Author Topic: Lesson # 12, The Sin Against the Holy Spirit  (Read 3944 times)

Clive Nevell

• http://
Lesson # 12, The Sin Against the Holy Spirit
« on: June 11, 2006, 04:02:00 AM »
Lesson # 12,  The Sin Against the Holy Spirit

Memory Text:    

"Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of
men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme: but he that shall blaspheme
against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation"
(Mark 3: 28, 29).

Clive

Clive Nevell

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 04:04:00 AM »
"What is this so-called 'unpardonable sin' " (a phrase
that, by the way, never appears in Scripture)? The whole idea of a sin that can't be
forgiven seems so contrary to all we know about the God who went through so much
precisely in order to forgive us all our sins. That's why this is a topic so worthy of
study—for we all need to be aware of the one thing that, more than anything else,
leaves us, as Jesus said, "in danger of eternal damnation" (vs. 29)." (Sabbath Afternoon)

Clive

Clive Nevell

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 01:02:00 PM »
Matthew 12:21-32 NKJV

"21 And in His name Gentiles will trust." 22 Then one was brought
to Him who was demon-possessed, blind and mute; and He healed him, so that the blind
and mute man both spoke and saw. 23 And all the multitudes were amazed and said, "Could
this be the Son of David?" 24 Now when the Pharisees heard it they said, "This fellow
does not cast out demons except by Beelzebub, the ruler of the demons." 25 But Jesus
knew their thoughts, and said to them: "Every kingdom divided against itself is brought
to desolation, and every city or house divided against itself will not stand. 26 "If
Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then will his kingdom stand?
27 "And if I cast out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your sons cast them out?
Therefore they shall be your judges. 28 "But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God,
surely the kingdom of God has come upon you. 29 "Or how can one enter a strong man's
house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man? And then he will
plunder his house. 30 "He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather
with Me scatters abroad. 31 "Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be
forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. 32 "Anyone
who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks
against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come."

Clive

Clive Nevell

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 03:53:00 AM »
To Save Sinners

1 Timothy 1:15 NKJV 15 This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief.

John 14:9 NKJV 9 Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, 'Show us the Father'?

Matthew 20:25-28 NKJV 25 But Jesus called them to Himself and said, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and those who are great exercise authority over them. 26 "Yet it shall not be so among you; but whoever desires to become great among you, let him be your servant. 27 "And whoever desires to be first among you, let him be your slave-- 28 "just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."

Philippians 2:5-7 NKJV 5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, 7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.

John 2:6 NKJV 6 Now there were set there six waterpots of stone, according to the manner of purification of the Jews, containing twenty or thirty gallons apiece.

1 Peter 2:21 NKJV 21 For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps:

Hebrews 2:17-18 NKJV 17 Therefore, in all things He had to be made like His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. 18 For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid those who are tempted.

Mark 10:45 NKJV 45 "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."

John 3:14-16 NKJV 14 "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 "that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. 16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

1 Corinthians 15:3 NKJV 3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,

Hebrews 2:9 NKJV 9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, for the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, that He, by the grace of God, might taste death for everyone.

1 John 3:8 NKJV 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.

Romans 2:9 NKJV 9 tribulation and anguish, on every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek;

Mark 3:29 NKJV 29 "but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation"

We see from these verses in Monday's lesson that Jesus came into the world to save, to save sinners as the verse says in 1 Timothy 1:15.

That includes everyone, from Adam and Eve to the last baby that is born on this earth.

Clive

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 09:26:00 AM »

quote:
We see from these verses in Monday's lesson that Jesus came into the world to save, to save sinners as the verse says in 1 Timothy 1:15.

That includes everyone, from Adam and Eve to the last baby that is born on this earth.

Amen! Brother Clive. It is God's will that all would be saved. However, some will excersize their freedom to choose another master. And is doing so some will become so hardened against the Holy Spirit that they will not even see thier need of forgiveness or any reason to ask for forgiveness. God can not forgive a sin that is not repented of.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Clive Nevell

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 05:17:00 AM »

"All Manner of Sin and Blasphemy"

Matthew 12:22-31 NKJV 22 Then one was brought to Him who was demon-possessed, blind and mute; and He healed him, so that the blind and mute man both spoke and saw. 23 And all the multitudes were amazed and said, "Could this be the Son of David?" 24 Now when the Pharisees heard it they said, "This fellow does not cast out demons except by Beelzebub, the ruler of the demons." 25 But Jesus knew their thoughts, and said to them: "Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation, and every city or house divided against itself will not stand. 26 "If Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then will his kingdom stand? 27 "And if I cast out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they shall be your judges. 28 "But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, surely the kingdom of God has come upon you. 29 "Or how can one enter a strong man's house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man? And then he will plunder his house. 30 "He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters abroad. 31 "Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men.

Mark 3:22-30 NKJV 22 And the scribes who came down from Jerusalem said, "He has Beelzebub," and, "By the ruler of the demons He casts out demons." 23 So He called them to Himself and said to them in parables: "How can Satan cast out Satan? 24 "If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 "And if a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. 26 "And if Satan has risen up against himself, and is divided, he cannot stand, but has an end. 27 "No one can enter a strong man's house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man. And then he will plunder his house. 28 "Assuredly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter; 29 "but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation" -- 30 because they said, "He has an unclean spirit."

Clive

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 08:02:00 AM »
When we realize that we are sinful and only can do evil and are in need of a Saviour to keep from sinning, then we can begin to understand the plan of salvation. We see that we cannot understand spiritual things without the aid of the Holy Spirit. When this is understood and we see our need of Him, then we can begin to understand the "unpardonable sin".

It is the Holy Spirit that reveals to us sin and holiness. If we deny that power that is responsible for bringing light and truth, then there is no hope for us. This is the only channel sinful man has to see the light. That is how dark we are. We just think too highly of ourselves. There is nothing good in man until the Holy Spirit comes in to live. Then, we become partakers of the divine nature. Then we have the fruits of the Spirit.

So, to blaspheme He who reveals light is to say that the messenger of truth is the messenger of evil. If we get to this point where we have resisted the truth so long that we can no longer hear that still soft voice telling us right from wrong, then what more can God do? At that point there is nothing more to do, for the heart is so hard that it cannot be impressed by the Holy Spirit. This is the sin against the Holy Spirit. It does not happen in a moment or a day or a week, but is the end of a long protracted process of refusing light.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Clive Nevell

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 01:42:00 PM »
Patriarchs and Prophets, pp. 621-622

Samuel's countenance was full of anxiety and trouble; but to his inquiry, "What hast thou done?" Saul offered excuses for his presumptuous act. He said: "I saw that the people were scattered from me, and that thou camest not within the days appointed, and that the Philistines gathered themselves together at Michmash; therefore said I, The Philistines will come down now upon me to Gilgal, and I have not made supplication unto the Lord: I forced myself therefore, and offered a burnt offering. {PP 621.1}

"And Samuel said to Saul, Thou hast done foolishly: thou hast not kept the commandment of the Lord thy God, which He commanded thee: for now would the Lord have established thy kingdom upon Israel forever. But now thy kingdom shall not continue: the Lord hath sought Him a man after His own heart, and the Lord hath commanded him to be captain over His people. . . . And Samuel arose, and gat him up from Gilgal unto Gibeah of Benjamin." {PP 621.2}

Either Israel must cease to be the people of God, or the principle upon which the monarchy was founded must be maintained, and the nation must be governed by a divine power. If Israel would be wholly the Lord's, if the will of the human and earthly were held in subjection to the will of God, He would continue to be the Ruler of Israel. So long as the king and the people would conduct themselves as subordinate to God, so long He could be their defense. But in Israel no monarchy could prosper that did not in all things acknowledge the supreme authority of God. {PP 621.3}

If Saul had shown a regard for the requirements of God in this time of trial, God could have worked His will through him. His failure now proved him unfit to be the vicegerent of God to His people. He would mislead Israel. His will, rather than the will of God, would be the controlling power. If Saul had been faithful, his kingdom would have been established forever; but since he had failed, the purpose of God must be accomplished by another. The government of Israel must be committed to one who would rule the people according to the will of Heaven. {PP 621.4}

We do not know what great interests may be at stake in the proving of God. There is no safety except in strict obedience to the word of God. All His promises are made upon condition of faith and obedience, and a failure to comply with His (p. 622) commands cuts off the fulfillment to us of the rich provisions of the Scriptures. We should not follow impulse, nor rely on the judgment of men; we should look to the revealed will of God and walk according to His definite commandment, no matter what circumstances may surround us. God will take care of the results; by faithfulness to His word we may in time of trial prove before men and angels that the Lord can trust us in difficult places to carry out His will, honor His name, and bless His people. {PP 621.5}

Saul was in disfavor with God, and yet unwilling to humble his heart in penitence. What he lacked in real piety he would try to make up by his zeal in the forms of religion. Saul was not ignorant of Israel's defeat when the ark of God was brought into the camp by Hophni and Phinehas; and yet, knowing all this, he determined to send for the sacred chest and its attendant priest. Could he by this means inspire confidence in the people, he hoped to reassemble his scattered army and give battle to the Philistines. He would now dispense with Samuel's presence and support, and thus free himself from the prophet's unwelcome criticisms and reproofs. {PP 622.1}

The Holy Spirit had been granted to Saul to enlighten his understanding and soften his heart. He had received faithful instruction and reproof from the prophet of God. And yet how great was his perversity! The history of Israel's first king presents a sad example of the power of early wrong habits. In his youth Saul did not love and fear God; and that impetuous spirit, not early trained to submission, was ever ready to rebel against divine authority. Those who in their youth cherish a sacred regard for the will of God, and who faithfully perform the duties of their position, will be prepared for higher service in afterlife. But men cannot for years pervert the powers that God has given them, and then, when they choose to change, find these powers fresh and free for an entirely opposite course. {PP 622.2}

Saul's efforts to arouse the people proved unavailing. Finding his force reduced to six hundred men, he left Gilgal and retired to the fortress at Geba, lately taken from the Philistines. This stronghold was on the south side of a deep, rugged valley, or gorge, a few miles north of the site of Jerusalem. On the north side of the same valley, at Michmash, the Philistine force lay encamped while detachments of troops went out in different directions to ravage the country.(p. 623) {PP 622.3}

The lesson that we shoud learn from what happened to King Saul is that God is concerned about worship. Things that the King did that he should not have done and as a result the kingdom was taken away from him.

Clive

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 09:40:00 AM »
Amen, Brother Clive. And, I like the example of Saul in respect to his "habits" in youth. Because he resisted the Holy Spirit in his childhood, it set a pattern for when he was king. "In his youth Saul did not love and fear God; and that impetuous spirit, not early trained to submission, was ever ready to rebel against divine authority. Those who in their youth cherish a sacred regard for the will of God, and who faithfully perform the duties of their position, will be prepared for higher service in afterlife. But men cannot for years pervert the powers that God has given them, and then, when they choose to change, find these powers fresh and free for an entirely opposite course."

Character is revealed in our habits and thoughts. It is best developed in childhood and youth through learning submission.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.