Author Topic: The Ten Virgins  (Read 78321 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Ten Virgins
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2007, 11:22:34 PM »
Jesus covers all of the bases for all of the parables. What else does he say to buy?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2007, 11:24:58 PM »
And as we think on this, what was the oil used for in the holy place? It went into the candlestick. It provided the light. What is light?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2007, 11:25:41 PM »
What is darkness?

Dora

• For the battle is not yours, but God's.
« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2007, 11:28:10 PM »
This is what we are studying in our SS lessons...the Refiner's Fire.  The burning out of the dross by the trials.  But, we "buy" this gold by accepting the trials as the means to refine us.  We also "accept" the white rainment, for it is only Christ's robe by which we can be clothed.  And, the city of Laodicia was famous for its' eyesalve.  Jesus wants us to have Heavenly eyesalve that we may see spiritually and discern spiritually.
Dora

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2007, 11:29:31 PM »
Jesus covers all of the bases for all of the parables. What else does he say to buy?

He leaves nothing undone.

The Pearl. All was sold so this could be bought.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2007, 11:30:27 PM »
This is what we are studying in our SS lessons...the Refiner's Fire.  The burning out of the dross by the trials.  But, we "buy" this gold by accepting the trials as the means to refine us.  We also "accept" the white rainment, for it is only Christ's robe by which we can be clothed.  And, the city of Laodicia was famous for its' eyesalve.  Jesus wants us to have Heavenly eyesalve that we may see spiritually and discern spiritually.

And the Holy Spirit all of sudden is in the lesson!!!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2007, 11:31:04 PM »
And as we think on this, what was the oil used for in the holy place? It went into the candlestick. It provided the light. What is light?

Oil = Holy Spirit

Light = Jesus, the Light of the World

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2007, 11:32:30 PM »
Then the oil in the "LAMPS" is?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2007, 11:33:25 PM »
And we are "earthen vessels".

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2007, 11:37:29 PM »
From the two olive trees the golden oil was emptied through the golden pipes into the bowl of the candlestick, and thence into the golden lamps that gave light to the sanctuary. So from the holy ones that stand in God's presence His Spirit is imparted to the human instrumentalities who are consecrated to His service. The mission of the two anointed ones is to communicate to God's people that heavenly grace which alone can make His word a lamp to the feet and a light to the path. "Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit, saith the Lord of hosts." Zech. 4:6.  {COL 408.1}

In the parable, all the ten virgins went out to meet the bridegroom. All had lamps and vessels for oil. For a time there was seen no difference between them. So with the church that lives just before Christ's second coming. All have a knowledge of the Scriptures. All have heard the message of Christ's near approach, and confidently expect His appearing. But as in the parable, so it is now. A time of waiting intervenes, faith is tried; and when the cry is heard, "Behold, the Bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet Him," many are unready. They have no oil in their vessels with their lamps. They are destitute of the Holy Spirit.  {COL 408.2}

Without the Spirit of God a knowledge of His word is of no avail. The theory of truth, unaccompanied by the Holy Spirit, cannot quicken the soul or sanctify the heart. One may be familiar with the commands and promises of the Bible; but unless the Spirit of God sets the truth home, the character will not be transformed. Without the enlightenment of the Spirit, men will not be able to distinguish truth from error, and they will fall under the masterful temptations of Satan.  {COL 408.3}

The class represented by the foolish virgins are not hypocrites. They have a regard for the truth, they have advocated the truth, they are attracted to those who believe the truth; but they have not yielded themselves to the Holy Spirit's working. They have not fallen upon the Rock, Christ Jesus, and permitted their old nature to be broken up. This class are represented also by the stony-ground hearers. They receive the word with readiness, but they fail of assimilating its principles. Its influence is not abiding. The Spirit works upon man's heart, according to his desire and consent implanting in him a new nature; but the class represented by the foolish virgins have been content with a superficial work. They do not know God. They have not studied His character; they have not held communion with Him; therefore they do not know how to trust, how to look and live. Their service to God degenerates into a form. "They come unto thee as the people cometh, and they sit before thee as My people, and they hear thy words, but they will not do them; for with their mouth they show much love, but their heart goeth after their covetousness." Eze. 33:31. The apostle Paul points out that this will be the special characteristic of those who live just before Christ's second coming. He says, "In the last days perilous times shall come: for men shall be lovers of their own selves; . . . lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof." 2 Tim. 3:1-5.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2007, 11:37:41 PM »
We are to be "light" in a dark world? How can we be light?  Who is the Light of the world?  The candlestick in the sanctuary, provided the light. But, it could not be a light without the oil. The oil was the source of light for the candlestick. What is the source of light for God's people?

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2007, 11:40:31 PM »
Sweet Jesus is the Light of the World!

This parable appears to contain elements of most all His parables. The earthen vessles that hold the oil, included. The wheat and the tares ...

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2007, 11:46:04 PM »
It is interesting as we went through this that I saw more clearly than ever that these parables fit nicely together. I apologize for mingling them...the dress with the oil, but as I contemplated the wedding, it was natural to consider the wedding garment that would be examined. So, we have the same lesson from the two parables, but using different language. Then my mind went to Rev 3 and there we see both the dress and the eye salve.  :)  Thank you all for the study!! It was a blessing and the Holy Spirit was here helping us! 

Heavenly Father, thank you for giving us your Holy Spirit. Help us to see our need continually. Forgive our sins and keep us in your hand, we pray in the precious name of Jesus, amen.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2007, 11:47:37 PM »
Amen! Goodnight!

asygo

« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2007, 11:51:04 PM »
The candlestick in the sanctuary, provided the light.

The lamp full of oil sheds no light unless you add the fire/heat from God.

The truth will not glorify God unless we allow the Spirit and the Refiner's fire to ignite and turn us into instruments to light the world.
By God's grace,
Arnold M. Sy Go
-end-

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2007, 07:19:50 AM »
Amen! The next couple of paragraphs in the parable from COL on the all essential oil - the Holy Spirit ...

The psalmist says, "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto may path." Ps. 119:105. The oil is a symbol of the Holy Spirit. Thus the Spirit is represented in the prophecy of Zechariah. "The angel that talked with me came again," he says, "and waked me, as a man that is wakened out of his sleep, and said unto me, What seest thou? And I said, I have looked, and behold a candlestick all of gold, with a bowl upon the top of it, and his seven lamps thereon, and seven pipes to the seven lamps, which are upon the top thereof; and two olive trees by it, one upon the right side of the bowl, and the other upon the left side thereof. So I answered and spake to the angel that talked with me, saying, What are these, my lord? . . . Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the Lord unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit, saith the Lord of hosts. . . . And I answered again, and said unto him, What be these two olive branches which through the two golden pipes empty the golden oil out of themselves? . . . Then said he, These are the two anointed ones, that stand by the Lord of the whole earth." Zech. 4:1-14. 

From the two olive trees the golden oil was emptied through the golden pipes into the bowl of the candlestick, and thence into the golden lamps that gave light to the sanctuary. So from the holy ones that stand in God's presence His Spirit is imparted to the human instrumentalities who are consecrated to His service. The mission of the two anointed ones is to communicate to God's people that heavenly grace which alone can make His word a lamp to the feet and a light to the path. "Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit, saith the Lord of hosts." Zech. 4:6.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2007, 07:30:28 AM »

The two classes of watchers represent the two classes who profess to be waiting for their Lord. They are called virgins because they profess a pure faith. By the lamps is represented the word of God.

In the parable, all the ten virgins went out to meet the bridegroom. All had lamps and vessels for oil. For a time there was seen no difference between them. So with the church that lives just before Christ's second coming. All have a knowledge of the Scriptures. All have heard the message of Christ's near approach, and confidently expect His appearing. But as in the parable, so it is now. A time of waiting intervenes, faith is tried; and when the cry is heard, "Behold, the Bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet Him," many are unready. They have no oil in their vessels with their lamps. They are destitute of the Holy Spirit. 

Without the Spirit of God a knowledge of His word is of no avail. The theory of truth, unaccompanied by the Holy Spirit, cannot quicken the soul or sanctify the heart. One may be familiar with the commands and promises of the Bible; but unless the Spirit of God sets the truth home, the character will not be transformed. Without the enlightenment of the Spirit, men will not be able to distinguish truth from error, and they will fall under the masterful temptations of Satan.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2007, 07:42:30 AM »
     The class represented by the foolish virgins are not hypocrites. They have a regard for the truth, they have advocated the truth, they are attracted to those who believe the truth; but they have not yielded themselves to the Holy Spirit's working. They have not fallen upon the Rock, Christ Jesus, and permitted their old nature to be broken up. This class are represented also by the stony-ground hearers. They receive the word with readiness, but they fail of assimilating its principles. Its influence is not abiding. The Spirit works upon man's heart, according to his desire and consent implanting in him a new nature; but the class represented by the foolish virgins have been content with a superficial work. They do not know God. They have not studied His character; they have not held communion with Him; therefore they do not know how to trust, how to look and live. Their service to God degenerates into a form. "They come unto thee as the people cometh, and they sit before thee as My people, and they hear thy words, but they will not do them; for with their mouth they show much love, but their heart goeth after their covetousness." Eze. 33:31. The apostle Paul points out that this will be the special characteristic of those who live just before Christ's second coming. He says, "In the last days perilous times shall come: for men shall be lovers of their own selves; . . . lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof." 2 Tim. 3:1-5.

This is the class that in time of peril are found crying, Peace and safety. They lull their hearts into security, and dream not of danger. When startled from their lethargy, they discern their destitution, and entreat others to supply their lack; but in spiritual things no man can make up another's deficiency. The grace of God has been freely offered to every soul. The message of the gospel has been heralded, "Let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely." Rev. 22:17. But character is not transferable. No man can believe for another. No man can receive the Spirit for another. No man can impart to another the character which is the fruit of the Spirit's working. "Though Noah, Daniel, and Job were in it [the land], as I live, saith the Lord God, they shall deliver neither son nor daughter; they shall but deliver their own souls by their righteousness." Eze. 14:20. 

It is in a crisis that character is revealed. When the earnest voice proclaimed at midnight, "Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him," and the sleeping virgins were roused from their slumbers, it was seen who had made preparation for the event. Both parties were taken unawares; but one was prepared for the emergency, and the other was found without preparation. So now, a sudden and unlooked-for calamity, something that brings the soul face to face with death, will show whether there is any real faith in the promises of God. It will show whether the soul is sustained by grace. The great final test comes at the close of human probation, when it will be too late for the soul's need to be supplied.

These little paragraphs explain much of the workings of the Gospel - as well as last day events we have studied for years. Many will run to and fro looking, but will not be able to find.

How are those professing to be a part of the remnant church any different from the foolish virgins who represent a class from fallen churches who will cry "Peace and Safety"?

Is there a difference?

Will the professors from the remnant stand more condemned than those who are part and parcel of Babylon?

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2007, 08:08:53 AM »
More on the plight of the foolish virgins:

The ten virgins are watching in the evening of this earth's history. All claim to be Christians. All have a call, a name, a lamp, and all profess to be doing God's service. All apparently wait for Christ's appearing. But five are unready. Five will be found surprised, dismayed, outside the banquet hall. 

At the final day, many will claim admission to Christ's kingdom, saying, "We have eaten and drunk in Thy presence, and Thou hast taught in our streets." "Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name? and in Thy name have cast out devils? and in Thy name done many wonderful works?" But the answer is, "I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from Me." Luke 13:26; Matt. 7:22; Luke 13:27. In this life they have not entered into fellowship with Christ; therefore they know not the language of heaven, they are strangers to its joy. "What man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God." 1 Cor. 2:11. 

Saddest of all words that ever fell on mortal ear are those words of doom, "I know you not." The fellowship of the Spirit, which you have slighted, could alone make you one with the joyous throng at the marriage feast. In that scene you cannot participate. Its light would fall on blinded eyes, its melody upon deaf ears. Its love and joy could awake no chord of gladness in the world-benumbed heart. You are shut out from heaven by your own unfitness for its companionship. 

We cannot be ready to meet the Lord by waking when the cry is heard, "Behold, the Bridegroom!" and then gathering up our empty lamps to have them replenished. We cannot keep Christ apart from our lives here, and yet be fitted for His companionship in heaven. 

Greg Goodchild

• http://
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2007, 08:48:07 AM »
Amen, good study. The reason for both the wise and foolish virgins wearing the white robes is that both have claimed to be covered in the righteousness of Jesus. Both parties claim that they are Christians. The IJ is the device that clarifies the differences between the two camps. One group are true Christians and one group are nice people in Lambs clothing. Crisis clarifies the two groups.

This reminds me of an IJ experience in I KIngs 3:16-27. Solomon conducts an IJ on the two harlots who claim to be God-fearing mothers. One is false and one is true and only the crisis clarifies the decision. In I Kings 3:28 Solomon, the type of Jesus and the true IJ, is feared and the people knew that the wisdom of God was in him to do judgment. Both parables are stories of the IJ. One focuses on the wedding garments, and one focuses on the oil. Both are necessary components of the IJ.

But the messenger of the Lord says that there is a third parable that must be studies in the IJ scenario and that is the cleansing of the sons of Levi in Malachi 3:1-6. When we have all three studies and abosrbed into our lives then we will be prepared for the IJ and we will come through it in the name of Jesus for we are perfect only in His comeliness. Ezekiel 16:14