Author Topic: Drought  (Read 13079 times)

WendyForsyth

• http://
Drought
« on: May 08, 2001, 09:36:00 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RELENTLESS HEAT WAVE BAKES INDIA AND PAKISTAN May 8, 2001

Discovery News reports: “ Relentless heat and drought have sent hundreds of thousands of people fleeing parched areas of 3 states in India, including quake-ravaged Gujarat. Temperatures soaring to as high as 123 degrees Fahrenheit (50 degrees Celsius) have dried up reservoirs and streams across northern India and parts of neighboring Pakistan, and at least 20 people have perished from malnutrition and heat-related disorders in recent days.
Power failures are affecting many regions of India due to the lack of hydroelectric generating capacity caused by the scant rainfall. Water supplies have now been depleted by 3 years of drought. Millions of head of livestock are also in trouble. Wildlife officials report that antelope, elephants and deer are wandering into villages in search of water in the eastern Indian state of Orissa…”

I have no doubt that God considers you to be one of His friends; otherwise He would not trust you with so many crosses, sufferings and humiliations. Crosses are God's means of drawing souls closer to Himself.

Fenelon

WendyForsyth

• http://
Re: Drought
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2001, 09:39:00 PM »

NEW DROUGHT DESTROYING CROPS IN NORTH KOREA May 8, 2001

Discovery News reports: “The official Korean Central News Agency reported that nearly 60 days of ongoing drought has caused ‘huge damage’ to fields across the country. The report said that little rainfall had been registered at official weather stations across the country since March 3. International aid agencies had previously warned that new food shortages were likely to occur this year in the disaster-plagued country, and that food rations would probably become exhausted later this month.
Crops planted during the spring are now reported to have withered, which will soon leave the nation entirely dependent on international relief supplies. The heat and drought have also sparked numerous wildfires in both rural and urban areas…”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no doubt that God considers you to be one of His friends; otherwise He would not trust you with so many crosses, sufferings and humiliations. Crosses are God's means of drawing souls closer to Himself.

Fenelon

colporteur

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 04:20:46 PM »

Last winter here was the warmest and driest winter i can remember and probably on record. While we received a couple of timely rains this spring that seemed like the drought pattern was ending it has not rained in any signifcant amount for two months while it has been very warm and windy. Tommorrow the forecast is for 108 degrees. I have never seen temps that even approached that. When I was a kid there were a few times when the mercury reached 100 but that was rare and 35-40 years ago.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 04:30:24 PM »
It's pretty bad, Colporteur. Denver's all-time record high of 105 happened this week. That state is in deep trouble with no rain and five seven major forest fires. It is but a glimpse of prophecy.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

colporteur

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 07:37:49 PM »
Yes, i have applied upwards of 8000 gal. of water to my garden in the past two weeks.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 04:33:29 AM »
I wish I could send you some of our excess, cp.  Ever since the middle of April we've had well above normal precipitation.  I think I've had over 6" of rain so far in June.  2" of that has been since last Friday.  And it's still coming down.   These systems get stuck in place and just keep spinning, dumping copious amounts of water on us.  They call it an "Omega block."  It means you get hot, dry weather, and we get cool, wet weather.  Sometimes lately I feel like I'm in Newfoundland--or England.  ::)  Given a choice, I'd go back to the "heat wave" we had last week.  It hit 90 three days in a row.  My garden needed it.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 10:38:59 AM »
Things are out of the ordinary.  In California we have had beautiful weather that I do not ever recall. It was in the 70s this past week. Usually we are in the mid nineties to 105. We do not get rain in the summer, so we are used to having to water the garden with 100 degree heat. Many will attempt to blame man for the natural disasters and there is some truth in that. But, it is not a "scientific" answer. Because of man's sin, God is withdrawing His Spirit and blessings from the world. He is allowing Satan to have more control over the elements. And America, that nation greatly blessed by God, having rejected Him, will begin to see what happens when God is  mocked and rejected. He withdraws His protection as we saw on 9/11.

Yes, drought and heat are coming. So is famine in America, earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, fires, floods, accidents, and war. It is time to find a safe hiding  place. Only in Christ.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 09:39:57 PM »
While listening to a new report today, we were reminded that every night the grocery stores are busy restocking their shelves. It will not take long to empty the shelves when an emergency hits. Now is the time to be learning how to become more self sufficient in regards to growing and canning food. The day is soon coming when there will be famine in America and the whole world.  We must make Jesus our fortress and He will bless all that we do.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 06:09:20 AM »
Report shows US drought worsening after weeks of improvement; no rain forecast in worst areas
By Jim Suhr, The Associated Press | Associated Press – 15 hrs ago

ST. LOUIS - The worst U.S. drought in decades has deepened again after more than a month of encouraging reports of slowly improving conditions, a drought-tracking consortium said Wednesday, as scientists struggled for an explanation other than a simple lack of rain.

While more than half of the continental U.S. has been in a drought since summer, rain storms had appeared to be easing the situation week by week since late September. But that promising run ended with Wednesday's weekly U.S. Drought Monitor report, which showed increases in the portion of the country in drought and the severity of it.

The report showed that 60.1 per cent of the lower 48 states were in some form of drought as of Tuesday, up from 58.8 per cent the previous week. The amount of land in extreme or exceptional drought — the two worst classifications — increased from 18.3 per cent to 19.04 per cent.

Read more from the AP

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 10:09:49 AM »
They can blame it on our heating our homes and driving to work, but there have always been droughts and there will be until the end. The Bible tell us about what is coming upon the earth. It is not because of our using fossil fuels, but because many of these who dictate such things are immoral. And  not just them, but societies around the world are becoming as the world was just before the great flood. But, the Bible will not be acknowledge as truth by most who are soon to perish when "mother earth" is destroyed by fire. Sin and sinners will be no more.

It might be good for us to remember that the Sahara desert was not always desert and the Dust Bowl in America was during a drought. We want clean air and water, but we also want to drive to work and to heat our homes. Those who want to restrict our use of these fuels and contribute to higher prices are hurting poor people and our economy.

There there was the three and a half years in Israel when there was no rain at all.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 04:10:04 PM »
Update on California drought. Driest January on record: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/15/california-drought_n_4605146.html

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 04:59:03 PM »
Wish I could share some of the precipitation we've gotten over the past few months.  We had 2 1/2' of snow in December and over 3" of rain (most of it freezing rain  :( ) since Christmas.  Last year, every month from May through September had well above average rainfall.

When I worked at Pinecrest Camp back in the mid-70's, we were having drought conditions and there was very little snow on the ground by the end of January.  Back in Sept., our redwood water tanks were drying out and what little water there was was leaking out the sides.  When there is good water flow, the wood remains swollen, thus sealing the sides.  At any rate, the first 10 days of Feb., 1975, we had 10' of snow, and the first week of April the snow was 10 1/2' deep.  We still had 2' on the ground on June 1.  I'm not saying that this will happen this year, but one never knows.  Calif. has always been plagued by wet/dry cycles.  If so much water weren't wasted by poor irrigation methods and evaporation from the All American Canal, they might not be in such dire straights.  And maybe all those southern Californians could stop filling their swimming pools for awhile.  ::)
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 05:07:44 PM »
They could use some wet right now with the fire now roaring 25 miles from LA.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 06:18:17 AM »
If they get desperate enough,  when will they start pumping seawater as fire protectant water ?
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 01:03:39 PM »
They should, years ago, have started building desalination plants along the coast.  All frivolous water use (swimming pools, lawn watering, car washing, etc.) could come through a different meter.  But maybe the environmental wackos would have tried to stop it.  If LA wants its swimming pools, let them do it the expensive way.

I believe they use seawater now, in some places, to drop on forest fires.  Helicopters scoop it up and then go dump it.

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 11:28:56 AM »
NBC has photos posted of the Folsom reservoir, one from 7-2011 and one from 1-2014.  It says that the reservoir has gone from 97% filled to 17% filled. That's obvious from the photos. What I am wondering is how it could have dried up so fast. Has there been a drought in CA for the last 3.5 years? Did it dry that fast, or was the water drained off for irrigation and such?
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

colporteur

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 01:21:34 PM »
That large underground water reservoir ( cannot spell it) that runs half way across the US I have been told is almost entirely gone. The rural water people said it was once 250 deep and running clear across the country. They say is is now less that 80  feet deep and that the farmers have been mining it dry even under normal years. In other words, it has never rained enough even in normal years  to replenish was was taken. Add this to the fact that it has been very dry in much of that region for quite a number of years and the irrigation of the water has exacerbated the problem.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 05:09:13 PM »
That large underground water reservoir ( cannot spell it) that runs half way across the US I have been told is almost entirely gone.

Ogallala.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 05:14:28 PM »
NBC has photos posted of the Folsom reservoir, one from 7-2011 and one from 1-2014.  It says that the reservoir has gone from 97% filled to 17% filled. That's obvious from the photos. What I am wondering is how it could have dried up so fast. Has there been a drought in CA for the last 3.5 years? Did it dry that fast, or was the water drained off for irrigation and such?

Most of the reservoirs in Calif. fill up in the winter from the rain, and in spring when the snow begins to melt in the mountains.  Virtually no rain or snow falls from April or May through September, so the levels fluctuate quite a bit every year.  In a dry winter, they don't fill up as much and there isn't as much snow to melt, so it can get progressively worse if you get several dry years n a row.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 05:44:19 PM »
A drought is when there is not enough water.  That does not mean we have not had rain. Southern California has very little rain and a huge population and low water prices. They used to get Colorado River water. But, some of that got cut off. Now they get water from Northern Cal. Two things have caused Folsom to be so very low, and all of the other lakes also. First, there has been no rain until a few weeks ago. The water kept going out. Second, because there has not been any rain, all of the ag needed irrigation water.  So, the outflows have been much greater than normal in winter. It is a warning of what is to come. We are getting rain now. God can cause all of these lakes to fill up before summer. The amount of water that can come into N Cal lakes is huge. My guess is that we are going to get enough water to keep things going, but it does not have to happen. We could have 3 years without rain, then Calif and the country would suffer greatly. Where there is no water, there is no food.  We were getting very close.