Author Topic: Daylight Savings Time Changes!!  (Read 5012 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Daylight Savings Time Changes!!
« on: November 04, 2007, 06:57:22 AM »
In many states the time changes today.  Has MS worked this out for us with our computers yet? Is it still a mysterious process to get it updated?  :(
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Daylight Savings Time Changes!!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 07:16:04 AM »
Mine has been reverting to the old date to "fall back" for about a week. So at this moment, I really do not know what time it is!  :D
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 07:18:26 AM »
At this moment, it is 8:17 a.m. Mountain Time - my last post showed 8:16 a.m. for Pacific time - so the forum has not "fallen back."

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 09:31:04 AM »
I forgot to set my alarm clock back last night, so I got up an hour earlier, which is good. :) We have two atomic clocks so they automatically switched last night. I reset the other clocks today. As for my computer, I see that it changed automatically. I suppose it's a Vista thing. On my old computer I had to disable automatic change when they changed the dates for the switch, then set the time change manually. That can be done by right clicking on the time in the taskbar.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 09:46:36 PM »
The last time change, my XP messed up and kept messing up!  :(  Today, I did nothing and it is just right!!  :)

We corrected the offset for the TRO time. So, now it ought to read correctly.  I may be wrong, but is there not an offset for each user to correct the time for each location?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 09:50:09 PM »
There is an offset for you Sister Sybil. Go to Look and Layout Preferences and you may set the offset for your time zone. No longer do you need to be tied to Pacific time!! :)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 05:26:40 AM »
I cannot believe it is already time to "fall back." My biological clock is amazingly accurate to spring to life at 6 A.M. and I was right on target this morning only to discover it was 5 A.M.  :o  Time is moving too quickly for this old woman! It will be a bit of a struggle to make that adjustment although I so appreciate the extra hour in the morning.

Sister Dee

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 11:00:20 AM »
A struggle, yes.  I need to convince four other little bodies that they don't need to come bouncing out so early!  I tried setting the clocks back early last evening and keeping them up later.   :D  It didn't quite work for all of them!   ::) 

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 01:01:30 PM »
I think DST is rediculous.  Some studies indicate that it saves no energy at all, and may even consume more.  So, instead of having my lights on later in the evening (during DST), I must have them on longer in the morning.  ::)  How does that save anything.  Typical goverment program.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Sister Dee

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 02:39:30 PM »
I wonder how folks ever got along before they came up with DST?   ::)

Lewis

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 02:42:10 PM »
I think DST is rediculous.  Some studies indicate that it saves no energy at all, and may even consume more.  So, instead of having my lights on later in the evening (during DST), I must have them on longer in the morning.  ::)  How does that save anything.  Typical goverment program.

Here something I found you might like to read Wally...

The practice is controversial.[1] Adding daylight to afternoons benefits retailing, sports, and other activities that exploit sunlight after working hours,[3] but causes problems for farming, evening entertainment and other occupations tied to the sun.[4][5] Traffic fatalities are reduced when there is extra afternoon daylight;[6] its effect on health and crime is less clear. Although an early goal of DST was to reduce evening usage of incandescent lighting, formerly a primary use of electricity,[7] modern heating and cooling usage patterns differ greatly, and research about how DST currently affects energy use is limited and often contradictory.[8]
  Source

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 05:53:22 PM »
Time "falls back" on November 6, Saturday night, or Sunday morning as the case may be. Here is something from Porter Hospital:

End of Daylight Savings Time and Sleep Disruptions
By Porter Adventist Hospital
Nov 3, 2010 - 12:25:43 PM

Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for our Ezine
For Email Marketing you can trust

Email this article
 Printer friendly page
(HealthNewsDigest.com) - DENVER (Nov. 3, 2010) – Even though we gain an hour for extra sleep on Saturday night, the change in daylight savings time can cause sleep disruptions for days or even weeks. And the effects on our health can be serious.

“Sleep is one of the key ingredients for a healthy lifestyle – but the truth is, most of us don’t get enough of it,” said Dr. Peter Riley, pulmonary, critical care physician and a sleep expert and medical director of the Sleep Disorders Center at Porter Adventist Hospital. “A lack of sleep can damage our health, increase stress, and reduce the concentration we need to perform in our daily lives.”

The four functions of sleep are rest, remember, recovery, and revive. Sleep helps our body to rest and to speed up the healing process when we are sick. We should feel revived when we are awakened. Also the saying, “I’ll sleep on it,” actually does work, as sleep help us to remember better.

Sleeping disorders are common, and can be as simple as our habits producing a poor night’s sleep, or even no night’s sleep. The most common sleeping problem is poor sleep hygiene, which has a lot to do with our routine – or lack thereof. Poor sleep hygiene includes going to bed too late, getting up too early, interrupted sleep due to medications, stress, family problems and work.

HealthNewsDigest.com

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 05:58:40 AM »
By changing our time to "daylight" time, we were helped to go to bed earlier which is what we need to do. The hours of sleep before midnight are more valuable. This is what ought to be instructed to people. When we were told it was 10pm, it was only 9pm.  So, unknowingly the world helped us to go to be earlier which helped us greatly to experience better lives.

Now the clock goes the other way. When we go to bed at 9pm, it is really 9pm.  Don't stay up until 10pm. :)

It is always a blessing to fly east.  When we cross time zones, I try very hard to stay on "my" time zone. This makes it very easy to go to bed early. So early that I have to be careful to not get up too early.

Follow this:  West Coast time is 7pm. East Coast time is 10pm.  My fellow workers are going to bed at 10 or 11pm. I am going to bed at 7 or 8pm.  :)  My friends are getting up at 7am, I am getting up not at 4am, but at 2am.   It makes it very easy when the sun is going down earlier than it would on the West Coast and the whole world around me is going to bed at 7pm my time!!! :)  

Another benefit of not going off of West Coast time? No jet lag!! None at all. Care must be taken to not get up too early. It would not be hard to get up at midnight if I went to bed at 7pm. That would make the work day, 19 hours.  But, the truth of the matter is that the hours of sleep before midnight are more valuable and the earlier we go to bed, the less sleep we need. This does not take into account those who are ill or are not living healthy lives. Eating wrong will create sleep problems that will offset the early to bed early to rise law of life.

For any who are having sleep problems, quit eating in the evening. Make your last meal in the afternoon. See if this does not improve the quality of your sleep. The body takes quite awhile to digest food. A late meal of cow or pig will take even longer to digest. The body is working hard and the mind is even effected so that the sleep is disrupted. Try it and let us know how it works for you. :)