Author Topic: Wildlife Outside My Window  (Read 50462 times)

Sister Dee

Re: Wildlife Outside My Window
« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2009, 10:31:36 AM »
Anyone have any thoughts on how to chase away the racoon that terroizes my bird feeders every night?  I try to make sure there is as little seed in them as possible in the evening--but I can't tell the birds how much to eat.  The beast bends the poles over, eats the sunflower seeds, and steals the suet (which I now put in the shed overnight).  My daughter thinks it's cute.  ::)  She doesn't pay for the bird seed.  ;D

I have a fail-safe solution.

Quit feeding the birds.  :P

Thanks a lot!  ::)  That wasn't the answer I was looking for.  ;D

Perhaps you need to look into bulk pricing for your seed then!   ;) :D 

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2009, 06:02:21 AM »
Not quite outside my window, but on the way to work this morning I saw a bull moose standing in a lake, not far offshore.  He was an odd one.  His antlers were not large, and the right one looked fairly normal; but the left one curved down along the side of his head, and looked somewhat like an upside down bison horn.  Anyone ever seen a moose like that with deformed antlers?  I'm guessing that it might be hard for him to acquire a mate, since he won't be able to compete favorably with the other bulls.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #102 on: October 02, 2009, 11:53:18 AM »
Got up in the middle of the night and through my window Isaw a buck in my backyard eating my Hibiscus! Then about two hours later when the deer alarm went off for the front yard, I bounded out of bed to find Rocky staring at me from behind a lawn chair. And his coon family was making a noise in the backyard with some plastic buckets. Maybe this winter things will calm down and I can get some real sleep?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #103 on: November 13, 2009, 01:58:29 PM »
This isn't quite wildlife, per se, but it was out our window this evening about 4:30 local time.  The sun had set about 15 minutes before, and we were treated to about 10 minutes of spectacular color.

So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #104 on: November 13, 2009, 02:07:15 PM »
Here's another one.  I'll have to thank my professional photographer acquaintance who told me I needed to set the ISO higher in low light conditions.  Without his advice I wouldn't have gotten these pictures.  I wish I had known that when I was down in Carlsbad Caverns.  ::)

colporteur

« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2009, 03:27:46 PM »
That is incredible ! Wally. I've never seen better. Thanks for the Sabbath delight!

Now all you have to do to improve is to get a coyote howling in the picture.  ;D
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2009, 04:33:19 PM »
Stunning! Thank you for sharing that one! Aren't the colors of the rainbow in the same order as the top photograph?
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2009, 05:35:18 PM »
Stunning! Thank you for sharing that one! Aren't the colors of the rainbow in the same order as the top photograph?

I had to look at a picture of a rainbow to be sure, but in a rainbow it goes from red on the top to yellow and blue and then purple on the bottom.  Technically it's "ROY G. BIV. R=red, O=orange, Y=yellow, G=green, B=blue, I = indigo, and V=violet. Red is at the top edge of the rainbow and violet is at the bottom edge, with the other colors in between." 

No matter the order, both are beautiful.

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2009, 07:00:06 PM »
Wow... that is incredible! The Lord put on a show for those He loves. :)
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Kelsy

• Member at Rest
« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2009, 02:55:31 PM »
Those pics are beautiful.

I should have posted this several months ago.

It was a Sabbath morning, very hot and sunny. As I looked out our back window there was a swarm of flying insects, going from one Laurel Cherry tree at one time and then the whole swarm would fly over to the other tree. They were only in my yard and did not even go to the neighbors on both sides of us. It looked like they were forming a figure 8 sideways...I could not tell what they were...I thought maybe locust, dragon flys or something. Went outside and stood underneath them as they flew all around me, no buzzing noise, but i could not make out what type of insect they were. There were so many you could see the outline of an 8. So i got a pool net and tried to capture them, it was like dipping into the water pulling out the leaves etc. only in the air. To my surprise they were wasps. I had no idea they flew like that with their legs straight back from their wings...I had only seen them fly with their legs dangling down. I am fearfully allergic to bee stings, had I known I would never have been out there. After awhile they flew out over the field behind the house, they never landed on the trees, just circling between the two trees. They did not seem to mind that I was "fishing" for them, no hostility.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #110 on: November 14, 2009, 03:48:57 PM »
Isn't that fascinating, Kelsy?

Sister Dee

« Reply #111 on: November 14, 2009, 07:51:37 PM »
Those pictures are just gorgeous, Wally!  I just had to share these with the family members that were within shouting distance.  ;D  Oh, to actually see a sunset like this in person!  All day I've been pondering creation and shaking my head at those who doubt or deny the existence of a loving God. 

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #112 on: November 15, 2009, 03:20:11 AM »
The most spectacular sunset I ever saw was when I was at Rio Lindo Academy back in the 60's.  Nearly the entire sky was red--and me without a camera.  :(

Vicki

« Reply #113 on: November 16, 2009, 04:16:54 PM »
Spectacular! I had to assure 8yo son that you did not paint them.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #114 on: November 16, 2009, 05:02:02 PM »
 ;D ;D  That would be the day.  My best efforts would yield sticks with a blotch of color, something one might expect from a 5 year old (although I think my daughter could have done better than that at 5).  ::)

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2010, 03:53:08 PM »
I hope you will forgive me for the annual moose picture.  After looking at the schedule we elected to escape to the mountains today, rather than go to campmeeting.  We had a peaceful lunch, all by ourselves, in a nice picnic area in a spruce grove.  The highlight was a Boreal Chickadee, a bird which is often hard to find, and is not so vocal as his southern cousins.  In the course of our travels we encountered 3 moose in a remote region near the New Hampshire State line.  The one below stood and stared at us, and then started advancing toward us.  She may have walked right up to the car, but just after this photo was snapped, a couple of loud motorcycles went by and spooked her.  Since I was driving, my son took this picture.  He's starting to take a liking to my camera.  I'd better watch him.  ;D

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2010, 08:08:35 PM »
And I love your annual moose photos! They remind me of the times Mother spent in Canada and all of her moose tales, including one when a moose actually jumped into the back of their truck! Keep them coming, dear brother!

Sister Dee

« Reply #117 on: August 23, 2010, 11:16:11 AM »
All summer we've had the "privilege" of watching a roadrunner(s?) scoot past our window with lizards hanging from its mouth.   :P  We used to see lots of lizards around outside, but not for a few years now.  I had heard that a roadrunner will also go after hummingbirds.  I have seen one watching the feeder from the ground outside our window.  How he expects to get one is beyond me! 

Last week the kids and I were loading up in the van and we saw the strangest sight.  A roadrunner was sitting up on the ledge of the empty house next door and barn swallows were dive-bombing it!  The swallows have nested under the porch roof over there last year and this.  It would seem that they felt the threat of this roadrunner to their young ones!  Yesterday, the roadrunner was out in our front yard and the barn swallows were once again dive-bombing it.  You'd think the roadrunner would get the message and change its diet, wouldn't you?   :D

We have also been having some type of rodent come partake of the seeds that we leave on the ground for the birds. (Yes, we need to get those up higher!  ::)) My daughter had seen it a couple of times before and told me it was a chipmunk.  We did actually see one out there once.  That's the only time I've ever seen a chipmunk in these parts.  Yesterday this little critter came back several times.  At first I thought it was a young prairie dog.  After getting a look at it through the binoculars, I saw that it had too long a tail.  My next thought was a kangaroo rat?  But it doesn't fit the description of any sources I've checked out.  It doesn't seem to have overly large hind legs or hop.  I haven't a clue.   ???

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #118 on: August 23, 2010, 12:03:29 PM »
Wow -that must be a second round of eggs for the swallows. Mine only had 1 group and fled. Yours must be more patient or at least better parents!  :P

As for your varmint ... no clue, Sister Dee. We did get to see mine this morning, though. Mature bear racing from the creek to the back of my garage. Yikes! Game and Fish must make a decision on what to do with this one. Too close for too long.

Oh ... The Kaibab Squirrel? Could it be that? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaibab_Squirrel

Sister Dee

« Reply #119 on: August 24, 2010, 07:40:16 AM »
No, that's not it.  It really looks an awful lot like a small prairie dog (same color) except the tail is kind of like a gerbil's, long, thin, and covered with fur.  Not bushy. 

Yeah, those swallows even went after my husband when they thought he was getting too close!   :D

As for your bear, that is getting way too close for comfort.   :o  I hope they do something about it soon!