Author Topic: Keep a look out for.....  (Read 96717 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Re: Keep a look out for.....
« Reply #220 on: February 10, 2013, 04:21:09 PM »
Possible naked-eye comet coming soon....

In June 2011 a comet appeared, and it was named "Pan-STARRS" after  the acronym for the telescope.

In early March, the comet will pass about 100 million miles from Earth as it briefly dips inside the orbit of Mercury.  Most experts expect it to become a naked-eye object about as bright as the stars of the Big Dipper.
Auroras Underfoot (signup)

"But" says Karl Battams of the Naval Research Lab, "prepare to be surprised. A new comet from the Oort Cloud is always an unknown quantity equally capable of spectacular displays or dismal failures."  Source

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #221 on: March 04, 2013, 05:08:19 PM »
Just bumping this current. According to the following news if you're in the southern hemisphere you should be able to see this comet now and those who live in the northern hemisphere will have to wait until after it passes the the sun on March 10th.

Comet Pan-STARRS (C/2011 L4) is inside the orbit of Mercury, brightening as it plunges toward the sun. Observers in the southern hemisphere say they can see Pan-STARRS with the unaided eye in the evening sunset sky. Source
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Vicki

« Reply #222 on: March 05, 2013, 07:00:31 PM »
Thank you! It looks like March 12th & 13th will be the best views. It's marked on our calendar!

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #223 on: March 09, 2013, 12:26:39 PM »
Observers in the northern hemisphere are making their first sightings now as the comet emerges from solar glare low in the western sky after sunset.  Soon, the comet could be widely visible to casual sky watchers--no telescope required.  Visit http://spaceweather.com for images, sky maps and observing tips.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #224 on: March 17, 2013, 12:00:34 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has been able to see this yet. I think tonight might be my only chance as it's suppose to cloud up and rain and snow starting tomorrow.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #225 on: March 17, 2013, 06:08:41 PM »
The sun is just setting here in the southwest. I'll go out in a little bit!  :)
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #226 on: July 26, 2013, 01:29:42 PM »
NASA Science News for July 26, 2013

New research by NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office shows that one annual meteor shower produces more fireballs than any other--the Perseids. This year's Perseid peak is just around the corner on August 12-13.

FULL STORY: http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2013/26jul_perseids/

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #227 on: August 07, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »
Reminder ...  :)

"We have found that one meteor shower produces more fireballs than any other," Bill Cooke of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office said in a statement. "It's the Perseid meteor shower, which peaks on August 12th and 13th."

http://www.accuweather.com/en/features/trend/perseid_meteor_shower_augusts/16237358

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #228 on: August 07, 2013, 05:25:19 PM »
I can testify to the fact I've seen more meteors with the Perseid shower than the others. If your sky is clear it usually doesn't disappoint.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #229 on: August 11, 2013, 05:55:23 AM »
PERSEID METEOR SHOWER INTENSIFIES: The Perseid meteor shower is intensifying as Earth moves deeper into the debris stream of parent comet 109P/Swift-Tuttle. International observers are reporting as many as 30 Perseids per hour from dark sky sites, a rate which could triple on August 12-13 when the shower peaks. The best time to look is during the dark hours between local midnight and sunrise.  http://spaceweather.com/

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #230 on: August 12, 2013, 03:25:07 AM »
It appears to have skipped my neighborhood.  I got up early to go out and look, and saw nothing other than the usual stars.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #231 on: August 12, 2013, 04:58:40 AM »
... and we are cloud-covered this morning. It's a blessing, but it blinds us to this event. Maybe tomorrow.

Vicki

« Reply #232 on: August 12, 2013, 05:05:33 AM »
That's disappointing.

4:20 - 4:50am. 'Twas a lonely vigil at my house; I watched the sky and the dog watched me. The stars were amazingly bright. I saw over a dozen shooting stars plus two satellites. I assumed they would all be in one direction but they were every which way. I should go read about this again.

A sleepy boy just wandered out. Out I go again.

Vicki

« Reply #233 on: August 12, 2013, 05:31:22 AM »
5am is too light. There's a spiritual lesson there about sleeping too long and missing out.

"The meteors will always travel in a path away from the constellation for which the shower is named." Link

That's what I thought. The first ones I saw were heading in an easterly direction, then they slowly rotated toward the south until the last one was almost heading west. That seems like too much of a turn. It would be nice to find a diagram of the comet. More research later.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #234 on: August 12, 2013, 12:18:24 PM »
Went out at 3am and saw about one meteor a minute.  It was my cat, my dog and me!  :)  They just wanted me, not the light show!

I was a little perplexed as to why the meteors were going in different directions. It would seem that they would be all going in the same direction. I watched for about 20 minutes. After living in such an active world, it is a little hard to watch one a minute, especially when half of them are not very bright. If I were at a higher elevation, I could stay all night. The heavens declare the glory of God. But, down low, the heavens have a hard time getting through the atmosphere and the dirty air, and the light from nearby town. Wearing glasses doesn't help either. Especially as I remember that Moses' eyes were not dimmed at 120 years of age.  I'll juice a little kale tomorrow!  :)

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #235 on: August 12, 2013, 04:04:36 PM »
I had clouds and still do today. Am hoping that things will clear up. I think tonight is suppose to be good also. If you are interested here is a link to a service that tries to predict the "clearness" of evening skies for astronomical observations. This link is for Anchorage, AK but you can put in almost any city or lat, long. It's a little hard to understand at first but with a little study it's not too bad.

http://cleardarksky.com/c/AnchorAKkey.html?1

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #236 on: December 30, 2013, 01:22:39 PM »
NASA’s All Sky Fireball Network  http://fireballs.ndc.nasa.gov/

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #237 on: August 11, 2015, 07:04:37 PM »
Now for the good news:  The 2015 Perseid meteor shower is here, and the Moon will be dark when it peaks.

Last year, the Perseid meteor shower peaked during the nights around a bright “supermoon.”  Lunar glare reduced the visibility of the Perseids as much as 5 fold to as few as 20 per hour. This year however, is different.

Under a clear, dark sky far from city lights, “We expect meteor rates as high as 100 per hour on peak night,” says Cooke.

Source

Vicki

« Reply #238 on: August 12, 2015, 11:38:42 AM »
Thank you, Jim! With a weather forecast of clear skies, this looks promising.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #239 on: August 12, 2015, 04:20:35 PM »
Yes. We have clear skies here also. Last night before midnight I saw one really bright one. Tonight I'm thinking about hitting the sack a couple of hours early so I can get up early. Time will tell.