Author Topic: What is The Value of a Soul?  (Read 11699 times)

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
What is The Value of a Soul?
« on: July 12, 2004, 07:23:00 AM »
Here is a work for evey one of us to do.

Never did I see and sense the value of souls as I do at the present time.  How can we realize the importance of the work of salvation?  In comparison with the value of the soul, everything else sinks into insignificance. Oh how true.... This world and its treasures, this life and its happiness, are of little comsequence when we compare them with the joy of even one soul eternally saved.  Until we have clear and distinct ideas of what that soul will enjoy, in our heavenly home when saved in the kindom of glory, until we can fully comprehend the value of that life which measures with the life of God, until we can fully realize the riches of that reward which is laid up for those who overcome and gain the victory,  -we cannot know the true value of the soul.
(Taken from EGW  RH 03-25-80)

I do not understand ICQ, cookies, UBB, HTML, homepage???

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
Re: What is The Value of a Soul?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 09:15:00 AM »
The Value of a Soul

We also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement. Rom. 5:11.  {LHU 241.1}
    Those who are finally victorious will have seasons of terrible perplexity and trial in their religious life; but they must not cast away their confidence, for this is a part of their discipline in the school of Christ, and it is essential in order that all dross may be purged away. The servant of God must endure with fortitude the attacks of the enemy, his grievous taunts, and must overcome the obstacles which Satan will place in his way.  {LHU 241.2}
    Satan will seek to discourage the followers of Christ, so that they may not pray or study the Scriptures, and he will throw his hateful shadow athwart the path to hide Jesus from the view, to shut away the vision of His love, and the glories of the heavenly inheritance. It is his delight to cause the children of God to go shrinkingly, tremblingly, and painfully along, under continual doubt. He seeks to make the pathway as sorrowful as possible; but if you keep looking up, not down at your difficulties, you will not faint in the way, you will soon see Jesus reaching His hand to help you, and you will only have to give Him your hand in simple confidence, and let Him lead you. As you become trustful, you will become hopeful.  {LHU 241.3}
    Jesus is the light of the world, and you are to fashion your life after His. You will find help in Christ to form a strong, symmetrical, beautiful character. Satan cannot make of none effect the light shining forth from such a character. The Lord has a work for each of us to do. He does not provide that we shall be sustained by the influence of human praise and petting; He means that every soul shall stand in the strength of the Lord. God has given us His best gift, even His only begotten Son, to uplift, ennoble, and fit us, by putting on us His own perfection of character, for a home in His kingdom. Jesus came to our world and lived as He expects His followers to live. . . .  {LHU 241.4}
    God designs that we shall work, not in a despairing manner, but with strong faith and hope. As we search the Scriptures, and are enlightened to behold the wonderful condescension of the Father in giving Jesus to the world, that all who believe on Him should not perish but have everlasting life, we should rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory.  {LHU 241.5}
    Everything that can be gained by education, God means that we shall use for the advancement of the truth. True, vital godliness must be reflected from the life and character, that the cross of Christ may be lifted up before the world, and the value of the soul be revealed in the light of the cross. Our minds must be opened to understand the Scriptures, that we may gain spiritual power by feeding upon the bread of heaven (Messages to Young People, pp. 63, 64).

With Christian Love,
Marie

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 07:15:00 AM »
The more we discover God's goodness the more we should humble our soul, and lead us to cry out in gratitude, "I live, yet not I, but Christ liveth in me." (Gal.2:20).   Christ comforts us.... We have reason  to be comforted. Severe trials are pressing around us, around our soul where Christ lives. Let us turn to Him, for His consoling power, that He has provided for us in His Word.

Many times we feel His springs of hope and comfort may appear to fail us, but the springs which feed the river of God are full of supply and can never be dried up.  God wants us to look away from the cause of our afflictions and look to Him who is the Owner of our soul, body, and spirit.  HE IS THE LOVER OF THE SOUL, AND KNOWS THE VALUE OF THE SOUL. He is the true Vine and we are the branches.  We shall have no spiritual nourishment only as we draw it from Jesus who is the life of the soul.  Amen and Amen.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 08:41:00 AM »
Doesn't it break your heart to see a member of our family, or a dear friend,  or even a grandson hardening their heart, rebelling against God, running in fear, hating, being unhappy, lying,  cheating????

"The careless and the impenitent go on in their reckless course of disobedience, and harden themselves in rebellion against God; but they do not consider the value of the human soul.  The world's Redeemer was constantly seeking to lead men to a true apprciation of the value of the soul.  He asked the question, 'What shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his woul?'  A world sinks into insignificance in comparison with the soul.  When Christ wept upon the mount of Olivet, he beheld with prophetic eye, not only the loss of one soul, but the destruction of a nation."   ST 02-27-96

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 06:34:00 AM »
As I see the misery of the world under the working of Satan I get so depressed and  sad in my heart to see so many fall by the wayside. But, God is so good.  Reading through EGW, I came across this  quote on the Value of the Souls, and I sure needed it today.

Ellen White tells us not to exhaust our God-given energies in idle lamentations, but go to work for yourselves and for others. It is fitting for us to weep as Christ wept, but let us weep to some purpose.  AWAKE, and feel a burden for those that are perishing.... THE SOUL THAT GOD HAS CREATED AND CHRIST REDEEMED IS OF GREAT VALUE because of the possibilities before it, the spiritual advantages that have been granted it, the capabilities it may possess if vitalized by the word of God....

One soul is of more value to heaven than a whole world of property, houses, lands, money....For the conversion of one soul we should tax our resources to the utmost. One soul won to Christ will flash heaven's light all around him, penetrating the moral darkness, and saving other souls.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 07:07:00 AM »
The VALUE OF THE SOUL is such a serious subject that must be studied.  We are to be Christ-like by a Sanctified Life, which puts the value where it should be.  What ingratitude do we manifest toward God when we rob Him of His own by withholding from Him our affections and our service! Is it too much to give ourselves to Him who has sacrificed ALL for us?

We must come nearer to the cross of Christ. Penitence at the foot of the cross is the first lesson of peace we have to learn. Who can comprehend the love of Jesus? Infinitely more tender and self-denying than a mother's love! If we would know the value of a human soul, we must look in living faith upon the cross and thus begin the study which shall be through all eternity.  (Taken from Sanctified Life 93)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 11:32:00 AM »
Amen, Sister Ele! The cost to redeem a soul is past our understanding. As we contemplate the sufferings of Christ and the Father we will better understand not only our value, but the value of the least amongst us for whom Christ died.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2004, 06:14:00 AM »
To Love as Christ Loved

The love that is inspired by the love we have for Jesus will see in every soul, rich and poor, a VALUE that cannot be measured by human estimate.  The world sinks into insignificance in comparison with the VALUE OF ONE SOUL.  

The love of God revealed for man is beyond any human computation.  It is infinite.  And the human agent who is a partaker of the divine nature will love as Christ loves, will work as Christ worked.

There will be an inborn compassion and sympathy which will not fail or be dicouraged.  This is the spirit that should be encouraged to live in every heart and be revealed in every life.  This love can only exist and be kept refined, holy, pure, and elevated through the love in the soul for Jesus Christ, nourished by daily communion with God.... "Love one another as I have loved you." (Taken from Welfare Ministry-83)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2004, 08:04:00 AM »
Amen! It is the evidence that Jesus lives within!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2004, 07:33:00 AM »
As I sit here repenting of my sins, I ask myself,  Ele, Do you honestly realize the value of your soul????  No, I don't think so.  Not if I keep sinning over and over again.,..

Christ took human nature upon Himself showing us that He places a value upon every soul.   Can you imagine how much that value is worth?  THE DEATH ON THE CROSS!  Whoa! Am I really worth that?  To Jesus I am.   That in itself should make me want to quit sinning.

"Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own. For you are bought with a price therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's." This is the value God places upon man, and again He says,
"I will make a man more precious that fine gold, even a man than the golden wedge of Ophir."   But Remember, God will do nothing without our co-operation.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2004, 08:32:00 AM »
We find ourselves to be worse off than we have ever imagined. Only those who come to see this will have need of a Saviour. When we truly understand that the battle is within and God wants to live within and give us power to be good, to do good.

We understand that this power only comes through Christ. Without Him we can do no real good. Our motives are all wrong. But, abiding in Christ we can do all things. As we have discussed so many times, by beholding we become changed. As we contemplate the life of Christ and His great love for us, we cannot hurt Him who gave so much. The problem is that we take our eyes off this and then self returns. We need grace moment by moment to keep our hearts soft and our motives pure.

We keep coming back to Christ and He will pour out cleaning water to wash away our sins. The more we know God the more we will love Him. Our characters will be strengthened as we see our need and depend upon our Lord.

Jesus waits to see Himself reflected in us today. Let us not disappoint Him.  :)

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2004, 06:54:00 AM »
Men may desire to possess a great name.  With some the possession of houses and land and plenty of money, is so important to them and will make them great according to the measure of the world.  It is the height of their ambition.  They desire to reach the place where they can look down with a sense of superiority upon those who are poor. How very sad.  They are building on sand, and their houses will suddenly fall.

Superiority of position is not true greatness.  That which does not increase the value of the soul is of no real value in itself.   The value of our own being we can only measure by the value of that Life given to save all who will receive HIM.
(Parts taken from  "In Heavenly Places"  173)

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2004, 09:06:00 AM »
The VALUE OF THE SOUL, who can estimate????? Would you know its worth????  Go to Gethsemane, and there watch, through those hours of anguich, when He sweat great drops of blood. Look upon the Saviour uplifted on the cross.  Hear that despairing cry, "My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?"  Look upon the wounded head, the pierced side, the marred feet.  

Remember that Christ risked all for our redmption.  He died for my sins. Even one sinner, Christ would have laid down His life.  NOW estimate the VALUE OF OUR SOUL.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005, 10:31:00 AM »
Rereading quotes on this very serious subject revives my soul, and gives me so much inspiration and strength to walk away from temptation....  Try it with me.... Reread these quotes and feel free.

This world and its treasures, this life and its happiness, are of little consequence, when we compare them with the joy of even one soul eternally saved.  In comparison with the value of the soul, everything else sinks into insignificance.  

Until we have clear and distinct ideas of what that soul will enjoy when saved in the kingdom  of glory, until we can fully realize the riches of that reward which is laid up for those who overcome and gain the victory,-we cannot know the inestimable value of the soul.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 07:45:47 PM »
What a beautiful topic - the value of a soul! Oh how I wish I could have known Sister Ele. She wrote as one sitting, talking to you in the next chair. What a blessing it will be to meet her in heaven. She was a good evangelist! 
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 11:27:57 AM »
Yes, she was a good student of Scripture.

This subject, the value of a soul, is so important. It can only be measured by the greatness of our God. Such a  Sacrifice for us while we were yet sinners!! If only the world could know of this great love!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 04:33:48 PM »
We were discussing the judgment yesterday and the subject of punishment came up. The fact that none will burn for eternity is so very important. Also, of equal importance is the fact that the wicked will burn. We have a topic on this, but I want to touch on the subject just for moment in light of the value of a soul.

God did not set aside justice in order to save man. He did not do away with His law or His government which has perfect order. No, He maintained His justice, yet was merciful to us sinners. How does the value of a soul relate to the judgment of those who reject God's love?

When we understand the Bible to teach that all will suffer for the sins they have done if they do not repent, it then follows that Jesus suffered for each one of those sins for all who have lived or ever will live. And He would have done it just for you!!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2009, 09:03:32 PM »
How does the value of a soul relate to the judgment of those who reject God's love?

I'd like to discuss this question, maybe not in the way you are asking. It is pregnant with a myriad of possible answers. Just this evening I was involved in a discussion of the death penalty executed in the wilderness of those who desired to persist in sin, those unrepentant ones - the bad seeds. They were stoned. It was a type of immediate judgment even though I realize the question relates to the final judgment.

On one hand God would have them repent and save them, after all, Christ died for the sins he committed, too, so the value has to be labeled as incalculable. Who can place a value on the life of Christ? It can't be done. On the other hand, God would not have the multitude infected by sin persisted in through a rebellious heart, so His only recourse was death of the offender so the others would fear and understand why it should be so.

What is the value of that bad soul?  Is it counted as one God laments for obvious reasons? His Son gave His very life for the good as well as the bad desiring all to be saved. So it stands to reason the lost soul is as much value to God as those saved ones. There is no gratification taken in the destruction of the wicked - it is a strange act for such a loving God yet it is one that must be taken in the name of justice and safety, not only for the Children of Israel while in the wilderness, but ultimately for the security of the universe post final judgment.  
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2009, 10:18:02 PM »
What is the value of that bad soul?

The value of the bad soul is just as we have stated. Christ would have died for that one soul. So the value of that soul is past calculation!  Then why was it that God destroys some?

Let us take a close look at those that perished at His command. We say that they died to protect the others. This is true, but there is much more to it. If we say that God can or will end the life of a "bad" one so quickly, then this will cause some to misunderstand the character of our God. When we go to Scripture for an understanding we have a perfect example of this subject in the attitude of King David when Uzza was struck dead by the hand of God. David did not know God as He would one day know Him. We today have a better understanding of our God than did David when he refused to have the ark brought to Jerusalem after the death of Uzza. He was fearful of God and he was unhappy with God for killing Uzza. 

And the anger of the LORD was kindled against Uzza, and he smote him, because he put his hand to the ark: and there he died before God.  And David was displeased, because the LORD had made a breach upon Uzza: wherefore that place is called Perezuzza to this day.  And David was afraid of God that day, saying, How shall I bring the ark of God [home] to me?  So David brought not the ark [home] to himself to the city of David, but carried it aside into the house of Obededom the Gittite.  1 Chron. 13:10-13.

I am not going to explain the situation, but just ask two questions. Ought David to have feared God because He struck Uzza down for touching the Ark? If not, why not?

Donna H

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 01:01:55 PM »
It is right to fear God.

Can the value of the soul ever be understood, or even glimpsed, without fearing God?
Faith is the living power that presses through every barrier, overrides all obstacles, and plants its banner in the heart of the enemy’s camp. 4T 163.3