Author Topic: Lesser Light What does it mean  (Read 66900 times)

Vic Hays

• http://
Lesser Light What does it mean
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2000, 07:25:00 PM »
I studied the Bible with the book Patriarcs and Prophets.  For the first time in my life the Bible made sense to me.  Twenty years later I still use SOP for reference to help me solve Bible problems.  She never lead me down a dead end as some other Bible writers have.

Vic Hays

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2000, 01:59:00 PM »
Brother Vic, welcome to the fellowship!   :)

You make an excellent point and one that needs to be recognized. Seventh-day Adventists read many different books looking for "truth".  Many times they are led down the wrong path. Such a shame. One of the great blessings that has come to me has been the endless pages of truth thoroughly winnowed of chaff. Why would I want to contaminate my mind with chaff?  I don't think many recognize what a blessing we have in this respect. I am not yet finished reading all that we have, so I have little time to read that which is not pure.

Having expressed this, I want to say there is need to publish books, but it surely should have the purpose of doing so for those not of  our faith who have not the confidence in the Spirit of Prophecy. (I guess there are some in the church also, as I think about it).

------------------
In His love and grace,    Richard

[This message has been edited by Richard Myers (edited 03-13-2000).]

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

eugene

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2000, 11:26:00 PM »
I took a 3 weeks trip to the phillippines a few months ago, and while there, I found that there are SDA preachers telling the people that EW writing were not inspired, and my wife's broghter had a heated debate with me over this. He dose not accept EW, and I was deeply hurt to hear him say this. Most of this is coming in from the land down under !

So the point is this, its not just here in america, but its every where you go in the world. You will find gurops of belivers here and there who do not accept EW.

I personlly do accept her. When I was a child, I knew a old woman who knew EW, and had a copy of her first "Early Writing" book, and gave it to me to read. What I read, set my feet on the path of life at a tender ages of 7 years old. A path from which I have never turned from since. It was after this, that God sent one of His angels to talk with me, and to tell what I needed to hear, words that I would never forget, as long as I live.  

It is the rememce of what I was told, that has helped me bear the sorrow of life in my darkest hours...

Jesus is coming back thur the Golden Gate...
He was lifted up from the earth...
We must take up the cross and fellow Him, before we can recieve the crown of life. First the cross, then the crown...

I learned this lesson, this truth, under the stars. The heavens do declare the glory of God. And it was in these nights visited that the words of EW were reafirmed in their turthfulness...

But for those who do not understand what I am talking about, it is hard to explaine briefly how the stars do reafrim the turthfullness of EW writings.

God has a thousands ways of treaching us what we need to know. He knows us very well, and knows we what need to hear, to help us to remainful to Him no matter what happens in life.

EW a lesser light?  I would say, her writing is not a lessor light, but a powerful light, shedding bright beams of light on to the Word that has been hand down to us thur the ages. God has been pleased to shed a clearer light, to unfold the Words of the Bible, thur the writing of a humble woman, rather than a man !  It was thur her, that He revealed more clearly the plan of salvation. It was thur her writing, that He revealed more clearly how sin began. The Bible dose not always tell. But in these last days God has chosen to lay it out on the line, like launder on the clothsline to air out. We see it and hear it. And its up to us to take it or leave it.

Many did the same thing to Paul in his day also. So the debate contines onwards even today... and will contine, till we see the heavens open, and we hear the voice of God declare the day and hour of His coming, and we see agaist the starry host, the hands open the tables of the law...

[This message has been edited by eugene (edited 03-14-2000).]

Elder John Thurber

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2000, 04:04:00 AM »
All of the thoughts on this thread have been a blessing to me.
I went to my Doctor yesterday for I have heart problems, and he is going to test me today, and his next words to me were thrilling as he told me not to drink any coffee befor the test. I thanked God for flashing in my mind was her council to us about coffee years ago, and now most Doctors agree it is harmful to the body. Just a simple example of what God has given us through the inspired writings. We are blessed.
John

charlene

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2000, 04:08:00 AM »
Eugene,  If I start the topic of "God in Astronomy" in the 'God in Nature' thread, Would you please continue giving us lessons from the stars?????PLease????   :)
In His Love
charlene
charlene

M.A. Crawford

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2000, 09:44:00 AM »
For me, the writings of Ellen G. White have always been a source of spiritual comfort and inspiration, but fierce opposition to her works is nothing new. During the latter part of the 19th century, three men---Dr. J.H. Kellogg, D.M. Canwright, and A.F. Ballenger (to name a few)---began to teach that which was at variance with standard Adventist beliefs and doctrines.  

Elders Cainwright and Ballenger were very famous and influential Adventist ministers who had  large followings. Dr. Kellogg was a famous physician who had powerful friends and headed up a very powerful institution known as the Battle Creek Sanitarium, which stretched for nearly a fifth of a mile, and (because of the church's emphasis on the health work) was the strongest force in the church at that time. All three opposed Mrs. White on every hand leading to, and ushering in, what became known as the Alpha Apostasy. "The alpha disclosed a paradox of men claiming to have discovered a truth far superior to historic Adventism while at the same time creating chaos wherever their ideas were voiced. Churches were split by this heresy...(for a more detailed account of the alpha apostasy, see the book Omega II: God's Church At The Brink by Lewis R. Walton)."

The "foundational pillars" of this church are once again under attack by men and women who seek to undermine the faith of all who believe in accepting the Bible as it reads and the writings of Ellen G. White.

I will have more to say on this important topic later.

M.A.    

M.A.

tami strand

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2000, 11:16:00 AM »
Dear Br. John, I will keep you in my prayers, God bless you and strengthen you.
Eugene, I agree with you that God withholds nothing necessary for our salvation,
"Surely the Lord God will do nothing but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets." Amos 3:7

Jesus says in Luke 7:28,33-35
"For I say unto you , Among those that are born of woman there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist: but he that is least in the kingdom is greater than he....
For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say He hath
a devil. The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!
But wisdom is justified of all her children."

Johns counsel was rejected by many, as was the Lord himself,and today our modern prophet. It is sorrowful, that God's people will be destroyed for their rejection of knowledge. Hosea 4:6

Blessings,
Tami

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2000, 02:19:00 PM »
M.A., welcome to the fellowship!  :) I appreciate your remarks and that you included the Bible, as it reads as being under attack.  Many that are rejecting truth would have us believe that the Bible does not mean what it says.

I have enjoyed your posts on the Compuserve forum over the years.

Good to have you with us.  :)

------------------
In His love and grace,    Richard

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

eugene

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2000, 08:42:00 PM »
Yes Charlene, I will give you my surport if you want to discuss the subject of Astronomy and nature.

M.A. Crawford

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2000, 02:09:00 PM »
Mrs. White referred to her writings as "the lesser light" which, if conscientiously followed, would lead us to a better understanding of "the Greater Light:" the Word of God. Although some have accused her of so doing, I have never read in her works where she tried to equate them with the Scriptures. What I have read was her attempt to exalt the Bible and Jesus Christ as the only means of soul salvation; and her works in this regard served in a complementary capacity rather than one of equality.

The writings of Ellen G. White are not inferior to the Bible. As God's prophet for His Remnant Church, her works assist us in understanding certain Bible doctrines we would not be able to otherwise.

M.A.

M.A.

Kevin Hellerud

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2000, 06:39:00 PM »
In the Old Testament, all the prophets would appeal to the revelation of God at Sinai as the basis for their authority.  The New Testament appealed to the Old Testament for the basis for it's authority.  They all claimed to be lessor lights pointing to the greater light of the inspired writers who cam be for them.  This is a test of a true prophet.

Most prophets point to themselves, or some miricals as their basis for authroity.  They can change the Bible as they wish.

A true prophet appeasls to the prophet's before them, and ultametly to the revelation at Sinai as their basis, and they they are only lesser lights.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2000, 09:33:00 AM »
I like that, Brother Kevin.  The Apostle Paul did not see his writings as a part of the Bible.

One of the great blessings in life for me is to read the Desire of Ages in the morning for my personal devotions.  It is the most beautiful revelation of the life of Jesus I have found.  Yes,  I know the gospels cover the same material. I study them, but I love to read the Desire of Ages.   :)

In His love and grace,     Richard

Laurie Mosher

• There is a place of quiet rest
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2000, 06:05:00 AM »
 I believe Bro. Kevin hit the nail on the head. The Holy Spirit inspired all the prophets (Bible and EGW) to PROMOTE Jesus Christ. In this sense, all the writings of the prophets are "LESSER LIGHTS'.And obviously Jesus is the 'GREATER LIGHT" (Malachi 4:2 SUn of Righteousness)
John 1:8 Jesus IS THE TRUE LIFE.
John 8:12 Jesus said "I AM THE LIGHT of the world."
John 12:46; 2 Cor.4:4

Keep "the" faith!
 Bro. Laurie

Keep "the" Faith,  Brother Laurie

Allan F

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2000, 11:08:00 AM »
"Believe in the Lord your god, so shall ye be established; believe His prophets, so shall ye prosper" (2 Chronicles 20:20).

When I for the first time read through the "Conflict of the Ages series" (it took me almost a year), beginning with the fall of Lucifer and the creation of the earth, and ending with our days, the second coming and the new earth, it really opened my eyes. To follow God, his plans and his people continually through the history, became a rich blessing to me. It was so inspiring to have a look into the lifes of Gods faithful people through the history. When coming up to our days, I felt almost like participating in a relay. When reading about the prophets, apostles, martyrs, waldensians, reformators etc., the main message I got was: "Come on! Now it is your turn!".
I have found much strength and comfort in her writings. And I want to praise God for this.

Allan F

Elder John Thurber

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2000, 05:02:00 PM »
Amen Allen - What a joy to have the Conflict of the Ages series, as well as much more. Elder Richards Sr. read the conflict series every year. I too love to read them and spend time praying while I thank God for the gift.
Friend John

M.A. Crawford

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2000, 04:35:00 PM »
Elder Thurber, speaking of Elder Richards. Sr.,I saw a photo of him once that had a profound effect on me. In it he was walking along, but he had a book in his hand he was reading even as he was walking. What I gleaned from this was as often as possible, we Seventh-day Adventists who are trying to be saved need to have the Bible and writings of Ellen G. White before us every opportunity we have to do so.

We need to be STRONG in the Word because I am convinced this is how we build a SOLID FOUNDATION that will be unmoveable during the days of serious trial that are soon to come upon us.

The Bible and spirit of prophecy need to be our "spiritual blinders," just as they were with Elder Richards, that keep us looking straight ahead and focused on Christ. If we were to keep our gaze focused upon Jesus and the Word of God as we should, we would not become as irritated and agitated by the vicissitudes of this life that the enemy uses to weaken our spiritual defenses and defeat us.

M.A.  

M.A.

John Blake

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2000, 09:13:00 PM »
  It was a joy to read such positive, uplifting and well thought-out comments on this 'thread'.  
I would like to add that at the moment I am [still] reading Dr. Herbert Douglass new book on Ellen White, "Messenger of the Lord".  It is one of the most inspiring and faith building books I have ever read in the SDA church!!!    
If you want your faith grounded in the role of Ellen White and God's direct leading of the SDA church, with thousands of reasons backed up from science and history and the Themes of the Great Controversy, then get this book. It helps build faith! It is costly in Canada, well over $40. and it is big, edging close to 600 pages. It is worth every penny of it!

BUT, you will find evidences and support that you can use for years to come -- with solid facts that have born the test of time.

Something I found today.  Remember reading about the famous Cornell University Professor (taught there 37 years), Dr. Clive McKay, and his three articles in the 1959 Review upholding Ellen White's views on health?  
 In a footnote in Douglass book,  today I came across a quote from a 1958 letter he wrote to the graduate student of his, Hen Chen-Chung, who had introduced him to the writings of Ellen White. This is what he said (quoted from the footnote # 186 p.m 341)
"If I were to start life again I would like to be an Adventist.  I believe their philosophy has the best solution of the problems of living amidst the strains of the American culture.  I have only make a slight beginning of discovering the wisdom of Ellen White."
 Remember that we are told that one of the last great deceptions, and I believe it will be in the SDA church, is to make the SOP of "NONE EFFECT".  What is often happening now is that people say they believe that she was a prophet, that God did give her visions and dreams, and yes her writings 'contain' the word of God, but that they ALSO contain her own opinions and things now quite out of date and some 'mistakes', so really we need to now mostly study the Bible.  They then de-emphasize the SOP and say we have to sort her errors and private opinions out -- and so where does that leave us?
 The United Church went that route years ago about the Bible -- not that it WAS the "Word of God", but that it 'contained' the Word of God, and you and the experts sort out the truth from the myth.  When SDA's start doing this either with the Bible or the SOP, then we are on the route to making the SOP 'of none effect'!
 May God bless your deep study using the SOP to help you exalt the Bible, just as she did!

L.Picard

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2001, 09:31:00 PM »
If I may jump in,  :) I believe that as John the Baptist was "a lesser light which was to be followed by a greater" (D.A.220) Ellen White was "a lesser light which is to be followed by a greater." As John the Baptist was "the Elijah that was to come" so Ellen White was "the individual which was to come in the spirit and power of Elijah." 1 SM 412.
In her writings Sister White speaks of Elijah the individual and Elijah the people. The Elijah the people are preceded by the Elijah the individual. Could it be that those who will be filled with the Holy Spirit during the latter rain and loud cry will be the Elijah the people, the greater light? The light that will shine through them will lighten the earth with the glory of God. Rev.18:1. The earth will be filled with the knowledge of God and of Christ. It is said that "The world will be CAPTIVATED by the glory of an abiding Christ." C.O.L. 419. Will that not be the greater light?

John the Baptist's ministry was followed by Christ Himself and later by Christ in the person of His disciples at Pentecost with a fullness never experienced before! Did they not, like Christ, become the greater light? "During the patriarchal age the influence of the Holy Spirit had often been revealed in a marked manner, but NEVER IN ITS FULLNESS... But at Pentecost, "The Spirit came upon the waiting, praying disciples with a FULLNESS that reached every heart." A.A.37,38. (This statement would also explain why John said that "the Spirit had not been given because that Jesus was not yet glorified" in John 7:38. (The Spirit had not been given in its fullness until Jesus's coronation in Heaven).

P/S In 1 SM p.412 there you can read how Sister White, in a very unassuming manner, implies that she was the Elijah that was to come!  

Those who rejected the teachings of John the Baptist could not benefit from the teachings of Christ. Those who neglect or reject the Testimonies will not be able to benefit from the latter rain message!

[This message has been edited by L.Picard (edited 02-25-2001).]

L.Picard

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2003, 08:17:00 PM »
She surely has brought to the world the Elijah message. Only those who cannot discern the moving of the Holy Spirit would deny her inspiration.

Ralph Myers

• http://666beast.net
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2003, 07:09:00 PM »
Is there not going to be any new prophet after Ellen White?
Ralph Myers
'Vantage