Author Topic: A Squirrel Tale!  (Read 4847 times)

Dora

• For the battle is not yours, but God's.
A Squirrel Tale!
« on: March 15, 2007, 05:04:00 PM »
Imagine my shock and consternation last Thursday morning when I walked into our living room and there sat a squirrel on the couch!  He/she jumped off, and dived for the basement, while I scramed to my husband "There is a squirrel in the house!!"

How did he get in?  All I could think of was that I had hung out sheets on the line, and my husband got them in about dusky dark.  Could it have gotten into the basket?  We may never know.  Anyway, we both searched the house over and could find no holes, nothing where even a mouse could have entered.

My husband got an animal cage from the game warden and we baited the trap with peanut butter and sunflower seeds.  On Friday morning the squirrel was sitting in the living room again, in spite of the rugs I had stuffed under the basement door.  So, my husband cut a piece of wood to fit under the door, and I prayed, "Lord, you brought all those animals into the ark, now please cause that squirrel to be hungry enough to go into that trap."

On Sabbath morning, we were able to open the door of the trap, and see one frightened squirrel dash wildly across the lawn.  He paused at a big tree, but then kept going, right into our neighbor's soybean field.  I hope he ran so far he has forgotten where we live, although I doubt it.

Not sure what kind of lesson to draw from the experience, except to be careful what we bring inside, and most of all that even with the smallest problems, (though this could have turned to a big problem) God Cares!!

------------------
Dora

Dora

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
A Squirrel Tale!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 05:19:00 PM »
Sister Dora, what an experience. Sounds like the time when I was small that our cat brought a mouse into the house that wasn't dead yet.  :)

Anyway... you bring out a good point. There are many times when we bring things in our homes either accidentally or knowingly but thinking it is no big deal. There are many things we could use as an example but I'm thinking of TV. Assuming that you can find good programming you still have to be accountable to the Lord for how you spent your time.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
A Squirrel Tale!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 08:02:00 PM »
It made me think of when satan gets us caught in his trap. When Jesus sets us free we too, should run for our life, never to return.  :)

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
A Squirrel Tale!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
Oh, Dora! What a shock! Sure glad you got the little critter! I love the Game and Fish people - they have rescued us from many bears!

I have one for you. My husband and I were on our way to visit my mom in south Texas. We made a stop at some friend's house who were gone, so we made ourselves at home. When entering the living room, there was a 10-foot rattle snake lounging along the BACK of the couch. My husband grabbed a golf club leaning in the corner and clubbed him to death! We did not sleep that night! Couches and living rooms - maybe these little critters want more social life! Ha!  ;D

My mama kitties used to bring in live gophers  placing them either under our bed or the bathtub to teach their kittens how to kill. We have since closed the kitty door to the outside! So many stories!

Then we have the bears who swing on the tree swings I have along the creek! Now that is something to stay inside for! Hello, Game and Fish!!! I would be happy for a squirrel!

For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
A Squirrel Tale!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 07:03:00 PM »
Animals are a blessing! We have gray squirrels and I really enjoy them. They get the almonds and pecans and I get to watch them.

One day the kids and I were sitting on the couch in the living room and all of sudden there was a noisy racket and then a large plume of ash dust coming from the fireplace right in front of us. To our amazement we witnessed the fall of one of our gray squirrels down the chimney!  Was he shocked!! Now he had another problem, how to get out of  the house. Poor fella!  We opened all the doors and scooted him out. This was the most interesting of our squirrel experiences, but not the only one!

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dora

• For the battle is not yours, but God's.
A Squirrel Tale!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 09:02:00 PM »
Sybil and Richard,
My "Squirrel Tale" doesn't seem half bad compared with your stories.  O, Sybil!  A rattlesnake!  I would have been sure there was a whole family or more of them!!  And, you have bears that swing in the trees along the creek??  I would never get a breath of fresh air!  

The worst things yet we have in KY are copperhead snakes, and I don't like it that we have so many coyotes, for they can be a danger to the small calves.  In a neighboring state some cougars were spotted; I hope they can recognize state lines, but, again, that is wishful thinking!!

Richard, we have one special squirrel who visits our yard, which we named Reddy, for he is a Fox squirrel, and fat as a butterball.  My husband puts out sunflower seeds every night on and near a large corner post, and it is such fun to watch him feed in the mornings.  Yes, animals are a blessing, but not in the house!!

------------------
Dora

Dora

JimB

• Servant
A Squirrel Tale!
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »
Sister Sybil, I'm almost jealous. I would love to be able to see bears in my backyard.

Sister Dora, big cats have always been a favorite of mine. In Heaven I'm going to have a pet tiger. There have been many sitings of a cougar (puma, mountain lion) near us. But the DNR (department of natural resources) keep denying that one exists. I keep hoping that I'm the next one to see it.  :)

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
A Squirrel Tale!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 12:25:00 PM »
Oh, Jim - it is something to see! When they come down to the creek for water, I get on the roof (a surrounding porch) and talk to them! But you can bet the mama is close by - that is why I run for the roof! They are fiercely protective and you certainly don't mess with them or attempt to go near them. The creek is about 50 yards away from my house and the only thing between them and me is double pane glass! If I can remember, the next time it happens, I'll shoot a photo and  ask Richard to post it.

Three years ago when there was no rain, thus no food for the bears, they were all over us. We could not walk out to our cars for fear of running into them - we could have no compost piles or leave garbage outside our garages. That is when I had all my apple trees removed. Anyway, a woman came home to find a bear in her house, it turned on her, killing her! It was horrible! The Game and Fish people believe they know the bear - a blonde colored brown bear. There is currently a shoot-to-kill out on her. She is very brazen and seemingly not afraid of people - so in dry seasons, we wear bells on our clothing when walking in the forest or on roads. We always remember we moved into their territories and most of the time must live by their rules! God bless them!

------------------
Sybil
"In times like these, we need a Savior!"

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
A Squirrel Tale!
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 12:48:00 PM »
Are they dinner bells?   :)  Why didn't the game warden track the bear the day it killed the lady?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
A Squirrel Tale!
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 02:10:00 PM »
Sigh.... yes, I realize that there are dangers involved. It is a bad thing when large wild animals become un-afraid of man. I didn't realize that there were babies involved I'd be on the roof also.

Brother Richard, Fox and Gray squirrels are my favorites. We are over-run with Black squirrels here. Thanks to Dr. Kellogg.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
A Squirrel Tale!
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by Jim B:
We are over-run with Black squirrels here. Thanks to Dr. Kellogg.

??? Tell us the story about that connection to Dr. Kellogg.

Richard: It was over a month before the woman was discovered - she lived alone - so they could not track the bear. The blonde bear had been spotted all over - it was as if there were several blonde bears matching her description - she seemed to be everywhere at one time. Her territory is huge and NM G&F simply do not have enough personnel to place an all-out hunt for her. Her trouble is that she is teaching her young to be as brazen as she is.

JimB

• Servant
A Squirrel Tale!
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by Sybil:
  ??? Tell us the story about that connection to Dr. Kellogg.

Her trouble is that she is teaching her young to be as brazen as she is.

Wow! is there not a lesson in this last statement??

Now for the story of our black squirrels. Black squirrels are not native to our area. However, they out number every other kind of squirrel by, I'd guess, 10 to 1. The story behind our black squirrels is that we did not have any until Dr. Kellogg brought a pair back from a trip to China. I tried to google the information but did not find anything. However, that is the story that is related in our area.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
A Squirrel Tale!
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 07:15:00 PM »
A rattle snake in the living room!! It would take a lot to beat that one!! I guess if one would call up the Sheriff to kill it that might take the top prize? In our home we are short on golf clubs!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
A Squirrel Tale!
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
No golf clubs here either. My mother's husband has every kind imaginable. It was late and we were tired after 14 hours on the road, so that golf club was our only solution. My husband was quite good as I had never seen him in mortal combat before! His German ire was brought to the surface! It should have been videoed! If I recall, I jumped on top of the dining room table and stayed there until all was over. We made sure the thing was quite dead by removing his head! It was high drama, that's for sure!

And yes, Jim, re: the mamma bear, it is a grand lesson for us regarding the teaching of our young, our influence and inclinations when hungry for food or anything else for that matter.