Author Topic: Winter is in the air!  (Read 52190 times)

Lewis

Re: Winter is in the air!
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2008, 05:35:20 PM »
Lewis, do you find that the Snowshoe Hares are cyclic in their abundance?  Here they will be abundant some winters (their tracks are all over the woods--but I rarely see them--too many places to hide) and rare in other years (like last winter).  It is somewhat tied to the abundance of Fishers.  We have plenty of those around, too, although I rarely see them.  They also help keep the Porcupine population in check.

I have not noticed any cycles here Wally. I usually see these rabbits along with the jack rabbits during the night. One night I was looking out our back window where our back yard goes up the side of the mountain and there must have been 6 of them sitting around. All of a sudden they all moved to the left and sat still. About 2 minutes later a coyote walked right by where they had been sitting. One night I saw a white jack rabbit just lopping up the road. At first, I thought it was someones dog because of the size and the was it was moving until I saw the ears. We have pretty big jack rabbits as well.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2008, 06:11:06 AM »
One night I saw a white jack rabbit just lopping up the road. At first, I thought it was someones dog because of the size and the was it was moving until I saw the ears. We have pretty big jack rabbits as well.

White-tailed or Black-tailed?  My memory of the range of the 2 is somewhat fuzzy--and my book is at home.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2008, 08:19:11 AM »
I could be wrong but it was my understanding that when it came to rabbits that when they get very big in numbers that some kind of disease usually sets in and reduces their numbers.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2008, 08:43:27 AM »
Could it also be that there are large numbers of rabbits because the beasts of the fields need to be fed? Granted, in heaven the beasts will eat grass, but while in a fallen condition themselves, this is something I have thought about when it comes to rabbits.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2008, 09:30:24 AM »
I could be wrong but it was my understanding that when it came to rabbits that when they get very big in numbers that some kind of disease usually sets in and reduces their numbers.

Here in Maine it's mostly the Fishers that reduce their numbers--for better or for worse.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2008, 02:03:28 PM »
I don't mean to rub it in or anything, but whle poor Lewis is freezing to death up in the alpine zone, we are having spring-like weather here in Maine.  It was 60 today (normal would be mid 40's,), and I haven't had to burn any wood since Wednesday.  Every stick of wood saved now, is one I won't have to cut and split next summer.  ;D

I don't know about the rest of you, but each year as we approach winter, I think of how much I will appreciate the perfect climate of the new earth.  I will not miss the cold and snow, or the bare trees and lack of flowers.  The fact that we have gotten used to this is a sad commentary on how far we've come from Eden.

Lewis

« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2008, 02:14:14 PM »
Wally  :D, I will have to say that it was actually warm this morning for being 15 degrees. It had been 7 below a few hours before that. There was prayer given before going to bed that God would send warmer weather, and He did.  :)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2008, 07:51:47 AM »
Big fat snowflakes this morning!  ;D Very nice, except that they are blowing parallel to the ground. This is a day for study!

Lewis

« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2008, 07:54:57 AM »
That is GREAT  ;D

Lewis

« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2008, 02:58:54 PM »
Well Wally your fame is short lived for being colder than we were yesterday morning.  8) We have an excuse for that, and it is called Chinook. Any way we reached upper 30's for the day however. But today was quite different. There was over 100 mph winds north of us, and right now it is 14 degrees with below zero wind chills and it snowed most of the day... again. That makes 12 of the 14 days this month with snow. And I am praying for some big snowstorms. Bigger than last years.   ;D

Linda K

• Wordkeeping
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2008, 03:08:29 PM »
Just a thought... When Jesus said Pray that your flight be not in winter, was that a promise to us that if we pray that prayer, we won't have to flee in the winter? I live in central California not too far from the coast. I love warm weather.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2008, 05:08:36 PM »
Just a thought... When Jesus said Pray that your flight be not in winter, was that a promise to us that if we pray that prayer, we won't have to flee in the winter? I live in central California not too far from the coast. I love warm weather.

I've wondered about that myself.  It isn't too relevent if one lives in the south, but up here in the frozen wastelands of Maine, and in the high mountains of the west, it is something to consider.  Without having inspired testimony to draw on, I believe that God will work it out for the best for each of us, as the need arises--and He won't give us more than we can handle.  I don't believe He is going to hide us from those who would destroy us and then allow us to freeze to death.  Maybe global warming will be well advanced by then . . . .   ::)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »
As long as we are simply thinking out loud and voicing our musings.... I have also thought about that statement.... but I figured that for us in the northern hemisphere that it might not be so simple. Why you ask? ... Well I'm glad you asked. We are told that Christ will come through the constellation of Orion. Well... in the northern hemisphere the only time that Orion is clearly visible is during the winter. So our brother and sisters in the southern hemisphere shouldn't be in that dilemma.

Yes... I know...there are problems and holes in my reasoning but I thought it was interesting none the less. :)
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2008, 04:02:04 AM »
As long as we are simply thinking out loud and voicing our musings.... I have also thought about that statement.... but I figured that for us in the northern hemisphere that it might not be so simple. Why you ask? ... Well I'm glad you asked. We are told that Christ will come through the constellation of Orion. Well... in the northern hemisphere the only time that Orion is clearly visible is during the winter. So our brother and sisters in the southern hemisphere shouldn't be in that dilemma.

Yes... I know...there are problems and holes in my reasoning but I thought it was interesting none the less. :)

Ah, but Orion is visible in the summer in the northern hemisphere--if you're up early enough in the morning.   ;)  Unless you live above the arctic circle where no stars are visible in the summer.

Dora

• For the battle is not yours, but God's.
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2008, 01:10:59 PM »
As long as we are just "musing" I will add some of my thoughts.  The typical Day of Atonement came in the fall, (as in 1844 on Oct.22nd) Right? But, sometimes, it did come earlier, correct? The feast almost immediately following that is the Feast of Tabernacles.  Isn't our Antitypical Feast of Tabernacles going to be held in Heaven?
Dora

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2008, 01:18:06 PM »
The Feast of Tabernacles was the closing gathering of the year - the harvest. A little before the feast was the Day of Atonement, when, after confession of their sins, the people were declared to be at peace with Heaven. Thus the way was prepared for the rejoicing of the feast.

This one is after the cleansing of the sanctuary (heavenly sanctuary). As type meets antitype, this would naturally follow as being celebrated in heaven, at least by all reckoning. 

Colleenhf

« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2008, 01:27:09 PM »
Up here in Alaska and I'm sure Wally and others in northern lattitudes....I wonder about
fleeing during the winter.   I can't imagine having to flee then.   
Our winter HAS hit!  Anchorage has snow on the ground now that should stay all winter as does Homer.

I had a wonderful visit to New England Oct 18-28.  My friend and I travelled from gorgeous
fall foliage in York Maine through snow crossing New Hampshire Mountains..we went to Vermont up into Canada came back down through MA into Connecticut stayed in RI and back to Boston.  WOW what a gorgeous trip and the weather was so very nice!!

Now I view the snow covered glaciers across the bay and delight to the eagles scream.
Happy Sabbath all,  colleen

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2008, 02:10:06 PM »
As long as we are just "musing" I will add some of my thoughts.  The typical Day of Atonement came in the fall, (as in 1844 on Oct.22nd) Right? But, sometimes, it did come earlier, correct? The feast almost immediately following that is the Feast of Tabernacles.  Isn't our Antitypical Feast of Tabernacles going to be held in Heaven?

Here is a little more, Dora:

The Feast of Tabernacles was not only commemorative but typical. It not only pointed back to the wilderness sojourn, but, as the feast of harvest, it celebrated the ingathering of the fruits of the earth, and pointed forward to the great day of final ingathering, when the Lord of the harvest shall send forth His reapers to gather the tares together in bundles for the fire, and to gather the wheat into His garner. At that time the wicked will all be destroyed. They will become "as though they had not been." Obadiah 16. And every voice in the whole universe will unite in joyful praise to God. Says the revelator, "Every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honor, and glory, and power, be unto Him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb forever and ever." Revelation 5:13. {PP 541.2}

The people of Israel praised God at the Feast of Tabernacles, as they called to mind His mercy in their deliverance from the bondage of Egypt and His tender care for them during their pilgrim life in the wilderness. They rejoiced also in the consciousness of pardon and acceptance, through the service of the day of atonement, just ended. But when the ransomed of the Lord shall have been safely gathered into the heavenly Canaan, forever delivered from the bondage of the curse, under which "the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now" (Romans 8:22), they will rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory. Christ's great work of atonement for men will then have been completed, and their sins will have been forever blotted out.

Dora

• For the battle is not yours, but God's.
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2008, 07:08:23 PM »
Thank you for sharing those beautiful words, Sybil.  How I long to be there, and "not a one missing."  I know that every person writing on this board has the same desires.  We have some stress filled days first, but we know that if we are trusting in Him, He will keep us in the very best way, whatever the season.
Dora

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2008, 04:46:35 PM »
You know how you can become so tired after a full day's work that at night you go to bed with a sweet exhaustion and then awaken at 3 in the morning and cannot return to sleep?  ::) That has been happening to me lately and I can't break the cycle - at least not yet ... am working on resetting my internal clock ... anyway, that is not the reason for this post. Point was ... I was awake at 3 in the morning to a most interesting little event!

Sliding out of bed, I looked out the French doors to see a fabulously clear sky. The Big Dipper was suspended in its appointed spot and was as beautiful as ever. The eastward horizon was still very dark, then I looked at the old Ponderosa pine tree and then the roof - it was snowing! Have seen it happen with rain on a cloudless day, but never with snow. We got several inches before sunrise and it was utterly amazing!

It reminded me of the Holy Spirit. We can't see Him move, listing here and there, yet there is evidence of His presence.  :)