Author Topic: Lesson # 4 Nebuchadnezzar's Judgment  (Read 5239 times)

Clive Nevell

• http://
Lesson # 4 Nebuchadnezzar's Judgment
« on: October 17, 2004, 05:01:00 AM »
Lesson 4

Nebuchadnezzar's Judgment

Read for This Week's Study: Daniel 4

Memory Text:

"Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and extol and honor the King of heaven, all of whose works are truth, and His ways justice. And those who walk in pride He is able to abase" (Daniel 4:37, NKJV).

Clive

Clive Nevell

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 03:08:00 AM »
The Lesson on Sabbath afternoon asks "What was King Nebuchadnezzar's real problem?"

To me it is a problem that most face. So far all through this book of Daniel we see that the King acknowledged that there is a higher power.

Then he would go back and follow his own ways. In a nut shell it comes down to pride.

Clive

Clive Nevell

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 05:07:00 AM »
Daniel 4:4-9

"4 I, Nebuchadnezzar, was at home in my palace, contented and prosperous. 5 I had a dream that made me afraid. As I was lying in my bed, the images and visions that passed through my mind terrified me. 6 So I commanded that all the wise men of Babylon be brought before me to interpret the dream for me. 7 When the magicians, enchanters, astrologers [1] and diviners came, I told them the dream, but they could not interpret it for me. 8 Finally, Daniel came into my presence and I told him the dream. (He is called Belteshazzar, after the name of my god, and the spirit of the holy gods is in him.)
9 I said, "Belteshazzar, chief of the magicians, I know that the spirit of the holy gods is in you, and no mystery is too difficult for you. Here is my dream; interpret it for me."

Nebuchadnezza is having another dream. He is afraid fo what he has seen in his dream.

That is not unusual to be afraid of what one dreams about. That makes the king no different to most of us in tha respect.

He decides to ask his so called wise men to tell what the dream meant. Again they faiied. You would think by now he would have learnt his lesson. He had not but then he remembered Daniel.

Where would he be without Daniel?

Clive

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 06:29:00 AM »
The king had some lessons that pointed him to a higher power. I wonder if we compare his experience to our own, would we say that we have greater knowledge than the king? And if so, how do we explain our dullness?

I am reminded of some verses that point to our knowledge and the principle involved. "Then began He (Jesus) to upbraid the cities wherein most of His mighty works were done, because they repented not:
Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works, which were done in you, had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. But I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the day of judgment, than for you. And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day. But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for thee."  Matt. 11:21-24.

God has blessed us mightily, much more than the king. Shall we not be thankful and give honor and glory to our Maker? Too many today believe they are "rich and increased with goods" as did the king, but do not know that they are blind, wretched, and naked. This lesson ought to be a wake up call. We need to examine our own hearts as we learn the lesson from the king who forgot God.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Clive Nevell

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 03:55:00 AM »
 "We need to examine our own hearts as we learn the lesson from the king who forgot God." (From previous post)

Just imagine seeing a king eating grass. People must have seen him eating grass.

Clive

Ulicia

• http://dedication.www3.50megs.com/Home.html
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 02:20:00 PM »
Critics cast doubt  on this Biblical story and dismiss it as “legend” because, they say there is no secular verification from history.  The fact is, that historians know very little about the later years of Nebuchadnezzar.

The Sabbath School lesson refers to an article by S. Horn, so I decided to look it up.

Apparently there is a tablet  in the British Museum, No. BM 34113 (sp 213)
According to Sigfried Horn who, in “Ministry“,pp. 38-40  April 1979, refers to this tablet, says--

quote:
“Unfortunately, it is merely a fragment, and the surviving text is not as clear as we would like it to be.  But the lines that may refer to the king’s illness are exciting nevertheless:
2 [Nebu]chadnezzar considered […..]
3 His life appeared of no value to [him...]
5 And Babylonian speaks bad counsel to Evil-merodach […..]
6 Then he gave an entirely different order but [………]
7 He does not heed the word from his lips, the cour[tiers……]
11 He does not show love to son and daughter […..]
12 …family and clan do not exist [………]
14 His attention was not directed towards promoting the welfare of Esagil [and Babylon]
16  He prays to the Lord of lords, he raised [his hands in supplication….]
17  He weeps bitterly to Marduk, the g[reat]  god [……]
18  His prayer go forth, to [………]

Let's attempt to decipher the text, Brackets [...] indicte which words or letters are broken from the original....

Evil-merodach of line 5 was the eldest son of Nebuchadnezzar and his successor on the throne.  He is mentioned in the Bible as having released King Jehoiachin of Judah from Prison after his ascension to the throne (2kings 25:27-30; Jer. 52:31-34)

Esagil in line 14 is the name of the principal temple complex of Babylon, in which the ziggurat a 300 foot high temple tower, stood.  The temple was dedicated to the chief god, Marduk, mentioned in line 17.…......

If read in the light of Daniel 4, which relates Nebuchadnezzar’s seven-year period of mental derangement, lines 3,6,7,11,12,14 refer to strange behavior by Nebuchadnezzar, which has been brought to the attention of Evil merodach by state officials.  Life had lost all value to Nebuchadnezzar, who gave contradictory orders, refused to accept the counsel of his courtiers, showed love neither to son nor daughter, neglected his family and no longer performed his duties as head of state with regard to the Babylonian state religion and its principal temple.

Line 5, then, can refer to officials who, bewildered by the kings’ behavior, counselled Evil-merdach to assume responsibility for the affairs of state...
Lines 6, and on would then be a description of Nebuchadnezzar's behavior as described to Evil-merodach.

Since Nebuchadnezzar later recovered, the counsel of the kings’ courtiers to Evil-merodach may later have been considered “bad” (line 5) though at the time it seemed the best way out of a national crises.  

Since Daniel records that Nebuchadnezzar was "driven from men" (Dan. 4:33) but later reinstated as king by his officials (vs. 36) Evil merodach, Nebuchadnezzar's eldest son, may have served as regent during his father's incapacity.  Official records, howver, show Nebuchadnezzar as king during his lifetime.

[This message has been edited by Ulicia (edited 10-20-2004).]

M.A. Crawford

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 03:14:00 PM »
"Nebuchadnezzar's second dream was not about an image but about a tree. This tree was so tall till it seemed to reach into heaven and could be seen from any part of the globe. Its immense size and spreading branches displayed its powerful influence....

"'The tree symbolism was not strange to Nebuchadnezzar. Herodotus tells of the case of Astyages, Nebuchadnezzar's brother-in-law, who had also dreamed of a tree symbolizing his dominion over part of the world. Nebuchadnezzar himself, in an inscription, compares Babylon to a great tree sheltering the nations of the world.'--quoted by J. Doukhan, in Secrets of Daniel (Hagertown, Md.: Review and Herald, 2000), p. 63. In Daniel 4 the reign of Nebuchadnezzar is symbolized by the tree in the midst of the earth (vs. 22), highlighting its importance. Babylon was approximately in the center of the then known world.

"The king then sees 'a watcher, a holy one, coming down from heaven' (vs. 13, NKJV). Throughout history God has been the Holy 'Watcher' who cares for His people. The prophet Hanani reminded King Asa that 'the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him' (2 Chron. 16:9, NKJV). Nebuchadnezzar recognized that the Holy Watcher was similar in appearance to the One who walked with the three Hebrews in the fiery furnace.'--Ellen G. White, in Review and Herald, Feb. 1, 1881).

"The stump and the band refer to Nebuchadnezzar's preservation despite his humiliation. He was to be restored as king after He came to know God. During his madness, he also may have been bound with a bronze chain to restrict his movements. There is some evidence for a Mesopotamian custom of putting metal bands on trees, whether to prevent them from cracking or for some other reason that is not clear. Remnants of a tree with bronze rings or bands were unearthed at Khorsabad, at the entrance to the temple of [the sun god] Shamash. (See J.J. Collins, Daniel [Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 1993], p. 226.)...

"God's ruleship was the lesson God had been trying to teach the king from the beginning. Some thirty years earlier Daniel had told the king, '"the God of heaven has given you a kingdom"' (Dan. 2:37, 38, NKJV), but Nebuchadnezzar had set up an image of gold to declare his independence from the Most High. In other words, he had refused to accept God's sovereignty. Now he was given another opportunity to learn this lesson, but again he failed....

"Royal conversions are unusual but not unknown. King Agbar of Edessa in Mesopotamia, it is said, became a Christian when the gospel was preached to him....

"There are a number of indicators to show that this conversion was genuine. (1) His desire to give God publicly the glory at the expense of his own humiliation shows that the once proud monarch no longer thought himself to be the greatest king on earth. (2) In chapter 3 he had defied the God of the Jews; now he acknowledged Him as the true God of heaven who held the king's destiny in His hand. (3) His selfishness and self-glorification gave way to concern for the glory of God.

"True repentance and sorrow for sin denote that inward change of mind, affections, convictions, and commitment that leads to the outward turning from sin to God and His service." (Adult Sabbath School Bible Study Guide, Teacher's Edition, 4th Quarter [October - December, 2004], pp. 44, 46, 50).

M.A.  

M.A.

Ulicia

• http://dedication.www3.50megs.com/Home.html
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 08:48:00 PM »
How patiently God had worked with this king , showing him great sings and mighty wonders.   First the dream of the image, -- and the wonder God performed by Daniel  relating the dream and the interpretation.  The king acknowledged that God was a great God.  But then  his proud spirit caused him to set up his own image, yet again God reached down with a mighty miracle delivering the three worthies from the burning flames.  Once again Nebuchadnezzar acknowledged the God of heaven.  
Though a proud, ambitious, and very successful king, an idolater by birth and training, Nebuchadnezzar had an innate sense of justice and right and God was able to reach him.  

Nebuchadnezzar was the king of the great Babylon, a city which is the very symbol of the counterfeit religious/kingdom, yet he was still an individual-- a human being for whom Christ would die to offer salvation.    

The final “signs and wonders” related in this chapter  wrought a reformation in the heart of the king and he was transformed from a tyrannical, overbearing emperor, into a wise and compassionate ruler.

The king does not, like many have when afflicted in similar ways, curse God, but rather he praises God’s name for the wonders He wrought towards the  him.
In this the king teaches us a great lesson!  Do we see God's ultimate love and goodness even when adversity strikes us?

The king thought it good to  share what the High God had done for him.  We too, need to share the great wonders of the gospel and the three angels‘ message for these last days.  
If  God reached down to convert the heart of the pagan king of Babylon, we too, need give the call for people to forsake the “mystic Babylon” and acknowledge the Creator God, His laws, and His salvation, with the same patience and love God showed to Nebuchadnezzar.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 05:59:00 AM »
Amen, dear sister.

And it causes one to consider that maybe some of the rulers of today who are not Christian may one day be converted. All things are possible with God!

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Laurie Mosher

• There is a place of quiet rest
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 07:26:00 AM »
   Hi Friends!!

Isn't it amazing that God AGAIN uses a dream to get Nebuchadnezzar's attention?

The first dream involving the image, he acknowledged Daniel's God. Then the 3 Hebrew worthies- Shadrach, Meschack and Abednego's God, and FINALLY Nebuchadnezzar recognizes that there is no one higher than the God of heaven.

I find it extremely interesting that the first two times, the king was in his right mind, and couldn't put it all together. It took 7 years of insanity to bring him around.

My thoughts!   :)
Laurie

[This message has been edited by Laurie Mosher (edited 10-22-2004).]

Keep "the" Faith,  Brother Laurie

Clive Nevell

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2004, 12:47:00 PM »
"I find it extremely interesting that the first two times, the king was in his right mind, and couldn't put it all together. It took 7 years of insanity to bring him around."

Happy Sabbath Laurie

Good to have you dropping by. Good point you have brought up.

But how many of us do not find God until we are on our back looking up and then see what God has done for us.

Many times it is in adversity that we find God.

Come again Laurie and have a good Sabbath.

Clive

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2004, 10:25:00 PM »
Hello Brother Laurie, good to see you again!

Yes, it is interesting. Let us learn from his experience so we do not have to experience it ourselves!!

Have a blessed Sabbath, dear friend!