Author Topic: God's Amazing "Grace"  (Read 13314 times)

Cop

Re: God's Amazing "Grace"
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2004, 08:06:00 PM »
Quote:
Ele Holmes
Dear Cop, How can you be a cop, living so close in the world of crime, drugs, sex, ugliness, and still have so much love for the Lord.
---------------------------------------------
John 1
16   And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.
17 ...grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

Only by His Grace...Only by His great and wonderful Grace!

------------------
Psalm 11:3

If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?

[This message has been edited by Cop (edited 10-02-2004).]

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2004, 06:41:00 AM »
God bless you Cop, God is with you.  You know that believing in Christ and receiving His TRANSFORMING GRACE is not guesswork, but a work which causes Christ's virtues to be reflected in mind and character.  You have gained this experience.  I too "have tasted and seen that the Lord is good. The Lord Jesus shall be my portion forever."

The power of the cross will move in you the mysterious springs of hope and fear, adoration, and love.  Angels are watching and waiting, and will witness to the fact that the world has you NOT.  Jesus has found you sitting at His feet to learn from Him, the Way, the Truth and the life.

The world fades from our view. The riches of the GRACE OF CHRIST hold us in willing obedience.  You are only too glad to impart to others the gift you have received.

I do not understand ICQ, cookies, UBB, HTML, homepage???

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2004, 09:08:00 AM »
Read this beautiful quote about GOD'S AMAZING GRACE by EGW from "The Faith I Live By" on page 139, called Conversion and the New Life.

"When the transforming GRACE of Christ is upon the heart, a righteous indignation will take possession of the soul because the sinner has so long neglected the great salvation that God has provided for him.

He will then surrender himself, BODY, SOUL, AND SPIRIT to God and will withdraw from companionship with Satan, through the GRACE given to him by God."   AMEN!

WHAT A GOD WE SERVE!  Through this transforming GRACE of Christ, the fruits of the Spirit are made manifest in our lives when we became dead in sins. In our words and actions we are seen to be partakers of the divine nature.  This wonderful GRACE was revealed to Paul, and he worked constantly that others might be brought to a knowledge of these saving truths also. Let us do the same.

Cop

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2004, 08:17:00 PM »
Quote:
"When the transforming GRACE of Christ is upon the heart, a righteous indignation will take possession of the soul because the sinner has so long neglected the great salvation that God has provided for him."

Amen!! This statement is so true. We are in the Day of Atonement and are told to search our hearts for sin. A few months ago, I was praying that Christ would continue to reveal my unconfessed sins. All at once, this quotation was fulfilled in me as He revealed all the wasted years of my life. He pointed out all the times, from a young child to now, that He had preserved my life, that He had spoken to my heart and tried to call me to Him. My heart broke again in seeing how often He tried to lead me in the right path, to direct my steps to serve Him, and how I time after time turned my back and refused Him. I killed Him. I murdered Him, but He willingly gave Himself for me. Oh, what mercy, what forgiveness! Oh, what love! I dwell on the depths of His love and know that it is truly unfathomable. Yet, I cannot comphrehend, "... what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;", of this devine love.

Every day I seek to spend several hours alone with my Lord in communion. The time I spend with Him is growing more and more wonderful as He opens new wonders to my heart every day. I awake with joy, my first thoughts of our Father, and look forward to the new things He will reveal to me that day. Some may be painful, as He reveals the deep wickedness in my heart, but then He gives me His mercy and joy, peace and great love washes over my soul. And often He reveals truths in His Word that I have never seen before for which I Praise Him! What a wonderful God we have! He gave EVERYTHING for us. What can we give to Him? All he asks of us is, "...give me thine heart," (Proverbs 23:26)

The Lord requires us to be submissive to His will, subdued by His Spirit, and sanctified to His service. Selfishness must be put away, and we must overcome every defect in our characters as Christ overcame. In order to accomplish this work, we must die daily to self. Said Paul: "I die daily." He had a new conversion every day, took an advance step toward heaven. To gain daily victories in the divine life is the only course that God approves. The Lord is gracious, of tender pity, and plenteous in mercy. He knows our needs and weaknesses, and He will help our infirmities if we only trust in Him and believe that He will bless us and do great things for us.{4T pg.66)

Consecrate yourself to God in the morning; make this your very first work. Let your prayer be, "Take me, O Lord, as wholly Thine. I lay all my plans at Thy feet. Use me today in Thy service. Abide with me, and let all my work be wrought in Thee." This is a daily matter. Each morning consecrate yourself to God for that day. Surrender all your plans to Him, to be carried out or given up as His providence shall indicate. Thus day by day you may be giving your life into the hands of God, and thus your life will be molded more and more after the life of Christ. {SC pg.70)

I guess I had better stop here or else many will begin to think I am a nut or a fanatic! God Bless...

------------------
Psalm 11:3

If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?

[This message has been edited by Cop (edited 10-10-2004).]

Cop

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2004, 11:04:00 AM »
I love to meditate on God’s Grace towards myself. What are we without God’s grace? What are we able to boast of without His grace? What hope have we without God’s grace? Without God’s grace, we are nothing, we have nothing to boast of in ourselves, and we have hope for nothing else than sure destruction. Why does God bestow His grace upon sinful, fallen, rebellious mankind? “Not for your sakes do I this, saith the Lord God, be it known unto you: be ashamed and confounded for your own ways, O house of Israel."—Ezekiel 36:32

All of mankind, even the best of Christians, finds in themselves a constant inclination to look to the power of the flesh, instead of looking to the power of God and Him alone. Holy Scripture repeatedly has to remind wicked, evil man of that which we never ought to forget, that salvation is God's work from first to last, and is not of man, nor by man. Continually we are tempted by the old error that we have to save ourselves, or that there is something we must do in the matter of our salvation. We are tempted to step aside from the simple act of our faith in the power of the Lord our God.

I have always enjoyed studying human nature. In my profession, I have sat and had many long conversations with many a convicted felon. Some are convicted of assaults in which the victim was seriously, or permanently, injured. Some convicted of rapes, even against innocent infants. And some convicted of horrible murders. The one thing I find, of these sorry excuses for humanity, is that they are no different than anyone else in their view of themselves. Each and every one, when I asked, all stated they believe they, “…have a good heart”, “…am a good person down deep”, “…a decent, good person”. Even though convicted of their evils by God, by man, and many times by their own confessions, all believe they are good, decent people. All mankind looks around themselves and, though they see those who are a ‘better’ person than they are, they can tear them down or find many who are a worse example of humanity.  So we begin to think that, maybe, we aren’t as wicked as God says we are. We are always tempted to think we are a better person than we truly are. We do not like to admit we are wrong, that we have gone the wrong way, that we are lost.

We begin to have a tendency to rely on our own merits, instead of the merits of Christ. Though there is no righteousness in any man, yet in every man there is a tendency to trust in some fancied merit. I have found that the worst characters have yet some virtue as they imagine, upon which they rely. They imagine they are ‘not as bad’ as an alcoholic, even though they are steadily cursing and swearing. Or the worst drunk will have pride in himself that he is, at least, honest. You will find men with no other virtue in the world, hold up for all to see, what they imagine to be a virtue…the fact that they do not profess to have any virtues; and they think themselves to be good decent men, because they have honesty or truthfulness enough to confess that they are utterly completely wicked, vile and evil. Contrary to what God says, Satan will always tempt us to believe we have something of good within us, that we have some merits of our own in which we can trust.

The verse quoted above (Ezekiel 36:32) clearly says, salvation is of God and Him alone. "NOT FOR YOUR SAKES DO I DO THIS." He says nothing about what we have done or can do. All the preceding and all the following verses speak of what God does. "I will take you from among the heathen." "I will sprinkle clean water upon you." "I will give you a new heart." "I will put my Spirit within you." It is all of God: therefore, remember that it is only for His glory that we have salvation and give up all dependence upon our own strength and power.

------------------
It is of little consequence how much we either hear or read from the Word of God, or how much we write upon the truth, unless we make the message our own, bring it into our life practice. We ourselves are to be sanctified through the truth. The message of salvation, the tidings we proclaim, concern our individual life and character and practice. We are to read the Word as written expressly for us, and practice the teachings of Christ for our own individual salvation. Then we shall be strong in the strength of the Mighty One. {6MR 182}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2004, 08:32:00 AM »
Amen!

It is sad that so many do not look to Jesus for their all. In Him they would find peace and joy and power to do what is right. That power comes from seeing His grace. It comes into the heart and then works from the inside out.

I like verse 32, Cop. It is present truth for God's church. It is a repeat of verse 22. These verses are speaking of the need to cleanse God's church. He will cleanse it from its filthiness. It is His perogative and His pleasure and well within His power to do so. And in verse 22 He tells why He will. "Thus saith the Lord; I do not this for your sakes, O house of Israel, but for mine holy names's sake, which ye have profaned among the heathen, whither ye went." Very sad indeed!

Verse 23 is rather profound in that God tells us how He intendes to remove the reproach brought upon Himself by His people.

"And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I am the Lord, saith the Lord God, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes."

This is such a beautiful promise for those of us who recognize the situation. It is God's grace, not our works that will do this mighty work in the church. How will it be seen by the heathen? They will see the good works in the church. They will see reflections of Christ in living bodies. They will see a change in those who have professed religion. They will see honest men, women, and children who live what they speak.

How will this come about? God's Spirit (clean water) will move upon His people and many will respond to His grace. Many will not and will be sifted out. Many more will come in to take their places. This day is just now approaching and then Jesus will come to take His bride home!

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2004, 06:17:00 AM »
"God's spirit will move upon His people...."  Amen Richard

Vital godliness is a principle to be cultivated.  The power of God can accomplish for us that which all the systems in the world cannot effect.  

The perfection of Christian character DEPENDS WHOLLY upon the grace and strength found alone in God. Without the power of grace upon the heart. assisting our efforts and sanctifying our labors, WE SHALL FAIL IN SAVING OUR OWN SOUL and of saving the souls of others.

System and order are highly essential, but none should receive the impression that these will do the work without the grace and power of God operating upon the mind and heart.  Heart and flesh would fail in the round of ceremonies, and in the carrying out of our plans, without the power of God to inspire and give courage to perform. AMEN
(Taken from 3T 188)

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2004, 06:39:00 AM »
GOD'S AMAZING GRACE is for sinners only,  sinners like myself, especially giving me the power to obey His law.

God does not use His grace to make His law of none effect, or to take the place of His law.  His grace and the law of His kingdom are in perfect harmony, they walk hand in hand.  His grace makes it possible for us to draw nigh to Him by faith.

By receiving His grace, and letting it work in our lives, we testify to the validity of the law, we exalt the law and make it honorable by carrying out its living principles through the power of the grace of Christ; and by rendering pure, whole-hearted obedience to God's law, we witness before the universe of heaven, and before an apostate world that is making void the law of God.
GOD'S AMAZING GRACE.....AMEN

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2004, 06:26:00 PM »
Amen!!

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2004, 06:40:00 AM »
Our Great Teacher, in His lessons, presents to us the life-diffusing power of His grace, declaring that through His grace men and women may live the new life of holiness and purity.  He who lives this life works out the principles of the kingdom of heaven.  Taught of God, we lead others in straight paths.  

The working of the Holy Spirit in our life shows that we are partakers of the divine nature.  Every soul thus worked receives so abundant a supply of the rich grace of heaven that, beholding his good works, unbelievers acknowledge that he is controlled and sustained by divine power. Taken from ST 06-28-05

The transforming power of Christ's grace will mold us when we give ourselves to God's service, for God is bound by an eternal pledge to supply power and grace to every one who yields himself to be sanctified by obedience in the truth.  Amen

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2004, 07:08:00 AM »
Even though we fall and fail in different ways, let us get up and walk with Him in every way! "Dear God, please give us the Grace and Power we need to be overcomers!"

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2004, 10:23:00 AM »
Amen! We must first see  we are sick before we can see our need of the Physician. Then, grace is ours in an over abundant supply. We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Cop

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2004, 08:20:00 AM »
Amen, Brother Richard! Self refuses to admit there is NOTHING of good within it. Self always clings to the deception that there exists something of worth within our corrupt lives. Self says that we only need for Christ to teach us how to better use what we already have within.

"...make the actions of each day a subject of careful thought and deliberate review, with the object of becoming better acquainted with their own habits of life. By a close scrutiny of every circumstance of the daily life, they would know better their own motives and the principles which govern them. This daily review of our acts, to see whether conscience approves or condemns, is necessary for all who wish to reach perfection of Christian character. Many acts which pass for good works, even deeds of benevolence, will, when closely investigated, be found to be prompted by wrong motives.

Many receive applause for virtues which they do not possess. The Searcher of hearts weighs the motives, and often deeds highly applauded by men are recorded by Him as springing from selfishness and base hypocrisy. Every act of our lives, whether excellent and praiseworthy, or deserving of censure, is judged by the Searcher of hearts according to the motives which prompted it.

Many neglect to look at themselves in the mirror which reveals the defects in the character; therefore deformity and sin exist, and are apparent to others, if not understood by those who are in fault. The hateful sin of selfishness exists to a great degree, even in some who profess to be devoted to the work of God. If they would compare their character with His requirements, especially with the great standard, God's holy law, they would ascertain, if earnest, honest searchers, that they are fearfully wanting. But some are not willing to look far enough or deep enough to see the depravity of their own hearts. They are wanting in very many respects, yet they remain in willing ignorance of their guilt. (GW 275)

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2004, 07:20:00 AM »
Cop, Your quote:  "Many neglect to look at themselves in the mirror which reveals the defects of character..... yet they remain in willing ignorance of their guilt...."

In S.S. this morning we read in Daniel, "THE TIME OF THE END", For Christ is at the door of the Most Holy Place.   Are we ready????

We will not be able to meet the trials of this time without God. We are not to have the courage and fortitude of martyrs of old UNTIL brought into the position they were in.

....We are to receive daily supplies of GRACE for each daily emergency. Thus we grow in GRACE and in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ, and if persecution comes upon us, if we must be enclosed in prison walls for the faith of Jesus and the keeping of God's holy law, "As thy days, so shall thy strength be." Should there be a return of persecution there would be GRACE given to arouse every energy of the soul to show a true heroism. But there is a large amount of nominal Christianity which has not
its origin in God, the Source of all power and might. God gives us not power to make us independent and self-sufficient. We must ever make God our ONLY DEPENDENCE
BC 1888 140

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2004, 08:24:00 AM »
Amen, Brother Cop and Sister Ele!

We are needy even if we don't know it. Without Christ abiding in the heart, we are wretched miserable and poor. Let us understand our continual need. Jesus will supply the grace which is power to act in harmony with His Spirit.  :)

Cop

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2004, 03:16:00 AM »
Quote:
"Are we ready????"
"While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept" (Matthew 25:5). Who have oil in their vessels with their lamps? Should the Saviour come at this time, would not many of us be afraid to meet Him? Could we hail Him with joy, saying, "Lo, this is our God; we have waited for Him, and He will save us" (Isaiah 25:9)? Are we ready for His appearing? Is the soul temple cleansed of its defilement? Would we want Christ to come and find us in disunion, in strife with one another? Would we want Christ to come and find us in frivolous amusements, in concerts which some patronize? We want to be found waiting and watching, with our garments made white and clean in the blood of the Lamb." Letter 29, 1882, pp. 5, 6. (To W. H. Edwards, June 14, 1882.)

Through out my career I have almost daily had to do investigations on the deaths of individuals. I have lost many friends (officers) who were murdered while attempting to protect others. What has been foremost in my mind is that we never know, nor expect, death to come when it does. We will not know when our Probation comes to an end. We have to be ready to meet Christ now, at this very moment. As you said...Are we ready? O, I pray that we each are ready to stand before God.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2005, 07:44:00 AM »
"Would we want Christ to come and find us in frivolous amusements, in concerts which some patronize?"

This reminds me of the situation we find ourselves in today. While soldiers are dying in Iraq and Afghanistan, millions are homeless and dying in SE Asia, and Christians are persecuted in many nations there is such a great interest in football and such games.

When the N.Y. trade towers were destroyed there was a question as to the propriety of playing professional football the following Sunday. A player responded  "There will still be people trapped in buildings when we're playing games."

That comment came from Arizona Cardinals' Pat Tillman. He later rejected a 3 and a half million dollar contract to play football and joined the Army. He did so without any fanfare. He would not give press interviews so that he would not take honors to himself above others who joined the Army for the same reason. He died in Afghanistan.

That we would manifest the same character for the battle that Christ is engaged in. The Apostle Paul said it well: "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." 1Corinthians 13:11.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2005, 09:25:00 AM »
Many have an idea that they must do some part of the work alone. They have trusted in Christ for the forgiveness of sin, but now they seek by their own efforts to live aright. But every such effort must fail. Jesus says, "Without me ye can do nothing."

Our growth in grace, our joy, our usefulness--all depend upon our union with Christ. It is by communion with Him, daily, hourly--by abiding in Him--that we grow in grace. He is not only the author, but the finisher of our faith. It is Christ first and last and always. He is to be with us, not only at the beginning and the end of our course, but at every step of the way....

Do you ask, "How am I to abide in Christ?"--In the same way as you received Him at first. "As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him" (Col. 2:6). . . .

You gave yourself to God, to be His wholly, to serve and obey Him, and you took Christ as your Saviour. You could not yourself atone for your sins or change your heart, but having given yourself to God, you believed that He for Christ's sake did all this for you. By faith you became Christ's, and by faith you are to grow up in Him--by giving and taking.

You are to give all--your heart, your will, your service--give yourself to Him to obey all His requirements; and you must take all--Christ, the fullness of all blessing, to abide in your heart, to be your strength, your righteousness, your everlasting helper--to give you power to obey. . . .

Your weakness is united to His strength, your ignorance to His wisdom, your frailty to His enduring might. So you are not to look to yourself, not to let the mind dwell upon self, but look to Christ. Let the mind dwell upon His love, upon the beauty, the perfection, of His character. Christ in His self-denial, Christ in His humiliation, Christ in His purity and holiness, Christ in His matchless love--this is the subject for the soul's contemplation. It is by loving Him, copying Him, depending wholly upon Him, that you are to be transformed into His likeness.  (Taken from God's Amazing Grace 293)

[This message has been edited by Ele Holmes (edited 01-01-2005).]

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2005, 06:12:00 AM »
To those who, though they have repented, are troubled over their past sins, who are tempted to think that perhaps they are not forgiven, Christ says, " GO, AND SIN NO MORE." You have found peace with God, THROUGH HIS GRACE YOU HAVE ENTERED INTO A NEW LIFE. "By grace are you saved through faith and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God." Believe this. Commit the keeping of your soul to our faithful Creator, Jesus Christ.

The GRACE OF CHRIST is to work a wonderful transformation in our lives and our character; and if we are truly the disciples of Christ, the world will see the divine power within us, for while we are in the world, they will see we are not of it.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2005, 12:47:00 PM »
Amen!! True repentance not to be repented of brings real forgiveness. We are then new creatures in Christ Jesus!!  :)