Author Topic: Keep a look out for.....  (Read 96715 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Keep a look out for.....
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2006, 10:17:00 AM »
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/14nov_leonids.htm?list100606

Return of the Leonids

"We expect an outburst of more than 100 Leonids per hour," says Bill Cooke, the head of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office in Huntsville, AL. This pales in comparison to the Leonid storms of 2001 and 2002, when sky watchers saw thousands of meteors. Even so, a hundred per hour would make the Leonids one of the best showers of 2006.

Earth's encounter with the comet dust is going to be brief—"possibly no more than a few hours long," says Cooke. Forecasters differ on when the outburst will occur. Estimates range from 0445 UT to 0630 UT on Nov. 19th (11:45 p.m. on Nov. 18th to 1:30 am EST on Nov. 19th). The timing favors western Europe, Africa, Brazil and eastern parts of North America: map.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Liane H

• http://
Keep a look out for.....
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2006, 10:31:00 AM »
Current news has said Europe will have full view still for Saturday and Sunday nights, but that New England may have to contend with clouds and miss them.

As for us in California it is said we can see them in the pre-dawn morning a few every hour if we are brave enough to stand the cold for a few metors to see.

Maybe I will.

------------------
Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

JimB

• Servant
Keep a look out for.....
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2006, 04:35:00 AM »
GEMINID METEORS:  The Geminid meteor shower peaks tonight. Start watching around 9 p.m. local time on Wednesday, Dec. 13th. The display will start small but grow in intensity as the night wears on. By Thursday
morning, Dec. 14th, people in dark, rural areas could see one or two Geminids every minute.

Visit http://SpaceWeather.com for meteor observing tips, sky maps, and updates about solar activity.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
Keep a look out for.....
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2006, 08:24:00 PM »
Sounds interesting. But it is all clouded over here. We have had rain for days. Too bad.  :(

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

Richard Sherwin

• Keeper of Bees
Keep a look out for.....
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2006, 08:43:00 PM »
Wow what a night to be outside. As I was walking between my shop and the house I noticed Orion coming up in the East and then my attention was drawn to a luminescent glow to the North. It was the Aurora Borealis or Northern Lights. They had a little bit of the curtain like presence rarely seen around here plus the glow that extended overhead and to the South of our old homestead. And then to top it off there was the occasional meteorite streaking across the glow, especially one that started out the usual white and turned red before it met it's end.

What an awesome Creator that put in our skies a light show like that, and it didn't cost a dime, just a bit of time and cold ears.

Brother Sherwin

Laughter is an instant vacation

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Keep a look out for.....
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2006, 09:28:00 PM »
Amen!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Liane H

Keep a look out for.....
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2006, 04:32:00 AM »
No rain but very cloudy days with specks of sun and cloudy nights, but was unable to see anything.

There is beauty everywhere if we desire to take the time to look. This is nothing compared to what we will see and have in Heaven and the New Earth.

Thanks Brother Sherwin for the beautiful discription of what you saw.

------------------
Liane, the Zoo Mama

Liane, the Zoo Mama

JimB

• Servant
Keep a look out for.....
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2006, 04:56:00 AM »
Brother Sherwin, can I ask what time that was? I was out on purpose to watch for those very things but things clouded up a little so I gave up about 11pm.

In the midst of setting up my binoculars on the tripod I discovered that my binoculars are broken!  :(  When looking through them the eyes never line up together and I can hear a lens that is loose inside. Time to start saving my pennies again I guess.

I'm that the northern lights should be visible again tonight. Keep your eyes peeled.

Richard Sherwin

• Keeper of Bees
Keep a look out for.....
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2006, 12:47:00 PM »
It was around 8PM, maybe a bit before and it lasted for about an hour.

Cloudy here in the central MI at the moment, maybe it will clear up before tonight. Of course I'll be at the GLAA Christmas concert...

Brother Sherwin

Richard Sherwin

• Keeper of Bees
Keep a look out for.....
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2006, 05:18:00 PM »
Jim there was a great picture in the GR Press of the lights last night, one area was really red and right next to it was the usual greenish glow. It was really great I know here. Sorry you missed it ;D

Brother "rubbing it in" Sherwin

Sister Marie

Keep a look out for.....
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2006, 06:45:00 PM »
I would have loved to see that. Today was the first day in many days that I seen any sun. Very cold tonight....down to 30 it says. and no higher than 31 at night all week. Rain again for two days. Maybe someday I will see these beautiful things. Is there any website that shows what happened??

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

JimB

• Servant
Keep a look out for.....
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2006, 07:58:00 PM »
Brother "rubbing it in-Sherwin".... well I guess I should not have waited. I could have been outside at 8pm but I thought I read that it wouldn't start till after 9:30pm. That is what I get for listening to the experts!  :)

Sister Glass, try... wwww.spaceweather.com

Liane H

Keep a look out for.....
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2006, 03:13:00 AM »
Though we have had the clouds for rain and snow we have received none and also missing out on the great experience. Thanks for the website link.

------------------
Liane, the Zoo Mama

Liane, the Zoo Mama

JimB

• Servant
Keep a look out for.....
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2007, 11:26:00 AM »
Space Weather News for March 1, 2007
http://spaceweather.com

TOTAL LUNAR ECLIPSE:  Set aside some time this weekend for sky
watching.  On Saturday night, March 3rd, there's going to be a total eclipse of
the Moon.  This means the Moon will glide through the heart of Earth's
shadow and turn a beautiful shade of sunset red.  Totality can be seen
from parts of all seven continents including all of Europe and Africa
and the eastern half of North America.  

----------------------------
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2007/12feb_lunareclipse.htm

In the USA, the eclipse will already be underway when the moon rises on Saturday evening. Observing tip: Find a place with a clear view of the eastern horizon and station yourself there at sunset. As the sun goes down behind you, a red moon will rise before your eyes.

Rising moons are often reddened by clouds or pollution, but this moon will be the deep, extraordinary red only seen during a lunar eclipse. As you watch it ascend into the night, imagine what it would be like to stand by Shackleton Crater watching from the opposite direction.

[This message has been edited by Jim B (edited 03-01-2007).]

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Keep a look out for.....
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2007, 12:42:00 PM »
Hey! You are quick on the draw, Jim - I was going to post a reminder - there is already a topic for this for Moon to turn Red on March 3, or something like that! Great minds ...  ???   ;D !!! Thanks!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

JimB

• Servant
Keep a look out for.....
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2007, 09:05:00 AM »
Did anyone get to see this? It was snowing out here so I couldn't.

Sister Marie

Keep a look out for.....
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
I was watching with friends and it was really beautiful coming up, but from here it did not show red. My son seen it, I think from Redding, and he seen it red there. They are much higher and would have a better eye shot of it. I would think they may be able to see it sooner than we, when it was red. I was disappointed. But my son said it was something else.

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Keep a look out for.....
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2007, 12:36:00 PM »
I missed it ... heard it was beautiful!

JimB

• Servant
Keep a look out for.....
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2007, 05:32:00 AM »
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2007/11jul_greatperseids.htm?list100606

Got a calendar? Circle this date: Sunday, August 12th. Next to the circle write "all night" and "Meteors!" Attach the above to your refrigerator in plain view so you won't miss the 2007 Perseid meteor shower.

"It's going to be a great show," says Bill Cooke of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office at the Marshall Space Flight Center. "The Moon is new on August 12th--which means no moonlight, dark skies and plenty of meteors." How many? Cooke estimates one or two Perseids per minute at the shower's peak.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Keep a look out for.....
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2007, 11:09:00 AM »
Bringing current - August 12 is in a few days!