarrassment to the fastidious and an affront to the upright." Eugene H. Peterson.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2009, 08:27:49 PM »
Don't know who Mr Peterson is, but his idea about churches misses the mark if he is talking about church members. If he is talking about those who come looking for an answer, then yes, but so many "teachers" today want to excuse sin. In this topic we find Jesus talking about how to be a witness for Him. So many today become Hindus or "new agers" and even atheists because they find so much immorality and hypocrisy in professing Christian churches.

The issue that is most important to understand is that true Christianity takes a sinner and kills him. He becomes a new creature in Christ Jesus. Self is dead, as is symbolized by his baptism. All this is made a lie by many teachers in the churches today. They excuse sin when there is no excuse for sin. The Holy Spirit is calling sinners to repentance when many ministers are telling  them they do not need to cease sinning. :( Very sad indeed.

So, Jesus says "Abide in me and I in you!" Then we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. He will not allow to be tempted beyond what we can bear. We will be good trees that bring forth good fruit. If we sin, we will respond to that still small voice calling us back to Jesus in repentance.

The modern Baylonian churches are feeding their sheep lies that lead to perdition. That is why Jesus says "Babylon is fallen is fallen, come out of her my people."