Author Topic: Keep a look out for.....  (Read 96736 times)

carls365

Re: Keep a look out for.....
« Reply #200 on: May 21, 2012, 10:58:02 AM »
The sun appeared to be wearing sunglasses, blocking it's brightness.  8) That's what I noticed to remind me it was time to view it properly. The guys went to the neighbors and looked at it through his welding mask.

Haha! smart me! I do welding and have all sorts of different density glasses but never thought to look at the sun with it. Well, my age is beginning to show!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #201 on: May 21, 2012, 11:26:51 AM »
 :o I have some in the garage and would have never thought of it either! Great idea for next time.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Vicki

« Reply #202 on: May 21, 2012, 12:00:41 PM »
I was unsettled with the thought of using a $2 pair of 3-D glasses. A welding mask just seemed more appropriate. We do have a sun viewer attachment for our telescope but couldn't find it. That would have been spectacular.

Weezie

« Reply #203 on: May 21, 2012, 01:19:38 PM »
Hi all,

I'm a frequent reader, but haven't posted before.  I had to let you know, though, that you shouldn't use just any welder’s glasses.  Only #14s will do. 

Per http://www.perkins-observatory.org/eclipsesafety.html:

(METHOD 3) Welder's Glass

Welding glass is used to protect welders from eye damage. The potential damage does not come from hot sparks hitting the eye (although that is a possibility). Rather, the glass prevents the light from the very hot arc from burning an image of itself permanently onto the back of the eye.

Be careful that you use the right kind of glass! Welder's glass is numbered from 1 to 14 with 14 being the darkest. It is only number 14 glass that is dark enough for solar viewing! And NO STACKING! A pair of number 7's or a 10 and a 4 together DO NOT have the same protection as a single piece of number 14 (see unsafe methods for more details).

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #204 on: May 21, 2012, 03:23:32 PM »
Well, hello, Weezie! Love your name!

Thank you for the tip! It is noted!  :)

Vicki

« Reply #205 on: May 21, 2012, 05:57:22 PM »
I was wondering if there were different shades. Thank you for the advice before something went wrong. Nice to hear from you!  :)

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
« Reply #206 on: May 21, 2012, 06:43:35 PM »
....you shouldn't use just any welder’s glasses.  Only #14s will do. 

Oops! I'll have to ask our neighbor whether he let me look through any number other than a #14. -Haven't noticed any "sand" in my eyes....yet.
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

carls365

« Reply #207 on: May 21, 2012, 07:08:32 PM »
Yes I do have #14 shade in the helmet, I used it for carbon arc brazing.

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #208 on: May 25, 2012, 06:11:58 PM »
I live too far east to have seen the eclipse, since it was due just about sunset; and I had other things on my mind at the time.  :-\ But I remember the full eclipse back in '83 in the Southeast. Hubby had been a welder and had a dark glass for his shield. I used that to view the sun, and had no problems. Whether it was a #14 or not, I have no idea, but it worked.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #209 on: May 29, 2012, 07:21:12 AM »
On June 4th there will be a partial lunar eclipse. You can learn more about it here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aszUiI6J-L8

But then don't forget on June 5th (if you have proper equipment as discussed earlier) that there Venus will traveling in front of the sun and you can learn more about that here..

http://www.space.com/15541-venus-transit-sun-2012-guide-infographic.html
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #210 on: June 01, 2012, 08:04:14 PM »
Astronomers Predict Titanic Collision: Milky Way vs. Andromeda

May 31, 2012:  NASA astronomers say they can now predict with certainty the next major cosmic event to affect our galaxy, sun, and solar system: the titanic collision of our Milky Way galaxy with the neighboring Andromeda galaxy.

The Milky Way is destined to get a major makeover during the encounter, which is predicted to happen four billion years from now. It is likely the sun will be flung into a new region of our galaxy, but our Earth and solar system are in no danger of being destroyed.

"After nearly a century of speculation about the future destiny of Andromeda and our Milky Way, we at last have a clear picture of how events will unfold over the coming billions of years," says Sangmo Tony Sohn of the Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) in Baltimore.

"Our findings are statistically consistent with a head-on collision between the Andromeda galaxy and our Milky Way galaxy," adds Roeland van der Marel of the STScI.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2012/31may_andromeda/

What a godless unbelieving bunch! Well, let's see - what will we be doing in four billion years? Meeting once more at the Tree of Life, sitting at the feet of Jesus so we may better understand redemption's story, traveling to another unknown world to behold His other creations, reaping from our own gardens which will never fail, giving another testimony of Jesus' incredible love and guidance while we lived on this earth ...

Four billion years and that is only the beginning! 

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #211 on: June 01, 2012, 08:16:17 PM »
I also saw that story. It reminds of the times when the world's best scientists said that the sun revolved around or that the world was flat. This reminds me of Job when he thought he understood things. God had to step in and ask him a few questions.

Job 38:1  Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said,
Job 38:2  Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?
Job 38:3  Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.
Job 38:4  Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
Job 38:5  Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
Job 38:6  Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
Job 38:7  When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #212 on: June 01, 2012, 08:21:07 PM »
Amen! I just love those questions, don't you?  :)

Vicki

« Reply #213 on: June 02, 2012, 06:54:43 AM »
I saw the headlines, too. It reminded me of a catastrophe that is coming much sooner.

Isaiah 13:
13 Therefore I will shake the heavens, and the earth shall remove out of her place, in the wrath of the LORD of hosts, and in the day of his fierce anger.
14 And it shall be as the chased roe, and as a sheep that no man taketh up . . .

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #214 on: July 03, 2012, 05:12:32 PM »
Early morning bright shining "stars." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTxazv-wdp4

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #215 on: July 10, 2012, 10:33:54 PM »
NASA has some real winners. :(   Not all are this far fetched.  :)  I guess we expect such things just before the end.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #216 on: September 03, 2012, 12:36:18 PM »
From Spaceweather.com

CME IMPACT, GEOMAGNETIC STORM: As expected, a coronal mass ejection hit Earth on Sept. 3rd at approximately 1200 UT (5 am PDT). The impact induced significant ground currents in the soil of northern Scandinavia and sparked bright auroras around the Arctic Circle. A moderate geomagnetic storm is underway. Aurora alerts: text, phone.

Jonathan Tucker photographed this display over Whitehorse in the Yukon Territories during the early hours of Sept. 3rd:

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #217 on: September 04, 2012, 07:01:31 PM »
Maybe that's what's going on with my internet when it zones out for a few minutes the last couple of days.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #218 on: January 23, 2013, 02:57:45 PM »
I know this is a bit early to be looking for this comet but it's a little exciting to think that this might be bright enough to see during the day. In another article I read some are saying that this might be the "comet of 1680" but I haven't yet looked that up so I don't know what that means.

If you think you need a clear night sky to see a comet, think again and mark this date on your calendar: November 28, 2013, when a recently-discovered comet will be seen briefly at daytime.

Dubbed ISON, the comet was discovered by Russians Vitali Nevski and Artyom Novichonok last Sept. 21, though they announced the discovery Sept. 24, Space.com reported.
Source

Vicki

« Reply #219 on: January 23, 2013, 03:09:32 PM »
... "comet of 1680" but I haven't yet looked that up so I don't know what that means.

Wikipedia: Comet of 1680 was the 1st comet discovered by telescope. It could also be seen in the daytime & had a long tail.

I'll mark my calendar!