Author Topic: COL.. Without a Wedding Garment  (Read 7979 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
COL.. Without a Wedding Garment
« on: July 07, 2001, 05:01:00 PM »
The devil has been very successful at deceiving many on what is required to receive eternal life. God said to Adam and Eve "But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die. And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die..."

He says the same today. Ye shall not surely die if ye disobey God.  But God has said "The wages of sin is death." He who sins shall surely die for when "the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity...All His righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die."

Let us learn from the mouth of Jesus. In His parable of the wedding garment we see this truth illustrated. As we study this teaching from Matthew 22:1-14 we shall see that all must possess a character that can only come from our Lord Jesus. He is willing and anxious to "impart" this character. Do we see our need of it? Or have we been deceived and believe that we may rely on His character and not not be transformed? Do we believe that we may sin and still possess eternal life? Are we deceived as was Eve?

In His love and grace,       Richard

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Joan

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2001, 01:06:00 PM »
Christ's Object Lessons
"Without a Wedding Garment"

Traditionaly in Japan the color 'white' is representative for mourning.
Accepted custom in War times is the hanging out of white sheets of cloth for signaling surrender.
Known Turkish custom for brides is the wearing of a white dress, with a red sash put on by the father of the bride as his token of honor that she is still a virgin.

The Western leading nations have traditionally seen the wearing of a white gown by brides as a symbol of their virginity. This tradition has sadly become a farce of make-believe.

White is not a color but a condition of reflected sunlight. Light being then composed of all hues and being shown as white. Adam and Eve were created in the image of God and were surrounded by the luminous energy of reflected light from that fellowship.

About our spiritual Kingdom of God the inspired writings teaches "the wedding garment represents the character which all must possess who shall be accounted fit guests for the wedding."

And where there is a feast for a wedding there needs to be invitations sent out. The performers necessary for this wedding ceremony were the chosen race of the Jews. The King, none other than God Himself, gave the invitation but with insults and unappreciative spirit the invitation was spurned. His messengers the Prophets were despicably treated and often murdered. Their messages ignored and not applied to the listener's life. Jesus in his Prophet-office gave out invitation to the feast by training his 12 and the 70 to go out and sound the word that the Kingdom of God was at hand. The hearts were harden. Unbelief and rejection was the answer. And to top it all off the Jewish leaders got enough corporate church support to kill the one and only Bridegroom. With right the King God householder decreed ..."He sent forth his armies, and destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city. The judgment pronounced came upon the Jews in the destruction of Jerusalem and the scattering of the nation."

Now this wedding feast story is parallel with the big supper parable story as well. That story showed the chap had the cheek to show up at the feast without proper attire. Most probably thinking 'I'm alright, people are to accept me as I am, who I am is more important that how I'm dressed'. Shocking to say that sort of thinking does not pan out well at all according to the rules of the Kingdom and the feasts celebrated therein. "Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth."
This misguided one didn't take the offer of the provision of a wedding garment as necessary.

This moment of checking out the guests is a type of investigating in what condition the guests are in. "Before the final reward is given, it must be decided who are fitted to share the inheritance of the righteous. This decision must be made prior to the second coming of Christ in the clouds of heaven; for when He comes, His reward is with Him, "to give every man according as his work shall be." Rev. 22:12. Before His coming, then, the character of every man's work will have been determined, and to every one of Christ's followers the reward will have been apportioned according to his deeds."

There is a purpose for the 'books' in heaven. We who have our name now written in the Book of Life because of having claimed Christ's blood for cleanser of our sin condition. What will be weighed in the investigating judgement is whether we walked in the Spirit to fulfill the will God or not. Our deeds will tell. Those deeds are written in the book as well for that purpose.  

Perfect conformity to the will of God was the light of the garments our Eden parents wore at first. Jesus gives us this garment back in an imputed way. In the process of santification He imparts to us his standard of perfection to the will of God.

Our wedding garment of white is the righteousness of Christ's imputed purity to us. So also is implied in wearing this white righteousness that one is a virgin. Such a one should also have the character traits of decency, being honorable and dependable. Morally pure and without malice. All that which denotes innocence of virginity. One who does not soil themselves with sin.

This wedding garment is our first requirement before taking part in the wedding feast of the Bridegroom. " This covering, the robe of His own righteousness, Christ will put upon every repenting, believing soul. "I counsel thee," He says, "to buy of Me . . . white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear." Rev. 3:18.
"When we submit ourselves to Christ, the heart is united with His heart, the will is merged in His will, the mind becomes one with His mind, the thoughts are brought into captivity to Him; we live His life. This is what it means to be clothed with the garment of His righteousness."

Imputed righteousness is not some stagnate, inert, inorganic substance operated into our left cerebral by an invisible alien force. " Righteousness is right doing, and it is by their deeds that all will be judged. Our characters are revealed by what we do. The works show whether the faith is genuine." So our whole being is governed by the laws of God's righteousness within us when living and breathing, thinking and deciding, acting and interacting with others.

" Whatever our profession, it amounts to nothing unless Christ is revealed in works of righteousness."

Personally I see that if I am to proclaim truth, it must not only be etched in my understanding, but it must also be controling my will, emotions and affections as well as my actions. " God requires perfection of His children. His law is a transcript of His own character, and it is the standard of all character."
He who dares try to enter heaven on his own estimation of himself is one who may have professed Christ but had seen no need of a transformation of his character. Such a one has never felt true repentance for sin. Such ones do not exert any resistance to temptations that attack on their " hereditary or cultivated tendencies to wrongdoing." The wedding robe of Righteous is not given those in their self-delusion that their own opinion of their merits warrants a right to participate in the wedding feast.

Joan

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2001, 01:12:00 PM »

I find this chapter of such vital doctinal importance for salvation that I rather not give much more of my words but just post these quotes from this chapter.  I have known that the holiness of God in His people is still required before one is to be a finished product for heavenly entrance. Being so close to the world's system of operating e.g. in workplace, shopping, school activities and freetime hobbies, I have found myself accepting much of the way of this world as part of my life. But something of God has been working on me to pull me away from the 'rat-race' to live a life of holiness as not hereto before. I pray for the strength of His working in my life that what He has started in me He will bring it to perfection.

"The professed followers of Christ are no longer a separate and peculiar people. The line of demarcation is indistinct. The people are subordinating themselves to the world, to its practices, its customs, its selfishness. The church has gone over to the world in transgression of the law, when the world should have come over to the church in obedience to the law. Daily the church is being converted to the world.

"All these expect to be saved by Christ's death, while they refuse to live His self-sacrificing life. They extol the riches of free grace, and attempt to cover themselves with an appearance of righteousness, hoping to screen their defects of character; but their efforts will be of no avail in the day of God.

"The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin. A man may be a law-breaker in heart; yet if he commits no outward act of transgression, he may be regarded by the world as possessing great integrity. But God's law looks into the secrets of the heart. Every act is judged by the motives that prompt it. Only that which is in accord with the principles of God's law will stand in the judgment."

I am convinced that not one of us will be allowed to enter the heavenly gates, let alone be resurrected from the dead or transformed at the twinkling of an eye, if we have one sin still unconfessed in our being.  " But the love of God does not lead Him to excuse sin. He did not excuse it in Satan; He did not excuse it in Adam or in Cain; nor will He excuse it in any other of the children of men. He will not connive at our sins or overlook our defects of character. He expects us to overcome in His name."

'Get away from me...I don't know you !' What a horrible sentence to have to hear from one of whom we expect acceptance and recognition of dutiful service as a Christian. Such one as a 'christian' who can claim a public church ministry where evidence is shown that the working of evil angels was abated, that preaching the word brought light into the souls of men, that they even prayed for the sick of mind so they were healed to the love of Jesus for them. Ones who through preaching or teaching attracted their eyes of the listeners to the cross of Christ. So much so that conviction of sin occured. "These ones  felt the power of the gospel; their hearts were made tender as they saw the sweetness of the love of God. They beheld the beauty of the character of Christ. But with the many it was all in vain. They would not surrender their own habits and character. They would not put off the garments of earth in order to be clothed with the robe of heaven. Their hearts were given to covetousness. They loved the associations of the world more than they loved their God. "

" It is in this life that we are to put on the robe of Christ's righteousness. This is our only opportunity to form characters for the home which Christ has made ready for those who obey His commandments."

"The days of our probation are fast closing. The end is near. To us the warning is given, "Take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares." Luke 21:34. Beware lest it find you unready."

"Take heed lest you be found at the King's feast without a wedding garment."

~~~
Joan
~~~

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2001, 07:11:00 PM »
Very interesting comments, Sister Joan. Let us look at your statements of "imputed" rather than "imparted" righteousness. Can this imputed righteousness be the robe? Can "imputed" righteousness be seen in the life of the Christian?  This is very important to be clear on. This is the very point controverted in the church. As you read through the Justification by Faith topic, you will see the argument made by Brother James that His righteousness is not "imparted". You say "Perfect conformity to the will of God was the light of the garments our Eden parents wore at first. Jesus gives us this garment back in an imputed way. In the process of santification He imparts to us his
standard of perfection to the will of God."

You might elaborate on this point, for I do not understand it. Yes, we rejoice in the "imputed" righteousness that Christ has given to cover our past sins. We are worthy of death, but His imputed righteousness saves us. But, at the very same time He gives us His character. Yes, we will become more like Him as we grow in grace, but we must correctly understand this parable. When the thief on the cross died, he had a character that fit him for heaven. His character was perfect, because it was the "imparted" righteousness of Christ. He wore the "imparted" robe of Christ's righteousness. In the judgment his character will reveal this perfection. No man will enter the kingdom without a character that measures with the law of God. We shall all be judged by the law.

I don't question that Christ has imputed His righteousness to our account, but without "imparting" His righteousness to us, we would remain unclothed. The wedding garment replaces our filthy clothes, which we have given up. The judgment looks at the thoughts, the acts, the character of the individual who has professed to love Jesus. If we in fact have given the whole heart to Christ, then we will keep His commandments. This is the "imparted" righteousness spoken of as the "robe of Christ's righteousness." Prepared by heavenly grace, we become clothed with the righteousness of Christ, in the wedding garment, and are fitted to sit down at the marriage supper. We become one with Christ, partakers of the divine nature, purified, refined, elevated, and acknowledged to be the children of God,--heirs of God and joint heirs with Jesus Christ. Not just the 144,000, but all who have truly given their whole heart to Jesus.  :)

In His love,        Richard

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Joan

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2001, 11:58:00 PM »
Thanks for bring my attention to look at the words I used pertaining to describing the action of receiving Righteousness. You gave me cautiously an indication that I am not reaching a state of approval through your filter of understanding with my use of the words imputed righteousness and imparted righteousness. We will only be able to discuss among ourselves further when this definition knot is unraveled. So I'm sitting here and searching my thoughts as deeply as possible as to what I hold in me that expresses my convictions to the understanding of those two words of "imputed" and "imparted" which refers to Christ's righteousness.

Impute righteousness is, as I have gathered from all the years of reading, listening to sermons and learning in the Sabbath School, like this as I understand it at present :
I wanted to pray to God to go to heaven after I die.
I learned that only the righteous will be resurrected from the dead.
It was clear to me that I was unrighteous.
This unrighteous condition of 'my being', as seen in the eyes of God, I never doubted or tried to debate with excuses.
I received forgiveness of my sins as I submitted myself to the Christ for cleansing of my soul.
He then imputed His righteousness to me vicariously.
He attributed to me without a tuck of effort on my part to right myself, His righteous standing before God the Father.
His righteousness was ascribed to me in an imputed way to give me the right to approach the throne of God in a communion of fellowship.
Legally I am charged with having now at present righteousness because of the meritious act of Jesus Christ's life and crucifixion.

I move on in the process of my life's santification with His imputed righteousness. If the conditions of the law of God are to be met in my life, I need to so stay in communion with Jesus so that He keeps imparting to me His righteousness by or through His grace. He imparts to me in my christian walk more and more of His holiness and purity which in turn becomes more and more part of my character. This is a process of imparting. In the course of my life He divulges to me more and more knowledge of His will and what he expects of me. When I am assentive, I decide for my will to overcome in His strength at those moments of trials and temptations. He is then victorious in me because of His imparted righteousness which is working in me to do and to will His good pleasure.

So it seems I see imputed righteousness as a legal instant vicarious act (which may be needed to get re-instated when I sin again ) and I see imparted righteous as an accompaning measure of grace during my life of santification.  Richard,....is there something wrong in thinking this way ?

Richard asked :
" Can this imputed righteousness be the robe?"
I will be cautious here with you. It may be in your perfectionism of Western World mathmatical thinking there is only one denominator to mean only one worth. Perhaps it would be better to say that imputed and imparted righteousness is the wedding garment. This was a Jewish mentality parable and I want to be polite and not force it into modern western contempory thinking patterns.

Richard asked :
" Can "imputed" righteousness be seen in the life of the Christian?"
I wish it could be so clearly seen. Then I would be able to pinpoint without doubt the authentic child of God over against the phonies or wannebies. It is not so easy because of the elements of deception in many. It also takes mature discernment to 'read' the fruit of the Spirit in another who claims Christ in their lives. Even I make mistakes with seizing up others as to their true condition.

Please forgive me but I didn't read through the Justification by faith topic. I might have nibbled at it off and on but not with full concentration. There was a certain reason in the last months as to why I didn't pause to study that Topic thread, ....I am sorry.

Richard quoted ...:
You say "Perfect conformity to the will of God was the light of the garments our Eden parents wore at first. Jesus gives us this garment back in an imputed way. In the process of santification He imparts to us his standard of perfection to the will of God."
RM asked : "You might elaborate on this point, for I do not understand it."

What do you think I mean other than that the light surrounding the pair was shut off as sin came in them?  Now that the righteousness of Christ has been imputed to me, the father God sees me throught he light of Christ when I move in life in Him. With what I wrote a few paragraphs above you can now understand that I see imparting of His righteousness continually in my days of santification produces perfection of the will of God in me.

Richard wrote :
"When the thief on the cross died, he had a character that fit him for heaven.
His character was perfect, because it was the "imparted" righteousness of Christ. He wore the "imparted" robe of Christ's righteousness.
In the judgment his character will reveal this perfection. "

Brother, with real respect for your potentially higher spiritual maturity in these matters, please bear with me in my level of understanding at present. To this point I do not fully agree that the thief had a holy character because it wasn't developed over time of trail and tempation. The thief's standing of righteousness in the heavenly court  was imputed by the act of Jesus recognizing his confession of faith. He will be one of the throng of multitudes of believers after the resurrection happening and when on the other side but he will not be one of the leaders in heaven or on the new earth later. I believe the guy who died on the cross was justified in the sight of God but not santified by a holy life.

Richard wrote :
"I don't question that Christ has imputed His righteousness to our account, but without "imparting" His righteousness to us, we would remain unclothed."

Now I understand you are not seeing the 'imputed righteousness' of Christ as representing the wedding garment, apparently. At present I can not commit myself definately one way or another. I am not in doubt at all that the imputed righteousness of Christ has effectual efficacious warrant allowing one eternal life.  It just comes to me as being weirdly unbalanced proclaiming that the imputed righteousness of Christ is inefficient to clothed one in the garment required for the wedding feast. Like as if implying that imparted righteousness is of more value than imputed.  That is beyond my scope of comprehension.

Richard wrote :
"If we in fact have given the whole heart to Christ, then we will keep His commandments.
This is the "imparted" righteousness spoken of as the "robe of Christ's righteousness."

The new Christian falls into sin without knowing he is sinning because of lack of instruction or good mentors. This young one is convicted of wrong doing, receives forgiveness, repents and goes on not doing that sin again. You see total perfectionism in character all at once is the impression of the standard you seem to convey to me. I see growth in knowlege and holiness durring the santification process of a believer. But then I haven't quite all right understanding, I will admit. You may see spiritually this matter in another light as I do but in the end evaluation both of us may be just looking at multiple facets of the same substance.

....Joan.......

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2001, 06:39:00 AM »
Sister Joan, the Justification by Faith topic will help you to better understand the subject.  Your statement "I do not fully agree that the thief had a holy character because it wasn't developed over time of trail and tempation. The thief's standing of righteousness in the heavenly court  was imputed by the act of Jesus recognizing his confession of faith. He will be one of the throng of multitudes of believers after the resurrection happening and when on the other side but he will not be one of the leaders in heaven or on the new earth later. I believe the guy who died on the cross was justified in the sight of God but not santified by a holy life"  reveals the difficulty. Upon what will the thief be judged when his name comes up in the investigative judgment? You believe that Jesus is going to give him his character when he comes forth from the grave, but not so. Jesus gave him (imparted) His character when he allowed Jesus to come into his heart. He had "moral" perfection. His motives were correct. Yes, he may have been mistaken about what was right, but his character was pure in regards to his motives. He loved others as Jesus does , for Jesus was enthroned upon his heart.  :)  This is called being "sanctified." Past and present tense, not future. Without this holiness, none shall see the kingdom of God.

Richard

M.A. Crawford

• http://
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2001, 03:02:00 PM »
I believe a very careful reading of The Desire of Ages, pp. 749-751, should shed some light on the discussion of the penitent thief.

M.A.

M.A.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2001, 05:06:00 PM »
Thank you, Brother Crawford, I agree. We are truly a blessed people!  :)

Richard

Joan

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2001, 11:36:00 PM »
Now I do see something a bit broader now what with your bringing in the matter of the investigation judgement of the dead.

It sort of makes sense to me what you are saying about the thief in his investigation judgement.  I never thought about this in light of the spotlight going on this crucified theif person specifically. All the deeds and character of all dead for all ages will be investigated before the second coming of Christ.

ahmmmm...perhaps I should ask one of the vague misunderstandings I carry around in me. Please excuse the primitive condition of this question...I grew in SDAism in a topographical area where this IJ subject is hardly ever in talk,so I have lots of blanks in my knowledge bank on this matter.....but isn't the investigating judgement going on only with the dead at present ? Then come soon those alive will go through a spiritual investigation shortly before Christ's second coming ? What about our stay in the heavenly Millenium ? Aren't we all suppose to be doing a job of investigating judgement of some sort up there then ?

Joan

[This message has been edited by Joan (edited 07-14-2001).]

Brad

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2001, 08:00:00 AM »
Joan,

My understanding of the investigating judgement is that the judgement of the living has to conclude before the close of probation since the plagues will begin to fall on the wicked at that time. Also during the thousand years in heaven we will not be judging the wicked since they will all be dead but will be studying Gods decisions so that we will be satisfied in our minds. So for example if there was a person who you thought should have made it but didn’t, you will be able to look at the path and decisions of that person.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2001, 08:21:00 AM »
Happy Sabbath!

Brother Brad, I think what you say is correct. The judgment is not to arrive at a decision as to who is saved. Jesus knows the heart. The investigative judgment reveals to the universe what God already knows. The devil opposes God's people, but Jesus defends us, one at a time. He shows the thoughts, the acts, and the motives of all who professed to love Him.

What happens in the thousand years?  Do not God's people need to see the very same thing? Will not we, like those in the universe now, need to know that God is fair? Will not we also judge angels? Yes. 1 Cor. 6:3 "Know ye not that we shall judge angels?"

What is the standard by which all will be judged? It is God's law. The thief on the cross was judged by the law. Keeping the law as he knew it, reveals that he truly had given his heart to Christ. His character at the time he hung on the cross along side of His Master revealed His Master. The investigative judgment showed his motives and thoughts and words to be in harmony with the law of God.

Sister Joan, the judgment of the living has probably already begun, but that is not important to our discussion. If I die today, I must possess the character of God in order to be in heaven for eternity. The judgment will reveal this to the universe. Stay with the thief on the cross. He is dead and his character is fixed.

Accepting the investigative judgment leaves no room for the "new theology" that is rampant in the church. Accepting the investigative judgment means that many have to take a new look at their interpretation of simple Bible passages. Those who oppose the truth, hate the investigative judgment. It reveals their error.

"It is while men are still dwelling upon the earth that the work of investigative jugement takes place in the courts of heaven. The lives of all His professed followers pass in review before God. All are examined according to the record of the the books of heaven, and according to his deeds the destiny of each is forever fixed.

By the wedding garment in the parable is represented the pure, spotless character which Christ's true followers will possess....It is the righteousness of Christ, His own unblemished character, that through faith is imparted to all who receive Him as their personal Saviour."

What we read here is no different than what is clearly stated in our Bibles. In order to see it clearly, we must have a spiritual mind and we must begin to weed out the error that has taken root.

Here is the great deception that has come upon God's people, that we might be saved in our sin. That it is not necessary to have the righteousness of Christ "imparted" to us this side of heaven. Let us learn for ourselves what is truth, that we might be a channel to give honor and glory to God.

In His love and grace,     Richard

Joan

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2001, 10:38:00 AM »
"By the wedding garment in the parable is represented the pure, spotless character which Christ's true followers will possess....It is the righteousness of Christ, His own unblemished character, that through faith is imparted to all who receive Him as their personal Saviour."

Yes, that's just how I see it. I used 'imputed' as the word for this initial process. I am meaning the same as what is here stated.

It's good to get direct information about how the investigation judgements are shaping up in the course of time events. When ever you'd like to give me more instuction about this matter I will gladly listen.

Jesus throughly accepted the thief on his cross for his confession of faith. The confession was adequate for eternal life. The righteousness of Christ was imputed to him before he died. So is how I accept it.

Joan

Thanks to Brad for his imput. I was never sure what we would be doing in the Millenium.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2001, 01:24:00 PM »
Sister Joan, imparted and imputed are completely different words. We are not able to interchange them. Did the thief on the cross have the "imparted" righteouness of Christ? This is the question. This is the great deception, that somehow God would allow the thief into heaven without having attatined to perfection of character in this life.

Joan

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2001, 02:55:00 AM »

Richard,

That's a good question about the values of the two words. I am still of the view that all starts with imputed grace of God to the sinners who repents, who then carries on in the course of living on this earth with imparted grace of God, now as a believer walking the life of santification, to reach a more perfected image of Christ within them.

Didn't Sr.White write about crowns of various glow on the heads of the saints on the new earth ?
I have the memory impression that there will be various degrees of spiritual maturity among the great multitude of believers gathered. Didn't she give words to the effect that there will be various levels of perfection of those saints gathered but each will be satisfied with their status and be as contented beings ?

There seems to be different levels of complete perfection in a Christian's life. Jesus made the thief crucified with Him complete in imputing His righteousness to him. But He did not have the completness of perfection of the level of maturity like what was formed by persecution e.g. in the lives of believers like the Waldensers because he didn't have the time span to have the shaping of the chararcter of Christ within him grow to greater predominance. There is in some a noticiable glow of maturity than in others. But still all have the reward of eternal life.

I became this imputation of Jesus's righteousness by faith for myself. I am living in a walk in His kingdom that imparts me grace from God for growing in perfection of the image of Christ within me. My heart does not live in rebellion to the law of God.  I have not attained to the hightest level but am set aside for being holy unto the Lord to achieve this goal. He santifies me by setting me apart from the gods of this world to live a holy life in service for Him. The process is called in it's entirety Santification. It's a continuous process and not a static soul condition. I can only assess my momently condition before God in relationship to salvation. When I at this moment see that there is no known sin and I am resting in faith in Jesus merits then I praise and rejoice in the Salvation He has imparted to me.

A few minutes I just came back from doing a word search of four different English dictionaries and also used two German dictionaries for the two words of impute and imparted. The results are as follow :

Combined out of the two German dictionaries :
Impart = geben = give
Impart = verleihen = awarded; grant
Impart = erteilen = bestow on

Impute = zuzuschreiben = attribute to;  confer onto; transfer to
Impute = zuzurechnen = add to; put to; ascribe to          
Impute = beizumessen = charge to; attribute to someone

Following out of the four English dictionaries :

Impart = give; grant; bestow; reveal; confer; disclose; make known
Impute = ascribe; attribute; charge to someone

There is the bible verse in Romans with the word impute :
Romans 4:8  "Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin."
Could it be that the meaning taught here is that the Lord will not charge his sins to his account ? Or better said the man will be blessed if he be not reckoned or regarded as guilty? Is not my imparted faith in Christ resulting in Him not reckoning or charging my sin to me; but instead I am treated by Him, though personally undeserving and ungodly as I am, as though the sin had not been committed ?

The imputation of Christ's righteousness is designed so I will have nothing to boast of on my own merits. His righteousness has been reckoned to me. Just as I believe that the sin of Adam is imputed to me as one of his descendants. This being born in sin is the source of my rebellion that separated me from God. I stood because of my rebellion guilty before God and thus I was in sin. The righteousness of Christ imputed to me came as I confessed faith in Him. I became attributed with the Righteousness of Jesus the Christ and my guilt before God was done away with. My sins are imputed now to Christ. The demand for justice in the eyes of God was fullfilled on the Christ on the cross. I praise him for it. Such truth does not leave me unmoved in my emotion.

Perhaps I see the nature of imputation in another light as you. But I believe the effect is the same in both of us at present standing.

Joan

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2001, 06:47:00 AM »
Sister Joan, I think we are getting closer. The definition of the two words from the English dictionaries are better. In the Biblical sense we are discussing "impute" is to stand in place of. "Impart" is to transfer, to actually give.

Adam's sin was "imparted" to us. We come into the world with a fallen nature because of his sin. It is true that we are not guilty because of his sin, but we cannot help but sin. I am not trying to be narrow here. I understand a child may be filled with the Holy Spirit at birth, but he is born "sinful" and in need of outside help, the help of Jesus through the Holy Spirit. This reveals the imparted nature of our condition. Provision has been made that we might even from birth have a righteous character.

Your discussion of imputed righteousness at conversion is very good. Without the imputed righteousness of Christ, how would our past sins be atoned for? They cannot be atoned for any other way. It is only the blood of Jesus that can atone for our sin. You are also correct in saying that there is growth or maturity in sanctification. Perfection does not mean that we have arrived and there cannot be growth. Many who come to Jesus and give the whole heart lack an understanding that there is a holy day to keep holy. Jesus does not impute this sin of breaking the fouth commandment to them for they are not willfully ignorant of it. To him that knoweth to do good and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

Where we are having our problem is on one point. It is the great deception that has taken over the Christian churches of today. At the moment of conversion, and we may stay with the thief on the cross as an example, Jesus does indeed transfer to our account, a perfect life without sin. This means that we may stand in the presence of a holy God as if we never sinned. Christ paid the price for our transgression. But, this is not enough. What good does it do to forgive past sins if we continue to sin? Jesus imparts to the believing thief His own character. He empowers him to live a holy life. He gives him a divine nature in sinful flesh. This is the transfer of the real thing. This is "imparting" the righteousness of Christ. This is held to be impossible by the "evangelicals". This is the truth, this is the power of grace. We are given a "new heart" or the "new birth."  It is not an "imputed" righteousness. It does not stand in place of the real thing. It is the "robe of Christ's righteousness" that is "given" to the sinner. This is quite a statement and the significance is great. I know that it is hard to say. It contradicts all that is commonly understood by most professing Christians. It is like the Sabbath. How can it be when most go to church on Sunday.

Recreating man is the greatest miracle that God can do. It is only possible as we behold the great love that God has for us. He gave His Son that we might live.

Joan

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2001, 10:17:00 PM »
 Thank you..that was good to read.
I sense in me the need to give acknowledgement to God's plan of Salvation in Christ, as being juristically complete in sufficiency of His vicarious act. That's why I see the initial acceptance of Jesus as my atoner for my sin as something imputed to me. I have a very strong caution in my soul not to boast of any efforts on my part to rid me of guilt before God. I am totally aware that I can not present myself before God in heaven as I am in the 'natura'. I need a holy covering. Jesus' righteousness is this covering for me as well as for anyone calling upon His name.

Up till now I have visualized approaching God in prayer, or eventually when I stand before the throne after the resurrection, based upon a juristic standing of me before God on what the act of Jesus' death vicariously gave me. I have received this act to myself in a personal way. But now you are seemingly saying that not only the act of atonement is required but the imparting of the character of Christ to make a person whole. I question you here if you mean the righteousness of Christ as being the character of Christ?  

Of course the part of living as a Christian according to the will of God in it's entirety, has been in my thinking possible only when I am filled with the Holy Spirit who enables me to make holy and right decisions governing my words and actions.

This is where I see Jesus symbolicly breathing on me to receive the H.Spirit after my conversion, so to become His sovereign rule in my daily life. I see it as power being imparted or given that of which I need to lead the victorious non-sinning existance until I die on this earth.

I know there is this pious Christian jargon of saying '..Christ does it through me' but that is a bit nebulous in it's indistinct implications because I do not visualized me being a marrionette.

I believe the best way of how I was seeing the two words,impute/impart, was the matter of Justification before God came to me as a matter of imputed vicarious cleansing. The victorious living comes as a matter of imparted power of His presence in my life.

What is new is the expression '..to receive the character of Christ'. I have not visualized this as a possible discription for the state of being in an instant.I know the usual term of '..growing into the likeness of Christ' but instant correct behaviour was not mine in the early stages of my Christian born-again walk experience. Over the years I know what it is like to experience being a victorious Christian but there have been loose connections a lot of times which needed to get fixed.

Joan

[This message has been edited by Joan (edited 07-15-2001).]

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2001, 10:14:00 AM »
It is this last matter that reveals a need to understand the condition from a Biblical perspective. You say "I
               have not visualized this as a possible discription for the state of being
               in an instant."

Let me express it in a manner that you will appreciate.  We want power to live a life that is in harmony with the ten commandments, the law of love. Many believe they can do this on their own. When they don't have this love as revealed by a breaking of the law, they excuse themselves by saying they cannot keep the law perfectly. They are correct, THEY cannot. Now, a provision has been made that they may have this love, that they may keep the law perfectly (that which they know). The provision for keeping the law is this, a living connection with Christ, not a profession of faith, but a CONNECTION to Christ is necessary.

An example that you have heard, but never assimilated into your understanding. A light bulb (you) may light an entire room. That is power!  But, on closer examination, the bulb (you) cannot light the room, in and of itself. Why? Why cannot the bulb (you) manifest this power? Here we have the answer to the great deception. We disconnect ourselves from the source of all power. It is not our power any more than the light bulb had power. The bulb (You) needs to be connected to the power source (Jesus) in order to light the room (live the law). This is an "instant" connection OR disconnection.

We fail in that we do not understand our continual need of a Savoiur. OR, we do not want this man to rule over us. We want to control our own lives. We do not trust EVERYTHING to Jesus.

The answer is to to get to know the character of our God so that we will trust Him with everything. Also, we need to understand that He has promised us this victorious life, IF we will abide in Him. If we will pray without ceasing, if we will feed upon Him, He will come in and sup with us. He will give us power that we might claim this experience: "To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in His throne."

You said "I know the usual term of '..growing into the likeness of
               Christ' but instant correct behaviour was not mine in the early stages
               of my Christian born-again walk experience. Over the years I know
               what it is like to experience being a victorious Christian but there have
               been loose connections a lot of times which needed to get fixed."

Yes, and as we look at the lives of the disciples we see the same early experience. They did not know their dependence upon Christ, but they did not take a lifetime to learn their need. After three and a half years of being taught by Jesus, they were ready for the Holy Spirit to give them more power. They had learned their need and were ready to accept being mere channels that Jesus might live through them. The Holy Spirit worked their faculties. Of course they had to consciously hold on to Jesus. They had to want the experience. They could not allow their minds to wander away from Jesus. It was an active "abiding" in Christ. They retained their free will and not only could they remove themselves from the hands of Jesus, but by default they would separate from the source of all power by neglect. The plug comes out of the receptacle if we do not continually hold it in. The light goes out when we become disconnected. It is rather simple. We need Jesus every moment in order to be filled with His love. This is His desire and this is what the Holy Spirit is speaking to each of us.

The great deception is that this is not possible, or we can do it without Jesus.  :( The truth, we can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens us.  AMEN!!  :)

Hope this helps to see that the character of Christ comes when we are connected to Him. His character flows into us. The Holy Spirit comes in and goes forth to the world revealing a supernatural love that is impossible without Him. His glory (character) is seen in His people amid the moral darkness of this world.

Jesus does not leave us alone when we separate from Him, but rather He stands at the door of our heart, knocking for entrance.  Shall we hear that voice and refuse His entrance? No, we invite Him in and repent of our failure to keep our mind stayed upon Him.  We learn from our fall and seek more help that we may be more faithful and more constant in keeping our eyes upon Jesus. He hears this prayer and answers it in the very best way that we will allow Him.  :)

In His love and grace,       Richard

Joan

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2001, 01:24:00 AM »

Thank you. That was most beautifully put. And along with that the principles are realities that have proven true in my personal life's experiences as well.

One point of awareness came to me as I read your light-connection parable. Over the years if I got to listening to the wrong kind of music for too much of the time, or talking too much idle talk as well as persuing too much of my own pleasure I loss connection with Jesus. My prayer life was silent and my bible study ignored.

Over the years I have learned what it means to go into a 'fast of silence' to expose my mind and heart to the voice of God in a regulary steady way.

Joan

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2001, 06:14:00 AM »
Amen, Sister Joan. Now let us read from Without a Wedding Garment: "In the parable, when the king inquired, 'How camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment?' the man was speechless. So it will be in the great judment day. Men may now excuse their defects of character, but in that day they will offer no excuse."

Many do indeed excuse their "defects of character" and have been given license to do so by the multitudes of false gospels that have entered the Christian churches of today. As we continue to study the life and teachings of Jesus, we shall not only see the truth, but we pray that we will allow it to transform our nature. This is our Saviour's desire. He says "Awake and see that at this time you must put on the beautiful robe of my righteousness. 'Buy of Me gold tried in the fire that thou mayest be rich, and white raiment that thou mayest be clothed.'" What was the matter with Adam and Eve? They saw that they were naked. The covering of God was not enveloping them. God says, "Buy of me." Well, what? Buy of Me My righteousness. "Buy of Me gold tried in the fire, and white raiment that thou mayest be clothed." Are we clothed with it, or are we transgressing the commandments of God by our traditions and by the maxims of men?

Today is the day of salvation. Today, we must overcome our defects of character. Today we may accept the "new heart" that gives us the character of our God. Today, we may become partakers of the divine nature. By beholding the great love of God for us while we are yet sinners, we shall become changed into His likeness!

Richard

James Saptenno

• http://
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2001, 05:44:00 AM »
Brother Richard.

How can we have this “wedding garment”? By keeping the moral law or by living after the Spirit? I think I know your answer but I just want to make it sure.

And I believe that the thieve on the cross was saved by his faith. He was justified by his faith at the last moment. This is the righteousness of Christ imputed to him. He hasn’t time to experience the imparted righteousness of Christ, but as this last one didn’t save a single soul, it didn’t matter.

In His love

James S.