Author Topic: Wildlife Outside My Window  (Read 69840 times)

colporteur

Re: Wildlife Outside My Window
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2009, 06:49:12 AM »

These are amazing birds. Sad to say I used to hunt them with intensity. They were imported from China many years ago. They can run far faster than a human. They are excellent flyers and will tell you a day in advance when a storm is coming. The rooster has a loud unique cackle when flushed and a neat call when roaming around. When a storm is coming the roosters will do a lot of calling in advance. Sometimes they will sit so tight in cover that you can almost step on them without them flying but they prefer to run far ahead of danger and get out of the way. As your beautiful picture shows, Sybil, they are as pretty as a peacock, more so IMHO. They are affectionately called "ringnecks" because of the white ring on their necks. The wild turkey is considered the smartest North American bird but I'm not so sure. When the ringneck pheasant is pursed down a corn row with another hunter stationed at the end of the row, he will often run ahead cross over a couple of rows and run right back past the hunter without being noticed. They can withstand powerful winter storms and -30 degree temps if they have enough food. Like most wild creatures they are in tip top physical condition and can run fast for long distances despite their short legs. They are very versatile and will roost in trees or more often bed down in thick grass. A magnificent creature of God.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2009, 06:52:36 AM »
Aren't they beautiful? I was so shocked to see them and wasn't even sure of what I was seeing because they are so rare around here. I snagged that photo from the web. They were too far away for a good closeup.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Sister Dee

« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2009, 09:18:50 AM »
Oh, my!  Five of them?  What a blessing! 

Lately, we've seen a few down this way, too, while out driving.  The kids always seem to miss them, so I was glad to show them your picture, Sybil!   :)

Richard Sherwin

• Keeper of Bees
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2009, 06:31:12 PM »
One of our bee yards is on land that is set aside as pheasant habitat. They are letting the old farm field grow wild. Perfect for pheasants....and bees.

Speaking of turkeys. One of my guys called me Friday. Told me there is a big dent on the front of the truck hood. He had hit a turkey in flight. I asked him if he had taken it home for dinner and he said no, it had kept on flying. Now that was one tough bird, with a sore rear end.

I'd nominate the crow as the smartest bird, as least in these parts.
Laughter is an instant vacation

colporteur

« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2009, 07:23:58 PM »

One of our bee yards is on land that is set aside as pheasant habitat. They are letting the old farm field grow wild. Perfect for pheasants....and bees.

Speaking of turkeys. One of my guys called me Friday. Told me there is a big dent on the front of the truck hood. He had hit a turkey in flight. I asked him if he had taken it home for dinner and he said no, it had kept on flying. Now that was one tough bird, with a sore rear end.

I'd nominate the crow as the smartest bird, as least in these parts.

One week spot with a crow is when they get near an owl their emotions over rule their brain. They get so upset and distracted while antagonizing the owl. I used to hunt crows a little bit too.  

**edited to fix quote box
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2009, 09:22:37 AM »

This morning five of these beauties were walking out in my field. Never before have I seen them here so it was such a pleasant surprise.

Last week I went to my carpenter neighbor's house to get precise square cuts on a project and we were talking. (He's the one with the goats - he also drops out of helicopters in Alaska for 30 days at a time just to test his endurance.) I told him of the beautiful pheasants walking in the field and he said, "So that's where they are!" He bought 15 of them and occasionally lets them roam. He wants to see if they will reproduce in the wild, introducing them to the high mountains. Evidently these are cage-raised birds. He wants to free them if at all possible.  

Sister Dee

« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2009, 04:56:49 PM »
So pheasants aren't normally found in these parts?  Perhaps the ones I saw were someone's "pets". 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2009, 09:44:17 PM »
I believe they are not plentiful at this elevation. I know they are in the eastern part of the state because one went through our windshield some years ago.

Larry Lyons

« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2009, 09:53:18 PM »
I believe they are not plentiful at this elevation. I know they are in the eastern part of the state because one went through our windshield some years ago.
Sybil, I didn't think anything was plentiful at that elevation except wind and snow.  ;D

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2009, 10:07:23 PM »
I'd have to agree with you. Those are the only two things that are, indeed, plentiful!

Larry Lyons

« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2009, 12:49:41 PM »
I'd have to agree with you. Those are the only two things that are, indeed, plentiful!
But you can certainly say, "Im sittin' on top of the world!"

Richard Sherwin

• Keeper of Bees
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2009, 04:17:15 PM »
I agree that pheasants are beautiful but the idea of bringing anything in that is not native concerns me. So many times we have unintended consequences with them. (Think of the problems with pythons in Florida, European Starlings or Autumn Olive) Of course me saying that makes me a hypocrite since honey bees are not native nor are one of their best forage plant, the spotted knapweed. 
Laughter is an instant vacation

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2009, 01:38:12 PM »
When I look outside my window I see so many plants that are not native. Where would we be without all of the plants we have introduced into our habitat?  There are those who get upset, but then they don't want us to have electricity either and are going to tax our gas and energy supply. :(

One of my favorite trees is the orange tree. Not sure where it came from, but it is not by any means native. Are there some problems because of the importation of some wildlife or plants? Yes, some want to bring in the Grizzly, the wolf, and the spotted owl!!  And I recall a park service ranger who was protecting the rattle snake!

If it ever comes to getting rid of those not native, I guess most all of us will have to leave where we are living!  

Back on topic!  We have planted a large area to flowers in our front yard. The Hummingbirds are quite happy. I have one little friend, Pookey. He comes and will sit on the flowers and visit. Today, he came for a visit and let me give him a shower!  He was a very happy little Hummingbird!! It is very neat when they come right up to your face and stop in mid-air and look you right in the eye!! Not sure why they do this. It does not happen very often, but it is quite an experience. There is something about the little guys that is captivating. I think it may be that they can stop in mid-flight and check things out. All other birds just keep going!!  :)  But, Pookey can zip up and then he can leave just as fast as he came!!  

And, do they ever have a long tongue!!!  Am I on topic?   Is a tame Hummingbird considered "wildlife"?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2009, 01:52:10 PM »
 :D :D Oh, yes, Brother Richard! Even tame ones are considered wildlife. How I love the little hummingbirds. What is wonderful is to see them at the flowers getting the best of God's food instead of the millions of hummingbird feeders drinking white sugar water with artificial coloring. God bless those little hummers! And stopping in midflight to look you in the eyes? Oh! What a wonderful blessing!

Vicki

« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2009, 08:59:39 PM »
We have seagulls that come by to check us out. A kite really had them curious this spring, but since then son has learned to immitate their cry and every now & then one comes near and hovers shakily to check out who's making that sound.  :) I prefer hummingbirds, but we don't grow flowers for them so they are scarce.

(Speaking of non-native plants....tumbleweeds are plentious here and I hear they came from Russia. The only thing growing in our yard that is native is one huge sage that I think finally died. I'm even a transplant. :D Last winter we visited a museum that had a live snake exhibit. The keeper said rattlesnakes are good at cleaning out pack rats & mice - they wipe out a whole nest at a time, and don't attack unless provoked. I stepped 6" from one last summer and didn't get bit. I was more shaken up than the rattlers tail, though!! :D)

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2009, 04:40:37 PM »
Anyone have any thoughts on how to chase away the racoon that terroizes my bird feeders every night?  I try to make sure there is as little seed in them as possible in the evening--but I can't tell the birds how much to eat.  The beast bends the poles over, eats the sunflower seeds, and steals the suet (which I now put in the shed overnight).  My daughter thinks it's cute.  ::)  She doesn't pay for the bird seed.  ;D
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2009, 05:08:30 PM »
Last night while deer hunting, I ran across your friends, Wally. The whole family, four. They were headed for my garden!!  Maybe I have put too much on the deer!  I watered yesterday, and on inspection this morning, I found that our furry black bandits had left their tracks in my garden!!!  I guess maybe they are the ones who ate my tomatoes, but I know for sure that the deer ate my tomato plants!! So, I continue my nightly deer hunts. I guess I am off topic. I will continue the saga in the "deer" topic. :(

I always like Rocky and friends, but now they are on my target list. Four of them!!! They must not like watermelon, they passed them by.  :)
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2009, 06:03:16 PM »
Anyone have any thoughts on how to chase away the racoon that terroizes my bird feeders every night?  I try to make sure there is as little seed in them as possible in the evening--but I can't tell the birds how much to eat.  The beast bends the poles over, eats the sunflower seeds, and steals the suet (which I now put in the shed overnight).  My daughter thinks it's cute.  ::)  She doesn't pay for the bird seed.  ;D

I have a fail-safe solution.

Quit feeding the birds.  :P

Dear Richard, it is time to bring out the buck shot!  :(

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2009, 03:13:51 AM »
Anyone have any thoughts on how to chase away the racoon that terroizes my bird feeders every night?  I try to make sure there is as little seed in them as possible in the evening--but I can't tell the birds how much to eat.  The beast bends the poles over, eats the sunflower seeds, and steals the suet (which I now put in the shed overnight).  My daughter thinks it's cute.  ::)  She doesn't pay for the bird seed.  ;D

I have a fail-safe solution.

Quit feeding the birds.  :P

Thanks a lot!  ::)  That wasn't the answer I was looking for.  ;D
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2009, 03:17:18 AM »
Last night while deer hunting, I ran across your friends, Wally. The whole family, four. They were headed for my garden!!  Maybe I have put too much on the deer!  I watered yesterday, and on inspection this morning, I found that our furry black bandits had left their tracks in my garden!!!  I guess maybe they are the ones who ate my tomatoes, but I know for sure that the deer ate my tomato plants!! So, I continue my nightly deer hunts. I guess I am off topic. I will continue the saga in the "deer" topic. :(

I always like Rocky and friends, but now they are on my target list. Four of them!!! They must not like watermelon, they passed them by.  :)

I  have found only one solution to keep deer and coons out of my vegetable garden:  a very high electric fence with wires near the ground spaced close together.  Haven't lost any corn to coons since putting that fence in.