Author Topic: Food Prices to Skyrocket  (Read 6618 times)

Brian M

Food Prices to Skyrocket
« on: February 21, 2008, 09:30:29 AM »
Wheat prices are skyrocketing and soon to hit grocery store shelves. If you deal in commodities, you know that wheat is not alone. Couple this with other issues and you could -- and I say could -- easily see a major crisis. We are told the final events will be rapid.

Most people have no idea how tenuous the entire food supply really is. I've spent my whole life in food, and I've seen the way people can panic and wipe out store shelves when a storm is coming. Last I knew there was, at best, a 3-day supply of food in the entire distribution system of the US - at least in conventional grocery. That means that if there were a major rush on food in regular grocery stores - the supply would only last three days - and that includes the wholesale warehouses. The rest would be in production or in raw materials yet.

If you Google this you'll see it is not purely a US phenomenon.

Here are some links talking about the wheat issue:

Text
http://capitalpress.com/Main.asp?SectionID=94&ArticleID=38998

http://wcbstv.com/seenon/wheat.prices.arthur.2.658137.html

http://www.tbsource.com/localnews/index.asp?cid=104909

There are a lot more links out there.
Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. Psalm 119:18

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Food Prices to Skyrocket
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 11:09:53 AM »
The economy is not good. Corruption has brought us to this situation where the middle class is being destroyed. For years we have been told there is no inflation. It was a lie. The wealthy are gaining all around the world.  As long as God is ignored, things will not be set right. Yes, dear brother, the last steps will be rapid ones. And, many will be surprised.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 12:06:17 PM »
Three-day supply ...  :o
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 02:21:06 PM »
Our bread and our water will be sure. A supply that will not run out. :)
With Christian Love,
Marie

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 05:21:11 PM »
I bought several bars of soap, large bag of Pet Promise cat food, tomatoes, lettuce, olive oil, shampoo, Extra Strength Tylenol and a couple other items not even covering the bottom of a shopping cart - $159. I had $160 in my wallet and about fainted.

Sister Marie

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 05:53:11 AM »
Isn't God great, He will take care of us. Reminds me of the prophecy about Jerusalem that said things would cost so much. The people did not believe it, but when the war came and they were stuck in the city and could not go out, the price of food went up just like the prophecy said it would. I think we too are experiencing something like that and it is going to get much worse. We need to trust God in all things now so we can trust him later.  :)
With Christian Love,
Marie

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 06:14:33 AM »
I bought several bars of soap, large bag of Pet Promise cat food, tomatoes, lettuce, olive oil, shampoo, Extra Strength Tylenol and a couple other items not even covering the bottom of a shopping cart - $159. I had $160 in my wallet and about fainted.

Since I'm in the retail business I've been noticing this for some time, starting more than 6 months ago.  Some things have stablized or gone down (like wheat), but the trickle down effect doesn't seem to have reached its climax, yet.   Bread prices continue to rise.  From our major distributor I do my orders with a hand held scanner, and send the order through the internet.  Every time I do that it updates the catalog with new prices, sales, and so on.  It alerts me whenever there is a change in the price.  A year ago most of the beeping was for sales.  Now most of the beeps indicate price increases.  Oddly, most customers aren't complaining.  And it's still much cheaper to be a vegetarian than a carnivore.  ;D
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 07:17:21 AM »
Yes, it is cheaper! I think people are just expecting everything to be higher and say nothing. Here the price of 1/2 gal of soy Silk is $3.25 and rising. Is that a typical price, Wally?

Lewis

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 07:22:51 AM »
Oddly, most customers aren't complaining. 

That is what I have noticed. Those in our church here, and community are not complaining or at least saying something about the high prices of groceries. Very seldom to I hear anything. Also, we are seeing more people moving up here, many are taking their vacations in our church and community as if all is normal. Some apparently have money, or credit, or are spending their money as if we are going to be here a few hundred more years.

One lady I talked to told who goes to one of the churches here told me that for a person to come from down below to go skiing at Vail for a day, which includes gas up here and back down, the food, lodging and lift ticket is $600.00. Now, how much for a large family? Amazing. And she believes that all will be well for the long term once we elect a new president, and the financial bailout occurs. That reminds me of the text... when they say peace and safety, then sudden destruction comes upon them, and my lord delayeth his coming.

The price of a half gallon of soy milk here is $4.99. And I remember at one point at the end of our winter red grapes were $6.99 a pound.

Lewis

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 03:49:49 PM »
Food prices vary according to where one lives and what store you shop at where we live. Today, we got a large cart full of groceries for $139.00, by driving over the hill. This is about a 60 mile round trip. The closest stores to us besides our one and only local one. However, the cost of living there is extreme. An average 3 bedroom house with no property would be $2,000.00 to $5,000.00/month to rent.

Here if we were to buy the same groceries... and many of the products here are not as good, our cost would have been around $300.00. As soon as the snow starts going, we will have to drive almost 65 miles south to get good food and where they have a couple of health food stores.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 04:52:57 PM »
Yes, it is cheaper! I think people are just expecting everything to be higher and say nothing. Here the price of 1/2 gal of soy Silk is $3.25 and rising. Is that a typical price, Wally?

If you got it at that price, consider yourself fortunate.  It is $4.00 around here.  It has been steadily rising this year.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 05:57:33 PM »
Then I am indeed blest.

Larry Lyons

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 06:23:51 PM »

If you got it at that price, consider yourself fortunate.  It is $4.00 around here.  It has been steadily rising this year.
Soy milk is a little over 3.00 per quart at the little local store, as I recall, but it  between 12 and 13.00 for a case of 12 qts. at Costco. But to really know the price I would have to factor in Costco's membership fee plus the gas for the 200 mile round trip to town and back.  Most people who live out here make a monthly trip to town to do the main shopping.
Even so, most items have increased. I went into a Staple's Office Supply store to buy a roll of scotch tape. The price was 6.00 for one small roll. Thanks, but no thanks!!
I went to Longs Drugs but I still paid 6.00, but I got 3 rolls. That is still too high.

Sister Marie

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 01:31:23 AM »
It may still cost too much, but it sounds to me like it is time to make our own soy milk. I believe it is time to cut as much processed foods our of our diet as possible. It is cheaper and far better for us. I also recall a wise women saying something about eating as simply as possible. We are going to be forced to back down and eat much more simply pretty soon.

People don't complain.... So many seem to be mentally drugged now days. Something strange is going on in this world and we know what it is too. Satan has cut most minds down so their God given ability to use common sense is not longer there; becoming puppets on a string. :(
With Christian Love,
Marie

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 06:15:21 AM »
With the economic downturn we can expect some relief from higher prices. Demand is dropping as the recession spreads. The high oil price that increases prices on all items is going down. This also ought to translate into lower prices. Offsetting this will be the effect of a weaker dollar unless the word economy collapses.  We now turn to Bible prophecy and see that our only safety in in Christ. We are in the last days and the world is as it was at the time of the great flood.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.