Author Topic: Crude Oil Prices  (Read 91254 times)

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Re: Crude Oil Prices
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2008, 04:35:54 AM »
Wally - heating a little church with wood might be a good alternative. A cord of wood lasts me one month and the cost of a cord here is $185. That is inexpensive heat even if there are several meetings throughout the week. Maybe turning down the thermostat to 40 to keep the water pipes from freezing and supplementing it with wood fires would work. Just a suggestion. 

Nice idea, but our building, though sparsely populated on Sabbath, was built to seat over 100 people.  We'd need an enormous stove.  We'd also need an different chimney.  It's illegal in this State to have both wood and oil on the same chimney.  And, our insurance company wouldn't allow us to heat with wood, either.

Thanks for trying. :)

We will, however, turn the upstairs thermostat way down, and that will make a big difference.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 08:49:17 PM »
In October Richard said:

Expect higher costs of everything.
You are a prophet.

The Amish appear to have the right idea about the cost of transportation: feeding/vet for horses and fabulous old buggies! Who's laughing now at those strange people in black clothes who refused, on principle, to join "modern" America?
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Linda K

• Wordkeeping
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 07:59:30 AM »
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3340274697167011147&hl=en

This amazing video will explain why oil prices are so high. It's worth the watch.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 02:59:51 PM »
Ever pray for someone to lose money in their investments?  I have thought about it!  Many people are being hurt by the high cost of oil.  Investors have made fortunes in the last few years at the expense of others. I am waiting for the oil speculators to lose.  Don't know when it will happen, but it will.

Today:  Oil prices fell harder than they have in 17 years Tuesday, as fears that record fuel prices are spreading broad economic pain exacerbated the third big sell-off in just over a week.

We can hope it will fall more, but you just can't know. Whatever happens, we know that all things work together for good to those who love the Lord!  :)
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2008, 06:36:56 PM »
I filled up today. $4.21/gallon. The pump stopped at $75 and would not give me more. This has happened the last two fillups.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2008, 07:31:41 PM »
I read that also today that oil prices fell. But at the pump gas prices increased by about 12 cents today.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Sister Dee

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2008, 08:06:05 PM »
I filled up today. $4.21/gallon. The pump stopped at $75 and would not give me more. This has happened the last two fillups.

Is that for regular unleaded?  That's crazy!  Down here the highest I've seen is $3.99.  Maybe they're more afraid to actually hit the $4.00 mark out this way. 

Last week we went to fill up our van before going out of town and the pump stopped at $75 for us, too.  We had to go down the street to finish filling up.  I don't get it.  But, there is one station in town that will only let you have $48!  At least that's what it was the last time we were there. 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2008, 08:17:31 PM »
So, I am utterly naive in these matters - why is gasoline being limited per tank? Are they attempting to get us accustomed to "limits"?

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2008, 08:21:23 PM »
Maybe it's the pumps. Remember the oil crisis in the 70's? Most of the pumps stopped at 99 cents. They had to be replaced or reconfigured. Maybe some pumps were set to not go over $75.00 thought it would seem they should go to $99.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2008, 04:16:36 AM »

Solution:  small car that only holds 50-60 dollars worth (which would have been 25-30 dollars a few years ago  :().  That will work until the gas goes to $8.00 a gallon; then you just fill up when you get to a half a tank.  I know, there's always a wise guy in the crowd. ::)

We're paying $4.07-$4.15 around here for the most part, but I haven't heard about any problems with the pumps stopping at a certain dollar figure.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2008, 06:52:31 AM »
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3340274697167011147&hl=en

This amazing video will explain why oil prices are so high. It's worth the watch.

It is quite amazing, Linda.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2008, 09:24:31 AM »
NEW YORK - Oil prices tumbled today, extending a massive sell-off the previous day, after the government reported that U.S. crude and gasoline supplies unexpectedly jumped last week. Light, sweet crude for August delivery fell $5.10 at $133.64 a barrel in morning trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange. The two-day slide marks a dramatic turnaround in crude prices, which as recently as Friday traded at record levels above $147 a barrel. But even with this week's sell-off, prices remain about 80 percent above where they were a year ago and up about 40 percent from the start of the year.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2008, 01:28:06 PM »
NEW YORK - Oil prices tumbled today, extending a massive sell-off the previous day, after the government reported that U.S. crude and gasoline supplies unexpectedly jumped last week. Light, sweet crude for August delivery fell $5.10 at $133.64 a barrel in morning trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange. The two-day slide marks a dramatic turnaround in crude prices, which as recently as Friday traded at record levels above $147 a barrel. But even with this week's sell-off, prices remain about 80 percent above where they were a year ago and up about 40 percent from the start of the year.

Hold on to your seats, I don't think the roller coaster ride is over--hurricane season is not really in full swing, yet.  Remember Katrina?  That brief flirtation with $3.50/gallon gas sounds pretty good right now.

Sister Dee

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2008, 03:00:24 PM »

Solution:  small car that only holds 50-60 dollars worth (which would have been 25-30 dollars a few years ago  :().  That will work until the gas goes to $8.00 a gallon; then you just fill up when you get to a half a tank.  I know, there's always a wise guy in the crowd. ::)

Well, for us that wouldn't work.  One of us would have to stay home!  I guess I could just let my dear husband take the four kids and leave me behind.   ;D   :D  Now, isn't that noble of me?   ;)

I suppose though that we could just do as you say and fill up when we get to half a tank.  We usually don't fill it up though; just when we take the rare trip. 

After thinking about the $75 limit, I sort of concluded that we might be getting conditioned for gas rationing, too. 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2008, 12:34:11 PM »
Prayer works.  Some may not have noticed :) , but gas prices continue to fall.  Some who got rich at the expense of others may now be losing some money (those who speculated on higher prices).

Others can still afford for prices on oil to drop another $40 a barrel and gas can go back to $2 a gal.  :)  Well, we can hope. The economy is still sinking and oil will continue to fall in response. Let us keep the gas consumption down and this will help to drive the price back down. I parked my truck last year and have driven it twice. Diesel  got up to $5 gal.  They can keep their diesel! 

At the pump, a gallon of regular slid less than a penny overnight to a new national average of $3.678, according to auto club AAA, the Oil Price Information Service and Wright Express. Prices remain well above the year-ago average of about $2.792 a gallon but have fallen more than 10 percent from the July 17 record average of $4.114 a gallon.
  source

This winter will be painful for many who have to heat their homes (most of us).  By reducing our consumption of gas, the pressure is on to get us to buy.  The Dems want us to not use gas and oil and nuclear and hydro and want us in buses and in the cities. The Republicans want to allow Standard Oil to buy Exxon Mobile, Texaco, and BP.  So, we find ourselves looking unto Jesus for our help!!  He will not disappoint us. He will soon come and take us away from this corrupt world!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2008, 12:38:40 PM »
Oil fell to under $100 a barrel today!  Light, sweet crude for October delivery fell $5.47 to settle at $95.71 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange — oil's first settlement under $100 since March 4.

Some speculators have lost a lot of money. It will happen again.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2008, 12:42:41 PM »
Oil fell to under $100 a barrel today!  Light, sweet crude for October delivery fell $5.47 to settle at $95.71 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange — oil's first settlement under $100 since March 4.

Some speculators have lost a lot of money. It will happen again.

Interesting that oil prices are falling, in spite of an active hurricane season--exactly the opposite of what happened after Katrina.  Can't say that I have a whole lot of sympathy for speculators.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2008, 12:58:35 PM »
Because their speculations caused the rise of oil and hurt so many people, I hope they lose a lot of money. It will cause others to consider the foolishness of being so selfish to want to make money by not working. Gambling is gambling and it causes a lot of pain for those who do it.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2008, 09:31:30 PM »
Oil prices briefly spiked more than $25 a barrel Monday, shattering the record for the biggest one-day gain.  Light, sweet crude for October delivery jumped as much as $25.45 to $130 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange before falling back to settle at $120.92, up $16.37.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2008, 07:52:16 AM »
Oil prices briefly spiked more than $25 a barrel Monday, shattering the record for the biggest one-day gain.  Light, sweet crude for October delivery jumped as much as $25.45 to $130 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange before falling back to settle at $120.92, up $16.37.

And are back to $107 today.  Enjoy the roller coaster ride.  I saw gas for $3.49 on my way to work this morning.  That's the cheapest I've seen it since before July.