Author Topic: Warning! Don't Put All Your Trust In Telephone Tech Support  (Read 2575 times)

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
Warning! Don't Put All Your Trust In Telephone Tech Support
« on: December 18, 2007, 06:01:20 PM »
I had a major malfunction today. My computer is a Dell Dimension that I got in March (07). I opened Dell Information Alerts and found that I could download some new drivers for the Nvidia graphics card. So I did. Wrong, very wrong, move!!! When the computer rebooted to finish installation, I got the dreaded blue screen of death, not once but every time I rebooted. I couldn't even boot into safe mode. It would crash, not matter what mode I tried to boot into. I could never get to "system restore". I finally called Dell tech support. I was on the phone with him (he was a nice guy) but in the end he didn't seem to know too much. He walked me through a number of attempts to boot and restore, but it would crash, stay on the blue screen of death for several minutes, the begin to reboot. 

He finally told me that I would need to restore from the disk and would lose all my files. But I could get a cheap hard drive, install it, and put the other drive in a box that would make it an external hard drive. Then I could access my data and save it to the cheap hard drive, then restore the original drive. He told me how to do the reinstall, then hung up. I was on the phone for 87 minutes with tech support. I got the phone book, called a couple of places about making my hard drive a slave drive and then copying the data to some DVDs for me. The second place I called asked me some questions after I explained what I wanted. We talked for a bit, and I knew that this was someone who knew computers. I had just enough time to get the computer to his place before he closed. When I got there, he started the computer up, and, to make the story short, 30 minutes later, my computer has restored, working like it had before I decided to update those drivers.

The longer story is that the Dell tech simply wasn't knowledgeable enough about Vista and how to get to a "system restore" dialog. It took the local computer guru only a few minutes to find the place (hitting F8 repeatedly while booting) where he could get the computer to restore. I had seen the "restore my computer" on the F8 menu while going through everything with the Dell tech, but he wouldn't have me try that. I'm not even sure that he knew it was there. But that was what was needed. By booting up from that command, it brought up a dialog box of options on the welcome screen that included "system restore" and from there he was able to get the computer back to normal.

Now, about that Nvidia card. Seems I don't have one at all, though I thought I did. Seems my graphics is a chip set on the motherboard. I didn't need to download any drivers. I am getting rid of the Dell thing. And from now on when I run into trouble I will look up a local computer guru and forget Dell support.

For those Vista users out there, you can do a system restore, even if you are getting the dreaded blue screen of death. But don't depend on the telephone support tech to be able to tell you.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

asygo

Re: Warning! Don't Put All Your Trust In Telephone Tech Support
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 07:40:44 PM »
Good to hear the happy ending. But if you're running Vista, you're half-way to death already. ;)

I must agree that phone tech support is not very reliable. Too many techs just work off a flowchart, where most things seem to point to the "erase everything; restore from CD" option.

My most recent bout with tech support was when I lost my Internet connection. When I finally got a tech on the phone, he started down his script. After about 5 minutes of him saying, "do this to your computer..." and me answering "I already did that..." he sent it up to his manager. Then his manager immediately told me that the network was down in my area and they were already working on it.

This might sound bad, but I've been a tech support manager so I have an idea what goes on - most first-level tech support guys don't really know what's going on because the ones who know what's going on are usually moved to a more important position. If you want real solutions, look for that guy who's always tinkering with his computer, defragging every night, and wants your old throw-away computer because he can always put Linux on it and use it as a server. Those guys know how to make broken computers run.
By God's grace,
Arnold M. Sy Go
-end-

Dalfie

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 07:50:59 PM »
But don't depend on the telephone support tech to be able to tell you.

Exactly.... Its a P.I.C.N.I.C.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 03:34:51 PM »
That would be:

Person In Chair Not In Computer ??? :D

You computer geeks - you can speak among yourselves and we would never know the difference! Just don't hold our ignorance against us!  :P
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Dalfie

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 03:50:03 PM »
Problem in Chair, not in computer.....

Of course, I can see how it could be reversible!