Author Topic: Broken Record!  (Read 2853 times)

Dora

• For the battle is not yours, but God's.
Broken Record!
« on: August 08, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »
I just heard on the news that we have broken the record high for today in W.KY.  The high for today was in 1988, and the temp. was 99º.
Today, we reached 100º, and supposed to be 101º tomorrow with heat index of 111º.That is hot!!

I was outside a while ago to check on my dog. She is lying in the shade on the North side of the house, and I keep cool water out for her, with the ground moist where she likes to stay.

No rain in sight.  Did you ever wonder what the fields must have been like in Elijah's day with no rain for three and one half years? They are pretty brown here now.

Dora

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Broken Record!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 04:37:00 PM »
Great to have well water!!!
And dams!!!  Or the land would be desolate.

We will pray for rain for you dear sister!

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Broken Record!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
Sister Dora, our friends in California and Arizona are probably wondering what you're complaining about.  :)

However, I understand. Until the last two days we haven't seen hardly any rain since the last of June. I haven't mowed my yard since the middle of June.

I vividly remember the summer of 1988. We had something like 30 or 40 straight days of temps above 90. Literally didn't mow the lawn all summer.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Dora

• For the battle is not yours, but God's.
Broken Record!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 12:07:00 PM »
I am sure they do wonder, Brother Jim!!  I was watching the national weather map on the
news this AM, and the vaired things going on is amazing! Even a tornado in Brooklyn!!

Yes, my daughter who is your "neighbor" has said it is hot and dry "in your neck of the woods," too. She was glad to even have had two pickings of green beans, and our Lord has blessed for her to have that!

We live in the country, and do have a well, but it is not an awfully strong well, and I have been careful not to water the flowers at the same time I was using appliances that calls for water.

Yes, I remember that period of extreme heat in 1988 was over a month, that was the year my granddaughter was a baby.

During that time, there was a prison break from Ky. State Penitentiary, and my daughter & family were living near where the escapees were believed to be hiding.  I brought our daughter and family to our house, but within two days the men turned themselves in due to the extreme heat and lack of water!

In spite of the drought and heat, the young man who rents our pasture told me this AM that the cows still have plenty to graze, and the pond is holding. Plus there is a creek that is fed by a spring, and it is still good.

Every day, I say "Thank you, Lord, for the AC," but I pray for those without it.  We have had central air for only two summers, so I know how bad it can be. There is a campaign for fans in the area, and some "cooling centers" have opened for those needing relief.

Dora

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Broken Record!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 03:27:00 PM »
How I sympathize with you! So, you have a dry heat because of lack of rain?
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Sherwin

• Keeper of Bees
Broken Record!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 03:56:00 PM »
Jim how I remember that summer of '88. My wife was very pregnant and the heat was torture to her. With no air conditioning in our house we took a lot of rides in the air conditioned car. On the bright side not mowing lawns is a bad thing?

Br. S

quote:
Originally posted by Jim B:
Sister Dora, our friends in California and Arizona are probably wondering what you're complaining about.   :)

However, I understand. Until the last two days we haven't seen hardly any rain since the last of June. I haven't mowed my yard since the middle of June.

I vividly remember the summer of 1988. We had something like 30 or 40 straight days of temps above 90. Literally didn't mow the lawn all summer.

Laughter is an instant vacation

Cop

Broken Record!
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 09:02:00 PM »
"We had something like 30 or 40 straight days of temps above 90."

Is that bad? Oh, if it would only be that cool down here in Texas!  :P We sit outside and enjoy the cool nights down here. It drops down to 80-85 and feels so good!

[This message has been edited by Cop (edited 08-10-2007).]