Author Topic: Lesson #7, Boaz & Ruth: Firm Foundations  (Read 6770 times)

Liane H

• http://
Lesson #7, Boaz & Ruth: Firm Foundations
« on: August 12, 2007, 03:22:00 PM »
SABBATH  AFTERNOON

Read for This Week's Study: Ruth 1-4

Memory Text:

"'Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried' " (Ruth 1:16, 17).

From the Fall in Eden to the mark of the beast at the end of the world, Scripture portrays a pretty grim picture of humanity. The Word of God does not gloss over the human condition. From one end of the Bible to the other, humanity is portrayed for what it is.

In the midst of all this sits the book of Ruth and the handful of characters there, people of courage, conviction, faith, loyalty, and selflessness. Where did these folk come from?

The refreshing relationship of Boaz and Ruth appears in stark contrast to the period of the judges in which the story is set, a time when there was no king and everybody did what they wanted. Yet Ruth, a Moabite, demonstrates supreme devotion to her bereaved mother-in-law and to the God of the Israelites; Boaz, meanwhile, shows consistent goodness. Though life had thrown so many hurdles in the way, the story of Ruth illustrates how a right attitude can overcome odds.

This Week at a Glance:

In Boaz and Ruth we can see many features that make a good foundation for a successful marriage and for a faithful life in general.  

*Study this week's lesson to prepare for Sabbath, August 18.

------------------
Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Liane H

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 03:28:00 PM »
Of all the Old Testament books this is my favorite. What a love story and the impossibility of this every happening in any generation is what makes this story so wonderful to read again and again.

How the turn of events came about and the devotion of one women to her mother-in-law is beyond words from the book of Ruth:

1:16   And Ruth said, Entreat me not to leave thee, [or] to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:  
1:17   Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.  
1:18   When she saw that she was stedfastly minded to go with her, then she left speaking unto her.  
1:19   So they two went until they came to Bethlehem.  

There are countless number of marriage vows that have been put in place on the day that many marry including Robert F. Kennedy to his wife Ethel and she back to him.

To this day the words still bring tears to my eyes when I read them.  

------------------
Liane, the Zoo Mama

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Liane H

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »
 SUNDAY     August 12

Family Affairs

Sometimes we can find goodness, faith, dedication, and selflessness in the most unexpected places. The family relations shown in the book of Ruth could have easily gone sour. Instead, they give us something to emulate.

Read Ruth 1 and, based on what you read, answer the following questions:  

1. What parallel is found here with some earlier Bible characters? Ruth 1:1; compare with Gen. 12:10, 26:1

2. What evidence of the good family relations between everyone involved do you find in Ruth 1? How were these good relations manifested?

3. Read Naomi's words in Ruth 1:8, 15, 20, 21. What do these texts tell us about her?

This must have been some kind of family: a Hebrew mother-in-law to two "pagan" daughters-in-law wouldn't, on the surface, seem to form a great relationship. It had all the earmarks for disaster.

And yet, the dedication to each other's well-being is phenomenal. We don't know all that went on in their homes, but they obviously had something that many homes certainly could use.

How faithful and loyal are you to those around you? What can you do in order to think less of self and more about the good of others?

[This message has been edited by Liane H (edited 08-12-2007).]

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 05:30:00 PM »
"How faithful and loyal are you to those around you? What can you do in order to think less of self and more about the good of others?"

Great question, Sister Liane! There is only one way. Self must die. As long as self lives, then all of our actions are selfish. A hard lesson to learn, but unless it is learned, the end will be eternal death and we shall take others with us.   :(

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Liane H

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 08:44:00 AM »
 MONDAY     August 13

Devotion of Ruth

Based on Ruth 1, what can we know about the character of Ruth? What evidence do we have that she believed in the God of Israel?  

Ruth's dedication to her mother-in-law was powerful. Orpah's turning back possibly made Ruth's decision to stick by her mother-in-law more difficult. Naomi pointed to her and said, " [She's] going back to her people and her gods. Go back with her' " (Ruth 1:15, NIV). That is when Ruth made her famous statement about wanting to be part of the people of Israel. Obviously, she saw something in those people and in their God that attracted her. All this despite the fact that Naomi herself doesn't appear to be an openly aggressive evangelist.

What evidence do we see here of just how, on one level, Naomi wasn't a good witness for the Lord?  

Regardless of the problems, in Ruth we see a Moabite who sought to be part of Israel, even though the Israelites were to be more accepting of Edomites and Egyptians than of Moabites. Edomite and Egyptian great-grandchildren (the third generation) might be allowed into the assembly of the Lord (Deut. 23:7, 8). But no descendant of any Ammonite or Moabite could enter the Lord's assembly, even down to the tenth generation (vs. 3). However, this is not a prohibition against ever marrying one of them, nor is it an exclusion of them from salvation. Ruth adopts Naomi's God as her very own, and in return God shows her His favor in many ways.

Look at your own life, your own church, your own relationships to others and to the Lord. What, if anything, is there that would cause others to be drawn to your church and to your God? What does your answer tell you about yourself and your church? Discuss your response in class on Sabbath.  

------------------
Liane, the Zoo Mama

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Liane H

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 08:53:00 AM »
Brother Richard brought up a question from the study worth answering to:

"How faithful and loyal are you to those around you?

Being faithful and loyal must reach no bounds and being willing to go through the thick and thin of things with another person reflects that faithfulness and loyalty.

That does not mean that we will always agree. It may mean standing up for truth even in the trial of differences regarding truth and light. To point out the errors one is making and help them to the correct path they may be walking into.

It is not always easy to be faithful and loyal to others. Being faithful and loyal does mean that we desire for them the best even in the darkest of times and being rejected by them in that dark hour of their lives.

This is the whole of God's love for us. Though we are stumbling along and have lost our way He gave His only begotten Son for us. He never stops loving us even in our darkest hour. He strives with us even when we are rejecting Him and living for self.

This is love!

What can you do in order to think less of self and more about the good of others?"

The greatness of our sin is grounded in self. The whole message of the world and Satan's tool to draw people away from God is built on self.

The best example is to look upon Jesus and read from the Word just how Jesus did that. He was the most selfless person that one could be. He ever lived to follow the Father in example and precept.

When we look upon Him all the answers become clear and bright. Even in His darkest hour on the cross He said: Father forgive them for they know not what they do."

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 08:57:00 AM »
Amen! He is our example. But, only as we abide in Him can self be set aside. This is our first and most important work as we labor in His field.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Liane H

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 09:03:00 AM »
"Ruth's dedication to her mother-in-law was powerful. Orpah's turning back possibly made Ruth's decision to stick by her mother-in-law more difficult. Naomi pointed to her and said, " [She's] going back to her people and her gods. Go back with her' " (Ruth 1:15, NIV). That is when Ruth made her famous statement about wanting to be part of the people of Israel. Obviously, she saw something in those people and in their God that attracted her. All this despite the fact that Naomi herself doesn't appear to be an openly aggressive evangelist."

When I look upon Naomi of this part of the book of Rruth my heart broke. Why would she encourage them to go back to their people and their god? Did she not have the insight to know that salvation comes only through her God?

The last words of this statement said: "openly aggressive evangelist." Naomi was not an evangelist at all. We can only pray that the other daughter-in-law that went back to her people still held onto the things she learned from her husband, but Ruth is a whole other joy.

"Your God will be my God," said Ruth to Naomi. What powerful words of faith. She saw the light and it burned in her heart and she was not going to let go and so Naomi found in her a daughter after the heart of God and took Ruth with her.

Every person who has converted to the faith can say I saw and believed. I walked away from the world and went to God. We are as Ruth and said to Jesus Your Father is my Father in whom I believe and will follow.

What a faith, what a joy and what a blessing and example for us to follow.

------------------
Liane, the Zoo Mama

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Liane H

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
 TUESDAY     August 14

Boaz

So far we've seen numerous things in Ruth that show her to be a person of good character, faithfulness, and dedication.

But, as we know, it takes two to make a couple. Hence, Boaz now enters the story.

Read Ruth 2:1-12. What can we learn here about the character of Boaz? What points stand out about him?  

When Boaz found out who the young woman gleaning in his fields was, he did several thoughtful things. He (1) gave her full encouragement to glean in his fields, (2) provided for her peace of mind by informing her that the men had been instructed not to bother her, (3) provided for her further needs by making his drinking water available for her, and (4) gave her spiritual encouragement.

Read James 2:14-17. In what ways do we see the principles James expressed manifested here by Boaz? What lesson is in here for us?  

Boaz further tried not to make Ruth feel as if she were a beggar (Ruth 2:13-23). At mealtime he invited her to join his harvesters for bread and a relish made with vinegar and even gave her enough roasted grain so that there were leftovers. He instructed his men not to embarrass her even if she gleaned among the tied sheaves, and he even told them to deliberately remove stalks of grain from the sheaves and leave them for her. The amount that Ruth took home was more than could be gained through hard work. It testified to generosity. Finally, Boaz invited her to spend the rest of the harvest days in his fields.

How often a kind word can make such a difference in a person's life! How quick are you to give praise and affirmation to those around you? Be stingy with criticism; be generous in affirmation.  

------------------
Liane, the Zoo Mama

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Liane H

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »
Ruth:

"2:6   And the servant that was set over the reapers answered and said, It is the Moabitish damsel that came back with Naomi out of the country of Moab."  

We have to ask though was this goodness to her on his part due to a kinsman to him by Naomi?

Had he been genereous to other maidens in the past?

We will never know I guess, but because he did this a relationship began that would reach down the generations to Jesus.

How the turn of events by the dedication of one daughter-in-law who was willing to go back with Naomi, not knowing if they would even have a roof over their heads.

How many daughters would have done the same no less a daughter-in-law? But to Naomi Ruth was a daughter better than any real daughter could have been.  

And this daughter was not lazy either as she when they arrived went to the fields to glean for food as a servant would do.

Whatever Ruth had learned in her time with her husband and father-in-law along with Naomi was enough for her to leave all that she knew and went to another land and knew not her future, but God found favor with her and He blessed her much more.

I myself has seen the Lord work in my life in ways that I never dreamed would be possible.

He made a way for me to leave Los Angeles. Once here in Bishop he brought people into my life that knew nothing of me a few years ago and they now are moving me onto their property and into their lives.

I have no family to turn to or to seek help from, but the Lord has given me all that I never had and I am blessed. My cup runneth over and we never know what is around the corner and it will be for the better if we look to Him for all our needs.  

------------------
Liane, the Zoo Mama

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Liane H

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »
 WEDNESDAY     August 15

The Proposal

Read Ruth 3. What noble traits of character are revealed in all the actions of the people involved? In what ways were these traits revealed in the life of Jesus?  

If there's one thing about the Bible that should be clear to us, it is that it takes place in a cultural context. Whatever the grand and eternal truths God teaches us through His Word, they come to us through people who live and function in their own culture—a culture that at times can seem very strange to those who live in other cultures.

What cultural things are revealed in this chapter that are strange to your own culture?  

Though it was in the darkness of the night, the proposal had the potential to be very embarrassing for Ruth. She could have been spied by someone, and stories might have spread. Boaz might have refused her request. But Boaz immediately showed his thoughtfulness by trying to put her at ease. He acted as though she was doing him a favor by choosing him instead of some younger man. He then promised to do all that she asked. Finally, he sent her back to Naomi laden with food. He also went out of his way to protect her from any false accusations that might have come from her visit to him.

Go back through Ruth 3 again and look at the different character traits revealed there by Ruth, Naomi, and Boaz. How well do you manifest these traits in your own life? What upcoming issues and challenges are you facing in which you need to manifest these same traits? Take some time to think through what's coming and how you can, through the grace of God, do the right thing.  

[This message has been edited by Liane H (edited 08-15-2007).]

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Liane H

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 06:17:00 AM »
The overwhelming theme of this book to me was the love and devotion that Ruth followed towards Naomi. When one considers her background and upbringing in the pagan religion that her life was so totally turned around to the faithfulness to Naomi's God and love for her mother-in-law.

I can relate to Ruth having come from the world to the true church of God of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. The contrast in my life from the world tot he church was quite shocking upon my system, but God was patient.

I sense that Ruth was like Mary who sat at the feet of Jesus gleaning all the wonders of the true God that she was so moved to reject her old life and upbringing to follow the true God of the faith of Israel.

They were in poverty and knew not what would happen to them, but they both went back to Jerusalem in faith without knowing what the end would be of their return.

To think that two women, one old and one young traveling the roads from Moab to Israel what dangers could have befallen them, but God protected them.

Even when I was in the world I can look back and see so many times that God's hand was with me keeping me safe even though I did not realize it then.

How wonderful God is in our lives. No matter if our time is long or short He is with us and we should give thanks for that love and protection that He extends to whatever time we have been given.  

------------------
Liane, the Zoo Mama

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Liane H

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 06:20:00 AM »
THURSDAY     August 16

Redemption

Read Ruth 4. What ultimately came of this marriage between a Jew and a non-Jew?  

Redemption is perhaps the most important theme in the book of Ruth. In various forms the Hebrew word occurs more than twenty-three times in these four chapters. Boaz fulfills the role of redeemer for Naomi and her deceased husband and son. David, the notable descendant, later proved to be the redeemer of Israel's fortunes lost after Joshua; and Jesus, a further descendant, provided redemption for the entire humanity (Gal. 4:5, 1 Pet. 1:18, Rev. 5:9).

What were the duties of a kinsman-redeemer? Lev. 25:25, 47-49; Num. 36:8, 9; Deut. 25:5, 6.  

The custom of a male relative marrying the deceased's widow to raise up an inheritance existed in other countries of the ancient Near East. Deuteronomy 25:5 specifies that in Israel this practice applied just to brothers living together. Judah attempted to get his second son to follow this practice. Boaz did not qualify under the provisions of Deuteronomy 25, but it is apparent that extensions of this principle were practiced, and in order of nearness of kin.

Naomi had not sold family property, but if and when it did go up for sale, the closest relatives would have first option to buy it so as to keep it in the family. The kinsman who would redeem this also had the obligation to marry Ruth to provide an heir for Mahlon, her deceased husband.

The fulfilling of the role of redeemer had its risk. If the kinsman-redeemer had only one child, and that by Ruth, his own property would pass on in the name of Mahlon. Hence, the law allowed the nearest kin the opportunity to refuse to do what was expected of him. However, the one who refused to redeem his relative's property and name had to undergo a humiliating ceremony (see Deut. 25:7-10).

As said earlier, the Bible unfolds within a particular cultural context that can often be hard for those in other cultures to understand fully. All that being said, what universal principles regarding family obligations that should apply to us and our family relationships can we find here? How well are you fulfilling those obligations?  

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Liane H

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 06:42:00 AM »
Growing up in a military setting the idea of family in blood lines was a foreign ideal that I had little understanding.

I understood the family of military life and the sharing of national pride and respect for those that served therein, but when it came to my own blood family I knew little of them then and less now than I did before.

By only ties are with my sister who lives on the other side of US and my mother's sister, my Auntie that was the one person that had been in my life as a child.

Otherwise I have been alone taking care of myself without the aid of anyone in my blood family.

The returning of Naomi to her homeland and the relationship with kinsmen is a hard concept for me to take hold of. There is a message here that we all can learn from of the responsibility that we have to those in our family whether they are believers or not.

The factor that must remain is that we are all are related by our first parents Adam and Eve. The responsibility to help each other comes with the fact that we all are the Sons and Daughters of God.

It is even more remarkable when God brings into someones life such as myself a couple that have made me part of their lives and are bringing me into their world of family.

This extended surrogate link to someone who is not blood and making me part of their family is something that many will not do or desire to do.

I am again reminded when I think of this move how God works in our lives to bring people together to do His will.

I marvel at it and wonder why me? Why is God bringing all of this to me in my life. It is a humbling experience to see God at work doing His work for us when one has no resources or means in which to have done so, but brings those that can and do do His will for others.

I see this so clearly in this book of how God brought this pagan women into the life of Naomi and made her more than a duaghter-in-law, but the daughter she never had of her own that stayed with her and gave up her whole life and way of living to be with her in a strange land.

That is faith.  

------------------
Liane, the Zoo Mama

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Liane H

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 07:50:00 AM »
 FRIDAY     August 17

Further Study:  

Read Ellen G. White, "Compatibility," pp. 83-86, in The Adventist Home.

In the beginning of the story, the odds of Ruth ending up marrying Boaz were indeed minuscule. Many "circumstantial" events were necessary to lead to their eventual meeting and marriage.

(1) There had to be a famine in Judah, else the family of Elimelech would not have left Bethlehem.
(2) They had to choose Moab rather than some other country for refuge, such as Egypt or Edom, in order to come in contact with Ruth.  
(3) There had to be eligible bachelors in Naomi's family to marry Ruth.
(4) The male had to die in order for Ruth to be eligible for a second marriage.
(5) The famine in Judah had to end so that Naomi could consider going back.
(6) Ruth had to decide to accompany Naomi.
(7) Ruth had to happen to glean in the field of Boaz.

In the end, the Bible consistently presents the picture that the hand of God is over all and that all that happens is with divine foreknowledge. For those who love God and put Him first, all things work together for their ultimate good (Rom. 8:28). This story is indeed a great example of that principle.  

Discussion Questions:

Look at Naomi's reaction in Ruth 1:19-21. Compare it to her words in Ruth 2:20. Why is this such a common reaction? What's wrong, however, with her "theology"?  

As a class, discuss your answers to Tuesday's last question. What do your answers tell you about yourself and your church? What things in your church would draw people to it? What things would push people away? What practical things need to be changed in order to make your church something that would draw others to it and to the God you represent? How can you as a class help to start implementing the needed changes?  

As a class, talk about your own culture and how it deals with family relationships. What things in your culture work toward strengthening those relationships? What things work against it? What can you do to help others better understand their obligations to family members?  

Summary:

Despite some aspects of their situation not being ideal for marriage, Boaz and Ruth had the essential qualities for a solid relationship. Both demonstrated a spirit of caring and sharing, and both were deeply committed to God.  

------------------
Liane, the Zoo Mama

[This message has been edited by Liane H (edited 08-17-2007).]

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Liane H

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 08:05:00 AM »
"In the end, the Bible consistently presents the picture that the hand of God is over all and that all that happens is with divine foreknowledge. For those who love God and put Him first, all things work together for their ultimate good (Rom. 8:28). This story is indeed a great example of that principle."

Oh how I can relate to the above words. I see it in my own life and hindsight has given me a view of the working of God in my own life with all the twists and turns that brought me to His church and my continued walk with Him to this day.

My sister asked me once was I angry with her for asking me to go down and tell our mother what our dad had been doing to us. How different our lives might have been or better. I told her I would not have had it any other way. It has led me to a place and a faith that has given me so much. It brought me to a church that I love and long to see its fulfillment in Christ and I am glad to be part of it.

We never can know what might have been if one step or turn had been taken of our own will instead of the one we took and are on right now.

Seeing the end from the beginning in my own life and I suspect many of you can say the same that where you are right now in the way of life is fulfilling and blessed with God.

I know that I am so joyful of where I am right now. He has given me so much and I am thankful each day for all of it, even the bad times are blessings from Him.

There is no greater joy than to walk with God and follow His principles and obey His commands and love Jesus along the way.

There just is nothing better than that.

------------------
Liane, the Zoo Mama

Liane, the Zoo Mama

colporteur

Re: Lesson #7, Boaz & Ruth: Firm Foundations
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2017, 06:21:17 AM »

How old was Boaz when he married Ruth ? Any genealogy experts ?
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Glen McCluskey

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2017, 12:47:35 PM »

Ruth 3:10 implies middle age.

colporteur

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2017, 03:34:22 PM »

Ruth 3:10 implies middle age.

Wiki and other places states that Boaz was 80 and Ruth 40. Not sure yet that I buy that yet although I would not be troubled if it turned out to be true. The reason I am wondering about this is because we heard a sermon last Sabbath where the speaker was kind of making light of Isaac marrying Rebecca when he was 65-70 and she in her 20's or 30's. He also said that Boaz was 80 and Ruth in her 20's or so. Well, the Bible says that Isaac was 40 not 65-70. The Bible does not specially say how Ruth and Boaz were but I'm wondering if that could be determined through genealogy. The speaker's comment was really out of place when he said "dirty old men marrying a hot chick." I think he simply meant to portray how that would be seen in today's culture but I don't see what he thought to accomplish with the comment. This got us interested to find out just how old Boaz and Ruth were. Perhaps the age of Boaz is not stated in the Begots or in geneology.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.