Author Topic: Dr. Ben Carson Scheduled for Surgery  (Read 12332 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Dr. Ben Carson Scheduled for Surgery
« on: July 14, 2002, 06:47:00 PM »
Seventh-day Day Adventist physician, Ben Carson has been diagnosed with cancer and is scheduled for surgery in August.

Dr. Benjamin Carson has been Director of the Division of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins since 1984. He is Professor Neurosurgery, Plastic Surgery, Oncology and Pediatrics. He is also the Co-Director of the Johns Hopkins Craniofacial Center. His practice includes traumatic brain injuries, brain  and spinal cord tumors, achondroplasia, neurological and congenital disorders, craniosynostosis, epilepsy, and trigeminal neuralgia.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Joan

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2002, 11:42:00 PM »

ohhh, that sadens me.
This dear precious brother. His life story from the book and from the video has so left a deep grateful impression of praise to God in my life. Just by reading. Now think of all the ones of little people who have been helped to lead a better life because of his surgery on them.

Many will be praying for his fight against this cancer evil in his own body. His coming surgery is just one part of the whole.

Joan

Wendy

• http://www.megspace.com/religion/cainan/
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2002, 02:26:00 PM »
That is sad news, I pray everything goes well for him.

------------------
WendyL ~ Maranatha!:)

WendyL ~ Maranatha!:)

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2002, 12:31:00 AM »
I like that "a part of the whole." There is some reason God has allowed this. And when bad things happen we can trust Him just like we do when things are going good because He is still our Leader, and He is still leading us.   :)
We will pray for this dear brother.
With Christian Love,
Marie

Joan

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2002, 01:50:00 AM »

If there is any breaking news then his home church http://www.spencervillesda.org/
will most likely report it.

Being in Baltimore area he belongs to the Northeastern conference and they have an update on him already at http://www.northeastern.org/

Joan

Clive Nevell

• http://
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2002, 11:51:00 PM »
Good information as one of our church ladies asked me how she could contact the Carsen family. She knows Ben and his wife well.
Clive

Joan

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2002, 05:13:00 AM »
Clive,

One of your church ladies said “I know him well”? I wonder with which criteria the person speaking sized up her relationship to Dr.Carson  :) Of course it may well be and Dr. Carson would affirm that. But even here where I live a person said that about me to another. I got wind of it and could only just shake my head in ironical disbelief. My standard of another knowing me ‘well’ is sure different from the standard of judgment that other person had of me  :)

Nevertheless a wish to contact Dr. Ben Carson was stated and the best help I could offer you to give her is to click on this link to his home church http://www.spencervillesda.org/
Then click on the ‘email staff’ and repeat the wish to contact him in an email to the church staff. The request will be forwarded to Ben Carson.

Oh, yes…by the way…a member of his church wrote me that what I was implying that Spencerville Church belongs to NorthEasternConference was in actuality not at all correct. The Spencerville SDA church belongs to the Chesapeake Conference.
I was real glad for the correction.

Joan

Joan

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2002, 10:28:00 AM »

:) Blessings and Love from us TROL's onto our secret admirer  ;) who just emailed me this link story about Ben Carson. The two of them are real friends. It is the best written story I have read in years of any subject printed. Beautifully done!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/style/

Great going on writer Phil McCombs!
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, August 7, 2002

Joan

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2002, 01:30:00 AM »
UPDATE :

Positive assessment of Dr.Ben’s surgery procedure by his surgeon. We need to wait up till the lab reports are final to know the fuller picture.
Here is the latest article from Washington Post news release on him :

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A57448-2002Aug7.html

Dugald T Lewis MD

• Moderator at Rest
    • http://www.drdugaldlewis.com
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2002, 04:14:00 PM »
Having witnessed several other young physicians battle cancer and other life threatening illnesses, I truly empathize with my brother Ben Carson, and wish to extend great concern and best wishes to him and his family.

I am happy to hear that there is a great chance that there may not be any LN metastases and that the diseased tissue has been fully resected. The strong faith of Dr Carson and his family is part of the healing process.

We know not why this has illness been permitted, but I can certainly say that our God makes no mistakes in allowing bad situations to sometimes come into our lives.  

My prayer for Ben is that he would use this opportunity in his life to more thoroughly investigate the role that God has assigned for him.

Because he is an international celebrity, it would be good to see him bring greater  attention to the God-given message of health reform that is badly needed in our world today, and for which more outspoken voices are needed from within the medical profession.

Dugald

[This message has been edited by Dugald T Lewis MD (edited 08-14-2002).]

Joan

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2002, 02:24:00 AM »

Dugald,

Yes, I can well imagine you having experience with many you know having had to struggle with cancer. I agree with your sentiments and hope for the best as well to come out of this for the sake of glory to God and uplift of the kingdom's purposes.

Today I entered into Washington Post main archive to get the latest update. It is a good one, Prase The Lord !

Saturday, August 10, 2002; Page C03

Carson's Encouraging News

>Lab reports confirmed yesterday that Ben Carson's cancer was confined to his prostate, which was removed during surgery Wednesday, a Johns Hopkins Hospital spokeswoman said. The pediatric neurosurgeon, author and inspirational role model for youth, was recovering yesterday and hoped to go home today.

Hopkins urologist Patrick C. Walsh, who operated on Carson, was quoted by the spokeswoman as saying that the pathology studies on tissue removed during the surgery "couldn't be better." A spokeswoman for Carson's office at Hopkins said this means there should be no need for radiation or chemotherapy.<

There might be more in the article as it was printed on the 10th but I don't have a subscription to W.Post and couldn't read further. Nevertheless prayer has been positively for the good answered.

Joan

Joan

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2002, 04:11:00 AM »
America Worries Itself About Ben Carson

11 August 2002 - Berne/Switzerland
[ Martin Haase ]
EuroAfrica News Network
SDA Euro-Africa Division

The first of a number of reports the Washington Post gave stated on 7 August 2002 that the neurosurgeon,  Dr. Ben Carson, was stricken with cancer. Radio reports had spread a erroneous message that Dr. Carson was suffering from a brain tumor. This proved to be a false rumor.

Personalities from politics, film and economics, as well as the influencial medical profession called to prayers for Ben Carson. "He can not die," said the president of the Children's Cancer Foundation, " We still need him to help out here on earth those children suffering with brain tumors.

"He’s worked wonders“ says Dan Angel, a hollywood produzent, who is planning to film B.Carson’s life story with Whoopi Goldberg dominant in the film, "and now he needs one himself.“  

In the meantime it is clearly evident that  Dr. Carson has taken ill with an aggressive form of  prostate cancer. The operation took place without problems. A speaker of the John Hopkins hospital  gave the announcement on 10 August 2002 , the tumor was completely removed. "It couldn’t have gone better“ were the words of the treating Urologe Dr. Patrick C Walsh. Statements from the office of Dr. Carson, said that irradiation or a chemotherapy will not be necessary.

Dr. Ben Carson is a director for Neurochirugie of the child department John of the Hopkins hospital in Baltimore, Maryland. He annually operates on over 400 children with brain tumors. Fifty-year old Dr. Carson attained to world fame, when he separated the Binder twins, residents of Ulm, Germany whose heads were grown at the top together. In September 1987  it was a successful twenty-two-hour operation.

Grown up in the slums of Detroit, the neuro-surgeon ranks among the most well-known role models of todays afro-American youth. His biography appeared 1994 in the Advent publishing house which has published it in multi-languages.

Dugald T Lewis MD

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2002, 01:31:00 PM »
ANN Feature: Top Adventist Neurosurgeon Dr. Ben Carson Undergoes Successful Surgery
August 20, 2002 Baltimore, Maryland, USA .... [Jonathan Gallagher/ANN]

Ben Carson, director of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins hospital, underwent successful surgery for prostate cancer August 7.

Leading Seventh-day Adventist neurosurgeon Dr. Ben Carson underwent successful surgery for prostate cancer August 7 at his own place of work, the internationally known Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.

“The surgery was very successful,” reports Carson, 50, from his home in Upperco, Maryland. “The cancer was contained, but within one millimeter of breaking through. The nodes were all negative, and the nerves were spared. I am going to continue.”

Carson first learned of the diagnosis during an operation he was performing. “A nurse held the phone to my ear and I was told it was cancer, and a high-grade cancer too. That kind of threw me for a loop,” Carson admits. “I said thank you, and tried not to think about it during the operation.”

“On my way home the thought weighed heavily on me,” Carson continues. “The cancer could possibly have already metastasized--after all I was almost two decades younger than those usually diagnosed with prostate cancer. The cancer was also high-grade. I had something that could kill me. It wasn’t the thought of dying, but of leaving family, patients, staff—-the myriad people that were depending on me. I felt like I would be betraying them, and as I say, this weighed heavily on me. My wife Candy and I talked about it-—we were not 100 percent sure what this all meant. While it was kind of frightening, Candy reminded me that the Lord would take care of it, because He always does.”

However throughout the ordeal, Carson says he kept his confident faith in God. “Even in the bleakest moments--thinking that I may have had metastatic disease to the spine--my faith was strong. As I’ve said before, I believe God never makes mistakes. This gives me great confidence. Even if I die, it will be for a reason, and God will make the best of it. To my dying breath I will have confidence in God, and be sure that He will take care of everything. By the same token I didn’t think God would let me die, even if I did have metastatic disease to the spine--He could solve the problem and cure me. It wasn’t going to happen.”

Carson is now convalescing but is looking forward to returning shortly to both his professional activities and his many speaking engagements. He is the director of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins, the author of over 90 professional medical articles, the recipient of 27 honorary doctorates, and the writer of three books: Gifted Hands, Think Big, and The Big Picture.

SOURCE: Adventist News Network

Dugald T Lewis MD

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2002, 01:31:00 PM »
ANN Feature: Top Adventist Neurosurgeon Dr. Ben Carson Undergoes Successful Surgery
August 20, 2002 Baltimore, Maryland, USA .... [Jonathan Gallagher/ANN]

Ben Carson, director of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins hospital, underwent successful surgery for prostate cancer August 7.

Leading Seventh-day Adventist neurosurgeon Dr. Ben Carson underwent successful surgery for prostate cancer August 7 at his own place of work, the internationally known Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.

“The surgery was very successful,” reports Carson, 50, from his home in Upperco, Maryland. “The cancer was contained, but within one millimeter of breaking through. The nodes were all negative, and the nerves were spared. I am going to continue.”

Carson first learned of the diagnosis during an operation he was performing. “A nurse held the phone to my ear and I was told it was cancer, and a high-grade cancer too. That kind of threw me for a loop,” Carson admits. “I said thank you, and tried not to think about it during the operation.”

“On my way home the thought weighed heavily on me,” Carson continues. “The cancer could possibly have already metastasized--after all I was almost two decades younger than those usually diagnosed with prostate cancer. The cancer was also high-grade. I had something that could kill me. It wasn’t the thought of dying, but of leaving family, patients, staff—-the myriad people that were depending on me. I felt like I would be betraying them, and as I say, this weighed heavily on me. My wife Candy and I talked about it-—we were not 100 percent sure what this all meant. While it was kind of frightening, Candy reminded me that the Lord would take care of it, because He always does.”

However throughout the ordeal, Carson says he kept his confident faith in God. “Even in the bleakest moments--thinking that I may have had metastatic disease to the spine--my faith was strong. As I’ve said before, I believe God never makes mistakes. This gives me great confidence. Even if I die, it will be for a reason, and God will make the best of it. To my dying breath I will have confidence in God, and be sure that He will take care of everything. By the same token I didn’t think God would let me die, even if I did have metastatic disease to the spine--He could solve the problem and cure me. It wasn’t going to happen.”

Carson is now convalescing but is looking forward to returning shortly to both his professional activities and his many speaking engagements. He is the director of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins, the author of over 90 professional medical articles, the recipient of 27 honorary doctorates, and the writer of three books: Gifted Hands, Think Big, and The Big Picture.

SOURCE: Adventist News Network

Suzanne

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2002, 04:05:00 PM »
An article in the Adventist Review, Oct. 24, 2002, gives this information.

World-Famous Doctor Becomes the Patient

The world famous Dr. Ben Carson received the devastating news that he had a high grade of cancer. Wanting to do all he could to help his health he started to eat better by cutting out such things as potato chips and soda. He also read Ellen White's book The Ministry of Healing, and prayed for direction. (Comment: I'm pretty sure he was already a vegetarian).

After successful surgery, Dr. Carson said, "The cancer was contained, but within one millimeter of breaking through [to spread through my body]."

He is now recuperating and will return to full-time work soon. His experience taught him that he needs to spend more time appreciating God and the good things He gives. And he plans to spend more time with his family.

(The November NAD Edition of the Adventist Review, will carry more info on Dr. Carson in an article entitled: "Gifted Hands--In God's Hands.")

Comment: I was especially interested in the notation about the doctor giving up potato chips and soda. I too came to the same conclusion about soda after reading on the Internet about a lady noted for her beautiful skin. She mentioned that she does not drink sodas. Potato chips, well, the lastest info on these tasty nuggets is not good. We have cut down to almost none.

~Suzanne~

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2002, 07:57:00 PM »
Thank you for sharing, Sister Suzanne. It is good to see Seventh-day Adventist physicians reading Ministry of Healing and improving their diet. God is working for His people. Soon the world will see true medical missionary work done on a larger scale. God is working to bring good from what we see as great devastation.

Richard

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.