Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--40--A Night on the Lake  (Read 8298 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--40--A Night on the Lake
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2019, 09:56:20 AM »
It is interesting and sad that the disciples wondered if Jesus was indeed their Messiah.  :(

They had a problem similar to that which we need to understand. When I preach that we come into the world in need of a Savior because we can do no good thing, there are some who think they can do good things prior to being converted. They think I am a heretic. They do not see that because we have a fallen evil nature we need Jesus in the heart every minute of every day if we do not want to sin. This is a serious theological heresy we face in the church. Many believe they are saved when they commit a known sin, or that they may have pride in the heart that they do not know of. When we love Jesus supremely, the Holy Spirit takes possession of the heart and cleanses it as white as snow. We have a pure heart when we make a full heart surrender to Christ. We will not come to the point of daily walking with Jesus unless we see our need of His continual presence. So it was with the disciples prior to the cross.

Jesus read the character of His disciples. He knew how sorely their faith was to be tried. In this incident on the sea He desired to reveal to Peter his own weakness,--to show that his safety was in constant dependence upon divine power. Amid the storms of temptation he could walk safely only as in utter self-distrust he should rely upon the Saviour. It was on the point where he thought himself strong that Peter was weak; and not until he discerned his weakness could he realize his need of dependence upon Christ. Had he learned the lesson that Jesus sought to teach him in that experience on the sea, he would not have failed when the great test came upon him.
     Day by day God instructs His children. By the circumstances of the daily life He is preparing them to act their part upon that wider stage to which His providence has appointed them. It is the issue of the daily test that determines their victory or defeat in life's great crisis.
     Those who fail to realize their constant dependence upon God will be overcome by temptation.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2019, 10:03:35 AM »
"A violent tempest had been stealing upon them, and they were unprepared for it. It was a sudden contrast, for the day had been perfect; and when the gale struck them, they were afraid. They forgot their disaffection, their unbelief, their impatience. Everyone worked to keep the boat from sinking. It was but a short distance by sea from Bethsaida to the point where they expected to meet Jesus, and in ordinary weather the journey required but a few hours; but now they were driven farther and farther from the point they sought. Until the fourth watch of the night they toiled at the oars. Then the weary men gave themselves up for lost. In storm and darkness the sea had taught them their own helplessness, and they longed for the presence of their Master."   

This reminds me of times in my life when I was so caught up in the gloom of unhappiness that God allowed a more intense tempest to blow to wake me up to my sin of ingratitude and my great need of Him.

We are all on a storm tossed sea of sin. We can either work to exhaustion to ride it ourselves to no avail or we can call out for help to the One who is ever watching and waiting for that humble surrendered cry.

"Jesus had not forgotten them. The Watcher on the shore saw those fear-stricken men battling with the tempest. Not for a moment did He lose sight of His disciples. With deepest solicitude His eyes followed the storm-tossed boat with its precious burden; for these men were to be the light of the world. As a mother in tender love watches her child, so the compassionate Master watched His disciples. When their hearts were subdued, their unholy ambition quelled, and in humility they prayed for help, it was given them.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2019, 05:24:19 AM »
Dorine, thank you for these thoughts. I think most reading can relate to what you've shared. It can be easy to focus on problems themselves instead of the "Problem  Solver".

When their hearts were subdued, their unholy ambition quelled, and in humility they prayed for help, it was given them.

Amen!
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Beacon

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2019, 06:20:10 PM »

"Jesus read the character of His disciples. He knew how sorely their faith was to be tried. In this incident on the sea He desired to reveal to Peter his own weakness,--to show that his safety was in constant dependence upon divine power. Amid the storms of temptation he could walk safely only as in utter self-distrust he should rely upon the Saviour. It was on the point where he thought himself strong that Peter was weak; and not until he discerned his weakness could he realize his need of dependence upon Christ. Had he learned the lesson that Jesus sought to teach him in that experience on the sea, he would not have failed when the great test came upon him.

Day by day God instructs His children. By the circumstances of the daily life He is preparing them to act their part upon that wider stage to which His providence has appointed them. It is the issue of the daily test that determines their victory or defeat in life's great crisis.
Those who fail to realize their constant dependence upon God will be overcome by temptation....Only through realizing our own weakness and looking steadfastly unto Jesus can we walk securely. It is the issue of the daily test that determines their victory or defeat in life's great crisis."

I feel impressed to share a quote with you this morning from the book "The Sanctified Life " which again reminds us of the importance of our daily communion with Jesus.

"The testing time will come to all, when the hopes of many who have for years thought themselves secure, will be seen to be without foundation. When in new positions, under varied circumstances, some who have seemed to be pillars in the house of God reveal only rotten timber beneath the paint and varnish. But the humble in heart, who have daily felt the importance of riveting their souls to the eternal Rock, will stand unmoved amid the tempests of trial, because they trusted not to themselves. “The foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his” (2 Timothy 2:19). {SL 12.1}
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2019, 05:07:52 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

May we learn of Christ each day the lesson He designs to teach us, so that our whole heart may be surrendered to Him and we can discern step by step the way He wants us to go. We individually need to have an experience of knowing the voice of God from His word, from prayer, and the direct influence of the Spirit of God addressing our hearts. God also uses nature and providential leadings to help us discern His will. As we commit our ways to Him, He will direct our steps. As we share what God is doing in our lives, it can bring hope and encouragement to them as well to know that we serve a living God of infinite love!

"Day by day God instructs His children. By the circumstances of the daily life He is preparing them to act their part upon that wider stage to which His providence has appointed them. It is the issue of the daily test that determines their victory or defeat in life's great crisis." {The Desire of Ages, page 382, paragraph 3}

May we realize our continual need of Jesus to do any good thing, and as we abide in Him and He in us, He will manifest all of the fruits of His Spirit without one missing through the character that He is daily fitting to be stronger and more useful in the winning of souls and the service He designs for us through all eternity! 
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2019, 08:16:23 AM »
"The words of Christ, "Gather up the fragments, . . . that nothing be lost," were unheeded. Those were hours of large blessing to the disciples, but they had forgotten it all. They were in the midst of troubled waters. Their thoughts were stormy and unreasonable, and the Lord gave them something else to afflict their souls and occupy their minds. God often does this when men create burdens and troubles for themselves. The disciples had no need to make trouble. Already danger was fast approaching."

I marvel at the contrast between the disciples frustration, anger and impatience toward Jesus and the way in which He responded to these unbelieving, ungrateful men. Such sweet, gentle love is bestowed upon them. They were never out of His sight or mind. Yet He knew they needed a greater storm to assail them in order for them to realize their great need of Him.

We can probably all relate to this because I know in my own life I can look back and see how He has used the same methods to get my attention. Let's never doubt our Saviours love and plans for us.

Jer 29:11  For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2019, 08:51:14 AM »
Amen dear Sister!  Many think that Jesus does not bring upon us trouble. But, He loves us too much to let us go on in "unbelief." If Satan will not intervene, then God will discipline us when needed. It is only through realizing our own weakness and looking steadfastly unto Jesus can we walk securely. If like Peter we turn from Christ and walk in our own strength, then God may choose to inflict upon us something to get our attention. When we get to heaven by God's grace, we shall be shown all that God did in order to save us, and we shall then see that this is exactly what we would have wanted Him to do.

Looking unto Jesus, Peter walks securely; but as in self-satisfaction he glances back toward his companions in the boat, his eyes are turned from the Saviour. The wind is boisterous. The waves roll high, and come directly between him and the Master; and he is afraid. For a moment Christ is hidden from his view, and his faith gives way. He begins to sink. But while the billows talk with death, Peter lifts his eyes from the angry waters, and fixing them upon Jesus, cries, "Lord, save me." Immediately Jesus grasps the outstretched hand, saying, "O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?"  Walking side by side, Peter's hand in that of his Master, they stepped into the boat together. But Peter was now subdued and silent. He had no reason to boast over his fellows, for through unbelief and self-exaltation he had very nearly lost his life. When he turned his eyes from Jesus, his footing was lost, and he sank amid the waves.

There is no greater sin than "unbelief."  At one moment Peter's faith allowed Him to walk on water. But, when He let his mind wander from Christ, unbelief took over. He did not know of his continual need of Jesus in order to walk with Him on troubled waters. As Brother Beacon and Pastor Sean have pointed out "Only through realizing our own weakness and looking steadfastly unto Jesus can we walk securely." God either allows or brings a daily test that we might see our continual need of Him and thus cling to Him that we might obtain the victory.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.