Author Topic: Is Missionary Activity Against The Jewish People?  (Read 2665 times)

Avalee Lohman

• http://www.geocities.com/avalee50/
Is Missionary Activity Against The Jewish People?
« on: March 27, 2000, 03:02:00 PM »
ISRAEL INTERIOR MINISTRY ASSERTS MESSIANIC BELIEVERS ARE "ENEMIES OF THE JEWISH PEOPLE"
March 22, 2000

The Law of Return is one of the first principles of the modern State of Israel. It guarantees the right of any Jew to receive automatic Israeli citizenship upon request. Even a non-Jew with a single Jewish grandparent, or one married to a Jew, shares the same right. At the same time, the Law grants the Minister of the Interior the authority to prevent specific types of "undesirables" from exploiting this right: specifically, one who:

1. is acting against the Jewish People;
2. is liable to endanger public health or the security of the State; or
3. has a criminal past which is liable to endanger public safety. These provisions have been used in the past to justify the refusal to grant Israeli citizenship to different individuals.

As of Sunday, February 20, 2000, Interior Minister Natan Sharansky has officially asked Israel's Attorney General to rule as to whether "missionary activity" can be considered "activity against the Jewish people" for the purpose of this law. The director of the Visa Department in the Ministry of the Interior has publicly declared the Ministry's intention to use this provision in the Law to disenfranchise and expel any non-Jew who has immigrated under the Law and who engages in so-called "missionary activity." If such a ruling is made, it could have a devastating effect upon the believing community in Israel, providing yet another tool to intimidate Messianic believers and attempt to silence the proclamation of the New Testament in the Land.

Interestingly enough, "missionary activity" continues to be perfectly legal in Israel, despite several failed attempts to enact laws which would criminalize communication of one's faith in Yeshua as the Messiah to others. The Interior Minister's request is clearly an attempt to sidestep the Knesset, which has failed to outlaw such activities, by seeking to include them by definition under the "activities against the Jewish People" clause. In fact, no legal definition of what constitutes "missionary activity" even exists, leaving the worrisome possibility that the Minister's whim may determine what activity is punishable and what is not.

Ironically, Interior Minister Natan Sharansky himself (when he was known as Anatoly Sharansky) was jailed in the former Soviet Union from 1977-86 on trumped up charges of treason for "activities against the Soviet people," activities like encouraging immigration to Israel, learning Hebrew, and studying Jewish sources like the Bible. In 1986 he was stripped of his Soviet citizenship and deported, immigrating to Israel under the Law of Return.

(Report provided by the Messianic Action Committee; from the WEF Religious Liberty E-mail Conference)

---End of Report---

daffyduck0808

• http://
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2000, 12:54:00 PM »
Wow! I didn't know that! I watch the news sometimes, but I never hear the things everyone else does. I guess that would mean that my fiance would have trouble if he wanted to become a citizen there, huh? He doesn't, but I am just saying if he did want to, he would have trouble, huh? He is Jewish and was baptized in December in our local congregation in Tawas City. He and I both feel a burden to reach out to the Jewish community and he plans to become a pastor. Honestly, we hope to be placed in Florida somewhere, where there are a lot of Jewish people, including his mom and brother. He also has family in New York and New Jersey, so, he may like it there, too. Only God knows where we will end up. Thank you, sister, for posting that!
Steph

------------------
"Looking for the blessed hope
and glorious appearing of our
God and Savior Jesus Christ"
Titus 2:13
Stephanie

"Looking for the blessed hope
and glorious appearing of our
God and Savior Jesus Christ"
Titus 2:13
Stephanie

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2000, 02:15:00 PM »
Stephanie,

Here are some words that I hope will encourage you and your fiance.
---------------
The time has come when the Jews are to be given light. The Lord wants us to encourage and sustain men who shall labor in right lines for this people; for there are to be a multitude convinced of the truth, who will take their position for God. The time is coming when there will be as many converted in a day as there were on the day of Pentecost, after the disciples had received the Holy Spirit.

The Jews are to be a power to labor for the Jews; and we are to see the salvation of God. We are altogether too narrow. We need to be broader-minded. God wants us to carry out the principles of truth and righteousness. His work is to go forward in cities and towns and villages.  (RH, June 29, 1905 par. 24 & 25)

There is a wonderful promise in these words.

Linda

O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Kevin Hellerud

• http://
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2000, 12:36:00 PM »
I have a lot of respect for Natan Sharansky. I place him with Anwar Saddat and Mother Teresa as three of the grandist reflectors of the Love of Jesus in the last half of the 20th century. He has quite a conversion story from Athieism to faith and a love for God and has wrote some very wise insights.  He has had a simple faith trying to on the one hand encourage faith in God on the other hand trying to be sensitive to the non-believers.  Unlike a lot of religious right wingers, Sharansky tends to be more moderate.  He has also been very consillery and accepting and respectful with Christians. I would like to know more of his perspective in his words. (Also may I highly recommend his book "Fear No Evil")

Israel also tends to be a magnet for mentally unballanced people who believe that God raised them up to convert the Jews to Jesus, and some can be very imposeing in their zeal.  Could this be the issue he is dealing with?

Unlike the Messanic Jews, the group known as Jews for Jesus see their mission in life as to make Jews into good pork eating sunday keepers.

What conserns me about the Israel laws is that they tend to focus specifically on Christians, and that people doing the same type of things with the New Age and Eastern religions are not covered by those laws.

There are ways of working with the laws.  Conversion to Christianity is a big issue in Judiasm.  Just like when a Seventh-day Adventist joins another religion, we feel we lost them.  So the Jews see conversion to Christianity as loosing them.  They see Hitler having tryed to distroy the Jews by killing them, and see some Christians trying to destroy the Jews by converting them... either way, it has the same goal, to distroy the Jews.

Interestingly, the issue is not so much on Jesus as it is Christianity.  There are Jews who believe that Jesus in the Messiah, and have accepted him in their lives, but have not accepted Christianity.  There has been no problem with this.  About half the attendies at the Tel Avi Church in Israel every Sabbath are Jews, who refuse to join the church because they refuse to become Christians.  But they love the Lord and they love our message.

In our early missionary work in Europe, we did not know how to make Christians out of people who did not have a Christian background.  We did not know how to witness to the Jews.  So what we did was offer the European Jews a Jewish version of Adventism.  In the 1930's or 40's the General conference put a stop to that practice.  Some of these Seventh-day Adventist Jews were still alive in the early and mid 1980's (they were in their 90's) They considered themselves Seventh-day Adventists, but never considered themselves Christians.

With working with Jews, we have four options:

1. The traditional convert them to Christianity.

2. Offer them a Messanic Judiasm version... they become Christians, but still respect their culture.

3. To return to the policy of our early missionaries and offer the Jews a Jewish version of Adventism.

4. The typical Jew has tremendous amounts of truth that they are not aware of.  Teach them the Biblical books they have accepted, and encourage them to develope a relationship with the God of the Bible. There is a tremendous amount of work there, we can witness with out getting into the controvercial books and topics.

When I was as the Seminary, one of the doctoral students had been the Conference President in Isael.  The Benton Harbor synogogue had one rabbi go to a new assignment and it was going to be a month or two before the new rabbi could come.  The synogogue contacted the former Israeli Conference president to give their Sabbath sermons until the new Rabbi could arrive.  I wish that our churches would have that relationship with the Synogogues.  I wish that if a Rabbi were to wake up Sabbath morning with a sore throat that he would call the Adventist Pastor and ask for him to send someone over to preach.

If we were to do this, we would not have to worry about the Israeli laws.