Author Topic: Mating Birds Determined to Attract Attention!  (Read 3099 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Mating Birds Determined to Attract Attention!
« on: April 17, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »
The weather this year is no evidence of spring; however, God's creatures are preparing for new life!

Head- and heart-deep into the Desire of Ages, I was stunned out of my chair by the sound of a small jack hammer. The sound was coming from the roof - a metal roof that resounds with any drop of rain or hail. So imagine the intentional pecking of a fully grown male bird. Each year I forget that he is coming! LOL!      ;D  He is not a typical looking woodpecker, if one at all, yet he drums my roof as if it was his own special tree! Is this part of his ritual to attract the attention of a mate? It is the only thing I can think of! Oh, and he also brings small objects and drops them onto the roof so while they fall down the roof, they too make a noise to attract attention!

He isn't even that pretty!    ;D Grey body, dark back, rust underwings, with a black half circle just at his neck. His beak is long and slightly curved. But loud he is. The sound is like that of an electric screwdriver you leave on the screw after it has reached its depth limit.

I can think of no lesson in nature at the moment, just a question if anyone else has experienced this as a means of mate attraction. He certainly isn't pecking for food on a metal roof!

[This message has been edited by Sybil (edited 04-17-2007).]

For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 06:43:00 AM »
I never thought about a male woodpecker trying to get attention by making noise. It does make sense though. Especially in the bird world it is the males who put on the most impressive displays and antics that get a mate.

I'm wondering if there are any birders reading that can answer this question.

Sybil, what kind of woodpecker is he?

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 06:52:00 AM »
Good morning, Jim. He is at it again this morning! Grey body, dark back, rust underwings, with a black half circle just at his neck. His beak is long and slightly curved. I gave my bird identification book to Mother - will see what I can find online.  

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 07:03:00 AM »
Evidently, the drumming of the woodpecker is common. Look at this!

"Their familiar drumming rolls are commonly heard in the spring, and have awakened many when they choose a drainspout, mailbox or other metallic surface to announce their territory and attract a mate." - source: Everything about Woodpeckers

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 07:19:00 AM »
Seems to run with some in the human family also?  

That is really interesting. Never heard this before. God gave these poor drab males something with which to impress their mates. There ought to be an object lesson here!

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 07:27:00 AM »
Yes - what the poor thing lacks in outward appearances, he makes up for with ambitious drum beats!

The angle from which I saw him did not expose the back of his head. It is likely he has a red cap and is of the "Downy Woodpeckers" although they do not have the black half-moon necklace as this little fellow has.

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 07:27:00 AM »
Humm, now I know why males of all ages can act really strange sometimes. They are trying to impress us???  LOL

Many times we too, try and impress God with our goodness. "Look God at what I have done". It is as worthless as a Jack Hammer banging on a house top. Far more worthless really, at least the bird may attract some attention in time after driving the human banana's listening to it. But we cannot impress God with our goodness, for it is only filthy rags. The only thing that impresses God, as I see it, is a humble person asking for the charactor and attitude of our Father and Saviour.  :)

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie