Author Topic: Coming to Christ  (Read 19402 times)

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Coming to Christ
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2004, 04:56:00 AM »
"The  trials of life are God's workmen, to remove the roughness from our character.  Their hewing, squaring, polishing, is a painful process; it is hard to be pressed down to the grinding wheel.  But the stone is brought foth prepared to fill ths place in the heavenly temple.  Upon no useless material does the Master bestow such careful work.  Only His precious stones are polished after the similitude of a palace."  Mount of Blessing 10
I do not understand ICQ, cookies, UBB, HTML, homepage???

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
Coming to Christ
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2004, 09:11:00 AM »
"And I climb the stony path
                         Content at last to know
                         That where my Master had not gone,
                         I would not need to go."  

Amen, Sister Ele! The heart of the human father yearns over his son. He looks into the face of his little child, and trembles at the thought of life's peril. He longs to shield his dear one from Satan's power, to hold him back from temptation and conflict. To meet a bitterer conflict and a more fearful risk, God gave His only-begotten Son, that the path of life might be made sure for our little ones. "Herein is love." Wonder, O heavens! and be astonished, O earth!

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Coming to Christ
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2004, 04:50:00 AM »
TODAY, let us give someone this message with LOVE and kindness.

"Do not listen to the enemy's suggetion to stay away from Christ until you have made yourself better, until you are good enough to come to God. If you wait till then, you will never come.  You might wait till the judgment, but you would not be fit to COME TO CHRIST.  It is to-day that you are to yield to the drawing power of Christ, and COME TO HIM as you are.  He will continue to draw you as you come, until every thought shall be brought into captivity to him....

"And why does Chrsit draw you to himself?-It is that he may make you more precious than the golden wedge of Ophir.  One soul is of more worth to Jesus than the whole world."  ST 04-11-92

"The Lord requires at this time just what he required of Adam in Eden,-perfect obedience to the law of God.  We must have righteousness without a flaw, without a blemish.  God gave his son to die for the world, but he did not die to repeal the law which was holy and just and good.  The sacrifice of Christ on Calvary is an unanswerable argument showing the immutability of the law.  Its penalty was felt by the Son of God in behalf of guilty men, that through his merits the sinner might obtain the virtue of his spotless character by faith in his name. ST 05-19-90

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Coming to Christ
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2004, 06:39:00 AM »
Amen, Sister Ele. The law is the "school-master" that shows that we need a Saviour. If the law was done away with then so was the "school-master". We know this is not true. The law is what we are to live. But, without Christ in the heart we cannot. We are only evil continually. We are in need of Christ's righteousness. He offers this freely. We are to come to Him just as we are and He will cleanse us from all sin. Sin is the "transgression of the law."

Not only will past sins be forgiven, but power is given to obey all that we know is right. After we come to Christ and give Him the whole heart, then we will do that which we know we ought to do. Those who do not do what they know is right or who do that which they know is wrong, need to flee back to Christ or as with many they need to for the first time make that whole heart surrender to Christ. He then will make then partakers of His divine nature. This is the "new birth".

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Deb

Coming to Christ
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2004, 07:59:00 AM »
This is the first time I've been on this section of TRO. Thank you Brother Richard for inviting me.

I think your mentioning giving ALL of our hearts to Jesus in full surrender is why there is so much weakness in our church today. That is why I find myself weak in overcoming--there is not a FULL surrender of self to Jesus.

I think this "partial" surrender is really no surrender at all. I knew of a young man who said he was converted at a christian rock celebration provided by our church. But he still wears his hair spiked and sloppy huge jeans that hang way down, typical worldly teen look, listens to rock music and is still the same boy. I am afraid he was not converted or perhaps didn't understand what conversion really was.

Sister White says in Steps to Christ that there are those who WANT to be converted but are not. I think Brother Richard said it correctly when he said "surrender self" is what we need to do in order to overcome. Paul says we need to surrender to self daily.

This is what I want...to have all surrendered to Christ and to reflect Him daily.

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
Coming to Christ
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2004, 08:09:00 PM »
God's own in the end of time will be seeking a clean character. They will, like never before, see more and more in themselves that need to change. They will never say they are good and ready for God will ever be changing them to become more and more like Him by opening their eyes to their faults, no matter how small.
This will be in direct contrast to the self-righteous point of view of their own selves.

The difference between the Pharisee and the Publican.

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

[This message has been edited by Sister Glass (edited 03-06-2004).]

With Christian Love,
Marie

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Coming to Christ
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2004, 08:34:00 PM »
Dear Sister Deb, thank you for joining us!  :)

It is sad that we take so long to understand what Jesus offers us. He is calling us to Himself, but for many reasons we fail to understand what the "new birth" is. It is a radical change. We become partakers of the divine nature. Our motives are correct even if many of our actions are still wrong.

The ministers fail many times to require evidence of conversion before they baptise new candidates.

In this topic we are discussing the need to come to Christ. It is not very well understood in the church. Many do not see what you are seeing. They have no need therefore they do not need a Saviour.

Ours is a continual need. You and I understand our weakness and we know who we really are. Without Christ we are in trouble. But, in Christ we can do all things that He asks of us. In Christ we are never tempted beyond what we can bear. Such a promise!

We need to focus on how it is that we abide in Christ, then we will be more consistent in our walk with Jesus. That is the subject in this topic. For those have never been truly converted, the study begins here. How do we come to Christ?

Please share with us your understanding and your experience.

~maddy

• http://
Coming to Christ
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2004, 03:10:00 AM »
I'm confused about something here, Sister Deb.  Are you saying if this young man stopped dressing and wearing his hair a certain way it would mean he was really saved?  I think you are confusing culture with Christianity.  Christ did not come to change our "culture".  He came to change our hearts.

I'm not trying to be contentious.  It's just that I've been the "victim" of this sort of thinking myself and it has gotten me NOWHERE.  I had a couple of occasions where I confused the "full surrender of self" with gathering up any music, clothing, books, etc. that were not only obviously wrong (e.g. like books about witchcraft) but were also simply objectionable to conventional society standards, and burning them or getting rid of them.  I would dress so as to conform to others in church.  And you know what?  It didn't make me one bit holier, or my experience in Christ one bit deeper.  It just made me feel like a great big phony.  That, in turn, contributed to the eventual deterioration of my walk with the Lord, and in turn contributed to my turning away again in discouragement.

I don't put my trust in that stuff anymore.  I want Christ in my life 100%.  I want to be 100% His.  I pray for this to happen in my life.  I seek Him and ask Him to make it so.  But then I read things and start listening to people who supposedly know God and it seems they don't have a clue either.  They keep equating the full surrender of self with something one has to DO.  Stop dressing this way.  Stop eating that.  Well, those things don't work.  I've already demonstrated I am capable of those things but I've experienced the same darkness, the same anger, the same frustrations, the same lack of love and ability to be Christlike, as any unconverted "worldling".  Sometimes I am tempted to conclude that maybe the new birth is something God has shut me out of receiving.  I can't say I would blame Him if that were the case but I feel like the disciples who said, "Lord, where then should we go?  You are the One who has the Words of Eternal Life ..."  I can't think of anywhere else I could "go" to at this point in my life.  I've done about everything this world has to offer (outside of things I can't control, such as being rich and famous since I'm not and never have been, nor have any reason to think I could be, nor am I particularly interested in that anyway).  The only real joy I've ever known has been in seeking and serving Christ.  But most of that is a memory, of back when I first knew Him when I was younger, before I went astray.  Now I just feel trapped in a mediocre, pointless existence that is occasionally brightened by an opportunity to escape for a few hours to read/pray/fantasize (holy things) or get out to church or serve Him in some small way for a little while (singing in the choir, feeding the homeless, etc.)  It's not the life I would pick for anyone if I were an omnipotent redeemer, but it beats not having any occasional moments of joy at all, I suppose.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Coming to Christ
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2004, 04:21:00 AM »
Dear Maddy,
   True conversion takes place in the heart, is a transformation of character.  therefore our sins of selfishness, of temper, of wrong habits and practices, are to be positively and firmly put away.  It is not easy, therefore we must COME TO CHRIST. He is our sin-bearer, and will take away our sins.  Spend that hour every morning reflecting His life,His sufferings.

Maddy, read the page before this.  When you come to Christ and know what it is He wants of us, you in turn will be changed....you will want to be like Jesus and follow His ways and believe me you will have peace in your heart like you won't beleive.  God Bless you Maddy, Go to Jesus and ask Him what you should do.  Love in Jesus, Ele

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Coming to Christ
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2004, 07:56:00 AM »
Dear Sister Maddy, you have it right in regards to God wanting our hearts. We may eat the wrong food, dress wrong, keep the wrong day, but God looks on the heart. Give me one baby Christian who has given Christ everything and we will change the world, well at least we will hasten the soon coming of Christ.

We cannot judge a person based upon their outward appearance any more than we can by the day they keep. I think Sister Deb understands this and there is more to her particular situation.

There are many in the church who have not Christ formed within and all their efforts at keeping the law are futile. The work must be done from the inside out. When we allow Christ to have the heart, then will want to follow His leading. It will take time to change because Jesus is patient with us. He does not push us, but moves as fast as we are able.

This does not allow for those who have not Christ formed within neither do they  keep His law. Both groups are without protection in the time of trouble and neither have the peace that passes understanding. Christ call out to us today "Come unto me all ye that labor and I will give you rest." Here only is joy and peace.

[This message has been edited by Richard Myers (edited 03-21-2004).]

Sister Marie

Coming to Christ
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2004, 08:16:00 AM »
Dear Sister Maddy, the putting away of things that are wrong is not something we do to be saved; just like keeping the ten commandments are not kept to be saved. It is in "response" to realizing God's great love for us and what He did to save our soul, that we give up the world in our life. There is nothing we can do to be saved, Jesus did it all, but there is much we do "in response" to being saved that shows our love to the Lord that saved us. If we don't go thru these desires to give up the world, then we don't have the relationship with the Lord that we need. The most important thing to pray for is that the connection between the Lord and ourselves is solid and sure. Then we will "want" to give up the world. We won't want these things in our home. This has been my experience.

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

Deb

Coming to Christ
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2004, 07:43:00 PM »
Maddy: There is more to the short story about the young man. He was raised in the same church I attended. He knows the difference between right and wrong.

I didn't expect his outward appearance to change all at once but when it never did change, I questioned his "conversion" experience. And all it caused me to do was to pray for him all the more.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Coming to Christ
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2004, 09:35:00 AM »
Maddy, Read Jesus words:
"These are very precious words that are spoken to us.  In them is revealed the love of Jesus, and this love seems to flow out in the tender longing that the sinner may COME UNTO CHRIST and find rest.  The invitation is extended to all that labor, to all that are heavy laden....All may COME who are toiling under their burdens, He does not specify that only those who have peculiar difficulties may be relieved.  His invitation is to the whole world.  he says, "COME, all ye that labor."
ST 07-08-89

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Coming to Christ
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2004, 03:16:00 PM »
Maddy, here is another beautiful quote for us to read over and over....

"The voice of the long-suffering Saviour invites us, "COME UNTO ME.... And I will give you rest."  To the needy, the fainting, those who are bowed down with burden and care and perplexity, the invitation is, COME.  It is Christ's glory to encircle us in the arms of his mercy and love, and bind up our wounds.  He will sympathize with those who need sympathy, and strengthen those who need strength."    

Whoa!  What more can we ever, ever ask for....To have a God that gives and gives and gives.  How could we complain? Myself included!   Lord Forgive me! My God I love Thee! Thank you! I praise You! I adore You!
Amen and Amen

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Coming to Christ
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2004, 04:42:00 AM »
"....We need a physician and restroer for our souls, and when we COME UNTO CHRIST
petitioning for his grace, the Comforter will breathe his words into our souls. 'My peace give I unto you,'  'Blessed are the poor in spirit; for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.'  We are to COME as little children to God, and as we realize our poverty, we are not to tell it to men but to God....Tell it to God for he will know just what to do for you...."

Sister Marie

Coming to Christ
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2004, 08:39:00 AM »
                     The Walk

God comes in the evening of life’s dreary day
He comes to help you in every way.
No matter the trials, the pain or the doubt
He’ll heal your problem and bring you about.

He may not always take your  troubles away
But He’ll take your hand if you may,
And walk with you, as you walk on through..
You’ll make it with Jesus walking with you.

mg

With Christian Love,
Marie

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Coming to Christ
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2004, 06:21:00 AM »
This is such an important subject, it is our life, our salvation....We must all come to Christ, not daily, but moment by moment.

"The trouble lies with ourselves.  Our iniquities have separated us from God.  We are not filled, because we do not feel our need; we do not hunger and thirst after righteousness....

We COME TO CHRIST just are we are, in our weakness, with our folly and imperfections, and offer our petitions in faith. In spite of our errors, our continual backsliding, the voice of the long-suffering Saviour invites us, "Come unto me".  

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Coming to Christ
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2004, 05:14:00 PM »
Amen!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Coming to Christ
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2004, 07:01:00 AM »
We have no reason to not come to Christ even in the middle of our sins. We have precious promises that if we will better understand, we will not stay away from the One who loves us dearly. He died for us while we were yet sinners.

Proverbs 28:13 "He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy."

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Coming to Christ
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2004, 05:02:00 PM »
Amen Richard.
Christ will receive all who come to Him by faith.  His promise is, "Him that cometh to me I will in nowise cast out."

Don't you love His promises?  What an awsome God we serve.  There are truthfully no words in the English language that could discribe this God our ours.  He is so Great!