Author Topic: Global Warming?  (Read 37317 times)

Cop

Re: Global Warming?
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2017, 06:55:51 AM »
Climate Alarmists Caught Faking Sea Level Rise
[Excerpts]

Alarmist scientists have been caught red-handed tampering with raw data in order to exaggerate sea level rise.
The raw (unadjusted) data from three Indian Ocean gauges – Aden, Karachi and Mumbai – showed that local sea level trends in the last 140 years had been very gently rising, neutral or negative (ie sea levels had fallen).

But after the evidence had been adjusted by tidal records gatekeepers at the global databank Permanent Service for Mean Sea Level (PSMSL) it suddenly showed a sharp and dramatic rise.

Kenneth Richard at No Tricks Zone reports:
The authors expose how PSMSL  data-adjusters make it appear that stable sea levels can be rendered to look like they are nonetheless rising at an accelerated pace.
The data-adjusters take misaligned and incomplete sea level data from tide gauges that show no sea level rise (or even a falling trend).  Then, they subjectively and arbitrarily cobble them together, or realign them.   In each case assessed, PSMSL data-adjusters lower the earlier misaligned rates and raise the more recent measurements.  By doing so, they concoct a new linearly-rising trend.

So there is nothing per se wrong with PSMSL making adjustments in order to make the different datasets align.
What is wrong is the way that the scientists at PSMSL have adjusted them. In every case, they have revised them in order to make them produce a sharp upward trend in sea level rise – despite the fact that global records do not support this.

The truth, Parker and Ollier conclude in their paper, is that sea level has changed very little in the three sites examined:
The reconstructed tide gauge records of Aden, Mumbai and Karachi are perfectly consistent with multiple lines of evidence from other key sites of the Indian Ocean including Qatar, Maldives, Bangladesh and Visakhapatnam. The sea levels have been stable since the start of the twentieth century in Aden similar to Karachi and Mumbai.

More @: http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/12/06/tidalgate-climate-alarmists-caught-faking-sea-level-rise/
My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me....That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."
— Stonewall Jackson

Cop

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2017, 07:21:14 AM »
New Book Encourages Kids To Throw ‘Tantrums’ To Stop Global Warming
[Excerpts]

An Australian author and noted climate scientist are asking for donations to publish a children’s book that “explains climate change to kids and empowers them to act” and is also carbon neutral, according to their KickStarter page.

The children’s book, “The Tantrum That Saved The World,” encourages kids to become global warming activists.

Author Megan Herbert and scientist Michael Mann want to publish a children’s book that tells a “story about a little girl who comes face to face with an enormous challenge, feels all kinds of frustration as she tries to overcome it, and then channels those strong emotions into action, rallying all those around her to do the same,” the authors wrote on KickStarter.

In a promotional video, Herbert said that while parents should ordinarily discourage kids from throwing tantrums, “these are not ordinary times.”

“This is the one time we should encourage our kids to make a bit of noise,” Herbert said. “They didn’t create this mess, and they have every right to be upset about it.” She added that those emotions should be channeled into “positive actions.”

More @: http://dailycaller.com/2017/10/13/new-book-encourages-kids-to-throw-tantrums-to-stop-global-warming/
My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me....That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."
— Stonewall Jackson

Cop

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2018, 02:57:44 AM »
Report Says Earth Will Become Desert W/out Paris Deal
[Excerpts]

A huge swath of the planet could turn into a desert if the international community doesn’t meet the goals of the Paris climate change agreement, climate researchers claim in their newest warning about global warming.

The new report, published Monday in the journal Nature Climate Change, holds that an increase of 2 degrees Celsius in the Earth’s temperature by 2050 would plunge more than 25 percent of the world’s population into a perpetual state of drought and growing desertification, as reported by the Washington Examiner.

The answer, according to the researchers, is to stop the planet’s temperature from rising by more than 1.5 degrees Celsius, which they say would significantly reduce the number of regions affected by the drying of the planet, or “aridification.”

“Our research predicts that aridification would emerge over about 20-30 percent of the world’s land surface by the time the global mean temperature change reaches 2 degrees Celsius,” said Manoj Joshi, lead researcher from the U.K.’s University of East Anglia. “But two-thirds of the affected regions could avoid significant aridification if warming is limited to 1.5 degrees Celsius.”

The University of East Anglia has been a center of activism on the issue of “global warming” for many years, repeatedly issuing reports that the earth’s temperatures are rising, and humans are to blame, and the results will be catastrophic.

This study comes in the midst of a cold spell that has caused record-breaking low temperatures across most of the United States. The East coast, South, Midwest and Great Plains have all been blasted by this cold air, with daily low temperatures falling below 0 degrees Fahrenheit in many areas.

It was only a few day earlier that a new report from Kenneth Richard at NoTricksZone revealed a list of studies that are forecasting global cooling.

Richard compiled a list of multiple studies from the past few years drawing the same conclusion: It’s the sun’s activities that have a huge influence on whether earth’s temperatures vary. Thirteen forecast global cooling.

Richard explained: “It has been increasingly established that low solar activity (few sunspots) and increased cloud cover (as modulated by cosmic rays) are highly associated with a cooling climate. In recent years, the earth has unfortunately left a period of very high solar activity, the Modern Grand Maximum. Periods of high solar activity correspond to multi-decadal- to centennial-scale warming.”

In fact, over the last century America’s major media have predicted an impending global climate crisis four different times – each prediction warning that entire countries would be wiped out or that lower crop yields would mean “billions will die.” In 1895, the panic was over an imminent ice age. Later, in the late 1920s, when the earth’s surface warmed less than half a degree, the media jumped on a new threat – global warming, which continued into the late 1950s. Then in 1975, the New York Times’ headline blared, “A Major Cooling Widely Considered to Be Inevitable.” Then in 1981 it was back to global warming, with the Times quoting seven government atmospheric scientists who predicted global warming of an “almost unprecedented magnitude.”

Today, to cover all their bases, much of the press has changed its terminology from “global warming” to “climate change” or “climate catastrophe.” That way they’re covered either way.

Much more @: http://mobile.wnd.com/2018/01/report-claim-earth-could-become-desert-without-paris-deal/
— Stonewall Jackson

Cop

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2018, 03:04:42 AM »
Al Gore: ‘Bitter cold’ is ‘exactly what we should expect from the climate crisis’
[Excerpts]

Former Vice President Al Gore has weighed in on the record cold and snow in the U.S. “It’s bitter cold in parts of the US, but climate scientist Dr. Michael Mann explains that’s exactly what we should expect from the climate crisis,” Gore wrote on January 4 on Twitter.

Gore linked to one of his organizations’ articles on the brutal winter weather written by Climategate professor Michael Mann: The Climate Reality Project: A ‘PERFECT STORM’: EXTREME WINTER WEATHER, BITTER COLD, AND CLIMATE CHANGE

In the Gore touted article, Mann linked the cold and “lots of snow” to “climate change.”

Gore’s Oscar-winning documentary An Inconvenient Truth did not warn of record cold and increasing snowfalls as a consequence of man-made global warming. And as recently as 2009, Gore was hyping the lack of snow as evidence for man-made global warming.

But as the snow piled up, the climate change claims were adjusted and cold and snow were added to the list of things caused by “global warming.

Predictions of less snow and less severe winters were hammered into the public by global warming scientists. But once that predictions failed to come true, the opposite of what they predicted instead became—what they expected.

If “climate change” is causing record cold and snow, then it would stand to reason that Gore is suggesting that if the U.S. had ratified the UN’s Kyoto Protocol treaty on “global warming” back in the 1990’s — the winter of 2018 would have been warmer?

Reality Check: But scientists are not buying the claims of Gore and Mann and others linking the record cold and snow to “global warming.”

‘Insanity…It’s Witchcraft’ – Meteorologist Joe Bastardi on claims that cold & snow caused by ‘global warming’ – WeatherBell Meteorologist Joe Bastardi on January 4, 2018: “This is flat out insanity and deception now To tell the public that events that have occurred countless times before with no climate change attribution, is now just that, is not science, its witchcraft. NO PROOF AT ALL. Its climate ambulance chasing, nothing more.”

Bastardi added: “This has happened countless times before and it wasn’t global warming then and is not now. Solid use of past patterns predicted major early cold from OCTOBER! I have tweeted that dozens of times showing the analog years I used, No co2 then.”

Climatologist Dr. Roger Pielke Sr. also weighed in, explaining: “For those who claim USA/Canada nor’easter is stronger because of ‘global warming’, they apparently do not realize that it’s so strong because of especially strong horizontal temperature gradient in troposphere. It ‘bombed’ because of usually cold air!”

More @: http://www.climatedepot.com/2018/01/04/al-gore-bitter-cold-is-exactly-what-we-should-expect-from-the-climate-crisis/
— Stonewall Jackson

Cop

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2018, 03:15:22 AM »
STUDY: Worst-Case Global Warming Scenarios Not Credible
[Excerpts]

Earth's surface will almost certainly not warm up four or five degrees Celsius by 2100, according to a study released Wednesday which, if correct, voids worst-case UN climate change predictions.

A revised calculation of how greenhouse gases drive up the planet's temperature reduces the range of possible end-of-century outcomes by more than half, researchers said in the report, published in the journal Nature.

"Our study all but rules out very low and very high climate sensitivities," said lead author Peter Cox, a professor at the University of Exeter.

"These scientists have produced a more accurate estimate of how the planet will respond to increasing CO2 levels," said Piers Forster, director of the Priestley International Centre for Climate at the University of Leeds.

Up to now, attempts to narrow down the elusive equilibrium climate sensitivity have focused on the historical temperature record.

Cox and colleagues instead "considered the year-to-year fluctuations in global temperature," said Richard Allan, a climate scientist at the University of Reading.

By analysing the responsiveness of short-term changes in temperature to "nudges and bumps" in the climate system, he explained, they were able to exclude the outcomes that would have resulted in devastating increases of 4 C or more by 2100.

More @: https://www.yahoo.com/news/worst-case-global-warming-scenarios-not-credible-study-210401411.html
— Stonewall Jackson

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2018, 03:03:04 AM »
Al Gore: ‘Bitter cold’ is ‘exactly what we should expect from the climate crisis’

WeatherBell Meteorologist Joe Bastardi on January 4, 2018: “This is flat out insanity and deception now To tell the public that events that have occurred countless times before with no climate change attribution, is now just that, is not science, its witchcraft. NO PROOF AT ALL.

If every weather event we get is a result of "global warming," the whole thing becomes nonsensical.  Who can refute their claims?  It's beyond ridiculous.  People should listen to Joe Bastardi.  He's an expert meteorologist.  He used to work for Accuweather.

Of more immediate concern (according to a "gloom & doom" report on NPR yesterday), is the "resurrection" of "ancient" bacteria in the arctic, brought back to life (they were never really dead, of course) by the melting of the permafrost.  :o  According to the report, these bacteria are 25,000 years old, and who knows what havoc they could wreak.  How about they're only about 4000 years old, and aren't much different from today's bacteria?

Source
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2018, 03:07:36 AM »
Report Says Earth Will Become Desert W/out Paris Deal
[Excerpts]

A huge swath of the planet could turn into a desert if the international community doesn’t meet the goals of the Paris climate change agreement, climate researchers claim in their newest warning about global warming.

I don't see how anyone living in Maine (or Siberia) could take that claim seriously.  A warmer climate produces more evaporation, which puts more moisture into the atmosphere.  What goes up must come down--in the form of rain or snow.  It all balances out.  Rainfall in various regions varies, of course, and there are floods and droughts, but desertification on a broad scale is just "Chicken Little" nonsense.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Cop

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2018, 09:04:39 AM »
Scientists Buried in Snow While Lecturing on Global Warming
[Excerpts]

Scientists have once again set up a mock Arctic base camp to educate world leaders about man-made global warming at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.
Climate scientists hope their mock camp illustrates how global warming could impact the Arctic, but the “Gore effect” may make it harder to get the message across. Davos has seen frigid temperatures along with about six feet of snow in the last six days.

There was so much snow, authorities evacuated some neighborhoods due to avalanche concerns, CNBC reported. Global elites headed to the conference had to force their way through heavy snow drifts.

CNBC reported that “heavy snow had already blocked the rail line through the Alps from Zurich, and villages along the route were at the highest level of avalanche alert.” Davos visitors were forced off trains and onto “a half-hour bus trip on back roads around the blockage and then loading them onto a crowded red commuter train that ran the rest of the way into Davos.”

Source: http://dailycaller.com/2018/01/23/davos-scientists-snow-switzerland-world-economic-forum/
— Stonewall Jackson

Cop

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2018, 09:11:37 AM »
Al Gore would have lost global warming bet, academic says
[Excerpts]

In 2007, Professor Scott Armstrong at the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton business school challenged Al Gore to a $10,000 bet about temperatures over the next decade. Fox News reported on the challenge at the time.

The bet proposal was to compare the U.N.’s standard global warming model against Armstrong’s prediction of no increase at all. The money would have gone to charity.

Gore declined the bet. According to Armstrong, a Gore spokesman said that, “Mr. Gore simply does not wish to participate in a financial wager.”
Now, 10 years after the offer, Armstrong is declaring victory, albeit a moral one.

rom the would-be bet period of 2008 through the end of 2017, Armstrong’s prediction of zero temperature change was more accurate in more months than the standard U.N. model, which predicts an increase in temperatures.

But the bet result comes with the caveat that, in the last two years, warming has been high. In those years, the U.N. model’s prediction was most accurate. But overall across the whole decade, Armstrong's "no change" model edged out the U.N. model that Gore relies on.

Armstrong is a marketing professor, but says that he focuses on forecasting methods. He often predicts things like automobile sales.

“I've been doing forecasting research for 40 years, and heard about the global warming movement... it took about a week to find that this is a propaganda campaign. It's just a mass hysteria”

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/01/26/al-gore-would-have-lost-global-warming-bet-academic-says.html
— Stonewall Jackson

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2018, 03:36:02 PM »
And now comes this report that the sun may start a cooling trend.  Of course the sun has nothing whatsoever to do with "climate change."  And, of course, they claim that it won't stop "global warming."  When the reference the 17th century as an example, I'm ready to move to Florida, or maybe Costa Rica.  Of course, if it waits until 2050, I'll either be too old to care, or dead, or in heaven, preferably the latter.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5373497/Scientists-warn-sun-unusually-cool-2050.html

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/space/our-sun-is-about-to-get-unusually-cool-researchers-predict/news-story/dea38cc09657428b5d6f4dbd97b8d97b

Cop

« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2018, 08:22:40 AM »
Climate Change Saves Tuvalu 
[Excerpts]

(Tuvalu is the island nation that we have been repeatedly told is sinking beneath the sea)

It seems like it happens every week. Another conventional wisdom shot to smithereens. This time it's the island nation Tuvalu, the famous "sinking" island, used for years as a rallying cry for action by climate-change alarmists.

But last week scientists at the University of Aukland published results in the journal Nature Communications that "challenge perceptions" of the smart set.

The study's introduction took a surprising turn:

"Sea-level rise and climatic change threaten the existence of atoll nations. Inundation and erosion are expected to render islands uninhabitable over the next century, forcing human migration. Here we present analysis of shoreline change in all 101 islands in the Pacific atoll nation of Tuvalu. Using remotely sensed data, change is analysed over the past four decades, a period when local sea level has risen at twice the global average (~3.90 ± 0.4 mm.yr−1). Results highlight a net increase in land area in Tuvalu of 73.5 ha (2.9%), despite sea-level rise, and land area increase in eight of nine atolls."

"In other words, Tuvalu has been growing this whole time. Over the past 40 years Tuvalu has added roughly 181 acres of new land—all while sea levels were rising at twice the global average."

In July 2011, the Times ran an opinion piece in entitled, "Life After Land." The editorial argued for a United Nations resolution to protect the people of Tuvalu once it "loses its permanent population and territory to rising seawater."

"If the international community cannot or will not slow global warming, the least it can do is help those states prepare for life after land by recognizing a new category of state—the deterritorialized state," the editorial stated.

More @: http://freebeacon.com/blog/climate-change-saves-tuvalu/
— Stonewall Jackson

Cop

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2018, 08:38:38 AM »
Anti-Fossil Fuel Groups Admit No Air Testing Conducted In Oklahoma Emissions Report
[Excerpts]

Two anti-fossil fuel groups who collaborated on a report released this month alleging improper emissions from oil and gas facilities in Oklahoma admitted last week that they did not collect corresponding air testing data to support their claims.

The Coalition for Oklahoma’s Renewable Energy (CORE), with assistance from national environmental group EarthWorks, issued a report calling attention to what it claimed were multiple instances of a “invisible oil spills” at Oklahoma oil and gas production facilities using “Forward-Looking Infrared” (FLIR) cameras.

When pressed by local news media, however, a spokeswoman for EarthWorks admitted the supposed camera evidence was not backed up by air quality data or any measurements substantiating claims that any substance, including methane, the report’s targeted emission, was conclusively documented in the report.

“It is the regulator’s job to do air testing to make sure that these sites are in compliance with state and national rules,” EarthWorks representative Hilary Lewis told the Times and Free Press. “Unfortunately, neither EarthWorks nor CORE has the resources to do air testing at all the oil and gas sites we visit.”

Lewis told the Times and Free Press that air quality tests that might quantify what the group claimed the infrared drone photography captured, such as methane or other pollutants, were not undertaken by the group in order to corroborate the assertions made in the report.

EarthWorks’ most recent Form 990 report shows receipts of just over $2.4 million for 2015.

Source: http://westernwire.net/anti-fossil-fuel-groups-admit-no-air-testing-conducted-in-oklahoma-emissions-report/

[In other words, 'We do not need proven facts...just trust us and believe we're telling you the truth!']
— Stonewall Jackson

Cop

« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2018, 09:08:03 AM »
Decline of Polar Bears is Fake News
[Excerpts]

A new report by the U.K.-based Global Warming Policy Foundation disproves the popular narrative that climate change is killing off the polar bear population.

The report was compiled by zoologist Dr. Susan Crockford, and says that although Arctic sea-ice has declined recently, the numbers of polar bears have remained stable and have actually increased slightly.

In one region where polar bear numbers have dropped, the reason isn't too little sea-ice, but too much of it.

"Ice levels during the key feeding period in Spring have been good, and prey species have been abundant. It's not really a surprise that polar bears are doing so well," Crockford said in a press release.

"The fearmongering from the media and the polar bear specialists is now backfiring," Crockford added. "They convinced the world that polar bears were doomed but the facts got out. Now would be a good time to set the story straight."

The report chastises media for over-hyping "scientifically insignificant events" to push global warming.

The Executive Summary includes the following points:

Global polar bear numbers have been stable or risen slightly since 2005, despite the fact that summer sea ice since 2007 hit levels not expected until mid-century: the predicted 67 percent decline in polar bear numbers did not occur.

Abundant prey and adequate sea ice in spring and early summer since 2007 appear to explain why global polar bear numbers have not declined, as might have been expected as a result of low summer sea ice levels.

The greatest change in sea ice habitat since 1979 was experienced by Barents Sea polar bears and the least by those in Southern Hudson Bay, the most southerly region inhabited by bears.

As far as is known, the record low extent of sea ice in March 2017 had no impact on polar bear health or survival.

Some studies show bears are lighter in weight than they were in the 1980s, but none showed an increase in the number of individuals starving to death or too thin to reproduce.

A just-released report of Southern Beaufort Sea bears having difficulty finding prey in 2014– 2016 suggests that the thick ice events that have impacted the region every ten years or so since the 1960s have continued despite reduced summer sea ice.

Claims of widespread hybridization of polar bears with grizzlies were disproven by DNA studies.

Overly pessimistic media responses to recent polar bear issues have made heartbreaking news out of scientifically insignificant events, suggesting an attempt is being made to restore the status of this failed global warming icon.

More @: https://www.utahstandardnews.com/study-decline-polar-bears-fake-news/
— Stonewall Jackson

Cop

« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2018, 08:34:15 AM »
Judge Lets Off Al Gore’s Trespassing Daughter Because Climate Protest was ‘Necessity’

A judge found 13 climate change activists, including Karenna Gore, the daughter of former Vice President Al Gore, not responsible for civil infractions related to trespassing, the Boston Herald reported.

“The people … were found not responsible by reason of necessity. The irony is that we are making ourselves responsible. We’re part of the movement that is standing up and saying we won’t let this go by on our watch. We won’t act like nothing’s wrong,” Karenna Gore said.

olice arrested Gore and about 200 other activists who protested the construction of a high pressure gas pipeline in West Roxbury, Massachusetts, the Independent reported.
Thirteen of the protesters climbed into the construction trench, were arrested, and were charged with criminal trespassing and disturbing the peace.

A week before trial, however, prosecutors asked that the court reduce the criminal charges to civil infractions.
Gore argued their protests constituted “reasonable necessity.”

It was “an act of civil disobedience to say it is necessary that we pay attention,” Gore said to the court. “Now is the time to pay attention and to change course is what is needed because it’s a moral and ethical issue.”

Gore and the other defendants shared their beliefs about climate change and why they had to protest the pipeline construction.

Judge Mary Ann Driscoll of West Roxbury District Court agreed that the defendants were not responsible because their actions were done “out of necessity.”
“Based on the very heartfelt expressions of the defendants who believe, and I don’t question their beliefs in any respect, who believe in their cause because they believe they were entitled to invoke the necessity defense, I’ll accept what they said,” Driscoll said.

Law experts said the case could serve as vital precedent about how the courts treat climate change protesters who break the law.

“It may well be the first of its kind in a case involving climate change, in that it’s a judicial recognition of the measures that we need to take to address climate change,” said Andrew Fischer, a lawyer for the defendants. “In that sense, it is a revolutionary step.”

Source: https://www.libertyheadlines.com/judge-lets-off-al-gores-trespassing-daughter-because-climate-protest-was-necessary/
— Stonewall Jackson

Cop

« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2018, 08:38:33 AM »
Lawyer Burns Himself to Death in NY to Protest Global Warming

) A “green” activist who was a pioneering lawyer for gay and transgender rights — including in the notorious “Boys Don’t Cry” rape murder case — committed suicide by setting himself on fire Saturday morning in Brooklyn’s Prospect Park in a grisly act of protest against the ecological destruction of the Earth.

David Buckel, 60, left behind a charred corpse and a typed suicide note that said he was burning himself to death using “fossil fuel” to reflect how mankind was likewise killing itself, police sources said.

He left the note in a manila envelope marked “To The Police,” recovered from inside a black metal pushcart he discarded at the scene.

“Most humans on the planet now breathe air made unhealthy by fossil fuels, and many die early deaths as a result,” Buckel wrote in his note, which he also sent to the New York Times.

“My early death by fossil fuel reflects what we are doing to ourselves.”

He added, “Honorable purpose in life invites honorable purpose in death.”
Passers-by were horrified to see Buckel’s burned remains.

“It was just lying there, on its back, knees slightly bent like someone would lie on the sand at the beach,” said Irena Ryjova, 44, a rollerblader who passed by at about 7 a.m., less than an hour after the immolation.

“It’s a shock; it’s a shame,” said mom Dana Lall as she shepherded a crowd of Catholic-school kids past the horrific scene, en route to a baseball game…

Source: https://nypost.com/2018/04/14/activist-lawyer-burned-himself-to-death-to-protest-global-warming/
— Stonewall Jackson

Cop

« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2018, 08:43:26 AM »
L.A. Paints Streets White to Fight ‘Climate Change’

Los Angeles officials are going forward with a $40,000-a-mile program to coat public streets to fight climate change, despite the city’s many financial challenges — including a $73 million budget shortfall for dealing with the ever-expanding homeless population.

The program uses a light-colored sealant to cover the streets, which decreases the pavement temperature of so-called “heat-islands,” according to media reports.

Fox News reported (original links):
“The LA Street Services began rolling out the project last May, which preliminary testing shows has reduced the temperature of roadways by up to 10 degrees.”
‘The project involves applying a light gray coating of the product CoolSeal, made by the company GuardTop.”

“CoolSeal is applied like conventional sealcoats to asphalt surfaces to protect and maintain the quality and longevity of the surface,” according to the company website. “While most cool pavements on the market are polymer based, CoolSeal is a water-based, asphalt emulsion.”

Last year, the L.A. Daily News reported on the high cost of the project — and that local officials approved it nonetheless.

“The morning temperature of the black asphalt in the middle of a nearby intersection read 93 degrees. The new light gray surface on Jordan Avenue read a cool 70 — on what would turn out to be the first heat wave of the year.”

“It’s awesome. It’s very cool — both literally and figuratively,” exclaimed Councilman Bob Blumenfield, whose Los Angeles district includes Canoga Park, squinting into the laser handheld thermometer. “We are trying to control ‘the heat island effect’ ” — or hotter temperatures caused by urban sprawl”…

Source: https://www.breitbart.com/california/2018/04/17/los-angeles-dishing-40000-mile-street-coating-fight-climate-change/

— Stonewall Jackson

Cop

« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2018, 08:48:19 AM »
Pope to Host Climate Change Mtg with Oil Producers

Pope Francis is hosting a gathering next week at the Vatican with executives of major oil producers and investment firms to talk about how the companies can address climate change, according to several people familiar with the event.

Why it matters: It’s one of the most significant developments showing how corporations are working with other world leaders on climate change amid President Trump’s whole-scale retreat on the issue.

Situational awareness: One year ago today, Trump announced his intention to withdraw America from the Paris climate deal, which now has support from every country except the United States. Three years ago, Pope Francis wrote his encyclical — a papal letter sent to all bishops of the Roman Catholic Church — on the importance of addressing climate change, a first in the church’s history…

The big picture: The Pope, BlackRock and big oil companies are increasingly focusing on climate change as cleaner sources of energy have become more competitive, the impacts of a warmer world have become more apparent, and public pressure to address the issue mounts. This meeting reflects this convergence.

The details: The focus of the gathering is similar to the encyclical (“On Care For Our Common Home”) with an emphasis on the energy transition of a “shared home,” according to people familiar with it. The event is occurring late next week, with two people saying the Pope is likely to talk Saturday.

The University of Notre Dame is helping convene it….

Source: https://www.axios.com/exclusive-pope-convenes-big-oil-investors-to-talk-climate-change-1527810398-44c1f3bb-37ed-4b98-a0a5-b6b65a3bffea.html

— Stonewall Jackson

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2018, 04:41:45 PM »
L.A. Paints Streets White to Fight ‘Climate Change’

And how much glare will be produced by these light colored roads?  I wonder if it will result in more accidents--a small price to pay, I'm sure, to protect "mother" earth.  ::)

Lawyer Burns Himself to Death in NY to Protest Global Warming

Thus contributing to "global warming."

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2018, 04:47:42 PM »

“The people … were found not responsible by reason of necessity. ” Karenna Gore said.

Will this be the argument used to avoid prosecuting those who may murder nonconformist Sabbath keepers right before the close of probation?

colporteur

« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2018, 06:55:49 PM »
Soon there will be global warming of untold proportion ( if you know what I mean) and they will not be able to stop it.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.