Author Topic: Snow ... how it melts around trees  (Read 11850 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Snow ... how it melts around trees
« on: February 21, 2007, 06:03:00 AM »
The incredible amount of snow has caused a casual notice of how it melts around the huge trees on my property. As deep as it has been, it has been fascinating to observe the first glimpse of earth showing through as a result of melting.

The first place is at the base of the trees. Interesting that the sun does not penetrate to that space. The melt is equal to the diameter of the extending branches of each individual tree. Large span, large melt - small span, small melt - according to the diameter of the tree. It suggests the warmth of the sun must extend from the tree down to the roots, thus warming the earth and melting the snow. The correlation is uncanny. It is prefectly balanced according to size.

Too much time on my hands to observe such a thing? Sometimes ...  ;D Any scientific thoughts on what is actually occurring?  

For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 06:27:00 AM »
Sister Sybil, out of curiosity are these trees evergreens or deciduous?
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 06:31:00 AM »
Evergreens

Nancy M

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 09:14:00 PM »
This is an excellent observation. Like you, I'll enjoy pondering on this one. And no, I'm sure it's not because you have too much time on your hands that God has pointed this out to your keen eye. We spend FAR to little time looking at God's work and FAR to much beholding our own.

God Bless You!
Cathy

"God is love."  1 John 4:8

Richard Sherwin

• Keeper of Bees
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 05:02:00 PM »
It's because there is not as much snow to begin with under the trees because the evergreen branches shed the snow out beyond the branches. I remember climbing in the Tetons one winter (yes I was crazy) and skirting big pine trees on the way to base camp where a slip would have put me into a hole 8 feet deep around the tree trunk.

Br. S

Laughter is an instant vacation

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »
Good explanation for your trees on the mountain! BUT ... some of the trees have been trimmed up to four feet so we could sit under them. The snow was 38" deep from the base of the tree trunk. So, can the interesting melt still be explained?

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 07:46:00 PM »
Here is a thought. When the sun comes out, it melts snow. Melted snow is water. Thin layers of snow will melt faster than a thick layer of snow. The ground snow is thicker than snow found elsewhere. Can this give a us clue?

When the sun came out, there could be snow or ice in the branches of the trees. This would melt faster than the snow on the ground. When it melts, it will turn to water. The dripping water would form a drip line that is no bigger than the tree in diameter. As the water drips it lands on the snow. Since the temps are now above freezing the water will melt the snow on the ground within the drip line.

Also, the trees shade much of the ground snow, but high in the tree the sun is directly hitting the snow and ice on the branches. Multiply the height of the tree times the amount of water being formed on just one branch. Could be quite a lot of water dripping into the drip area under the tree.

A Spiritual thought: Even those in darkness will benefit from from those who receive the light.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Nancy M

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 07:59:00 PM »
Men's minds are so interesting arn't they!
Cathy
"God is love."  1 John 4:8

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 05:12:00 AM »
Yes   ;D Although it is quite plausable! That does happen from the meltoff on the roof, causing a neat line around the house.

[This message has been edited by Sybil (edited 02-24-2007).]

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 05:40:00 AM »
I am leaning toward the warmth of the tree trunk extending down into the surface roots to warm the periphery.

Thank you for your observations ...  :)

Richard Sherwin

• Keeper of Bees
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »
I think I'll apply for a multi-million dollar government grant to study this mysterious phenomenon.

Actually the same thing happens in our yard, no matter what kind of tree it is. It has to do with the fact that, well, how do I put this? Well dogs tend to put warm water on the tree trunks to prove to the world that they had been there, thus melting the snow.

Brother Sherwin

Laughter is an instant vacation

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
You are undeniably hysterical!  ;D Split it with me, would you? We'll both sit and watch the snow melt!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Snow ... how it melts around trees
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 04:59:52 PM »
Ah ha! I was right although I LOVED Richard's answer about dripping branches! Makes perfect sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albedo

Basically, trees absorb more energy from the sunlight than the surrounding ground covered with snow. Which makes trees slightly warmer, which helps snow melt faster around the trees.

Because trees tend to have a low albedo, removing forests would tend to increase albedo and thereby cool the planet. Cloud feedbacks further complicate the issue. In seasonally snow-covered zones, winter albedos of treeless areas are 10% to 50% higher than nearby forested areas because snow does not cover the trees as readily.

Snow albedos can be as high as 90%. This is for the ideal example, however: fresh deep snow over a featureless landscape. Over Antarctica they average a little more than 80%.

If a marginally snow-covered area warms, snow tends to melt, lowering the albedo, and hence leading to more snowmelt (the ice-albedo positive feedback).

Sister Dee

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 07:06:29 PM »
Four years later we have the answer!   :D 

Since I'd never read on this topic before, it started me at the top.  Then I noticed a name or two I haven't seen around here for awhile and saw the year. 

You got snow up your way?  Or were you just bored (yeah, right!) or something?   ;D

The next time we get some snow, I'll be sure to watch for this!   ;)

Vicki

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 07:17:25 PM »
I noticed that 4 year wait, also, and had the same spiritual insight Richard posted - he just beat me to it by 4yrs + 1 month.   :) The true Christian will faithfully point to a loving Father above as faithfully as the tall evergreen points to the sky. The warmth received through the love of God will touch the searching hearts around us as surely as the warmth from the top of that tree spreads to it's base, melting the snow around it. The fruits that God blesses our tree with (love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance) can be experienced by all those around us as we inteact with them or with others in their sight/hearing as surely as the birds love to dwell safely in evergreens.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 08:23:57 PM »
2007 was a slow year, Sister Dee! I remember it fondly - time to study, time to tend the garden, time to polish the floors and actually starch and iron a few blouses. My, how things change!

We got an inch or so of snow last night but it left as quickly as it came. I was thrilled to find that answer today.  

Sister Dee

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 08:31:24 AM »
Oh, I meant yesterday were you bored?  Knowing something of what your life is like right now, I couldn't imagine it!   ;)

Starch blouses?   :o  Dear woman, you are most amazing! 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 09:32:03 AM »
Au contraire, tia. Not amazing at all. Unstarched shirts are a new thing in American culture.  ;) Old habits die hard.