Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--22--Imprisonment and Death of John  (Read 17290 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--22--Imprisonment and Death of John
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2019, 07:13:06 AM »
"God never leads His children otherwise than they would choose to be led, if they could see the end from the beginning, and discern the glory of the purpose which they are fulfilling as co-workers with Him. Not Enoch, who was translated to heaven, not Elijah, who ascended in a chariot of fire, was greater or more honored than John the Baptist, who perished alone in the dungeon. "Unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on Him, but also to suffer for His sake." Philippians 1:29. And of all the gifts that Heaven can bestow upon men, fellowship with Christ in His sufferings is the most weighty trust and the highest honor."

God provides the help and strength in the measure we need it. All we have to do is 'trust and obey Him'. We have nothing to fear. As we read the story of John the Baptist what a contrast we see in his life compared to Herod. Herod was more of a prisoner than John was only John was a prisoner for Christ and Herod a prisoner of Satan. John died in peace. Herod died a distraught and fearful man. I pray that my life will be a witness for Jesus; that like John I will be firm as a rock in my loyalty to Christ. No matter what the circumstance is that surrounds us Christ has given us promise after promise that He will never leave us or forsake us even unto death.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2019, 08:33:37 PM »

fellowship with Christ in His sufferings is the most weighty trust and the highest honor."

Hopefully these thoughts will help all of us to #1. Trust in God Through All Circumstances. #2. To prayerfully chose our words so that they will be a positive encouragement to those in need as they pass through the crucible of intense suffering both physically and spiritually.   

Amen, Brother Beacon!  We need to be careful that we encourage, not discourge those we come in contact with, even when things are difficult.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2019, 08:46:41 PM »
Trials, however great, need not come between us and Jesus.

"But the Baptist did not surrender his faith in Christ. The memory of the voice from heaven and the descending dove, the spotless purity of Jesus, the power of the Holy Spirit that had rested upon John as he came into the Saviour's presence, and the testimony of the prophetic scriptures,--all witnessed that Jesus of Nazareth was the Promised One." {The Desire of Ages, page 216, paragraph 3}

Amen Pastor Sean. John was attacked by Satan as his disciples spoke words that would lead him to doubt the Jesus was the Messiah. John did not understand Jesus did not come to die, but he thought he was going to sit on an earthly throne. Such is the power of deception. And when doubts entered his mind as to the reality of Jesus being the Son of God, John's faith failed not.

There were hours when the whisperings of demons tortured his spirit, and the shadow of a terrible fear crept over him. Could it be that the long-hoped-for Deliverer had not yet appeared? Then what meant the message that he himself had been impelled to bear? John had been bitterly disappointed in the result of his mission. He had expected that the message from God would have the same effect as when the law was read in the days of Josiah and of Ezra (2 Chronicles 34; Nehemiah 8, 9); that there would follow a deep-seated work of repentance and returning unto the Lord. For the success of this mission his whole life had been sacrificed. Had it been in vain? 

What a trial!! But, John knew Jesus and he did not give in to the temptation to not believe. It was his character and his knowledge of Jesus that kept him faithful.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2019, 08:50:39 PM »
"God never leads His children otherwise than they would choose to be led, if they could see the end from the beginning, and discern the glory of the purpose which they are fulfilling as co-workers with Him. Not Enoch, who was translated to heaven, not Elijah, who ascended in a chariot of fire, was greater or more honored than John the Baptist, who perished alone in the dungeon. "Unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on Him, but also to suffer for His sake." Philippians 1:29. And of all the gifts that Heaven can bestow upon men, fellowship with Christ in His sufferings is the most weighty trust and the highest honor."

God provides the help and strength in the measure we need it. All we have to do is 'trust and obey Him'. We have nothing to fear. As we read the story of John the Baptist what a contrast we see in his life compared to Herod. Herod was more of a prisoner than John was only John was a prisoner for Christ and Herod a prisoner of Satan. John died in peace. Herod died a distraught and fearful man. I pray that my life will be a witness for Jesus; that like John I will be firm as a rock in my loyalty to Christ. No matter what the circumstance is that surrounds us Christ has given us promise after promise that He will never leave us or forsake us even unto death.

Amen Dear Sister Dorine. I love this statement that Jesus leads us in the very best way, and one day by His grace we shall understand why He did what He did. No matter what the circumstances, all will work for our good if we love Jesus supremely.

Beacon

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2019, 05:55:26 PM »
"Satan can present a counterfeit so closely resembling the truth that it deceives those who are willing to be deceived, who desire to shun the self-denial and sacrifice demanded by the truth...

...[b]However, It is impossible for him to hold under his power one soul who honestly desires, at whatever cost, to know the truth. Christ is the truth and the "Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world." John 1:9.
The Spirit of truth has been sent to guide men into all truth. And upon the authority of the Son of God it is declared: "Seek, and ye shall find." "If any man will do His will, he shall know of the doctrine." Matthew 7:7; John 7:17[/size][[/b]/size][/color]

This is a fantastic guarantee but..... But please note the conditional terms of this promise: We must...." SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND" "IF ANY MAN WILL DO HIS WILL, HE SHALL KNOW OF THE DOCTRINE."[/b[/size]]
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2019, 03:47:15 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

Let us keep our eyes on Jesus and remember that Satan is losing his hold on the universe by how He reveals his character, which is in such contrast to the character of Christ. Let us remember how John the Baptist closed his probation--in victory because he was faithful even unto death! As we abide in Christ, we too may be faithful no matter the situation!

"Satan was permitted to cut short the earthly life of God's messenger; but that life which 'is hid with Christ in God,' the destroyer could not reach. Colossians 3:3. He exulted that he had brought sorrow upon Christ, but he had failed of conquering John. Death itself only placed him forever beyond the power of temptation. In this warfare, Satan was revealing his own character. Before the witnessing universe he made manifest his enmity toward God and man." {The Desire of Ages, page 224, paragraph 3} 

Remember the victory is character--an entire surrender to Christ in all situations motivated by the loveliness of Jesus!!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2019, 08:33:04 AM »
Amen brother Beacon and Pastor Sean. I noticed something this morning I had not noticed before. Herod was fearful that a curse had been brought upon him for what he had done to John. What do we think the word curse means? In your mind is this a really bad thing? I think so. What does the Bible mean when it uses the word curse?

Dorine

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2019, 11:41:55 AM »
"Oh, how often those who think themselves the friends of a good man, and who are eager to show their fidelity to him, prove to be his most dangerous enemies! How often, instead of strengthening his faith, their words depress and dishearten!"

This quote made me question myself as to how often I have been that so called friend. Our words once uttered can never be withdrawn and Satan will use them over and over to his advantage for someone else's or our downfall when he can. I love how Jesus didn't answer the disciples question right away. For hours he kept on healing and working for the benefit of those in need. At last Jesus told them to go back and tell John what they had seen and heard. What joy that brought to John's heart and wiped away all doubts from his mind. May today's story protect us from giving in to the temptation to indulge in anything that would bring doubts to anyone's mind about the truth's of God's word.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2019, 07:11:14 AM »
Amen Sister Dorine!   Our words may be the straw the pushes a poor soul over the cliff. Let us encourage the poor fragile creatures that know not the love of Jesus. We need to learn the lesson we see in how Jesus worked with Judas. We do not place them in leadership positions, but we ought to love them. And, if in leadership positions, it may be better to leave them there for a moment while we pray about what to do, rather than rushing forward in our own strength and ignorance.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2019, 08:57:41 AM »
God knows the trials through which we will pass. He has strength to help us at every step. It is encouraging to see how John the Baptist's character was such that God knew he could bear the test at the end of his life. God knows what we can bear, too. "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it" (1 Corinthians 10:13). Only by continual union and communion with Christ by an unreserved surrender to Him will we be enabled to pass safety through the trials and difficulties of life without yielding to the temptations of Satan. Because Satan saw that John was not yielding to temptation to sin, the devil worked through Herodias and Herod to persecute him and cut short his life. But for one who life ends having continually yielded to Christ, there is eternal victory, for the next conscious thought of such a one is the joy of the resurrection morning when Jesus awakes the dead to immortal life. May you find courage to navigate trials today through Jesus' strength and grace.

"The childhood, youth, and manhood of John had been characterized by firmness and moral power. When his voice was heard in the wilderness saying, 'Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make His paths straight' (Matthew 3:3), Satan feared for the safety of his kingdom. The sinfulness of sin was revealed in such a manner that men trembled. Satan's power over many who had been under his control was broken. He had been unwearied in his efforts to draw away the Baptist from a life of unreserved surrender to God; but he had failed. And he had failed to overcome Jesus. In the temptation in the wilderness, Satan had been defeated, and his rage was great. Now he determined to bring sorrow upon Christ by striking John. The One whom he could not entice to sin he would cause to suffer." {The Desire of Ages, page 224, paragraph 1}

While we are not to seek suffering as Christians, we can remember that we need not fear what the devil may try to do against us in bringing suffering to us, since God only allows what can work for our eternal good and His glory. "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose" (Romans 8:28).
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2019, 09:44:38 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. Any suffering that comes to us when we abide in Christ is for our good and God's glory. It is sad to realize that Satan caused John to suffer because it would bring sorrow to Jesus. Is it not the same today when we suffer? It hurts Jesus. But, His reward for His suffering is to see His character reflected in our lives.

There is a lesson to learn from this chapter regarding our suffering.

God never leads His children otherwise than they would choose to be led, if they could see the end from the beginning, and discern the glory of the purpose which they are fulfilling as co-workers with Him. Not Enoch, who was translated to heaven, not Elijah, who ascended in a chariot of fire, was greater or more honored than John the Baptist, who perished alone in the dungeon. "Unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on Him, but also to suffer for His sake." Philippians 1:29. And of all the gifts that Heaven can bestow upon men, fellowship with Christ in His sufferings is the most weighty trust and the highest honor.

Such a promise!!

Beacon

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2019, 09:59:48 PM »
"If God be for us, who can be against us? He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things? Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth. Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter."

The song says....All to Jesus I surrender All to Him I freely give.....When the last great storm of persecution becomes reality as predicted in Daniel 12:1 The story of John's courage in the face of many howling demons should be a great inspiration to us also. Can we begin to imagine what it must have been like for Jesus on the cross of Calvary when it seemed to Him that even His Father had forsaken Him?

Romans 8:36-39 "says, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Let us also remember that Jesus promised to " Never Leave Us Nor Forsake Us." Even if He permits us to die for His Honor and Glory He will most certainly call us forth on the Resurrection Morning  "

Dorine

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2019, 06:13:14 AM »
But the Baptist did not surrender his faith in Christ. The memory of the voice from heaven and the descending dove, the spotless purity of Jesus, the power of the Holy Spirit that had rested upon John as he came into the Saviour's presence, and the testimony of the prophetic scriptures,--all witnessed that Jesus of Nazareth was the Promised One.

This reminds me of the quote that says; "We have nothing to fear for the future, except as we shall forget the way the Lord has led us, and His teaching in our past history."

While Satan tempted John to doubt the reality of Jesus being the looked for Messiah, John remembered what he had witnessed at the baptism of Jesus and his faith in Jesus could not be shaken. When things look bleak and we are tempted to be discouraged or question God's leading, we are to remember how the Lord has led us in the past and that He will not forsake us now or ever.

Romans 8:28: "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2019, 06:56:51 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!

Our Savior actively leads us, though at times that means we go through very trying situations. Jesus' character and mission were made evident by how He treated the sin-sick souls around Him, adapting His manner of labor to their needs to be able to win their hearts by His love. Thankfully, John the Baptist had his faith anchored in God's word and in the revelation of Christ's character, even though it went contrary to the popular conception of the Messiah. We need to look to Christ continually and trust that God will lead and shepherd us in His plan and path.

"Thus the day wore away, the disciples of John seeing and hearing all. At last Jesus called them to Him, and bade them go and tell John what they had witnessed, adding, 'Blessed is he, whosoever shall find none occasion of stumbling in Me.' Luke 7:23, R. V. The evidence of His divinity was seen in its adaptation to the needs of suffering humanity. His glory was shown in His condescension to our low estate." {The Desire of Ages, page 217, paragraph 1}

God's glory is seen in how He treats weak, erring, broken sinners with His love. Let us allow Christ in us the hope of glory to manifest that character through us to those around us this day, for when Christ is in us all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives--not one will be missing!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2019, 09:54:23 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. Even though John was taught error regarding the mission of Jesus, he understood the character of Jesus  and did not lose his faith in Him.

But the Baptist did not surrender his faith in Christ. The memory of the voice from heaven and the descending dove, the spotless purity of Jesus, the power of the Holy Spirit that had rested upon John as he came into the Saviour's presence, and the testimony of the prophetic scriptures,--all witnessed that Jesus of Nazareth was the Promised One.

This reminds me of the quote that says; "We have nothing to fear for the future, except as we shall forget the way the Lord has led us, and His teaching in our past history."

While Satan tempted John to doubt the reality of Jesus being the looked for Messiah, John remembered what he had witnessed at the baptism of Jesus and his faith in Jesus could not be shaken. When things look bleak and we are tempted to be discouraged or question God's leading, we are to remember how the Lord has led us in the past and that He will not forsake us now or ever.

Amen dear Sister Dorine. I was impressed with the same truth. While John was deceived about the mission of Christ, he had been given great evidence that Jesus was the Lamb of God, the Son of God. We too have been given great evidence through Scripture and our experience that Jesus is the Son of God and the Bible His Word. We too shall come face to face with things we do not understand. God will leave hooks for us to hang our doubts upon. But, like John, we have no excuse for any unbelief.

Like the Saviour's disciples, John the Baptist did not understand the nature of Christ's kingdom. He expected Jesus to take the throne of David; and as time passed, and the Saviour made no claim to kingly authority, John became perplexed and troubled. He had declared to the people that in order for the way to be prepared before the Lord, the prophecy of Isaiah must be fulfilled; the mountains and hills must be brought low, the crooked made straight, and the rough places plain. He had looked for the high places of human pride and power to be cast down. He had pointed to the Messiah as the One whose fan was in His hand, and who would thoroughly purge His floor, who would gather the wheat into His garner, and burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire. Like the prophet Elijah, in whose spirit and power he had come to Israel, he looked for the Lord to reveal Himself as a God that answereth by fire.
     In his mission the Baptist had stood as a fearless reprover of iniquity, both in high places and in low. He had dared to face King Herod with the plain rebuke of sin. He had not counted his life dear unto himself, that he might fulfill his appointed work. And now from his dungeon he watched for the Lion of the tribe of Judah to cast down the pride of the oppressor, and to deliver the poor and him that cried. But Jesus seemed to content Himself with gathering disciples about Him, and healing and teaching the people. He was eating at the tables of the publicans, while every day the Roman yoke rested more heavily upon Israel, while King Herod and his vile paramour worked their will, and the cries of the poor and suffering went up to heaven.
     To the desert prophet all this seemed a mystery beyond his fathoming. There were hours when the whisperings of demons tortured his spirit, and the shadow of a terrible fear crept over him. Could it be that the long-hoped-for Deliverer had not yet appeared? Then what meant the message that he himself had been impelled to bear? John had been bitterly disappointed in the result of his mission. He had expected that the message from God would have the same effect as when the law was read in the days of Josiah and of Ezra (2 Chronicles 34; Nehemiah 8, 9); that there would follow a deep-seated work of repentance and returning unto the Lord. For the success of this mission his whole life had been sacrificed. Had it been in vain?
     John was troubled to see that through love for him, his own disciples were cherishing unbelief in regard to Jesus. Had his work for them been fruitless? Had he been unfaithful in his mission, that he was now cut off from labor? If the promised Deliverer had appeared, and John had been found true to his calling, would not Jesus now overthrow the oppressor's power, and set free His herald?

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2020, 08:27:40 AM »
What if God wants to bless you in ways you do not understand at the time? Because God is infinite in love, we can trust Him and surrender the whole heart to Him as we behold the loveliness of Jesus, finding that it is a privilege to go through any experience that His providence deems best. Enoch did walk into heaven. Elijah went up to heaven in a chariot of fire. But John the Baptist, who suffered for being a consistent witness against the sins of his time as the herald of Christ's first advent, lost his life in prison and is more highly honored than the two aforementioned men who are already in heaven. Why? John shared an experience with Christ in suffering that in terms of eternity means he has had the privilege of better understanding the character of God from what He went through. That is why we can also thank God that He trusts us to be able to suffer for His sake, for the experience we have with Jesus is worth more than gold. "I will make a man more precious than fine gold; even a man than the golden wedge of Ophir" (Isaiah 13:12). But if God wants to bless you by translating you like He did Enoch, that is not a negative. It is just to say that we need to let God choose the path that is best for us, and walk in His will as we come to discern His still, small voice.

"God never leads His children otherwise than they would choose to be led, if they could see the end from the beginning, and discern the glory of the purpose which they are fulfilling as co-workers with Him. Not Enoch, who was translated to heaven, not Elijah, who ascended in a chariot of fire, was greater or more honored than John the Baptist, who perished alone in the dungeon. 'Unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on Him, but also to suffer for His sake.' Philippians 1:29. And of all the gifts that Heaven can bestow upon men, fellowship with Christ in His sufferings is the most weighty trust and the highest honor." {The Desire of Ages, page 224, paragraph 5}

Let us not be ashamed to share what God has done in our lives and how His providences have guided us thus far if we have chosen to completely surrender to Christ the entire heart so He can make it new, and imbue us with all of the fruits of His Spirit without one missing!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2020, 09:00:24 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean!  There is much to share in this chapter, but what is most needed is an understanding that God gives us the opportunity to partake in the sufferings of Christ. Is it appreciated that God considers our suffering to be an honor? It is foreign to the world. But, for those who have suffered long, it becomes more clear that it is the life of the mature Christian. Some verses come to mind that illustrate  we ought to know it is for our good and God's glory that we suffer in this world.

And not only [so], but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us." Romans 5:3-5.

Another verse shows Jesus suffered that He might learn to be obedient, even though He was always obedient. He became more obedient in that He could be tempted to a much higher level as His character became more and more strong. He could not endure Gethsemane when He was six years old. So it is with us. We become more mature as we suffer when we are trusting in Jesus. "Though He were a Son, yet learned He obedience by the things which He suffered; And being made perfect, He became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey Him." Hebrews 5:8,9.

We will repeat this truth often: "'Unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on Him, but also to suffer for His sake.' Philippians 1:29. And of all the gifts that Heaven can bestow upon men, fellowship with Christ in His sufferings is the most weighty trust and the highest honor."

Beacon

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2020, 03:01:49 PM »
"John was troubled to see that through love for him, his own disciples were cherishing unbelief in regard to Jesus. Had his work for them been fruitless? Had he been unfaithful in his mission, that he was now cut off from labor? If the promised Deliverer had appeared, and John had been found true to his calling, would not Jesus now overthrow the oppressor's power, and set free His herald?"

I believe that just ahead of us there is coming a time, when we also, if faithful to Jesus will be tested in ways whereby we may be tempted to feel forsaken by Jesus. No wonder the devil wants to keep us so distracted!!  We must not let this happen. It is "NOW" that we must be preparing for the testing time by the study of the WORD,,,By Reflecting and Remembering how Jesus has led us into a glorious personal relationship with Him. Remembering how many times He has forgiven us and picked us up and restored us to the "Path" that leads to eternal life. We must remember this story and example of what John experienced. [/u]

"But the Baptist did not surrender his faith in Christ. The memory of the voice from heaven and the descending dove, the spotless purity of Jesus, the power of the Holy Spirit that had rested upon John as he came into the Saviour's presence, and the testimony of the prophetic scriptures,--all witnessed that Jesus of Nazareth was the Promised One."

Beacon

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2020, 05:24:31 PM »
"God never leads His children otherwise than they would choose to be led, if they could see the end from the beginning, and discern the glory of the purpose which they are fulfilling as co-workers with Him. Not Enoch, who was translated to heaven, not Elijah, who ascended in a chariot of fire, was greater or more honored than John the Baptist, who perished alone in the dungeon. 'Unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on Him, but also to suffer for His sake.' Philippians 1:29. And of all the gifts that Heaven can bestow upon men, fellowship with Christ in His sufferings is the most weighty trust and the highest honor."

What was it that kept John loyal to his calling while suffering in isolation in his loathsome prison cell?

"But the Baptist did not surrender his faith in Christ. The memory of the voice from heaven and the descending dove, the spotless purity of Jesus, the power of the Holy Spirit that had rested upon John as he came into the Saviour's presence, and the testimony of the prophetic scriptures,--all witnessed that Jesus of Nazareth was the Promised One."

John kept his mind and spirit focused on Jesus and as he reviewed his own personal experiences with Jesus he found renewed strength and courage through the great promise found in... Isaiah chapter 25:8 & 9  *He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord God will wipe away tears from off all faces; and the rebuke of his people shall he take away from off all the earth: for the Lord hath spoken it. And it shall be said in that day, Lo, this is our God; we have waited for him, and he will save us: this is the Lord; we have waited for him, we will be glad and rejoice in his salvation."

If we are to remain faithful to our God when our testing time comes, AND IT WILL COME...We must "NOW" be experiencing a close personal walk with Jesus through the study of His Word and by Sharing His wonderful offer of salvation with others. Friends our enemy SATAN will do everything he can to keep us occupied with things that are all going to burn up and pass away. Now is the time to focus on being ready for that which will last for eternity.  

WILL WE BE READY?

Dorine

« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2020, 04:02:06 AM »
"The witness borne of him after his death, by those who had heard his testimony to Jesus, was, "John did no miracle: but all things that John spake of this Man were true." John 10:41. It was not given to John to call down fire from heaven, or to raise the dead, as Elijah did, nor to wield Moses' rod of power in the name of God. He was sent to herald the Saviour's advent, and to call upon the people to prepare for His coming. So faithfully did he fulfill his mission, that as the people recalled what he had taught them of Jesus, they could say, "All things that John spake of this Man were true." Such witness to Christ every disciple of the Master is called upon to bear."

We may feel that we have not accomplished great things in the work of God as we would like but the story of John is very uplifting and encouraging. We are to be witnesses to Christ just as John was. If God chooses to use us in a miraculous way that is wonderful but if He chooses to use us in a very humble work as John then there is no greater privilege than to lead souls to Christ. That in itself is a miracle.