Author Topic: Keep a look out for.....  (Read 96716 times)

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
Re: Keep a look out for.....
« Reply #180 on: October 17, 2011, 06:47:17 AM »
What goes up must come down. It's getting to the place where Chicken Little is right: the sky is falling, or at least seems that way.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Vicki

« Reply #181 on: October 17, 2011, 07:04:00 AM »
 :o Mankind without God sure makes a mess of things.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #182 on: October 22, 2011, 04:33:21 PM »
Keep a look out for a 1.7 ton mirror falling from the sky! Yikes! 

Which room in my house will be the safest?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #183 on: October 23, 2011, 02:53:30 AM »
The one they have reserved for you on the International Space Station. Can't think of any place here strong enough to withstand impact!

Current best estimates place the re-entry between Oct. 22nd and 24th over an unknown part of Earth.

Today is the 23rd.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #184 on: October 23, 2011, 03:27:44 AM »
From an e-mail sitting in my Inbox this morning:

ROSAT HAS RE-ENTERED: According to Germany's space agency (the DLR), ROSAT re-entered Earth's atmosphere on Oct. 23rd sometime between 1:45 UT and 2:15 UT. So far, no credible sightings of the fireball have been reported, and officials don't know how much debris might have reached the ground. Check the DLR's Facebook page for updates. http://www.facebook.com/DLRen

(Warning: content includes objectionable language)

Here is Rosat's site with more info: http://www.dlr.de/dlr/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-10432/620_read-830/

If you have a basic knowledge of German, here is a video on what the re-entry will be like: http://www.dlr.de/dlr/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-10433/622_read-833/

Maybe CNN International will be helpful!  ;)
http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/22/world/germany-space-satellite/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #185 on: October 23, 2011, 09:56:44 AM »
UPDATE:

Washington Post

Scientists are attempting to determine where this thing landed, which it did earlier this morning. They are suspecting Asia, "somewhere between the Indian Ocean off the coast of Myanmar, further inland in Myanmar or as far inland as China."

But there was no immediate solid evidence to determine where exactly the satellite entered the atmosphere, indicating it did not hit a populated area, said Andreas Schuetz, spokesman for the German Aerospace Center.

The center said the satellite entered between 0145 and 0215 GMT Sunday (9:45 p.m. and 10:15 p.m. Saturday EDT) and would have taken only 10 or 15 minutes to hit the ground.

Hours before the re-entry into the atmosphere the center said the satellite was not expected to hit over Europe, Africa or Australia. According to the satellite’s predicted path, scientists estimated it could have been above Asia at the time of its re-entry.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #186 on: December 23, 2011, 07:50:55 AM »
On December 26, keep a look out for: http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2011/23dec_nightafter/

On Dec. 26th, the night after Christmas, Venus and the slender crescent Moon will gather for a jaw-dropping conjunction in the western sky.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #187 on: December 23, 2011, 10:27:33 AM »
Stunning photos and video!

More Space News:

COMET LOVEJOY FROM ORBIT: Veteran astronaut Dan Burbank has seen many amazing things. Once, he even flew through the aurora borealis. So when Burbank says "[Comet Lovejoy] is the most amazing thing I have ever seen in space," it really means something. Currently serving onboard the International Space Station, Burbank photographed the sungrazing comet on Dec. 21st, an experience he describes in this NASA video

http://spaceweather.com/

Vicki

« Reply #188 on: December 28, 2011, 07:00:30 AM »
The crescent Moon and Venus were indeed jaw dropping! Such a beautiful night sky we enjoyed.

"The heaven for  height . . . is unsearchable." Proverbs 25:3

The immenseness of it all is spectacular.

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #189 on: December 29, 2011, 11:11:51 AM »
Managed to get a photo of the moon and Venus. Even with all the outside ambient light, these two outshone them all.

O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Marelis

« Reply #190 on: December 29, 2011, 11:17:59 AM »
Oh wow!
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #191 on: January 03, 2012, 01:41:07 PM »
If you enjoy the sight of "shooting stars" then make plans to be out looking skyward during the predawn hours on Wednesday (Jan. 4) when a strong display of Quadrantid meteors may appear. This first meteor shower of the year may end up being one of the best of 2012.

http://www.space.com/14092-quadrantid-meteor-shower-peaks-january-4.html

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #192 on: April 22, 2012, 11:46:03 AM »
I think we just missed the Lyrid meteor shower but apparently it's not usually a big show anyway.

However, for my friends in southern OR, northern CA, UT, NV, AZ, NM, & TX you might interested in this annular solar eclipse scheduled for May 20th, 2012. If you want to know if you'll be able to see it you can look at these 2 links. The 2nd link has much more detailed maps of the exact path of this eclipse.

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2012May20Agoogle.html

http://eclipse-maps.com/Eclipse-Maps/Gallery/Pages/Annular_solar_eclipse_of_2012_May_20.html
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #193 on: May 16, 2012, 04:07:55 PM »
Just a little reminder for the news item above.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #194 on: May 20, 2012, 09:36:51 PM »
Amazing how bright the sun is!!  Almost a full eclipse and you can't see any darkness with the naked eye!! And you could easily damage your eyes trying!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #195 on: May 21, 2012, 04:19:44 AM »
I'm glad you folks out west got to witness the eclipse.  It was a sunny day in 1994 when the annular eclipse passed through Maine.  I did the pinhole thing, but what really was striking to me was the way the daylight changed.  I can't describe it.  It was sunny, but yet it wasn't normal; the normal brightness was diminished.  Very odd.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #196 on: May 21, 2012, 05:54:48 AM »
Yes, same here yesterday. It was at its peak when I was driving to town. Most of the traffic pulled over to see it.

http://mashable.com/2012/05/19/show-us-your-eclipse-photos/

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #197 on: May 21, 2012, 09:16:16 AM »
I did not notice a thing.  It was rather shocking that most of the sun could be covered and yet it would be impossible to look at it. And, there was no darkness. And, again, if someone had not told me that there was an eclipse, I never would have suspected.

carls365

« Reply #198 on: May 21, 2012, 09:25:34 AM »
I noticed a extra sharpness to edges of shadows and the sunlight was lacking it's usual harsh brightness. The lowering of contrast in the light was kind of disturbing. I wondered how it would affect all living things if the eclipse continued for a long length of time. Perhaps the less ultraviolet may lessen skin tumors? The eclipse brought to mind EGW saying "dark, dark world"

Vicki

« Reply #199 on: May 21, 2012, 09:59:19 AM »
The sun appeared to be wearing sunglasses, blocking it's brightness.  8) That's what I noticed to remind me it was time to view it properly. The guys went to the neighbors and looked at it through his welding mask.