Author Topic: Keep a look out for.....  (Read 96718 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Keep a look out for.....
« Reply #240 on: August 14, 2015, 10:24:27 AM »
I am not a pro, so my neck got tired after about ten minutes.  Saw some bright ones and a few not so great. I am near a town so it was not real dark. Thanks for the  info, Jim.

What impressed me much more was the amazing view of the heavens which do indeed declare the glory of God!!  We live too much indoors and not enough outside at night. What an amazing creation we have before  us!!  Soon, by God's grace, we shall have a better view!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #241 on: August 14, 2015, 10:34:20 AM »
Sigh... it was big dud in my neck of the woods also. I actually got up super early to see but after 40 minutes and not seeing one I went back to bed. Perseids usually produce a decent show but this year and last year was disppointing.

I usually at least try. A few years back I was out backpacking during the perseids and was on the shore of Lake Superior. It was indeed a sight to make you wonder at the glory of God and His creation. We laid back on the sand in complete darkness watched a decent show for close to an hour before heading back to our tents. The Lord is good to give us something that tends to make us think outside of ourselves!
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #242 on: May 07, 2016, 05:27:11 PM »
TRANSIT OF MERCURY: On Monday morning, May 9th, Mercury will pass directly between Earth and the sun, producing a rare transit visible from the Americas, Europe, Africa and parts of Asia.  Visit Spaceweather.com for observing tips and links to live webcasts.

I've been meaning to purchase a pair of welder's goggles or eclipse glasses for such events and looks like I'm a little too late for this one. However, I will be ready for next years full solar eclipse.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #243 on: May 08, 2016, 08:09:13 AM »
Find a welder and borrow his helmet.   :)
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #244 on: August 09, 2016, 11:07:52 AM »
I've already seen several this week. Maybe it will be a strong one this year...

http://www.space.com/32868-perseid-meteor-shower-guide.html

Vicki

« Reply #245 on: August 13, 2016, 05:42:26 AM »
Thank you once again Jim for alerting us to this opportunity. It was a spectacular event. You first started us star gazing 7 years ago, and son and I have made it "our thing" whenever there is an opportunity. What a blessing it has been!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #246 on: August 15, 2016, 08:45:33 AM »
Amen! We were in the country Sabbath night. Had a tent and left the rainfly off. The heavens declare the glory of God!!

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #247 on: August 20, 2016, 05:24:27 AM »
Thank you once again Jim for alerting us to this opportunity. It was a spectacular event. You first started us star gazing 7 years ago, and son and I have made it "our thing" whenever there is an opportunity. What a blessing it has been!

Well Vicki, I'm glad you could see it in all it's glory. Here as we approached peak we got clouds and storms. I've heard reports of people seeing a couple of hundred in just 90 minutes. This year I'll have to be happy with the few remaining remnants that can be seen for a couple of more weeks.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #248 on: August 02, 2017, 08:09:12 AM »
19 Days until some will experience (assuming no clouds) a total solar eclipse. Will anyone here be in the path?

Click to enlarge

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #249 on: August 02, 2017, 12:32:36 PM »
If you're not in the path and if this old world should last till 2024 you will have another chance.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #250 on: August 02, 2017, 04:47:46 PM »
19 Days until some will experience (assuming no clouds) a total solar eclipse. Will anyone here be in the path?

I got cheated.  The rest of my family will be in Tennessee, right in the path of totality, while I get 50% up here.  I was in Washington State for the  one in 1979, but it was cloudy.  It got dark for a few minutes (like a half hour after sundown), but that's it.  There was an annular eclipse about 25 years ago that I experienced.  The light was really weird while the moon was in the center of the sun.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #251 on: August 03, 2017, 05:18:50 AM »
I am waiting for the 2045 pass!  :)  We pray that only Satan will endure the darkness he already will be used to. And, even if by some strange thing we would still be here, some of us may have difficulty seeing much of it.  :)

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #252 on: August 03, 2017, 05:40:23 AM »
I got cheated.  The rest of my family will be in Tennessee, right in the path of totality, while I get 50% up here. 

Wally, seems like I might end up someplace near your family then. It's been almost two years since I've been down to see my brother so I thought this might be a good time. :)

I am waiting for the 2045 pass!  :)  We pray that only Satan will endure the darkness he already will be used to. And, even if by some strange thing we would still be here, some of us may have difficulty seeing much of it.  :)

I like your thought process Richard. Hard to imagine but if this world should last until 2045 I'd be in my mid 70's hopefully by then my eyes hadn't failed me yet. :)  If I were to wait until one passes directly over my head I'd have to wait until 2099.

According to an article I read these eclipses are rarer than one would think. If everyone never left where they lived there is only about 1 per 360 years for any one spot on the earth. However, Los Angeles being the exception and they'd have to wait 1000 years.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #253 on: August 11, 2017, 06:46:06 AM »
Here is a blow by blow account of the areas in the direct path. Path and local times of the total eclipse

Only America will see the eclipse this year. Next one is in seven years. Canada, the US, and Mexico will be in the path.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #254 on: August 11, 2017, 06:56:25 AM »
There appears to be some disagreement over total solar eclipses. Here is a site that says the last one was in 1991.  source  It makes the point that these are very rare events and if you can get into the path of totality, it will be worth it, IF there is an open sky, the sun not covered by clouds. Do not look at the sun without special glasses to protect your eyes.

Cop

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #255 on: August 11, 2017, 08:37:58 AM »
There was a solar eclipse in May 1980 in which approx. 90% of the sun was blocked in this part of Texas. If I remember correctly, Galveston island had the sun completely blocked. The eclipse traveled from the Pacific, across Mexico, through the Gulf Of Mexico, and came ashore near the Texas-Louisiana border and went across much of the South.

At least I got to see an eclipse once.
My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me....That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."
— Stonewall Jackson

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #256 on: August 11, 2017, 01:45:11 PM »
And this will be the second time, Cop!  My guess is that you will see about 70% of the sun blocked.  Unless you have cloud cover. :(

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #257 on: August 11, 2017, 07:20:08 PM »
If this type of thing interests you, you're probably already aware of this but here is an interactive map with the path of the eclipse.

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_GoogleMapFull.html

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #258 on: August 21, 2017, 06:18:29 AM »
Today's the day!!    source

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #259 on: August 23, 2017, 05:49:36 AM »
Did anyone get to see totality?