Author Topic: 27 Principles of Music  (Read 76447 times)

Elder John Thurber

• Moderator at Rest
    • http://
Re: 27 Principles of Music
« Reply #140 on: May 18, 2011, 06:26:51 AM »
Principle #27:  Despite popular theories, your choice of music is a spiritual decision, having important ramifications both for this life and in eternity.

ANGELS AND MUSIC

"Let us all bear in mind that in every assembly of the saints below are angels of God, listening to the testimonies, songs, and prayers. Let us remember that our praises are supplemented by the choirs of the angelic host above .... Let the love of God be the burden of the speaker's utterance. Let it be expressed in simple language in every song of praise."  (6T   p. 366)
   "When human beings sing with the spirit and understanding heavenly musicians take up the strain and join in the song of thanksgiving."  (9T  p.143)
Covered with His Life 412
   "The spiritual ear alone can hear the harmony of heavenly voices .... And as the Lords army of workers here below sing their songs of praise, the choir above joins  with them in ascribing praise to God and His Son."   (AA,  p. 153-154)
   "All the inhabitants of heaven unite in praising God. Let us learn the song of the angels now, that we may sing it when we join their shining ranks." ( PP,  p.289)         
"As the Redeemer leads us to the threshold of the infinite, flushed with the glory of God, we can catch the themes of praise and thanksgiving from the heavenly choir round about the throne; and as the echo of the angels song is awakened in our earthly homes, hearts will be drawn closer to the heavenly singers. Heaven's communion begins on earth. We learn to hear the keynote of its praise."  (Ed,  p.168)
What a privilege to be able to learn the music of heaven. It seems to tell us that there is heavenly music, and it is different then the music of the world.
Selfishness and our own interest will keep us from participating with the angel choir.
   "Let none suppose that they can live a life of selfishness, and then, having served their own interest, enter into the joy of their Lord. In the joy of unselfish love they could not participate. They would not be fitted for the heavenly courts. They could not appreciate the pure atmosphere of love that pervades heaven. The voices of the angels and the music of their harps would not satisfy them. to their minds the science of heaven would be an enigma."  (COL, p. 364-365)
ANGELS WARN US  OF MUSIC THAT IS NOT BLESSED BY GOD.
         "Christians are gathered there, but what is that you hear? It is song, a frivolous ditty, fit for the dance hall. Behold the pure angels gather their light closer around them, and darkness envelops those in that dwelling, The angels are moving from that dwelling. The angels are moving from the scene. Sadness is upon their countenances. Behold they are weeping. This I saw repeated a number of times all through the ranks of Sabbath keepers"   (V1,  p. 506)
Music forms a part of god's worship in the courts above. We should endeavor in our songs of praise approach as nearly as possible to the harmony of the heavenly choirs. I have often been pained to hear untrained voices, pitched to the highest key, literally shrieking the sacred words of some hymn of praise. How inappropriate those sharp rasping voices for the solemn, joyous worship of God. I long to stop my ears, and flee from the place, and I rejoice when the painful exercise is ended."  (Ev,  p. 507-508)
   "In some churches I have heard solos that were altogether unsuitable for the service of the Lord's house. The long drawn out notes and peculiar sounds common in operatic singing are not pleasing to the angels. They delight to hear the simple songs of praise sung in a natural tone. The songs in which every word is uttered clearly, in a musical tone, are the songs that they join us in singing. They take up the refrain that is sung from the heart with the spirit and understanding."  (Ev,  p. 510)
"Your singing is far from pleasing to the angel choir.  Imagine yourself standing in the angel band elevating your shoulders, emphasizing the words, motioning your body and putting in the full volume of your voice. What kind of concert and harmony would there be with such an exhibition before the angels?" The Voice of Speech and Song , p. 424)
The question we need to answer is are we willing to search the truth out for ourselves, and "Prove what is acceptable unto the Lord" (Ephesians 5:10 NAS)          

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2011, 07:08:05 AM »
Amen! Never before has the selection of music been more important to not only Christians, but to the world. Satan has made it his special vehicle to capture millions. The line between good and evil is becoming very fine in this area as in other  areas of life.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #142 on: January 30, 2012, 12:28:42 PM »
Principle # 26: God is not pleased when solos are filled with self.

“Musical talent too often fosters pride and ambition for display and singers have but little thought of the worship of God. Instead of leading minds to remember God, it often causes them to forget Him.” (Letter 6a, 1890, pages 11-12)

“Your singing is far from pleasing to the angel choir. Imagine yourself standing in the angel band elevating your shoulders, emphasizing the words, motioning your body and putting in the full volume of your voice. What kind of concert and harmony would there be with such an exhibition before the angels?” (The Voice in speech and song page 424)

We have a sweet young woman who offered a piano solo last Sabbath. She is becoming more proficient in her study of the piano and it was a blessing to hear her play. We had a baptism so many of the candidate's family members were there from area churches. The church was full and it was wonderful to see.

When she finished her musical offering, those three of four people who always applaud, began to applaud but no one else did. Before taking her seat, she turned to the congregation and said, "That was wimpy!" There were a few seconds of pregnant pause and then about 50% of the congregation applauded. It was sickening to see so many indulge this young woman's ego. We didn't know she had one.  :(
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #143 on: January 30, 2012, 01:12:05 PM »
If none had indulged her, she may have considered her problem. Even with human counsel coming from the highest authority in the church, in harmony with God's counsel, we see a neglect to respond. :( It is the nature of the Laodicean condition. And, a congregation seldom rises above the pastor.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
"Friend John" is Sleeping in Christ
« Reply #144 on: February 08, 2019, 07:24:23 PM »
We received word that "Friend John" has gone to sleep in the Lord. It was such a blessing to have known our Friend John. I first came to know him when at the Indianapolis General Conference Session in 1990. It was on the last Sabbath Evening of the session when Elder Thurber led the song service for our evening worship. It was a very special blessing for me in two ways. First, I was very disappointed at the worldly entertainment and lack of piety seen at the session. Thus, when there was a quiet solemnity as Elder Thurber began, it was a especially beautiful in contrast to what had been.

Secondly, Elder Thurber had us hum our parts as we went through two most beautiful hymns. As we hummed it was the most  beautiful sound I had ever heard. There were 40,000 Christians attending that night. But, I know that it was more than that that created the sound. I truly believe the angels were humming with us. I could not wait to get a copy of the video we had broadcast that evening. When I got home, it was the first thing I wanted to do, to listen to see if it sounded the same. It did not. But, the sound of angels humming with us, I will never forget.

Five or so years later, Elder Thurber came to a church not far from where I live, and I just happened to be there when he was singing. I took the opportunity to ask him if anyone had told him they heard the angels humming with us. He smiled that beautiful smile he had and said "yes."   That began a relationship with him that was dear to me. I asked if he would participate at Remnant Online and he said yes. The thread I am posting in now was his topic where he shared his understanding of the principles music. It was such a blessing to have them written down here for us to study.

As I started to post tonight, I noticed how many hits are on his topic. There have been over 43,000 hits. That is a large number for us. Many church members knew Elder Thurber. He was involved in ministry for many years. Music was his love, as was his desire to help young people. Elder Thurber was a past conference president, as well as serving as a teacher, pastor, conference and union youth director, and family life educator. He loved to sing. He sang as second tenor with the King’s Heralds quartet with the Voice of Prophecy from 1961–1967.

Elder John W. Thurber passed away on Sunday February 3, 2019. He was preceded in death by his daughter Sherry (Thurber) Juhasz. He is survived by his wife of 65 years, Patsy (Fogg); sons Mic and Gary Thurber, both pastors working at the union level.   A celebration of John’s life and ministry will take place at the College View Seventh-day Adventist Church in Lincoln, Nebraska, on March 2, 2019, at 4:00 p.m. In lieu of flowers, the family invites memorial gifts to the Voice of Prophecy, a ministry that was dear to John’s heart. Cards of condolence may be mailed to The Thurber Family, c/o the Mid-America Union Conference, P.O. Box 6128, Lincoln, NE, 68506.

If you did not know Friend John, spend some time with him as you read through his posts in this forum. You will be blessed. If you did know him, then you too will be blessed to review his love for music and sharing it with those who love Jesus. Friend John is missed, but for sure we shall see him soon!