Author Topic: The Gospel and Salvation  (Read 55023 times)

thx4mercy

Re: The Gospel and Salvation
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2018, 11:12:22 AM »
To refer to grace only as unmerited favor & to leave out "the divine influence on the heart," is to neglect a truth essential to spiritual growth!

Could "the divine influence on the heart" possibly be an example of "unmerited favor"?

tc

« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2018, 07:51:59 PM »
To refer to grace only as unmerited favor & to leave out "the divine influence on the heart," is to neglect a truth essential to spiritual growth!

Could "the divine influence on the heart" possibly be an example of "unmerited favor"?
Yes, of course! But, how many people think of grace in that way? The student was asked the meaning of grace. Then he was told by a college bible teacher that grace was
unmerited favor. In the Christian community grace is often considered a "free" ticket to heaven with little corresponding spiritual growth or need for sanctification. I believe
 people need to understood grace as including the power of God to overcome sin & how that is accomplished by abiding in Christ. I am not sure that most Christians see grace in that way. What do you think?

tc

"Buy the truth, and sell it not...." Pro 23:23

Glen McCluskey

« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2018, 04:35:54 AM »
The Bible says quite a bit about following through after receiving grace.

An example is Ephesians 2:8-10, where the point is made that we are created for good works.

Another is Romans 6:1, about continuing in sin so that "grace may abound".

A third is 2 Corinthians 6:1, about receiving grace in vain.

tc

« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2018, 10:03:02 PM »
The Bible says quite a bit about following through after receiving grace.

An example is Ephesians 2:8-10, where the point is made that we are created for good works.

Another is Romans 6:1, about continuing in sin so that "grace may abound".

A third is 2 Corinthians 6:1, about receiving grace in vain.

Yes! All of these verses show our need of sanctification! Strange, how some (even in our church) will twist their meaning.

And of course there is 2nd Peter 1:4

Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature,
 having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

I rejoice in what Christ did for us, in taking our nature & our sins, in dying in our place! I am especially thankful for God's promises, especially for His presence,
 & for "the divine influence on the heart!" God's Spirit working on the heart is what makes it possible for God to change us, to save us & to prepare us to be sealed!
tc

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2018, 07:34:38 AM »
Amen! Grace is more than a word, it is the power that transforms the life. Grace reveals God's love for us while we were yet sinners! "God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2018, 10:10:53 AM »
I was having this exact discussion not long ago with some people. Grace is more than forgiveness. And this text was brought up....

Hebrews 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

I find the last phrase interesting... "find grace TO HELP in time of need." If grace were only forgiveness there would be no power for it to help in a time of need. No help to withstand temptations.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

tc

« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2018, 06:35:36 PM »
I was having this exact discussion not long ago with some people. Grace is more than forgiveness. And this text was brought up....

Hebrews 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

I find the last phrase interesting... "find grace TO HELP in time of need." If grace were only forgiveness there would be no power for it to help in a time of need. No help to withstand temptations.

Yes! There is a real mssage in that verse! A lot to comtemplate! How often we need prayer! Has anyone here used a framework for prayer,
 like the Sanctuary Prayer method?

We received an email “Easter” message today from a cousin of my wife. He is a former SDA. His closing sentence was:
“Will you put your entire faith in Jesus’ finished work on the cross for the salvation of mankind?”

It is very sad what happens when people turn away from truth! He has adapted a couple of other beliefs also,
 that are not according to scripture. We have exchanged emails for years & haven't been able to reach him, but
we do keep in touch.
 Thanks for the feedback, Jim!
 tc
tc